Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Godhand - A Hate-Tank Monk (12 Fighter/8 Monk)

EDIT: While I haven't got around to listing a full equipment listing, I did throw up three really fun DT Docents for use with this character. They relate to the 3 modes that this build utilizes.

In other news, I've left the game for various reasons, meaning I will not longer be addressing questions regarding this build. I'll still be on addressing questions for the next two weeks, but I'll be gone gone gone after that. Best of luck, and thank you all for such kind words and a great experience.

EDIT: I've updated this build in regard to class progression. Once I get around to worrying more about equipment, I will post three full equipment layouts (one for AC, another for DPS, and another for troublesome tanking) and a list of which feats to take at which levels. I've also edited some of the notes regarding the build. None of this is greatly different from the previous build layout, and those of you still in the process of leveling this build don't need to worry about any of the changes here. Cheers! ^_^

Philosophy:

With the garnered interest in the monk class as of late, I thought to put out a build that works slightly different than the other tiny speedsters that might be making their rounds as of late. There are a number of similar builds, but I have yet to see one fully built toward serving the purpose of a hate tank. A hate-tank monk?! Preposterous! I submit to you the Godhand build.

I’ve min-maxed this build in something of a counter-intuitive fashion. Namely, no astounding wisdom and a low dexterity. Why? With the light-based buffs not requiring a DC, and the fighter-warforged/strength-based line of enhancements, and with the synergy between the Kensai and Monk classes, Ki generation is a non-issue (there is a ton of it), and this build is able to achieve a higher stun DC than a capped monk without plugging stats into Wisdom. As well, some impressive combat feats are able to be employed by going max-strength (Sunder, Trip). Furthermore, while this build’s AC is workable end-game (certainly not optimal, and certainly not in epic), the idea is to stick somewhere between using a generic AC for mobs and the DoD while tanking.

The Godhand can be healed effectively by arcane and divine (minimum of 94% divine healing) casters, which makes it choice for raids and tricky quests. It is, perhaps, one of the cheapest hate-tanks to keep alive, since it benefits so greatly from mass heals and mass repairs. Even better than this, by utilizing the DPS benefits of the monk/unarmed, this build is optimal for 50-100% fortification enemies/bosses. You should find that aggro generation often occurs even without the brute-force line of enhancements if you are playing this build efficiently, but this build can get to very effective hate-aggro-generation with said enhancements and with items – if deemed necessary.

Where this build comes to appropriate what works best for the Monster is that it can impressively function within 3 distinct modes: An AC mode (wherein the DPS in AC mode still outdoes that of builds like the Monster), A DPS mode (to be used when you have a reliable source (or sources) of healing), and a Pure Tank mode (to be used only when you find yourself in the very rare situation of being out-DPS'd in a raid, and thus need to gather more aggro). All three modes can be achieved through equipment alone, meaning the versatility of this build come end-game is very high. I will post more on what the equipment setup looks like in specific later.

Caveats and Warnings:

I composed this build while working toward my TR on my capped monk. As a result, the numbers here are intended for a character for which I had already grinded out the tomes and equipment. This build is both clickie/boost heavy, and gear dependent in order to shine; however, as an experiment I brought this build to level 16 from afresh, and it remained a viable and fun party candidate. The damage is spectacular. Still, some experience with monk ki strikes and fighter boosts will be necessary to play this build effectively. I hope you view your keyboard like a piano, and plan on making some beautiful music.

If starting with a 32 point build rather than TRing, I suggest taking a stat point away from wisdom. As well, the DPS numbers on a non-TR’d version of this will fall by only 2.5 per hit, which is less than some would think. As a result, there is no need to think of this as specifically a TR build. Several friends of mine have run this build to 20 by going with a 32 point build, and they have all given me very positive feedback.

Because this build is able to utilize 17 feats, and, by use of gear, a viable AC or DR or HP, I opted for HP on this build. There is a lot of room for play with enhancements, feats, and skills (UMD is possible on this build, as well as intimidate if you push it). Therefore, the general effectiveness of this build emerges on the basis of the situation – making it versatile, adaptive, and largely customizable. Unfortunately for me, it also makes stating some solid numbers rather difficult -- although I've done what I can.

(For those that are newer to following builds, I would suggest that you look at what aspects of the game are giving you the most trouble (stuns not landing as much as you'd like? feel as though an additional 20 HP would help? getting hit too much or not hitting enough? would like more divine healing?) and use enhancements as a way to give you the boost you need to, say tactics, or HP, or improved healing, etc.. Figure out where you feel you need the extra help, and don't be afraid to reset your enhancements.)

My notes for enhancements and feats and skills are kept in the general, as a result of the kind of versatility that can be obtained with this build. I will, now that TR has come back up, post my own versions and experiments with various aspects of the build's feats and enhancements, but until that time if you feel as though you may like a level by level run down simply PM me.

Without further rambling:

The Godhand Build:
    Level 20 Lawful Neutral Warforged Male
    (12 Fighter / 8 Monk)
    BAB: 20/20/25/30/30 (w/ Flurry of Blows)

Level Progression A: 1-8 Monk, 9-20 Fighter (simpler to level, better abilities accessed earlier)
    Level Progression B: 1-2 Monk, 3 Fighter, 4-5 Monk, 6 Fighter, 7 Monk, 8 Fighter, 9-10 Monk, 11 Fighter, 12 Monk, 13-20 Fighter (more complex to level, better skill distribution -- especially for filling monk based skills)
    ----------------

Abilities (unbuffed)
    (34 Point - TR I)
    ---
    [36] Strength 18 +3 Tome +5 Levels +2 Fighter +6 Item = 34, +1 Exceptional +1 Litany = 36
    [26] Dexterity 15 +2 Tome +6 Item = 23, +1 Litany +2 Stance= 26
    [28] Constitution 17 +3 Tome +2 WF +6 Item = 28, +1 Exceptional +1 Litany -2 Stance = 28
    [—] Intelligence 8 +2 Tome = Negligible
    [18] Wisdom 8 +2 Tome +1 Monk +6 Item = 17, +1 Litany = 18
    [—] Charisma = Robot Charm.

----------------

Abilities (self-buffed)
    ---
    STRENGTH: 52 maintainable, without madstone, but can boost to 58

36 +8 Powersurge = 44, + 6 Titan = 50, +2 Rage = 52, +2/4 Madstone = 54-56, +2 Yugo = 56-58 STR

(for power-gaming purposes (or as a joke), with a +2 exceptional, +4 tome, in Fire Stance, with Fighter Strength III and store pots and other buffs it is possible to get ~66 -68 very temporary STR… and then the scourge choker makes it really absurd… but it's silly, and, interestingly, there is significantly less of a DPS gain than one would think. You end up with worse DPS via stance, and the sheer amount of short term clickies/bursts)
    ---
    CONSTITUTION: ~36

30 + 2 Rage = 32, +2 Yugo = 34, +4-8 Madstone = 38-42, -2 Stance = 36-40

(again, for extreme circumstances, stances can be switched and pots/buffs can be applied, but I'm content with 36-40)

----------------

Feats (17):

Toughness x4 (can be assigned elsewhere if desired)
    TWF, ITWF, GTWF
    Weapon Focus, GWF, Weapon Specialization, GWS: Bludgeoning
    IC: Bludgeoning
    Past Life
    Power Attack
    Stunning Blow
    Quick Draw
    Dodge

----------------

Enhancements:

Fighter Attack Boost II (3)
    Fighter Extra Action Boost I (2)
    Fighter Haste Boost IV (10)
    Kensai Unarmed Mastery II (2)
    Fighter Critical Accuracy II (3)
    Fighter Kensai II (6)
    Fighter Stunning Blow I (1)
    Fighter Unarmed Specialization I (1)
    Monk Improved Recovery II (6)
    Adept of Wind (2)
    Adept of Rock (2)
    Racial Toughness II (3)
    Fighter Strength II (6)
    Fighter Toughness II (3)
    Warforged Constitution II (6)
    Warforged Construct Thinking I (1)
    Warforged Hardiness I (1)
    Warforged Healer’s Friend I (2)
    Warforged Power Attack III (6)
    Warforged Tactics I (2)
    Warforged Brute Fighting III (6)
    ---

74 AP Spent. 6 can be spent on additional HP, DR, tactics (which I recommend), or further brute fighting if necessary, etc.

----------------

Self-Achievable Hit Points:

180 - Constitution
    120 - Fighter
    64 - Monk
    92 - Toughness x4 (I know… but almost 100 additional HP on a 17 feat build lends a lot of survivability)
    40 - Toughness Enh x4
    20 - Heroic Durability
    10 - Draconic Vitality
    20 - Minos Legens
    30 - Greater False Life
    45 - Greensteel Item
    = 621 Standing
    ---
    40 - 80 - Madstone (+4 - +8)
    20 - Rage
    20 - Yugoloth Potion Secret Effect
    = 701-741

----------------

Healing Amplification
    Base - 50%
    Healers Friend Rank I +15%, Improved Recovery II +20%, DT armor/Bracers +20% = 93.6%, meaning can be healed by both divine and arcane sources reliably. Can be brought over 100% with gear.

----------------

Final AC Breakdown (for when AC matters. Note: should be typically kept low for DoD and Madstone purposes):
    10 Base
    8 Dexterity
    4 Wisdom
    2 Centered AC
    9 DT Docent + Composite Plating
    2 Chaosgarde
    5 Deflection
    3 Chattering Ring
    4 Insight
    1 Ritual
    1 Dodge
    ---
    49 - Unbuffed
    ---
    3 Bark pot
    1 Haste
    4 Shield
    ---
    57 - Self Buffed
    ---
    2 Barkskin
    4 Bard song
    6 Aura
    2 Defensive Stance
    3 Heroes Comp
    2 Blocking
    2 Recitation
    ---
    78 - Raid Buffed

----------------

Saves (Self-Buffed)
    Fighter: 8/4/4
    Monk: 5/5/5
    Stats: 13/8/4
    Resist: 5/5/5
    GH: 4/4/4
    Kensai: 2/2/2
    Walk: 2/2/2
    Luck: 1/1/1
    Litany: 1/1/1
    ---
    41/32/28 (with evasion, of course)
    ---
    +2/2/2 (still mind) vs. enchantments:
    42/34/30

----------------

DPS (Matters):

TO-HIT:
    With a BAB of 20/20/25/30/30 the Kensai II line, the "walk" finisher, a very respectable strength modifier, the equal to-hit of unarmed, and all of the fighter feats, this build's to-hit is among the other bests. Epic content is not an issue. (If someone wants to calculate this for me, I will give them a cookie.)

----------------

TACTICS DCs:
    Trip, Sunder: 10 (Base) +2 (Kensai) +2 (Tactics) +~24 Strength bonus = ~38 DC
    Stunning Blow = 38 +2 (ENH) = 40, +10 (weighted, when it finally works) = ~50 DC

----------------

ATTACK SPEED:

This is where the real DPS come in, marking it as a very respectable DPS build. Unless I am mistaken, with handwraps, this is the fastest possible attack in DDO as of the present and coming mod. From what I've gathered from the forums, here's what we're looking at:

+10-12% (unarmed attack speed, as per Eladrin's comments on base speeds in Mod 9) +20%(Madstone [enh]) + 30%(FHB-IV [untyped]) + 5% (Windstance[insight]) = 165-167% speed, or ~149 Attacks per Minute

(I could use further confirmation of this, if a few people can testify to the attack rate /min)

----------------

DAMAGE:

(NOTE: for this section I’m going to give the lowest possible and highest, both in three different kinds of circumstances. Thus, in all cases, the lowest case STR is taken absolutely un-buffed and in the latter entirely buffed. The first circumstance is against portals, being, unless I am mistaken, the most difficult DPS opponent. The Second is hate tanking a harry type (75% fort, no SA, with tricky DR, and no elemental damage). The last is a mob or easy type enemy (the kind commonly used to demonstrate DPS in builds: 0% fort, SA-able, elemental damage, little to no DR). All of this is in order to come to more averaged numbers and a more honest representation of the build, meaning the values here have room for improvement. It is entirely possible for the damage/per-hit numbers to be higher, and, at times, that will certainly be the case.)

1) Assuming a situational enemy akin to a portal (tricky DR, 100% Fortification, and thus anti-SA/anti-critable, with total elemental reistance):

Using +3 Holy of Greater _ Bane, Shintao Set Bonus, FB Set Bonus, Mentau Goggles + Litany
    ---
    7 (2d6 Fist) +7 (Fighter*) +8 (WF PA III) +1 (Pastlife) +1 (Litany) +2 (Shintao) +2 (FB) +2d6 (Holyburst Ring) +3 (Wraps) +2d6 (Holy) + 3d6 (GCB) +4 (GCB) +1 (Force Ritual) +8 or +4 (Mountain Ki Strike) +9 Bard +13-24 (Strength Mod) =

Between ~86-101/per-hit
    ---

1) Assuming a situational enemy akin to tanking Harry (tricky DR, 75% Fortification, and thus anti-SA, with almost total elemental resistance):

Using +2 Metalline of G_B, Shintao Set Bonus, FB Set Bonus, Mentau Goggles + Litany

7 (2d6 Fist) +7 (Fighter*) +8 (WF PA III) +1 (Pastlife) +1 (Litany) +2 (Shintao) +2 (FB) +2d6 (Holyburst Ring) +1d6 (Shockingburst Ring) +2 (Wraps) +3d6 (G_B) +4 (G_B) +1 (Force Ritual) +8 or 2d6 (Ki Strike [Mount. or Storm]) +9 Bardsong +13-24 (Strength Mod)=

Between ~85-98/per-hit
    ---

2) Assuming good circumstances, or average mob:

Using +3 Holy of G_B, Shintao Set Bonus, FB Set Bonus, Tharnes, Bloodstone (possibly Mentau, Litany, Wretched... depending)

7 (2d6 Fist) +7 (Fighter*) +8 (WF PA III) +1 (Pastlife) +2 (Shintao) +2 (FB) +2d6 (Holyburst Ring) +1d6 (Shockingburst Ring) +3 (Wraps) +2d6 (Holy) +3d6 (GB) +4 (G_B) +1 (Force Ritual) +8 or 2d6 (Ki Strike [Mount. or Storm]) +8 SA +9 Bardsong +13-24 (Strength Mod)=

Between ~101-112 /per-hit

*Fighter = +4 dam. ([feats:]Specialization + Greater Spec.), +1 dam. ([Ehn:] Unarmed Spec. I), + 2 ([Ehn:] Kensai Unarmed Mastery II) = 7 Per hit. Interestingly, this comes one number off of the full Frenzied Berserker addition to damage (+8) due to strength increases.

----------------

Has:
    - Advantages of Handwraps (+10-12% Base Rate of Attack, full bonuses to both hands, double hit of ki strikes and tactics, ToD damage rings) combined with a 2d6 base damage per fist! (That's like holding 2 epic xuums — one in each hand (without, well, the critical)!) combined with the fastest attack rate currently possible.
    - Incredibly strong tactics line, able to stun most everything stunnable
    - Ability to switch between high DPS mode, AC mode (with some gear/stance shifting, for when it would be desirable), and decent Turtling (Docent of Defiance and Earth Stance swap)
    - Full (or almost full, depending upon enhancements) healing from both divine and arcane casters
    - Huge to-hit
    - Uses Bludgeoning, which has benefits from stunning to monster DR bypass
    - Decent AC when applicable
    - Tank Level HP and Saves
    - Evasion
    - 2 ranks of monk fast movement
    - Possibility to build for UMD
    - Innate DR bypass up to magic
    - Due to constitution, a capped monk comparable concentration for Ki storage
    - Fists of Light for perpetual self/party, as well as Wholeness of Body
    - Healed by both arcane and divine, with 94% positive healing
    - Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, level drain
    - Ability to swap between circumstantial DPS and mob DPS with the change of 4 items
    - NOT A CIRCUMSTANTIAL DPSer! Loves the agro, loves tricky bosses, loves stunning mobs
    - 7 or 8 Action Boosts depending on enhancement layouts, allowing for about two and a half minutes of pwnage per shrine
    - 17 feats, and the ability to forgo the 4 toughness feats for… whatever.
    - Ability to, in raids, hate-aggro bosses while keeping up finishers on the party (it’s a pretty astounding scene to be keeping the casters in a 25% spell point discount while they spent those points keeping you fully healed while tanking… everyone is happy!)

Please feel free to alert me to any discrepancies, inflations, issues, complaints, or pure unadulterated fondnesses for the build. It is, as always, a work in progress and subject to changes based on miscalculations (hopefully they are few) or future updates. I would be more than more than pleased to have whatever feedback is possible.

----------------

Three Great DT Docents for use with the Godhand Hate-Tank:

AC Docent: (use in conjunction with Chaosguard Bracers)
    o +5 Resistance (Eld. Rune)
    o Healing Amplification 20% (Temp. Rune)
    o Heightened Awareness 4 (Sov. Rune)

Generic Tanking Docent:
    o Resistance +5/Healing Amp 10% (Eld. Rune)
    o Crushing Wave Guard/Corrosive Salt Guard/Incite 15% (Temp. Rune)
    o Disintigration Guard (Sov. Rune)

Elite Tanking Docent: (use in conjunction with Levik's Bracers)
    o Incite 10%
    o Incite 15%
    o Levik's Defender

----------------

Excellent Variations on a Monkish Theme (worth looking into as related builds, all quite solid):

Rockan Robin (Halfling 20 Monk)
    Caelana (Halfling 18 Monk/1 Fighter/1 Rogue)
    Rockan the Boat (Halfling 12 Fighter/8 Monk)
    The Hammer (WF Fighter 12/Monk 6/Rogue 2)
    The Beotch Slapper (Human 12 Fighter/7 Monk/1Rogue)
    The Monkster (Warforged 12 Fighter/7 Monk/1Rogue)
    Last edited by sinedist; 03-20-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Sinedist, I LOVE this build and I would recommend it any day of the week. You did a really nice write-up and I appreciate that.

I would probably devote more AP to stunning enhancements because I think that is one of your great strengths here, especially once weighted is applying properly to handwraps.

The other thing I would mention is that with the AC you are looking at, it might be more practical to use a second bursting ring most of the time in lieu of the chattering ring. I'm guessing that you have insight 4 on your armor and +3 dodge on your ring? A lot of your focus is currently on DPS and this would help even more considering your swing speed.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

this is impressive, and maybe the only non-splash monk multi i've ever seen that is actually effective- there are so many pitfalls out there but you've managed to dodge them all.
    Rule one: never act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling old man. ~ Terry Pratchett

Wow nice build! I have a question about level progression....is it optimal to go 8 monk then 12 fighter? Or front load more Fighter levels for earlier access to Kensai? And did you name the build after the Berserk manga?
    Last edited by yynderjohn; 02-03-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Redicular, mate, thanks for the kind comments.

Anthios, a number of your builds were my go-to for looking into how to write this baby up... So, thank you!

In regard to your comments, AP on this build are surprisingly more flexible than I had initially thought they would be. As a result, there is definitely room to plug more points into tactics, which I too suggest doing. I mean... jayzus... it's the constant access to stunning blow at such a a high DC that makes this such a great DPS toon for mobs when you aren't hate-tanking.

Basically, for the purposes of the build write-up I just wanted to allow individuals to allocate points wherever they felt the build was lacking during level progression... so I didn't plug them all in on the build.

Regarding AC, I would actually suggest setting up, by means of hotbars, 3 distinct modes: (i) one for offensive hate-tanking/highest-DPS, (ii) one for an acceptable AC with a high emphasis on DPS, and (iii) one for high AC. That all three of these modes are possible by means of a few equipment changes is a major build appeal for me.

For the first two modes you are absolutely right -- shocking burst is an important damage addition. It's only in the AC mode that chattering, as well as the chaosguards, suit the situation better than the 1d6 a shocking burst ring and healing amp bracers do. This is keeping in mind, of course, that going for an optimal AC is going to cost you some DPS... so it's best to use the AC mode selectively. You still come out with a pretty respectable AC while in the second mode anyway, and the shockingburst is definitely present there.

yynderjohn, thank you! The level progression question is interesting. I like Thanimal's "The Hammer" progression (see the build links below) as an alternate kind of guide, but there are several benefits for chasing the 8 monk levels first when rolling a WF. Aside from, at level 8, having your highest base damage already locked in and doing some great damage, you gain a considerable amount of survivability while you crank out the next 12 fighter levels already having the monk benefits behind you.

You will, by going 8 monk first, not only have your monk improved recovery II for divine healing, wholeness of body, and fists of light done and done and done, but you will also get to utilize a monkish AC and saves and evasion from level 8 onward -- where they seem to matter most. This makes leveling quite simple. It's also nice to have those light-path buffs keeping your casters in a good mood, happy to take care of you taking care of them. It makes it easier for a stubborn cleric to heal you when s/he sees higher healing numbers and the "aligning" buff.

There are drawbacks, of course (stunning blow DCs are lower at level 10 than they could be, for example), but it seemed that getting the survivability that the monk class brings as early as possible makes up for the amount of awful PuGs that saturate the lower levels.

Any alternate suggestions are welcome, of course. Thank you all for the feedback thus far!
    Last edited by sinedist; 02-04-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Edit: I added the link to Thanimal's "The Hammer" in the bottom section of the build.

Edit: fixed some corrections regarding numbers.

Community Member

Just curious, how does that damage compair to a tr pure monk? Looks nice i may have to try this, have a pure wf and love it so ill probably try this.

Community Member

cool
    "fanboi qualifies as name-calling"~Tarrant

Default TR Monk vs. The Godhand

Mumu, I'm glad you asked. ^_^

It's a really interesting breakdown.

Because the Godhand excels in the kind of end-game situations that ruin the DPS of other characters (namely, 50-100% fort. enemies and/or epic content to-hit), I'm going to assume a dex- or wis- based monk (I'll take Anthios' Rockan Robin build (see links above) as an example of the TR'd pure monk) that attains a solid enough of a to-hit/DPS to actually make a difference in raids and epic.

For the TR monk numbers, I'm going to take Halfling as a race (since it gives you the highest damage bonus available for a race via guile), assume 18 con for IV mountain strikes, and be a little bit generous with the strength bonus... Meaning most monks will be doing less damage per hit than the TR monk I will use for comparison, but it helps to illustrate the numbers.

In terms of a practical end-game comparison, the same gear can be obtained, the only damage differences coming from various build traits.

So:

TR Monk:
    13 (2d12 Fist) +8 (SA, Guile) +16 (Ki strike) +8-15 (STR)= 45-52 @ 132 Attacks per Minute
    vs.
    Godhand:
    7 (2d6 Fist) +7 Fighter +3 (WF PA) +8 Ki +13-24 (STR) = 38-49 @ 149 Attacks per Minute

In the best case of scenarios then, where the TR Monk does >6864 build damage per minute, the Godhand does >7301. (Please keep in mind that both of these numbers are based off of build differences, and thus are not including criticals, buffs, or gear that either build will have access to.)

More importantly, however, is the fact that the TR monk's DPS is circumstantial. The second that this TR monk gets aggro, its damage per hit shoots down to 37-44 per hit.

Somewhat importantly is the monk's criticals. While they are, indeed, comparatively quite weak, the RoA that a monk has means that the monk is getting more critical damage than people like to admit. The Godhand can hit 25% faster while boosted, and with the Kensai II line, it crits more often and for more damage when it does than the TR monk.

On top of this is the issue of to-hit, namely for hard-epic circumstances. The Godhand's to-hit is irrelevant to aggro, whereas the TR monk's is not. The Godhand's to-hit is going to be significantly higher than the TR monk, because it has maxed out on STR (where most balanced monks cannot/do not max any stat, especially the to-hit or damage stats) and the Godhand has the to-hit bonuses from the Kensai II line.

So what does this mean? Monks excel at damaging 50-100% fort. enemies, and the Godhand is a build built around doing precisely that -- and doing it better than its counterparts. Factors like to-hit, aggro, and fort. all deeply affect the DPS of a pure monk, as well as many many other builds; for the Godhand, however, such factors are practically and practicably irrelevant to its DPS. As a result, a monk will often be brought into an end-game party as a support character that supplants the party's DPS; whereas the Godhand can be brought into a party as primary melee.

Where the TR monk is played similarly to a rogue end-game, the Godhand is played more like a fighter that can out DPS the rogue (which is often not the case)...

The Godhand is like a fighter who punches Horoth in the face to get and keep his attention... who punches really really quickly and with 58 Strength backed metal fists... Until there is no longer a face.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by sinedist; 02-08-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Community Member

Yeah i have a wf str monk so ill do more damage than a wis/dex. But y does agro affect monks?

Aggro typically doesn't affect monks as a class, it effects halflings with sneak attack -- which tends to be one of the primary go-tos when rolling a monk. There are other classes that gel well with monks, but it wouldn't have been a very fruitful comparison to go with a different race. No race also gets the highest bonus to damage as halflings do, so by using them the numbers weren't as one sided as they could have been.

It's probably important to mention that there are reasons as to why "unbalancing strike" is a loved strike for halfling monks, and aggro is one of those reasons.

Community Member

Yeah, i lioe the halflings but i thought ild try a str build, my bases were 16/16/16/8/12/8, which, i no wis is low but im not conserned about wis based dc since im taking stunning blow, and with every thing at 16 i can easily
    get earth wind and fire tier fours. Im seriously considering taking my remaining levels as fighter cause this build is nice, but my stats are a little off for the build. I have a general monk question. Which is faster a
    wind stance pure monk or a tempist ranger?

Mumu,

Your current monk would be a prime candidate for finishing off with Kensai II. Given that it is very easy to be healed by both arcane and divine casters, you would get by just fine with your HP. Just make sure you keep plugging strength.

In regard to attack speeds...

Monkey_Archer's Attack Speed Index is an excellent start to determining these kinds of things.

Attack speed is always something of a problematic, but as of the changes to unarmed in mod 9 unarmed will come out on top of most everything now since it has -- as a weapon choice -- a 10-12% (per Eladrin) base increase. Tempest only grants 10%, and you can't be unarmed.

To be short about it, unarmed will be faster.

There was a period where you started seeing a lot of tempest monks walking around with kamas... but as of mod 9 and the increase to fist base damage that has changed.

I tried, in this build, to aim for the fastest attack speed possible (5% Windstance, 30% Haste Boost IV, and 10-12% unarmed is unmatchable), and I believe I have succeeded. Even better, this build has a very solid damage per hit number while attacking faster than any other build in the game.

Even when not using haste boosts the Godhand does only 5% less than a pure monk -- but with boosts it can reach 25% faster.

Community Member

Much of this makes no sense to me at all..

Weapon Focus (I assume Bludg), Weapon Specialization (also bludge), GWS (greater ws): Bludgeoning (I assume all these pertain to Bludgeoning)
    IC (Improved Critical): Bludgeoning
    Past Life (How?)

I rolled one monk that, at lvl 3 could pick a base and a class feat. The class feats available weren't listed here and the ones listed here all have a base attack prerequisite. I thought maybe I missed some enhancements that would give me the required base but nope. In another post, you mentioned you like The Hammer lvl progression but how can anyone follow that when it's got rogue mixed in?

All this is to say, can you clean up your build with the lvl feat progression?
    Last edited by MeiLiGrace; 02-08-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Community Member

Yeah im thinking i might. I took two toughnesses so im not worried about the hp. Its only lvl 61/2 (rolled it friday) so ive got a little time to think about it. Is your stunning blow and trip affective at endgame?

Community Member

I have another question, i havnt gotten a character to end game only to mid lvls so im not sure how the monk performs compared to other dps classes, but how does this build perform?

Quote Originally Posted by MeiLiGrace View Post
    Much of this makes no sense to me at all..

Weapon Focus (I assume Bludg), Weapon Specialization (also bludge), GWS (greater ws): Bludgeoning (I assume all these pertain to Bludgeoning)
    IC (Improved Critical): Bludgeoning
    Past Life (How?)

I rolled one monk that, at lvl 3 could pick a base and a class feat. The class feats available weren't listed here and the ones listed here all have a base attack prerequisite. I thought maybe I missed some enhancements that would give me the required base but nope. In another post, you mentioned you like The Hammer lvl progression but how can anyone follow that when it's got rogue mixed in?

All this is to say, can you clean up your build with the lvl feat progression?
    MeiLi, I'm not sure what to tell you, mate. Maybe this build isn't for you?

If you look in the compendium you should find all of the answers you are looking for in regard to what feat are and do what. I can add an ordered feat list if people are worried about lacking common sense in progressing.

In regard to the hammer comment, I wish I knew how to respond. Best of luck?
    Last edited by sinedist; 02-08-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumu720 View Post
    Yeah im thinking i might. I took two toughnesses so im not worried about the hp. Its only lvl 61/2 (rolled it friday) so ive got a little time to think about it. Is your stunning blow and trip affective at endgame?
    Stunning blow is wonderfully effective. Among the best, given all of the tactics that come with WF and Fighter and the high DC due to max strength. Trip comes and it goes. I'm playing around with the idea right now of shooting for improved trip and CE, but as it stands, stunning is solid at a minimum DC of 40. Once weighted applies to handwraps that number will be 50... which is more than enough to be stunning enemies in Amrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumu720 View Post
    I have another question, i havnt gotten a character to end game only to mid lvls so im not sure how the monk performs compared to other dps classes, but how does this build perform?
    DPS is always a matter of circumstance, so I can't really give you a giant chart of every build in every situation.

Generally, the Godhand does great damage.
    When faced with fortification enemies, in raids on hard and elite, or in epic -- which is to say when facing circumstances and enemies that really bring down the DPS numbers and survivability -- this build does top notch damage.

To get a general idea you can check out:

DPS Calculator

Monkey_Archer's Top DPS Shroud numbers

And there are older, but still helpful, DPS Calculations (make sure to note recent changes, which have been substantial): Older, but still helpful, DPS Calculations (make sure to note recent changes, which have been substantial).

Note the importance of fortification in altering the damage and effectiveness of many of the 500+ DPS builds.
    Last edited by sinedist; 02-09-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinedist View Post
    MeiLi, I'm not sure what to tell you, mate. Maybe this build isn't for you?

If you look in the compendium you should find all of the answers you are looking for in regard to what feat are and do what. I can add an ordered feat list if people are worried about lacking common sense in progressing.

In regard to the hammer comment, I wish I knew how to respond. Best of luck?
    Maybe not but should I exclude it from my options because I don't know all your acronyms? I'm no ****** and, believe it or not, you were new once too.

I know what the feats are. What I don't know is how at lvl 3 you're able to pick some of them when the base dam is too low.

You could respond with an answer instead of a virtual roll of the eyes and a smirk to your buddies. Thanks for the 'tude mate.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast