Community Member

Default Second Character excitement - dead in the water

Is there any ways to salvage this guy? He was my second character made. I was excited that I had unlocked drow and rolled him up right away. Quickly found out it's **** hard to do damage to undead with 10 base strength and no twink items. I haven't played him since the disastrous trip into Delera's many months ago.

The only reason I don't delete and start new is I purchased a collectibles bag for him and it has been cheaper to buy a new slot rather than delete.

Now, I have several higher characters so I could attempt to twink him out, but I feel he's fundamentally flawed now that I know more about the game. Assassin rogue without high int and a positive wis? Bah!

8 Rogue - Assassin; TWF

STR: 12 (+2 item)
    DEX: 23 (+1 item)
    CON: 12
    INT: 16 (+2 item)
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 10

Feats (unable to log in but here what I can gleam from MyDDO): Weapon finesse and Combat Expertise (***?)
    Last edited by TheKeg; 04-16-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Forgot a few things
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
    5 min? I don't know about you but if I leave for my lady I'm out for the night. The bedroom is the one place I NEVER zerg.

It doesn't look bad to me. It looks like a finess trapmonkey. I have one and he is just fine to play. It may be the quests you are trying to play as rogues do not get to add sneak damage on undead. You can try to avoid those quests. Delera's probably would not be a lot of fun for you. Mine is rogue1/ ranger7 with undead favored enemy and it is still no fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeg View Post
    Is there any ways to salvage this guy? He was my second character made. I was excited that I had unlocked drow and rolled him up right away. Quickly found out it's **** hard to do damage to undead with 10 base strength and no twink items. I haven't played him since the disastrous trip into Delera's many months ago.

The only reason I don't delete and start new is I purchased a collectibles bag for him and it has been cheaper to buy a new slot rather than delete.

Now, I have several higher characters so I could attempt to twink him out, but I feel he's fundamentally flawed now that I know more about the game. Assassin rogue without high int and a positive wis? Bah!

8 Rogue - Assassin; TWF

STR: 12 (+2 item)
    DEX: 23 (+1 item)
    CON: 12
    INT: 16 (+2 item)
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 10

Feats (unable to log in but here what I can gleam from MyDDO): Weapon finesse and Combat Expertise (***?)
    Hey!

Well he is lvl 8 and it doesn't take that much to remake him. Well I personally would most likely reroll him. I would not take the wisdom score that you have there (I assume it was to get better will saves?) I would also lower the dex score since taking it to 20 cost you more then I think is worth it.

I myself would have redistributed the starting stats (28 point build) the following instead:

Str 14
    Dex 18
    Con 12
    Int 16
    Wis 8
    Cha 10

These are the base starting stats without tomes and items.

Hope it helps a bit..

I want to point out that your character is not totally borked by any means... it's certainly playable. But I myself have a tendency to fix the flaws pretty fast cause I hate to know that I could done something in a better way *grins*

/Khierra
    Last edited by elyssaria; 04-16-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Cannith - Characters: Khierra - Former The Dominator (U7) (TR 12Mnk/7rog/1ftr) now becoming 13 Rogue/6 Monk/ 1 Druid Staff Orc # Tisseltass - The Prodigy (10rgr/2rog/1mnk) # Smallpoxx (14 pure shintao monk, healing amp) # Azatooth (12ftr/5rog/1mnk) # Eleona (15fvs/2mnk) # Heliga Birgitta (7cleric/3monk, Healing Amp)

Not as bad as it could be, just be careful when picking fights if you have aggro & watch out for SA-immune stuff.

without rerolling or going for a lesser reincarnation, if you have access (and are lawful) you could add a monk level or 2 & put all the remaining level-up points in STR for combat capability. An alternative you could consider is putting a couple of fighter levels in (again, all level-ups in STR). You'll still be pretty badly gimped, but not totally without help & assuming you get toughness the fighter enhancement will at least start to make up for the low CON.

overall, if you're more concerned about combat capability & dps rather than trapmonkeying may still be best to transfer out everything you can (shared bank is great for BtoA gear), sell the rest & reroll, cut your losses while you can. (though if you're very close to another favour benchmark, get that for some more TP 1st)
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 04-16-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Another thing to point out...

It's hard to know what you are aiming for...

Is it a DPS rogue?
    Is it a AC rogue?
    Is it a trapmonkey rogue?
    Maybe something in between?

The setup I suggested are more balanced setup.

/Khierra
    Cannith - Characters: Khierra - Former The Dominator (U7) (TR 12Mnk/7rog/1ftr) now becoming 13 Rogue/6 Monk/ 1 Druid Staff Orc # Tisseltass - The Prodigy (10rgr/2rog/1mnk) # Smallpoxx (14 pure shintao monk, healing amp) # Azatooth (12ftr/5rog/1mnk) # Eleona (15fvs/2mnk) # Heliga Birgitta (7cleric/3monk, Healing Amp)

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

That's not horrible. As a finesse rogue you will have trouble with constructs and undead, and those rare things with 100% fort, but otherwise you will be fine.

Don't solo quests with crit/sneak immune enemies and you will be find

I just TR'd my 19rogue/1ftr finesse build. She wasn't that dissimilar from the build below, and she was a lot of fun to play. I TR'd her to fix a few stats I wouldn't do the same, but she was fine.

When you hit L12 to assassin (DO NOT think of them as a trapmonkey, that's a dead end path). You will need to concentrate on bringing that hp up as your con is too low. Tomes, items, false life items, the toughness feat, a shroud hp item, etc. You can work on that as you build your character. Keep putting the level ups into DEX. Take the power attack feat. Take 1 level of fighter to add a feat, give you more weapon options, and a few HP. (L20 rogue gives you nothing of value anyway).

Default Eat a tome for STR

to get Power Attack....requires 13 STR.

Other than that, looks decent, as has been stated earlier, Deleras at level on a rogue is pretty tough, might try to find some light holy bashers (I use twin +1 Holy light maces of pure good for that quest on my rogue) but other than that, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Some people don't like to play hard. That's why we have 'normal'.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The easiest - if most expensive - way of salvaging him would be to lesser reincarnate and redo all your stats & feats. If that's not an option you could:
    - eat a +2 STR tome and put your next lvl-up point into STR so you can take Power Attack. Too bad you're lvl 8 instead of 7, then you could've put your lvl 8 point into it.
    - if you're lawful, take a monk splash for the AC boost. Might as well get something for your high WIS!
    - search the AH for undead-beaters you can afford.

Community Member

Thank you everyone for all the replies. To answer a few of the questions posed here:

He's just a little character that I plan on running when my buddies aren't on and we're playing out higher level mains. I have nothing specific for him in mind. I know that most traps can be handled with little effort and the right gear (my bard with 2 rogue splash has proved that). So I guess he'll be going more for DPS. I'm still not sure what I had in mind when I first created him and chose CE along the way. *scratches head* Ah well, I still have my free feat respec token so I'll probably get rid of that one.

Yes, the high WIS was put there to help with his will save. My first character being a barbarian with dumped WIS, I was sick of getting held and hoped that would help.

As far as avoiding undead, that can be rather hard to do at lower levels. Some of the best quests (fun factor, XP, and rewards) contain crazy amounts of undead.

I think I will be giving him a go again sometime in the future. I will update his information when I get a chance and hopefully develop new, positive view on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
    5 min? I don't know about you but if I leave for my lady I'm out for the night. The bedroom is the one place I NEVER zerg.