Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by CrunK. View Post
    I was looking for a 28 point Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance build. Is the default one good enough? I looked this thread over pretty good since the last update and didn't see any builds posted for it.
    I just took a quick look at the default Human path and it doesn't look too bad, except for the fact it's picking Enlarge instead of Quicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Irinis View Post
    The Axesinger bard build is the classic build for a true jack of all trades. It doesn't balance CHA however.
    Is that the build with a Dwarf bard? I don't think I recall seeing it recently, link?

I've been following your necromancer guide pretty closely, but have been going with the following feats on my 8 level wizzie:

Mental Toughness
    Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Improved Mental Toughness
    Augment Summoning
    Toughness

So I've basically switched out Extend, Maximize and Empower for Mental Toughness, Improved Mental toughness and Augment Summoning. Augment Summoning is here to stay as I play a lot with henchmen who can really use that +4 bonus, and I love my pets as well, but I'm not so sure about keeping the Mental toughness feats (45+45 spell points).
    I don't really plan on playing on epic, so I wouldn't have any use of the feat I gain at level 20 or feats that you "need" for epic quests, but I'm not so sure if having these Mental toughness feats right now is better than some metamagic feats.

I still have my free feat exchange and I have enough for yet another one afterwards, so if I should change any feats I should do it now - just wondering whether its worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Is that the build with a Dwarf bard? I don't think I recall seeing it recently, link?
    Google is your friend.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    I've been following your necromancer guide pretty closely, but have been going with the following feats on my 8 level wizzie:

Mental Toughness
    Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Improved Mental Toughness
    Augment Summoning
    Toughness

So I've basically switched out Extend, Maximize and Empower for Mental Toughness, Improved Mental toughness and Augment Summoning. Augment Summoning is here to stay as I play a lot with henchmen who can really use that +4 bonus, and I love my pets as well, but I'm not so sure about keeping the Mental toughness feats (45+45 spell points).
    I don't really plan on playing on epic, so I wouldn't have any use of the feat I gain at level 20 or feats that you "need" for epic quests, but I'm not so sure if having these Mental toughness feats right now is better than some metamagic feats.

I still have my free feat exchange and I have enough for yet another one afterwards, so if I should change any feats I should do it now - just wondering whether its worth it or not.
    You should at least get Maximize and Extend.

Community Member Frostwhisperer's Avatar

Wouldn't it be handy for wizards to take teleport at lvl 9? So they can immediatly port to the portable hole and get acess to all the scroll vendors? Just a thought
    My mom told me to become a warforged sorcerer. But did I listen? Noooooooooooooo

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwhisperer View Post
    Wouldn't it be handy for wizards to take teleport at lvl 9? So they can immediatly port to the portable hole and get acess to all the scroll vendors? Just a thought
    You can grab L5 scrolls in house J.

Community Member

Default true reincarnation

im sorcerer and i decide to reincarnate so i could build more powerfull char .... any suggestion what options to choose i would still like to play as sorcerer, but now warforged coz its stronger they say. plz can some1 help me with info thx alot have fun

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by dtesanov View Post
    im sorcerer and i decide to reincarnate so i could build more powerfull char .... any suggestion what options to choose i would still like to play as sorcerer, but now warforged coz its stronger they say. plz can some1 help me with info thx alot have fun
    Make a Warforged sorcerer?

Community Member

Hey tih, i was interesting in making a ninja spy monk based off of your build you have on here but i noticed you didont take the ninjaspy prestige, i was wondering if the build was out dated or you just didont find it useful or something

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrex417 View Post
    Hey tih, i was interesting in making a ninja spy monk based off of your build you have on here but i noticed you didont take the ninjaspy prestige, i was wondering if the build was out dated or you just didont find it useful or something
    Because it's outdated. Been having some RL stuff preventing me from updating it as fast as I would have liked to, but it should get better soon.
    The Ninja Spy one should be easy enough to get though, just need to mess with enhancements IIRC.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Because it's outdated. Been having some RL stuff preventing me from updating it as fast as I would have liked to, but it should get better soon.
    The Ninja Spy one should be easy enough to get though, just need to mess with enhancements IIRC.
    no problem i completely understand that one =), thanks bud

Quote Originally Posted by jrex417 View Post
    no problem i completely understand that one =), thanks bud
    Personally, I've been using the Rockan Ronin dark monk build, and found it quite effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Obviously, nobody is allowed to move until the cleric is out of mana and the buff fest is finally over.

Community Member

I have a level 5 strength-based monk that isn't following any of the specified paths. I didn't even bother to glance at the paths, because I find them too constricting. I just wanted something that would deal the most amount of damage in the least amount of time possible. To that end, I will tell you how my build stands right now.

PERSONAL

Prunelope
    Drow Elf - Lawful Neutral - Female
    Fire Stance

STATS

Strength - 16 base + 2 enchanted bonus = 18 total
    Dexterity - 16 base + 1 feat bonus + 1 enchanted bonus = 18 total
    Constitution - 13 base = 13 total
    Intelligence - 10 base = 10 total
    Wisdom - 14 base + 1 feat bonus - 1 enchanted bonus = 14 total
    Charisma - 10 base = 10 total

SKILLS

Balance - 14, 8, +4, +2
    Bluff* - 0, 0, +0, +0
    Concentration - 10, 8, +1, +1
    Diplomacy - 5, 0, +0, +5
    Disable Device* - n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a
    Haggle* - 1, 0, +0, +1
    Heal* - 2, 0, +2, +0
    Hide - 4, 0, +4, +0
    Intimidate* - 0, 0, +0, +0
    Jump - 14, 8, +4, +2
    Listen - 4, 0, +2, +2
    Move Silently - 4, 0, +4, +0
    Open Lock* - n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a
    Perform* - n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a
    Repair* - 0, 0, +0, +0
    Search* - 2, 0, +0, +2
    Spot - 4, 0, +2, +2
    Swim - 12, 8, +4, +0
    Tumble - n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a
    Use Magic Device* - n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a

FEATS

AC Bonus
    Attack
    Brutal Throw
    Defensive Fighting
    Disciple of Breezes
    Disciple of Candles
    Disciple of Pebbles
    Disciple of Puddles
    Drow Spell Resistance
    Elven Keen Senses
    Enchantment Save Bonus
    Evasion
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency
    Fast Movement
    Finishing Moves
    Finishing Moves: Path of Harmonious Balance
    Finishing Moves: Path of Inevitable Dominion
    Flurry of Blows
    Heroic Durability
    Immunity to Sleep
    Ki Strike: Magic
    Martial Weapon Proficiency
    Meditation
    Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness
    Purity of Body
    Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Slow Fall
    Sneak
    Still Mind
    Sunder
    Toughness
    Trip
    Two Handed Fighting
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Unarmed Strike

SPELLS

[empty]

ENHANCEMENTS

Elven Dexterity I
    Way of the Clever Monkey I
    Monk Improved Recovery I
    Void Strike I
    Racial Toughness I
    Monk Balance I
    Monk Balance II
    Monk Concentration I
    Monk Jump I
    Monk Jump II
    Monk Wisdom I

EQUIPPED ITEMS

+3 Densewood Quarterstaff
    Goggles of Insight
    Lesser Lightning Guard Outfit of Lesser Lightning Resistance
    Black Widow Bracers
    Ring of Eloquence
    Winter Boots
    Nimble Grasp
    Engraved Ring
    Rugged Belt
    Cloak of Resistance
    Nimble Brooch
    Wise Helm

Community Member

Default Thanks

Hey,
    Awsome guide man it was a huge help to a newcomer like me. Hoping you get to the virtuoso bard setup soon tho as i have it played to lvl 4 or so with a couple dif races/ builds and really haven't picked which one to go with. Your guide has really helped a new player like me so keep up the good work.

Community Member

I just got the Free to Play game last night and rolled up a Warchanter to lvl 3 Brd1/Brb1/Brd1 was the order I progressed in.

One thing that as a new player I found really good to take was the barbarian DR 6/- for 20 seconds buff. I can use that and the Human +2 to hit for 20 seconds buff and I tear stuff up and am basically immune to damage from normal mobs. I had some trouble with some of the pulls with multiple archer cultists and they sit and plink the hell out of you but the DR 6/- takes care of them handily.

I guess I should also learn how to use fascinate as maybe that would help that problem?

I'm sure the DR becomes obselete at higher levels but at lvl 2 it was amazing and I am sure I can retrain it at some point (and if I can't it's only 1 AP)

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by KaptainO View Post
    I just got the Free to Play game last night and rolled up a Warchanter to lvl 3 Brd1/Brb1/Brd1 was the order I progressed in.

One thing that as a new player I found really good to take was the barbarian DR 6/- for 20 seconds buff. I can use that and the Human +2 to hit for 20 seconds buff and I tear stuff up and am basically immune to damage from normal mobs. I had some trouble with some of the pulls with multiple archer cultists and they sit and plink the hell out of you but the DR 6/- takes care of them handily.

I guess I should also learn how to use fascinate as maybe that would help that problem?

I'm sure the DR becomes obselete at higher levels but at lvl 2 it was amazing and I am sure I can retrain it at some point (and if I can't it's only 1 AP)
    That's a good point, thanks! I'll add it at some point (still hoping to be able to update stuff soon enough, there seems to always be something keeping me busy elsewhere...)

Community Member Frostwhisperer's Avatar

Whirlwind Fighter (L20 Fighter)

Concept: High damage dealer, dual-wielding weapons, favoring offense over defense.
    Original path's flaws: Waste of a few feats (multiple Toughness, Two-Weapon Defense/Blocking...), some races are wasting the L20 level-up stat point into Dex, the Dex-based races start with 18 Dex instead of 17, and the build "cheats" by taking Toughness at L20 even though it is not a Fighter bonus feat.
    Main fixes: Moved feats around (for better saves mostly), and optimized stat points better.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good

Stats and Race (28/32 pt):
    ........Drow.....Dwarf......Elf.....Halfling...Human...Warforged.
    .Str.....16......16/17.....16/17.....15/16.....16/17.....16/17...
    .Dex.....17........16........17........17........16........16....
    .Con.....13........16........13........14........14........16....
    .Int.....10........8.........8.........8.........8.........8.....
    .Wis.....10......10/11.....10/11......9/10.....10/11......8/9....
    .Cha.....10........6.........8.........8.........8.........6.....

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Str, except for races that start with 16 base Dex, that should invest their first point (at L4) in Dex if they cannot get a +1 Dex tome before leveling to L6 (other points should still be invested in Str).

Skills, except Human and Drow: Get one rank in Tumble and spend the rest into Balance.
    Skills, Human and Drow: Max out Intimidate, get one rank in Tumble and spend the rest into Balance.
    So I was wondering. Why 11 wisdom?

And many many thanks. I'm having a great time with my AA and ninja spy monk
    My mom told me to become a warforged sorcerer. But did I listen? Noooooooooooooo

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Beacon of Hope (L20 Favored Soul)

Concept: Healing-focused Favored Soul, with good offensive casting abilities, but weak in melee
    Original path's flaws: Focus on Cha (making it a weak offensive caster), no Extend (which is very useful for short term buffs and Blade Barriers), a few weird choices in spell selection (like Banishment but no Blade Barrier, Symbold of Weakness but no Destruction...)
    Main fixes: Made it a better offensive caster, switching the main stat to Wis and taking Spell Penetration instead of Improved Mental Toughness, ending up at L20 with +4 spell DC and +2 spell penetration (at the cost of about 235 less spell points), with more useful spells overall

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good

Stats and Race (28/32 pt):
    ........Drow.....Dwarf......Elf.....Halfling...Human...Warforged.
    .Str.....9.........10.......9/10......9/10.......10........10....
    .Dex.....10........8.........10........10.......9/10.......8.....
    .Con.....13......15/16.......13........14........14......14/16...
    .Int.....10........8.........8.........8.........8.........8.....
    .Wis.....17......17/18.....17/18.....17/18.....17/18.......16....
    .Cha.....16........13........14........14........14......12/13...

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Wis.

Skills: max out Concentration (on Human and Drow, also get 1 rank into Tumble and dump remaining points into Balance)

Feats (by level), except Human: Toughness (1), Favored by the Sovereign Host (1), Extend (3), Child of the Sovereign Host (3), Energy Resistance: Fire (5), Empower Healing (6), Quicken (9), Energy Resistance: Acid (10), Maximize (12), Beloved of the Sovereign Host (12), Energy Resistance: Electricity (15), Spell Penetration (15), Mental Toughness (18), Damage Reduction: Cold Iron (20)
    Feats (by level), Human: Same, but add Mental Toughness at L1, and take Greater Spell Penetration at L18.

For more information about picking enhancements please read this post.
    Enhancements (Favored Soul): Charisma I, Concentration I, Energy of the Scion II, Favored Soul Ascendency (capstone), Improved Spell Penetration II, Life Magic III, Prayer of Incredible Life II, Prayer of Life II, Toughness II, Unyielding Sovereignty, Wand and Scroll Mastery III, Wisdom II
    Enhancements (Drow): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Dwarf): Constitution I, Racial Toughness II, Spell Defense I
    Enhancements (Elf): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Halfling): Hero's Companion III, Luck (Fortitude) I, Luck (Reflex) I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Human): Adaptability Wisdom I, Improved Recovery I, Orien Balance I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Warforged): Combat Training I, Constitution I, Hardiness I, Healer's Friend I, Racial Toughness II

Spells taken when leveling up.
    Spells followed by brackets may be swapped for the spell given in brackets, at the character level also provided. Swapping spells is often a non-mandatory minor optimization, so you may decide not to do it if it is too expensive for you (you can also directly pick the spell that should be swapped to, but be careful that you may wish you had the other spell while leveling up).
    • L1: Command [Summon Monster I at L13] / Cure Light Wounds [Protection from Evil at L11]
    • L2: Bless [Remove Fear at L9]
    • L3: Nightshield
    • L4: Resist Energy
    • L5: Cure Moderate Wounds [Owl's Wisdom at L12]
    • L6: Searing Light
    • L7: Prayer / Soundburst
    • L8: Death Ward [Neutralize Poison at L16]
    • L9: Aid, Mass / Freedom of Movement / Lesser Restoration
    • L10: Raise Dead
    • L11: Cure Light Wounds, Mass [True Seeing at L19] / Recitation / Remove Curse
    • L12: Heal
    • L13: Blade Barrier / Cure Critical Wounds / Greater Command
    • L14: Destruction
    • L15: Break Enchantment / Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass / Spell Resistance, Mass
    • L16: Death Ward, Mass
    • L17: Death Pact / Protection from Elements, Mass
    • L18: Heal, Mass
    • L19: Cure Critical Wounds, Mass / Implosion
    • L20: True Resurrection

Soloability by level:

No hireling..: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    With hireling: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Tips:
    - Remember that you need a Cha of at least (10 + spell level) to cast a spell. You can use items, enhancements, tomes and the Eagle's Splendor spell to meet this requirement.
    - At some point your AC will not be good enough to avoid being hit, even on a 2. You can happily run around with two weapons (to boost your spells) and a good looking robe or vestment (faster to swap than armor).
    - A healer's first priority is not to heal others, but to stay alive.
    - As the party healer, you will be expected to be able to help with a number of situations. Since the Favored Soul spell selection is limited, make sure that you carry wands, potions or scrolls for: Remove Fear, Lesser Restoration, Remove Blindness, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison, Restoration (Greater Restoration later), True Seeing, Heroes' Feast. You may of course stop carrying these once you learn the same spells.

Variants:
    - Mental Toughness can be handy, but players comfortable with spell point management and use of scrolls/wands may prefer to swap it out (taking e.g. Greater Spell Penetration or Empower spell for even stronger offensive casting).
    - A Cha-focused build like the original path still makes sense for someone willing to totally give up offensive spellcasting (for people who may prefer a full support role). The main advantage is the gain in spell points (29 for every +2 Cha at L20). In such a situation, going Halfling and switching Toughness / Maximize / Spell Penetration for the Halfling dragonmarks will give the character even more healing power (if not Halfling, just take Improved Mental Toughness instead of Spell Penetration). If you go this route, at least be aware that the large majority of quests benefit from a healer who can do something else than just sit back and heal.
    - If instead you want to fully maximize your offensive spell-casting ability, you may start with 18 Wis even on a 28 pt build, dropping points from Dex/Str/Con. Be careful that low Str makes you more vulnerable to Str damage, and can lead to encumbrance issues (especially on Halflings).
    - True Resurrection at L20 can be replaced by Energy Drain if you do not mind carrying Resurrection scrolls for in-combat raising.
    - Owl's Wisdom taken at L12 is for the very rare situation where a melee in your group could use a boost to will saves. It is hard to find another L2 spell potentially useful at high level, but feel free to take whatever you like! Similarly, getting Summon Monster I at L13 is for when you need a summoned creature for something specific, like managing aggro, or triggering some rune, which is very situational.
    - For a bit less healing power but more offensive fun, keep Mass Cure Light Wounds and swap Mass Cure Moderate Wounds with Cometfall at L19.
    - This build is close in spirit to the Font of Healing Cleric path. In short, the Cleric is more versatile (thanks to the abiliity to swap spells at shrines), while the Favored Soul gets more spell points and at L20 gains some very useful Damage Reduction and free casting of Cure Light Wounds, making it more powerful overall.

Color code: best to worst = green, yellow, orange, red
    Tihocan, you list this as being an offensive caster, yet the lack of Heighten makes that extremely difficult. 105 extra SP is not enough to make up for not having this feat. I believe you should also mention taking Spell Focus: Evocation instead of Spell Penetration feats as the best offensive spell Favoured Souls have available is Blade Barrier, which does not roll against SR but is an Evocation spell.

You have Owl's Wisdom listed as a level 2 spell choice, yet not Eagle's Splendor, which will be more useful in high level quests that have Disjunction, such as the IQ, Abbot raid, Epic ADQ1 and others so casting higher level spells is not lost completely.

Additionally, Life Magic 4 is worth much more than Prayer of Life 2 and Prayer of Incredibly Life combined. A Favoured Soul should aim at having a non-crit heal be enough, at which point crit-heals end up as overhealing.

And finally, you should mention Empower instead of Empower Healing, at least done in the options. The only things Empower Healing affects that Empower does not is Heal and Mass Heal, which often do not need the boost, and FvS have an enhancement line to reduce the cost of Empower down to 9 SP, which is cheaper than Empower Healing would be.

EDIT: The solo-ability you have listed is incorrect. Upon getting Blade Barrier, it is extremely easy to solo from level 12 all the way to 20, where Blade Barrier's effectiveness drops off due to the incredibly high saves in Epic. It should be green from levels 12 to 19, and then perhaps yellow or orange at level 20. Also, if you take CHA down to 12 and DEX to 8, that is enough points available to put into STR to melee from level 1 all the way up to level 20 with Divine Favour/Power in Epic content, and makes for a much more rounded character overall, and drastically improves solo-ability in the lower levels (Divine Favour is more SP-efficient than any damaging spell is below level 12).

EDIT 2: You have Orien Balance 1 listed under Human, but not the prerequisite feat Least Dragonmark or Passage.
    Last edited by AylinIsAwesome; 09-12-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwhisperer View Post
    So I was wondering. Why 11 wisdom?
    Will saves. If you prefer, you can also decrease Wis by 2 and increase Con by 1. Either way won't really make a significant difference.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast