Thread: UnWritten DC's

Founder

Default UnWritten DC's

How can you tell the DC of a nonstandard spell casting item (like the sword Terror, the 'Shaken' that comes from a roaring weapon, etc...) when it is not listed in the item description?

Does anyone know if the 'Heighten Wand' enh affects those DC's?

Founder

Well it looks like the wand damage enhancement increases the 5d8 force damage, after I tracked 50 force damages from Terror. It is harder to say if the DC was affected.

That damage is great for mobs under lvl 15. The ones above that begin saving 50% + against the 5d8. The 19cr Storm giants of reavers took almost no force damage.

It is likely that other items are also affected by wand enh. I am using a fighter12/wiz4/monk2 for the tests now but would really like to get some data from a spellsword with more wand enhancements.
    Last edited by Roziel_Longblade; 02-14-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Founder

Preliminary testing looks as if paralyzers are also affected by the heighten wand DC enhancement. Looks good for Wiz/Sorc multies that work with crowd control. I will be testing smiters and disruptors soon as well.

If you have a caster that uses any melee weapon, I would love to get feedback that reconfirms or refutes what I am noticing about weapon effects so far.

Community Member

I usually test on friends in the PvP pit. For example within a few minutes we discovered the attribute Improved Roaring on a weapon has a DC of about 27 or 28 if I recall correctly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Humperdink View Post
    I usually test on friends in the PvP pit. For example within a few minutes we discovered the attribute Improved Roaring on a weapon has a DC of about 27 or 28 if I recall correctly.
    Improved Roaring shouldn't have a save at all. Normally, 'Shaken' is what occurs when you succeed in a save against fear.

Founder

So far I have been looking at the number of "save" floaties I get above a mobs head before it dies. I generally test a few different mobs to make sure there is not some anomaly that I may not be considering.

Can you paralyze other players in pvp? If yes I will try to see about getting that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roziel_Longblade View Post
    So far I have been looking at the number of "save" floaties I get above a mobs head before it dies. I generally test a few different mobs to make sure there is not some anomaly that I may not be considering.

Can you paralyze other players in pvp? If yes I will try to see about getting that set up.
    Yes, as long as they don't have freedom of movement, and are not warforged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Founder

Well the damage thoery is out the window. I have not rolled more than 40 force damage with Terror but one 8 did come up. I guess the first time the caster was 25% more lucky with damage rolls than the non-caster.

Still have not had anyone test the DC question with, or for, me.

Community Member

The description of the Nightmare attribute reads "The weapon terrorizes your foes, applying a Mind Thrust effect on successful hits (dealing 5d8 force damage, Will vs Enchantment negates)...". So attack a friend with the sword. If they have a 20 will save versus the school of enchantment (remember to take into account racial and equipment bonuses such as the Belt of Tongues) and fail with a roll of 5+20 for example, but succeed on a 6+20, then the DC on the Nightmare effect is 25.

Founder

After testing the Sword "Terror" by a couple Kensai II warriors, mind thrust on the sword Terror has a 21DC. At the time of my tests it was not affected by Wand DC enhancements.

That means it is unlikely that other weapon effects are affected by wand enh. If I get different results when I test those items I will post the info here.