Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General Build Theory?

Hi,
    New to DDO and having a lot of fun with planning out different builds. Started to figure out some of the rules that go into the basic theory (monk/rogue splash for evasion, fighter for feats/BAB, etc).

Are they any good threads that spell out all these rules? I would be interested in learning more if it is consolidated in one place.

Thanks

Not something I know of, but a few pointers.
    - Make up a specific role for your potential build.
    - Decide main class.
    - Given you have the option to multi-class, check what you gain vs. what you lose (IE. Capstone Enh.)
    - Additional options (tomes, unbound gear that you've found before) might help you decide what to build.
    - Don't forget, the only things you can't change later are ability stats, alignment, cosmetics.
    - Don't invest too much into something you might regret. Better have 10 re-rolls and be sure.
    Just something off the top of my head.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio - 05.16.2010 Rock After Death \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth_of_Sarlona View Post
    People don't come onto the forums and moan and complain when their characters are overpowered due to a bug.

Also, small tip: Do not multi-class if your main class is a caster type: i.e. wizard, sorcerer, cleric, favored soul unless you are talking about splashing 2 levels of rogue or monk for evasion.

e.g. Loosing the wizard captone is big: loose some spell slots, spell points, and DCs.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

I have seen two schools of thought here.

Building for current content.

Building based on concept.

I prefer concept building, because I can adapt anything I build to the current content and adhere to the same concept.

Building for content means you have to change your toon alot when new content comes out that you want to play in, or be regarded as "sub optimal" by others who build for specific content.

Example: Stunning seems to be the way to go nowdays for epic content, but when I tossed my stunner build onto the forums two years ago, the min maxers were quick to show me how much dps I was losing for not picking up khopesh.

There will be a new flavor of the month soon as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Multiclassing is all about big benefits you can gain at a certain level. Usual suspects are the PrE's at 6, 12 and 18. And the capstone at level 20, but that means no multiclassing.

Some other important gains at level are :
    Barbarian: level 1; fast movement + rage. level 11; greater rage. level 17; tireless rage.
    Bard: level 1: full umd skill progression.
    Cleric: level 11 heal. level 17 mass heal.
    Favered soul: level 12 heal. level 18 mass heal.
    Fighter: free fighter feats at level 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20.
    Monk: level 1; wisdom bonus to ac + free monk feat. level 2; free monk feat + evasion. level 3; free monk feat. level 6; free monk feat. level 9; improved evasion.
    Paladin: level 2 divine grace.
    Ranger: level 2 twf. level 4 ram's might. level 6; tempest + itwf + manyshot. level 9 evasion. level 11 gtwf + impr precise shot.
    Rogue: level 1 umd + sneak attack (training). level 2 evasion. Optional feats at 10, 13, 16, 19 (crippling strike and impr evasion ao)
    Sorceror: level 12; reconstruct (for the wf battlesorc)
    Wizard: free wizard feat at 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20. level 11 reconstruct (for the wf battlewiz)

Ghallanda: Kruppe f13 - Pryas c16/f1 - Gimso f16/p4/e1 - Zarnax ra16/ro1 - Jeraldim a6 - Angerer s18/p2/e1
    Thelanis: Zarna ra18/ro1/f1/e8 - Jeraldim w16/ro2/f2/e1 - Roboco second life

There's some handy reference in this thread...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=217370

It's not complete but it's a good starting point.

People build with various mindsets, best for you to decide what your approach is then try to work towards that. Some people are looking for a character who is the absolute best at doing one thing. Some want a char that can do everything... some are even diluded into thinking they can be the best at everything in one character, don't be that person.

Some want to build primarily characters that will be good at soloing quests. Some build characters based on an idea, a concept or a theme. Some just look for things that are different and new... to really break the mold.

Decide what is fun for you and build towards that. Try out various feats and skills, don't limit yourself by feat lists that others have posted. Don't multiclass just for the sake of multiclassing, knowing what you want to achieve by adding each class and each level is what will make your builds work.

Build for fun and you'll never be disappointed.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams -