Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is the point of rogue?

Oh I'm playing a pure rogue, and its been frustrating, at first I started as a trap monkey but there are so many MC rogues they made me useless, than I went Assassin and people complained about me not finding all the traps everytime. How do people play rogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mecholi22 View Post
    than I went Assassin and people complained about me not finding all the traps everytime. How do people play rogue?
    The go Assassin style an fully know that you wont make a perfect streak with all boxes, in all quests, even over you character level, and on elite. Especially if you arent a TR with perfect gear lying ready to equip each odd level.

And ignore those complainers. Its the same with a Fighter who dies in a fight. Nobody wants it, but it happens sometimes.

P.S.
    Also make sure that you have all the easy to get buff potions used, and some trapenhancements taken, chug pots when you are facing a challenging trapbox.
    * Potion of Heroism
    * Potion of Fox Cunning
    * Skill boost activated
    * taken the first two levels of Search and Disable enhancements.
    * wear the best search and disable item that you can get when disabling the box, wear fighting gear otherwise.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

Oh I'm playing a pure rogue, and its been frustrating, at first I started as a trap monkey but there are so many MC rogues they made me useless, than I went Assassin and people complained about me not finding all the traps everytime. How do people play rogue?
    I'd also suggest to not get too discouraged. Try to remember that all those people complaining probably have done the quest a lot of times, and know where the traps are like the backs of their hands.
    Mhykke(Pldn):Mhykkelle(Srcr):Mykkelle(Rngr):Mhykael(Clrc):Mykke(Brbrn):Mhykel(Ftr):
    Mhykelle(Wzrd):Mhyke(Brd):Mykkael(Rgr/Rog/Barb):Mykkel(Rog):Mhykkaelsan(Mnk):Mhykkael(FVS):Mhykkel(Brd):Markas(Ret.Srcr)

Keep your disable device, open locks, search, spot and umd maxxed. If you do not have a bard, max your haggle as well. Beyond that, play what you want. If you have a decent intelligence and put action points into search, then you should have no problem finding and removing traps.

At lower levels, focus on being a backup melee/trap monkey.
    At mid/high levels, you can respec your action points to play whatever style you want be it assassin, acrobat or mechanic and still have no problem with traps, just get some gear that boosts disable, search, spot, and open locks.

As far as multiclassed rogues, they trade off extra sneak attack dice, lvl 18 pre's and specialized feats (lvl 10+) for versatility. Do not be discouraged if they are your equal in disarming traps in low level quests, its the top end quests on epic that will test their skills and yours...so far epic disable DC's appear to be 75+.
    Lava Diving Free Companion
    Boliard Orland Bace Falion Racas Gimak Augite Bitterpill Lutav Fanion BellJar Anoni Debussy

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Mine's a killer.

And I also disable an occasional trap.....when people remind me I can do that.

But don't you dare run through a trap and leave me behind.

I'm disabling those for you, not for me....I have evasion.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

with an intell of 8 you can max all the important skills and pretty much never fail on a search open or disable with out taking any extra feats ect, u can also max umd and toss some points into other useful skills. buy +5 tools from the ah or ask for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_D View Post
    with an intell of 8 you can max all the important skills and pretty much never fail on a search open or disable with out taking any extra feats ect, u can also max umd and toss some points into other useful skills. buy +5 tools from the ah or ask for them.
    Yes but don't expect to get all traps on an elite dungeon on a base INT of 8 unless you have the best +INT/search/dd items, +5 tools, and buffs on you.

Quote Originally Posted by budwise09 View Post
    Yes but don't expect to get all traps on an elite dungeon on a base INT of 8 unless you have the best +INT/search/dd items, +5 tools, and buffs on you.
    Umm... no disrespect but... duh, that goes without saying... if you want to be elite, you need elite gear, none of which is expensive or difficult to obtain,the hardest probably being the head of good fortune (easily relaced by the voice of the master. I would guess that aquiring all the gear one would need at every level would cost less than 100k pp total. If you are wasting stat points or feats on rogue skills, you will be "elite" at traps but subpar on combat. Combat is by far the most important part of this game so if you e sub par people ill notice an avoid you morethan if you fail on the odd trap (except the von5 traps... fail on those and people will black list you forever.

Another option is just to refuse to do rogue skills. You just have to let people know you are combat spec'ed and then back it up by not sucking at combat.

Im surprised you are seeing this. There is no reason you cant go assassin and still take care of a majority of the traps. The ones you wont be bale to do the group probably wont expect you to be able to do in the first place.

I have two characters that are rogue splashes for that same reason.

Hmm, I would sugest Tharnes Goggles (set is nice too), +6 int item, +6 wis item (on a shroud item), voice/head, girds, and find some escape/disable glove you can swap too situationally. Rogue Skill boost is good too. As long as you are maxing the relevant skills (why you wouldnt is beyond me...) you should be good. Started with a 12 int on my rogue (ate a +2 tome... so base 14) and he has been fine thus far and he is an acrobat.
    Wyclef
    AoK

Community Member

How do people play rogue?
    1. Rogues are mammals.
    2. Rogues fight ALL the time.
    3. The purpose of the Rogue is to flip out and kill people.

Community Member

With the right gear, rogues can be one of the most powerful classes in the game. Granted my rogue is not pure. I have a halfling rogue acrobat - 12rogue/6 ranger/2 monk.
    He can disable and find any trap even elite. My AC self buffed is in the 80's so soloing is fun. With dual radiance my dps can give even the strongest of warriors competition. HP - 450 . This rogue is my pride and joy and it's taken many errors to figure out the right recipe . I did grind for many of the items and got some lucky pulls but this is by far my favorite character.

That is all....rogues rule....my wife is dragging me away from my comp....my obsession with my toon..........

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    1. Rogues are mammals.
    lol, haven't heard that one in a while.
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Designing your rogue to 90% of traps = good.
    Designing your rogue to get 100% of traps = bad.

At 90% your rogue is still a very scary killer but any more than that and you start gimping yourself.
    Some toons with Cow in the name, and some without.

Quote Originally Posted by transtemporal View Post

At 90% your rogue is still a very scary killer but any more than that and you start gimping yourself.
    ive heared this over and over. let me ask you a quick question. in an epic von 5 who would you rather have in your party? the rogue who cares about 100 % of the traps, or one who does 30% more damage than the first one?.. if it even is 30.

you and i define a gimped rogue differently im afraid. if i want another killer in the party ill get a frenzied barb or a kensai. maybe a kotc pally or a kick ass fvs. a rogue wont make the cut. when i want a rogue there is only 1 reason. open the locks, disable the traps. if you it cant do that then you are looking at a gimp.

dont get me wrong, mine is an assassin 3 and fun as all hell. blinds and backstabs the livin hell out of almost everything. but also has never failed a trap. im not talking about maxing.. (skill feats, mechanic pre, max enhancements) but there is no reason at all for a level 20 rogue to have less than 65 on all the primary rogue skills. ol/search/spot/dd and still be one hell of a killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    We should make our feedback as honest as possible so that when it is absolutely ignored by Turbine we will get bonus points on the scoreboard of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    ive heared this over and over. let me ask you a quick question. in an epic von 5 who would you rather have in your party? the rogue who cares about 100 % of the traps, or one who does 30% more damage than the first one?.. if it even is 30.
    The better Melee rogue. Any pure rogue (and many MC) can get all the important traps with an 8 int base. I wouldnt want to run epic anything with an undergeared/underplayed toon of any class, but especially not a rogue. Rogues are all about DPS, traps are secondary in DDO, Turbine does not make quests that require one class to be completely maxxed on a certin skill in order to ge completion.
    you and i define a gimped rogue differently im afraid. if i want another killer in the party ill get a frenzied barb or a kensai. maybe a kotc pally or a kick ass fvs. a rogue wont make the cut. when i want a rogue there is only 1 reason. open the locks, disable the traps. if you it cant do that then you are looking at a gimp.
    If a rogue doesnt excel at DPS it is useless. The trap part should be a given, but if thats all you have to offer then you arent even bringing the bare minumum to the table. Rogues have the highest DPS in he game... well technically the Strength based 13rogue (Acrobat)/6 ranger (tempest)/1 monk has the highest DPS.

dont get me wrong, mine is an assassin 3 and fun as all hell. blinds and backstabs the livin hell out of almost everything. but also has never failed a trap. im not talking about maxing.. (skill feats, mechanic pre, max enhancements) but there is no reason at all for a level 20 rogue to have less than 65 on all the primary rogue skills. ol/search/spot/dd and still be one hell of a killer.
    Again, that is a given, what there is no reason for is a rogue not dominating DPS
    Reply in Red

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    1. Rogues are mammals.
    OMFG. I agree with A_D on something. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerjoe View Post
    if u put 1000 smurves in front of 1000 computers, eventually one of them will make a pally that isnt a complete abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonofsteel2 View Post
    Why should I care about what none friends think? It really not like anythink they do are say in this game really affects me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    65?
    Childs play.

82( search )-91( OL )???
    Yeah, not so much.

Let's see this uber leet killer build with awesome DPS who can get VoN 5 epic.
    THE SEXY of ARGONNESSEN ~
    Now bringing the sexy back to AoK!!!
    Ashamed officer of : My Little PWNY
    Proud officer of :Archmagi

Quote Originally Posted by transtemporal View Post

This.

The VON5 argument is the old Cabaltrap thing, this time on steroids.
    A Rogue needs to be 110% minmaxed for traps (race, feats, enhancments), and decked in shroudloot, specifically crafted for VON5, and have a stack of laborously to get potions. (yugo, house D collectibles)
    This "Rogue" is a crippled gimp who needs to wheelchaired by the others through the whole game, so you can park him in from of the VON5 traps, and once he got them, he should be wheeled out of the door, replaced by a character who can really contribute in Epic.

Some people like to hunt the red herring. I dont.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

I dont play a rogue, never built a rogue....but I used to work in the tavern in Harbor...SO I KNOW ROGUES. Be aware, Mhykke sits on a throne of lies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast