Community Member

Default anti-magic field, according to Hoyle

/rant

To the noob monk who ran with my bard today in a Hound run: I'm sorry I didn't try to explain more than one time what a beholder's anti-magic field is (because, you know, it's hard to figure out from just the name that it is a field where there is no magic), but I'm tired of trying to impart fact from myth, especially when the Hound is involved.

However, be assured I did cast GH and FOM on you every time you asked for it just before you went rushing to fight each beholder, because, honestly, I was hoping you'd figure it out for yourself. And yes, I do use Extend (in fact I never turn it off), and no, I didn't "short" you of those spells. I explained once why you didn't need those buffs, you obviously do not listen, so after that I just gave you whatever you asked for because I'm cutting back on wasting energy on idiots.

Have fun getting to 20! Hope you liked your first Hound raid!

/rant off

[smoking]

Ok, sorry, thanks for letting me do that.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhrobbins View Post
    /rant

To the noob monk who ran with my bard today in a Hound run: I'm sorry I didn't try to explain more than one time what a beholder's anti-magic field is (because, you know, it's hard to figure out from just the name that it is a field where there is no magic), but I'm tired of trying to impart fact from myth, especially when the Hound is involved.
    Actually it's an antimagic ray, which can be dodged, and is only usable if you're in front of the beholder.

...but yes, sounds like he was getting hit by said ray and not dodging it.
    The Free Companions
    Eurytos, Eury, Furytos, Eurytrikos, Durytos, Alternate, Grid, Gridd, Radic, Narayana
    "I don't set goals, because if I set goals, I set limits for myself."

Community Member

Dont you start with me, I am not in the mood!

Sorry, sorry ... just still wound up a bit tight ...

Community Member

While we're on the subject, don't you also just love the fact that you can be in the anti-magic field and still be hit by the beholder's magical effects? Though it could be worse. I had a DM have the party use the fly spell up a vertical hole only to run into a beholder just before we got to the top. Needless to say, we all fell, some to our deaths, others to be mangled beyond recognition. Laughter was spread among all as the buckets of falling dice damage were dished out.
    Khyber - "Hand of the Black Tower" - Anikah, Fillia, Hakina, Meemi, Vencinni, Leihples
    Taevari, Vorlorn, Selphiel, Xitri, Irtix, Zentri

I particularly enjoy using the invisible ray, and the desintigrate ray for stealth assassinations, or to make ladders dissapear at the darndest of times..... "Oh, were you climbing that ladder? So sorry, now: it's a 500 foot fall from here, do you have featherfall?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald_Gobblesnot View Post
    While we're on the subject, don't you also just love the fact that you can be in the anti-magic field and still be hit by the beholder's magical effects? Though it could be worse. I had a DM have the party use the fly spell up a vertical hole only to run into a beholder just before we got to the top. Needless to say, we all fell, some to our deaths, others to be mangled beyond recognition. Laughter was spread among all as the buckets of falling dice damage were dished out.
    You can in fact also hit a beholder from in front but from afar using enlarge. I've done this a few times in the sub on the way to the hound. A quick Energy Drain, Hold Monster, then FOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    Actually it's an antimagic ray, which can be dodged, and is only usable if you're in front of the beholder.

...but yes, sounds like he was getting hit by said ray and not dodging it.
    isn't it a cone rather than ray?
    Ishamiel ~Rhayak ~ Badhorse ~Kyode ~ Drhorrible ~ Hjealmeh
    ChaosKnights ~~~ Argonnessan
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    That's pretty awesome. Armor plated earslugs...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    isn't it a cone rather than ray?
    Well yes, but still, it can be dodged. It dispels you and stops you from being able to cast for a few seconds. It's not an "antimagic field" where there is no magic at all as stated by posters above.
    The Free Companions
    Eurytos, Eury, Furytos, Eurytrikos, Durytos, Alternate, Grid, Gridd, Radic, Narayana
    "I don't set goals, because if I set goals, I set limits for myself."