Default WF Wizard/Rogue/Fighter

I would post something from the Character Planner, but I won't right now because of the questions I have.

I want to make a character that can do decent at traps ( I was thinking 2 maybe 3 levels of Rogue.) I want to be able to self heal and self buff (Wizard.) I also want to be a mainly melee character (Fighter.)

I know I want to take 2-3 levels of Rogue, but I am unsure if I want to take more Fighter or more Wizard levels.

I also don't know what skills or feats or enhancements I should take.

This will be my first multiclass character, and my first WF character.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

you might be looking for this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=194996

may want to check this too
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=182069

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustWinBaby View Post
    I would post something from the Character Planner, but I won't right now because of the questions I have.

I want to make a character that can do decent at traps ( I was thinking 2 maybe 3 levels of Rogue.) I want to be able to self heal and self buff (Wizard.) I also want to be a mainly melee character (Fighter.)

I know I want to take 2-3 levels of Rogue, but I am unsure if I want to take more Fighter or more Wizard levels.

I also don't know what skills or feats or enhancements I should take.

This will be my first multiclass character, and my first WF character.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    I think Ranger is better than Fighter for what you want.

Ranger offers:
    -- More skill points to keep rogue skills fresh without wasting points on INT
    -- Free ranged feats and Tempest benefits (A number of "free" feats helping melee the cost of 3 feats)
    -- Fighter haste boost somewhat redundant with rogue boost
    -- +6 F.E. damage and Ram's Might for +3 to Damage

However, Fighter offers an advantage with:
    -- More HPs (10 hps/lvl + toughness enh.)
    -- +2 STR from enh.
    -- More feats if the build needs it
    -- Weapon Focus and Kensai bonus to hit, good on a low BAB MC

Both are valid. Kensai is more tanky, Tempest is better DPS and has more synergy with the rogue skills.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Off the top of my head, what about, say, rogue 3 / wizard 5 / ranger 12? Wizard 5 gets you lvl 3 spells (Haste, Displacement, Repair Serious) and two metamagic feats; rogue 3 gets you trap skills and 2D6 sneak attacks; ranger 12 gets you GTWF, beaucoup skill points, and Tempest II. If Tempest II doesn't interest you, go ranger 11 and take an extra level of rogue or wizard instead.

Should I do Rogue 3/Wizard 7/Ranger 10? The reason for 7 levels of Wizard is for Firewall and Repair Critical.

Would those 2 spells be enough reason to get 2 more Wizard levels, or would I be better off getting the other 2 Ranger levels?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Off the top of my head, what about, say, rogue 3 / wizard 5 / ranger 12? Wizard 5 gets you lvl 3 spells (Haste, Displacement, Repair Serious) and two metamagic feats; rogue 3 gets you trap skills and 2D6 sneak attacks; ranger 12 gets you GTWF, beaucoup skill points, and Tempest II. If Tempest II doesn't interest you, go ranger 11 and take an extra level of rogue or wizard instead.

Community Member

Should I do Rogue 3/Wizard 7/Ranger 10? The reason for 7 levels of Wizard is for Firewall and Repair Critical.

Would those 2 spells be enough reason to get 2 more Wizard levels, or would I be better off getting the other 2 Ranger levels?
    I've never made a build like this, so take this with a grain of salt...

But since 9 Ranger gets you Evasion, I see no reason to take the second level of rogue. You may as well get Tempest II, since the extra to-hit can counterbalance the lost BAB from the Wizard levels. With the third level spell you can also take Wild Instincts for an extra +10 to Spot.

Ranger 12/Wiz7/Rog1. Use the character planner to find out if you need a 12 or 14 INT to keep Search, Spot, Disable, UMD Maxxed; the less INT and more CON & STR, the better.

Oh, and I would advise against just taking 5 Wizard. Most builds you see like those above and this one too take more caster levels for one simple reason: the lower the level, the crappier the buffs and the less SP to self-heal. And for crappy buffs and heals, simply having UMD on a pure rogue is enough.

But I've seen 7/13 and 7/12/1 Wiz/Rang/x builds, and people seem to enjoy them.
    Last edited by gavagai; 03-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.

a Much better, but i feel more advanced to play is the WF 17Wiz/2Rog/1Ftr. This build is good and proven to work.

Now as far as mixing Fighter and Wizard.. Don't. On a WF you are much more inclined to take either 18Ftr/2Rog and work in as much UMD as you can for wand healing, and possible scroll usage with ALOT of work.

Or, 17Ftr/2Rog/1Wiz...........Or 18Pal/2Rog which will have a much better Cha and thus more easily,(though still hard) get your UMD up to a level where Reconstruct scrolls are a possibility.

If you really want to, roll up whatever you want. Just letting you know that low power firewalls and repair criticals are sort of..."meh" in higher levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerjoe View Post
    if u put 1000 smurves in front of 1000 computers, eventually one of them will make a pally that isnt a complete abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonofsteel2 View Post
    Why should I care about what none friends think? It really not like anythink they do are say in this game really affects me.

Default honestly

i would go 2 rogue 18 wiz. wawrforged if you can if not take plenty of umd. just make sure you take plenty of strength at first lvl so you can fight. also take str at level ups. make sure your first lev is rogue to max out the skills you want. i wouldn't build this type of character for spell dc's so you can skimp on the int score. oh and the spell masters touch will give you proficiencies with all martial weapons.

just my opinion
    good luck

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by toughguyjoe View Post
    a Much better, but i feel more advanced to play is the WF 17Wiz/2Rog/1Ftr. This build is good and proven to work.

Now as far as mixing Fighter and Wizard.. Don't. On a WF you are much more inclined to take either 18Ftr/2Rog and work in as much UMD as you can for wand healing, and possible scroll usage with ALOT of work.

Or, 17Ftr/2Rog/1Wiz...........Or 18Pal/2Rog which will have a much better Cha and thus more easily,(though still hard) get your UMD up to a level where Reconstruct scrolls are a possibility.

If you really want to, roll up whatever you want. Just letting you know that low power firewalls and repair criticals are sort of..."meh" in higher levels.
    12 Wizard/6Fighter/2Monk has been "Proven to work" as well....
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=217342

Can easily skim some feats and go Rogue instead of Monk. You're not going to be a top notch trapsmith though.. would need more INT....

A Battle Mage has WAY more to do with the player behind the keyboard than it does the build itself. Good, Smart, Knowledgeable players can easily perform well in the roll. New players generally have a much harder time.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Alright here's what I'm thinking now...

12 Ranger/2 Rogue/6 Wizard

12 Ranger for Tempest II
    2 Rogue for Evasion
    6 Wizard for the third level 3 spell (Displacement, Haste, Repair Serious.)

I'm not going level 3 Rogue - I know about the extra BAB and the extra Sneak Attack, but I would rather be able to get all 3 of the level 3 Wizard spells I want.

Any thoughts on the above?

Also, my feats, through level 6 (yea I know I'm slow) are: Improved Damage Reduction (WF Feat), Extend Spell (for my self buffs, which is what I'm going to be doing with my spell points mostly, besides healing), FE Undead, Toughness, and Weapon Focus: Slashing.

Any thoughts on my feats up til now, and in levels 7-20? Thanks.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Alright here's what I'm thinking now...

12 Ranger/2 Rogue/6 Wizard

12 Ranger for Tempest II
    2 Rogue for Evasion
    6 Wizard for the third level 3 spell (Displacement, Haste, Repair Serious.)

I'm not going level 3 Rogue - I know about the extra BAB and the extra Sneak Attack, but I would rather be able to get all 3 of the level 3 Wizard spells I want.

Any thoughts on the above?

Also, my feats, through level 6 (yea I know I'm slow) are: Improved Damage Reduction (WF Feat), Extend Spell (for my self buffs, which is what I'm going to be doing with my spell points mostly, besides healing), FE Undead, Toughness, and Weapon Focus: Slashing.

Any thoughts on my feats up til now, and in levels 7-20? Thanks.
    You wont be able to go Tempest unless you take the Tempest prereq feats. DOdge, Mobility, and Spring attack. Depending on your progression, you need to add those sooner than later.

12 Ranger already gets Evasion..... Rangers get it at Level 9. Going 12 Ranger/8 Wizard would provide a few more spells with no real loss.. Unless you are going for trap skills and forgot to mention that.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Ranger 9 gets evasion, no need for rogue 2.

here's a very strong thf build I designed, the damage is less than the 6 ranger, but you get some interesting offensive casting and crowd control options (ottos irrisistable dance, and polar ray being the big ones)

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=161266
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

The reason for 2 Rogue is for more skill points to use, so I can do something with traps, and the +1 Dex enhancement, and yes Evasion much sooner than at level 9 of Ranger.

I am no longer interested in Tempest since I would much rather have all my current feats instead of getting 5 feats simply for Tempest.

Im now thinking 11 Ranger / 7 Wizard / 2 Rogue

Now I will have Firewall and another 4th level spell.

I know I take Rogue at 1st level, for more skillpoints. I would take Wizard at level 2 so I can begin self healing asap.

After that I am unsure about which levels to take what classes. I would say Ranger and then Rogue next, for some DPS, and then a ton of Wizard. I don't know, which is why I need help Thanks to everyone thus far by the way.

EDIT: FYI to all, I will be in a party so this is not for a solo build. Also, I want this character to be able to do most traps, buff self and party, self heal (Repair), and beat stuff up.
    Last edited by JustWinBaby; 03-10-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Should I do Rogue 3/Wizard 7/Ranger 10?
    Ranger 10 is a bad cutoff because you basically get nothing for stopping one level shy of your next set of combat feats. Most multiclassed rangers stop at 2, 6, or 11 (i.e., when you get your free bow & TWF feats) or 18 (Tempest III); some stop at 9 (Evasion) or 12 (Tempest II).

One advantage to going ranger 11+ to get your TWF feats is it gets you out of the DEX pre-req, so you can make DEX a dump stat if you want. As a warrior / arcane caster, you'll probably be relying on buffs like Blur, Displacement, and Stoneskin to avoid taking damage, rather than raw AC. If you go that route you should pick up Insightful Reflexes.

1st level Rogue.
    2nd-7th level Bard (take the relevant feats to be a warchatern)
    8th level Rogue.
    Rest of levels as a Bard (or add in 1 or 2 fighter levels for more feats/bab/better weapons).

Go with charisma 10-12 or so, and take buffing spells instead of CC spells.

One more thing to let people know...my base starting stats:

17 Str
    14 Dex
    15 Con
    12 Int
    6 Wis
    6 Cha

I intend on getting the WF Con enhancements and the Ranger/Rogue Dex and the Wizard Int. My ability points every 4 levels will be put into Str.

I don't care about Wisdom or Cha, I won't be using UMD (no need imo) and I will be fine without having an uber amount in Spot.

Any suggestions for me? I don't plan on getting any of the Prestige Enhancements. I plan on putting most of my skill points into Search, DD, OL, and Concentration. At level 1 I will also throw points into Balance and Tumble and other stuff. Is concentration necessary, since I won't be casting spells a whole bunch in battles, but rather before hand? Also, if I don't use all my skill points at level 1, when I level up, would I be able to use them later (like when I choose the Wizard levels?) Thanks again.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

One more thing to let people know...my base starting stats:

17 Str
    14 Dex
    15 Con
    12 Int
    6 Wis
    6 Cha

I intend on getting the WF Con enhancements and the Ranger/Rogue Dex and the Wizard Int. My ability points every 4 levels will be put into Str.

I don't care about Wisdom or Cha, I won't be using UMD (no need imo) and I will be fine without having an uber amount in Spot.

Any suggestions for me? I don't plan on getting any of the Prestige Enhancements. I plan on putting most of my skill points into Search, DD, OL, and Concentration. At level 1 I will also throw points into Balance and Tumble and other stuff. Is concentration necessary, since I won't be casting spells a whole bunch in battles, but rather before hand? Also, if I don't use all my skill points at level 1, when I level up, would I be able to use them later (like when I choose the Wizard levels?) Thanks again.
    You started the character before finalizing your leveling plan?

You must use all skill points. No carry overs.

L7 Wall of fire in end game quests is pretty close to useless. MO, L12 wiz is the minimum for a useable Firewall. THis gets you your highest Crit Percentage and all damage enhcanements. 1 would give you an addition +.25 to your multiplier, but I find that isnt as important as the percentage chance.
    Thelanis

Sev~

No I haven't started this character yet, I still have yet to buy WF lol. But I do have a character in the planner up to level 6, and those were my starting stats.

I don't intend on using Firewall much except for undead probably. I am going to be mainly melee. I imagine launching a firewall or 2 and then wacking stuff on the head with really big, metal, sticks.