Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Narmolanya View Post
    Well if you are talking about your character in your signature it is most likely because you are a ftr4 wiz2 elf with con of 10.
    Possibly, but why would anyone use myddo to sceen characters at level 6? Unless they are actively trying to make the quest harder it's not like the quests are so challenging they can't be done without deadweight.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Lvl 6 and under quests don't need healers, in fact most quest from 6- 12 don't need them.

But also if you are really stuck on that, most Bards heal, and if a group has WF and casters in it, the healing is covered--so you just have to heal yourself. Like someone said it looks like the Cleric/FVS button is missing from your creation screen.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by Jemaniya View Post
    Not buying the "we don't need a healer" attitude, no matter how many sellers are out there.

Out of curiosity, why won't you buy that attitude?

Cure light wounds wands are cheap, with clerics/fvs/paladins/rangers/bards/any character with a decent umd being able to use them, there are also slightly less cheaper potions, have armor class that is worth something is easy until you hit gianthold which will mitigate a lot of damage. Armor of invulnerability gives dr 5/magic which most low level creatures cannot bypass and you can easily find dr 3/damage type bracers on korthos. Farming a couple aid clickies from cannith crystal will give you 11 x the number of clickies hp extra over the duration of a quest plus having the benefit of bless for 3 minutes. Combine those with the fact that if you absolutely need to you can run quests on casual you should have no problems for quite a long time without a healer.

When it comes down to it, for me it's not quite that I don't like healers, it's that I trust myself to be able to save my own skin more then they ever could.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

If you're F2P only, prepare to have a hard time getting past lvl 10-12 or so. Free quests get really thin past that point, so you'll need to either grind a lot of favor for Demon Sands/Gianthold/Vale of Twilight, or burn $20 or so for the TP needed to buy at least the latter two of those packs.

Also, while I agree with you that having a cleric in every party you join is certainly nice, I also agree that (at least at lower levels) a competent party should be able to get by with just pots or a wand or two. It's not until later (read Gianthold) that you should start feeling the absolute need for a healer.

By the way, if you really want a healer in every party you join, either make a cleric or use some of the TP you get from favor to buy Warforged and make a WF Sorc or Wizard. At least that way you always have heals for yourself.

Good strategy on grooming healers to be your friends

As they said part of your issue is you are kind of picky (may be your issue with guilds as well ). But all in all its your time, play how you like.

Rogues can be a tough niche. They vary a lot in quality and not everyone understands what they can or can't do. sometimes groups seek them out, but ususally they just do without if they don't get one.

As to needing healers... it really depends: on the difficulty of the quest, the talent of the players, familiarity with the quest, the self sufficiency of the party, the damage vs defense match up etc...

Being a long timer, knowing the quests, liking to make very self sufficient characters, I tend not to need a healer at low and mid levels. I have very few characters that can't at least use wands to heal between fights, and those that don't either have hard core offense or defense.

But in groups of new players, a healer will help them make up for their weaknesses whatever they may be and I can see being leery of joining a group that doesn't have one, especially playing a generic low to mid level pure rogue. ("generic" rogues tend to be pretty easy to hit, have low HP, and have trouble with DPS when not getting sneak attack.)

I certainly have been in groups, looked at the quest, looked at the group and thought... not going to work. I'd say 70% I'm spot on. But then again other times when all looks good we get in quest and I'm astounded by the lack of skill or a character that seems to play well but just can't perform. Its always hard to be sure till you see them all in action.
    Former Host of DDOcast
    Member of The Madborn of Thelanis
    Streaming sometimes on twitch as SigTrent

Hi my name is "insert newb's name".

I can't go up in levels because I keep running different alts, re-rolling, and insist on having a healer in every party I join (sure this might work better if I just rolled a healer). I am also F2P and refuse to spend any money on the game so I am very limited in what quests I can join.

Why can't I level up?
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    Possibly, but why would anyone use myddo to sceen characters at level 6? Unless they are actively trying to make the quest harder it's not like the quests are so challenging they can't be done without deadweight.
    Exactly, it can be done easily solo so why bring along a possible gimp and risk the loss of the 10% bonus for no deaths.
    My real forum Join date is July 2007. Maybe one day someone will develop the awsome technology to fix this currently unfixable bug.

I had/have the same problem with my barb. Absolutely needs some form of heals being a frenzied berserker with no AC to speak of, no way to self heal other than buying potions (which are impossible to maintain soloing given the poor amount of gold you receive from questing alone), and being a warforged, you get even less love from those heals. This was surprising to me, because I often read that barbarians are great first characters.

My solution was to say screw groups, and rolled a Sorc and a Cleric. Never been better, and turning down invites to parties as a cleric never gets old. Lots of great resources for soloing as a Sorc and Cleric, I say save yourself the headaches of grouping and just make some solo builds. You'll save yourself so much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post

I can't go up in levels because I keep running different alts, re-rolling, and insist on having a healer in every party I join (sure this might work better if I just rolled a healer). I am also F2P and refuse to spend any money on the game so I am very limited in what quests I can join.

Why can't I level up?
    This sums up three treads I have read this week exactly, and we have to continually hear the VIPs and Vets are bitter.

Community Member

Are you dropping groups that try to start without a healer?

Or are you not joining a group at all unless it already has a healer?

The later has great synergy with the standard pug-building strategy of accepting the first 4 people to join then waiting for a healer.

I will not join a party without a healer. Oh, I've joined hundreds of them that had no healer and everyone thought the pally could cover it. I hate dieing, or worse and more often, being the only one left alive to get everyone's soul to the shrine.
    Make a Cleric, then you will never have to join a party without a "healer" ever again.

Or carry a few hireling healers of about your level and learn to play well with them in some missions with just them and you, and then use them in groups a bit. I like to remind folks that it is a hireling, and I may be able to top them off a bit after fights, but during fights they are on thier own, when I pull out a hireling.

Conversely you can move to one of the newer servers Orien or Cannith. They both tend to have a large variety of low level grouping going on most of the time. On Cannith we have a decent amount of high level content going on now as well.

The newer servers, in my experience, are less likey to expect a Paladin/Ranger/Bard/Rogue to be a veteran with enough plat sunk into consumables to heal a party through stupid play. Though we tend to be harder on a Clerics/Favored Souls pocketbook then other servers.

Farming favor points on other servers for a few specific adventure packs is a good idea. The higher level packs will last you longer then lower level packs will. Once you can get up to those levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysto View Post
    I had/have the same problem with my barb. Absolutely needs some form of heals being a frenzied berserker with no AC to speak of, no way to self heal other than buying potions (which are impossible to maintain soloing given the poor amount of gold you receive from questing alone), and being a warforged, you get even less love from those heals. This was surprising to me, because I often read that barbarians are great first characters
    Barbarians are great first characters, we are practically made for it. Warforged ones not as much. Warforged are a more advanced choice with specific advantages and detriments. I may be a mana-sponge, but smart play can reduce that by a great deal.
    Last edited by Lleren; 03-05-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post

Why can't I level up?
    bah, stop beeing reasonable

we want DRAMA
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

I will not join a party without a healer. Oh, I've joined hundreds of them that had no healer and everyone thought the pally could cover it. I hate dieing, or worse and more often, being the only one left alive to get everyone's soul to the shrine.
    A little friendly advice. The higher you level - the greater this attitude is going to cost you. Most veteran clerics will not wish to group with you, especially since a paladin can handle a lot of their own healing through these regular quests even better than a lot of other classes. When playing my cleric, I notice whether or not a paladin is willing to keep themselves topped up. If they don't care enough to maintain their own characters, I certainly won't care about keeping them alive.

No offense - but your not refusing to play without a cleric. Your refusing to play without a babysitter - and you shouldn't need one.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by blitzschlag View Post
    bah, stop beeing reasonable

we want DRAMA
    that is drama right there

And person who won't pay to play and who also won't pay to stay alive and will expect someone else to pay for them.....

I'm very sorry but anyone who refuses to play unless they riding some poor healers coattails probably shoudln't go past lvl 6.

I'm willing to help anyone but someone who blantantly says they won't wuest without a specific class is not going to do so well on the higher stuff. It's basically a good representation of how well they are prepared to look after themselves and have the potential to become a mana sponge.
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    It sounds like the "cleric" button is missing from your character generation screen. You should file a help ticket.
    Signature-worthy.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

But I'm always going in with a healer to take care of the "boo boo's", ROFL.
    If this is your first character on a server, then you won't have a lot of cash.

It's VERY important to spend some of that cash on a few wands of Cure Light Wounds (and Cure Moderate/Cure Serious Wounds later in life). It doesn't turn you into a cleric, but it does let you bring the party back up to a reasonable level after a fight. During the fight, you'll be too busy to do that for anyone, but having wands for between-fight healing is why parties say that a Paladin can handle the healing - it's not the Lay on Hands ability.

Also, you can solo many quests even on your first character if you bring a Cleric hireling.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that I'd VASTLY prefer to be in a party with a Cleric or FvS to being in one without. It makes quests much easier and cheaper. That said, Clerics aren't necessary for many quests - especially once you get the hang of quests at that level. You can also ask for party members to help chip in for the cost of the wands if you're especially poor. Just don't whine and don't demand payment - respectful requests will get you more cash than petulant tantrums.

One last thought: Are you saying that you can't find groups because there are no groups in the LFM that already have a Cleric in them? Because there are LOTS of LFMs that don't have a cleric in them... YET. Lots of groups will take down the LFM and start the quest once they get a Cleric. Send a /tell to ask how they're going to handle healing in the group if they don't have a healer yet. If the answer is reasonable, then ask to join the group.
    Last edited by PopeJual; 03-05-2010 at 06:53 AM.

The highest character I had was a lvl 8 paladin. No matter what character I play, I cannot find party groups after I turn level six. I do not want to be forced to go rogue just to make it to lvl 20. Is it my server, Thenalis?
    Make your own groups, and send tells using the social panel.

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    Edit: Just thought I'd mention that I'd VASTLY prefer to be in a party with a Cleric or FvS to being in one without. It makes quests much easier and cheaper. That said, Clerics aren't necessary for ANY quests - especially once you get the hang of quests at that level. You can also ask for party members to help chip in for the cost of the wands if you're especially poor. Just don't whine and don't demand payment - respectful requests will get you more cash than petulant tantrums.
    Just to show, over the past few days have run Gianthold Tor Flagging (killing all the dragons) - 4 melees and a Bard. Ran Fleshmakers, Temple of Vol and Ghost of Perdition in another group of 5 again without a cleric or bard, I had my Paladin on that one.

For well played groups, a cleric is just another option slot on the team. No more or less important to sucess or failure of the mission. When running a guild group, the answer almost every single time to the question of what do you need, is just - "Bring who you want - its good". And it is...

With intelligent play, a dedicated healer is all but unneeded. With careless and reckless play, sure it often seems to be the only thing between struggling to get thru the quest and a complete party wipe. That however is not due to having a Cleric/healer in the party, but due to having BAD players in the party.
    Sarlona - The Ko Brotherhood :Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8+4E; Hennako-Human Cleric22; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15; lots more

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    Lvl 6 and under quests don't need healers, in fact most quest from 6- 12 don't need them.
    Not to single you out because this is definitely a theme in this thread. I play a healer on Thelanis and I don't recall these levels where I wasn't healing regularly. Is it possible? Yes. Can others be more self sufficient? Yes. I've healed plenty of people at all levels in this game. I'm really not sure where this all of a sudden "you don't need heals" is coming from and now only "End Game". This "You don't need a healer" gives me the impression that this is a seasoned players perspective, but many people aren't seasoned and are still figuring the game out and need the heals.

To me the OP should roll a Cleric, then there wouldn't be a group he'd refuse. One of the reasons I'm glad I did.

Instead I make low lvl characters and help healers get through the 1st stages of the game.
    Don't worry about it. A well made cleric, or favored soul can do fine in the early, mid, and late stages of the game. Grouping is entirely optional.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast