Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Giving a hard time to "new" players

hi every1,

First i like to apologize for my English - It's not my first language.

A little background on my "playing history": i got a few lvl 10+ characters (6 actually) - one of them is a lvl 20 TR character. I've been playing this game for nearly 6 month now and up till now its been great. I'm not new to the whole MMORPG scene and usually when a i join a new game - i take my time in reading the forums and understanding the "small things" that each game has. I already run over 20 shroud runs (and about the same on Hound / VoD). i got my GS M2 weapon and a dragontouch armor with some nice enchantments on it (and some other unique and cool items).

However, in the last few days/weeks i found myself being a little frustrated with some of the "old/vets/w.e u call urself" players. with the new epic Von mod - i figured now would be a great time to start doing some epic questing and have some fun. but, for some reason most people wont accept me to the raid ( i say most because there are about 20% who would give a new player a chance) or party.

Yesterday there was a LFM for von6 (i did a successful run of von6 about 5 times till that point) and the LFM needed my class, i applied to the group and got declined. out of curiosity i whispered the leader and asked: why did u declined me when ur LFM says u need my class (just wondering). he replied with: "i dont know you". Now, i can understand why some1 would rather run with people he knows. but since DDO went F2P there has been a LOT of new players in the game - the "old times" of every1 knows every1 are gone. shouldn't we deserve the chance of proving we know how to play?

After pushing the matter a little more by saying - shouldn't u atleast try to get to know me or give me a chance? if it works ull have a new "friend" and an easier time in filling up ur LFM, if not u could /squelch me for good and forget about me. the answer i got for that was "fyi some1 said ur not a good player" and "make your own raid". i cant really argue with "some1 said..." (especially since it sounded like he was just trying to blow me off).

That kind of attitude really ****ed me off to the point where i was considering to delete the game and just leave...

I thought u guys wanted some "fresh blood" in the game - why then, do you give us such a hard time?

If this was a one time thing - then fine - i wouldn't have said anything. but it seems like there are a LOT of people out there who just wont run with "new" players. let's not forget that a lot of the players out there are playing with alts so it's even harder to "know every new player".

*side note: let's face it - this game is NOT such a hard game - u don't need to be a brain surgeon to succeed.*

I don't know why i made this post. Maybe I'm hoping that atleast one "vet" will see this and rethink about his attitude. As for me, i think ill give it a few more tries to see if i can "fit in" - if not then maybe its time to move on...

The post came out a little longer then i expected... sorry about that.

earn your chance, don't complain.

If you show you are a quality player, invites will follow.

Epic VON6 is different than regular VON6, and both can be wiped by one player not listening or paying attention.
    You have to understand, many people do take chances and often get burned, so it causes this attitude, right or wrong.
    Last edited by Minor_Threat; 02-17-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheona777 View Post
    I am proud of this forum post because it shows my ego and my pride. Yahoo Answers! was only to poll others on what they thought of the situation. I know I am in the right and I am always right.

This situation has happened to EVERYONE. Old, new, young, old, beautiful, ugly... you name it.

The person putting up the lfm has the right to accept or not accept as he or she desires. You might have been the perfect person for the raid, might have saved it from a sure wipe... but that is neither here nor there.

Your issue has little to do with vet vs new player, and all to do with rejection. Yeah it sucks, and it sucks to be left in a queue but that is the way it is--considerate people send a tell, inconsiderate people leave you hanging--but it IS the lfm poster's choice who to accept or decline. And that is as it should be.
    Last edited by Clay; 02-17-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    earn your chance, don't complain.
    To be fair, how does one earn a chance when one is being declined for an LFM?

Really- if you don't want people you don't know in your party, perhaps you should fill your group from your guild/friends list? (Assuming all else is equal)
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

It was an epic lfm. Nough said

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    To be fair, how does one earn a chance when one is being declined for an LFM?
    By not running to the teacher crying when you don't get picked for a team at recess.

A lot harder to "win friends and influence puggers" with your play skill when you act petulantly and go crying to the forums when you don't get selected.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    This situation has happened to EVERYONE. Old, new, young, old, beautiful, ugly... you name it.

The person putting up the lfm has the right to accept or not accept as he or she desires. You might have been the perfect person for the raid, might have saved it from a sure wipe... but that is neither here nor there.

Your issue has little to do with vet vs new player, and all to do with rejection. Yeah it sucks, and it sucks to be left in a queue but that is the way it is--considerate people send a tell, inconsiderate people leave you hanging--but it IS the lfm poster's choice who to accept or decline. And that is as it should be.
    I'm not arguing with the leader's right to accept/decline players - I am however arguing with the "attitude" most of them have. I got the Idea that the general community in this game is mature and friendly - however it doesn't always feel that way. this is not about being declined - its about the reason I was declined.

If you think that all this post is about is "whine that i didnt get picked" then maybe i wasnt clear enough (i run a few quests/raids as the leader - and i didn't always accepted every single one who applied - but the reason was different) - and I'm sorry for that.. but that's not the issue here.
    Last edited by zzflame; 02-17-2010 at 08:29 PM.

The only thing that makes no sense is if you don't want a new player, why put up a LFM at all? If you want a PUG group throw up a LFM and roll your chances. Yea - there are a lot of crappy players out there - just as there are a lot of good ones.

If a person wants to hook up with only people they know then they run with guildies or throw tells to friends. Don't let the jackasses in the game turn you off. I have honestly met at least five great people for every jackass I have had to deal with.

There are a lot of ignorant morons anywhere you go. However - trust me when I say there are a lot of awesome vets who know there stuff out there and are willing to guide a new player to becoming a vet. You won't find them sitting around in a circle waiting for a new player with potential to come along singing Koombayah and getting ready to dish out sage advice. They'll sneak up on you, check you out, maybe throw a little bit of advice when you group with them from an LFM.

How you act in that LFM will be the clincher. During the mission they will take note if you have potential or if you act idiotically - or at least many will. All you can do is stand by your character and build your reputation. It won't happen all at once, but it will happen.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

^ This. +1

Assuming the leader was a "Vet" doesnt realy make a lot of sense. Mod9/U players never decline folks they dont like?

BTW Clay... Stop Declining me!
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

By not running to the teacher crying when you don't get picked for a team at recess.

A lot harder to "win friends and influence puggers" with your play skill when you act petulantly and go crying to the forums when you don't get selected.
    Turning a new player away from the forums where this is where they should go for advice or to ask questions is not the answer either.

I read your OP and the bottom line is you were rejected and it rankled.

There is no obligation for the LFM poster to even give you a reason. You could have entered into a "am too" "are not" argument about your leet playing skill... but really what purpose would that serve.

He declined you, join a different LFM. Shine and shine on, and people will notice.

One of the better players I know did an experiment with an anonymous character: running with no mic, unguilded and slightly twinked. He encountered issues similar to what you are complaining about... but before too long HAD established a reputation as a go to player.

I will leave you with some old Cowboy campfire advice:

Tend your own fire
    Lay low and be strong
    Wait a while;
    It'll come around.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

Community Member

I didnt read the Original Post 'cause there were to many words but what i do have to say is important... GET OVER IT!
    Argonessen and Khyber Servers - Officer of Aces over Kings and Stormreach Thieves Guild
    http://www.srtg.org.au - Antir ~ Raegouli ~ Sussant ~ Servantir

Fair enough.
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by MystDragon View Post
    Turning a new player away from the forums where this is where they should go for advice or to ask questions is not the answer either.
    Please highlight for me in the OP where it is that the poster is asking a question or for advice? My reading skills must be lacking.

The forums ARE a place to ask questions and advice, and if the OP had done so, I would give the same advice: LET IT GO.

The forums are not so forgiving for whining and complaining about the hardships of [in game] life. Yeah it sucks... but what do you want? Tolero to come down and give infraction points to the ogre who declined him and a lolipop to the OP for his hurt feelings?

I am attempting to enlighten the OP that the situation that has his banties in a punch happens to all of us. Join a different lfm or make your own. It is NOT about vet vs new player.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

It isn't necessarily a new versus old thing.

I've been around this game since 2006. In that time I have been turned down for parties at various times because I was (amongst my many characters, rerolls, and junktoons and in no particular order):

a wizard; a warforged; a rogue; an intimitank; a paladin; a barbarian; an elf; they didn't know me; their friend (who I had never heard of) said I wasn't a team player; they didn't like my guild; I am male; I wanted a quick run; I wanted to complete the optionals; I didn't have evasion...

...and so on. There are millions of silly little reasons a person might be refused. It is the party leader's right to select who they want in their party.

That said, I feel for the OP, because it always feels like **** when someone says they don't want you in group and imply that you aren't good enough to be in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Natulyre View Post
    It was an epic lfm. Nough said
    Natulyre- can you (or someone else) explain this comment to me, please?

ETA: I know what Epic is, etc.- What I'm trying to understand is your reasoning behind this statement. What makes Epic LFMs different in your viewpoint?
    Last edited by phalaeo; 02-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    ~ Ascent~

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    Natulyre- can you (or someone else) explain this comment to me, please?

ETA: I know what Epic is, etc.- What I'm trying to understand is your reasoning behind this statement. What makes Epic LFMs different in your viewpoint?
    Epic is extreamly difficult. People are more comfortable running with people they are familiar with.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Please highlight for me in the OP where it is that the poster is asking a question or for advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by zzflame View Post
    I thought u guys wanted some "fresh blood" in the game - why then, do you give us such a hard time?
    His post did come out a bit whiney, but he mentioned that English was not his native language, so I passed off on that - his post to me summed up to that one question which sounded like a person a bit confused looking for answers.

It was just that your one response came off to me as turning him away from the forums. As for the rest of your postings and advice - +1 - I fully agree.

When this happens to me I rely on an old time Army phrase - **** happens, move on.

The forums are not so forgiving for whining and complaining about the hardships of [in game] life. Yeah it sucks... but what do you want? Tolero to come down and give infraction points to the ogre who declined him and a lolipop to the OP for his hurt feelings?
    This is a win. I loved this response. If Tolero shows up with a lolipop - its all on you.

Quote Originally Posted by zzflame View Post
    hi every1,

That kind of attitude really ****ed me off to the point where i was considering to delete the game and just leave...

If this was a one time thing - then fine - i wouldn't have said anything. but it seems like there are a LOT of people out there who just wont run with "new" players. let's not forget that a lot of the players out there are playing with alts so it's even harder to "know every new player".

*side note: let's face it - this game is NOT such a hard game - u don't need to be a brain surgeon to succeed.*

I don't know why i made this post. Maybe I'm hoping that atleast one "vet" will see this and rethink about his attitude. As for me, i think ill give it a few more tries to see if i can "fit in" - if not then maybe its time to move on...

The post came out a little longer then i expected... sorry about that.
    Get over it, everybody gets declined every now and then. Just make every group you are in, a positive experiance and this will happen less often. It's part of every MMO, so threats of quiting really are quite trivial.

Again....It happens to everyone, regardless of paid/f2p. People decline for a multitude of reasons. Getting into a "tell war" with the party leader will NOT help your situation, nor will the assumption that every "vet" will decline you.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Epic is extreamly difficult. People are more comfortable running with people they are familiar with.
    Exactly what i was going to type. +rep for mind reading

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast