Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation VOD Elite the fire bats kill. How to save party members?

I ran in an elite run for VOD, and we had a really good group. The intima-tank did a solid job. But, when the fire bats come, everyone starts popping and the situation gets ugly if no one can remove curses from the tank. The final boss is a CR 38 and we had him down to 5%, and it was an amazing battle. I'm just wondering, since the bats are immune to mind affecting spells, is there anything besides webbing up the place that can help reduce the bats killing off massive numbers of party members? I should mention, I am using a Sorc (crowd control spec).

use bladebarrier and symbol of death
    also spam prot from fire mass on the melees
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

IMO: best way is to get 2-3 rangers w/ Many shot.
    Symbol of Stunning may work since you're a sorc
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

Cloudkill, Acid Cloud, Incinerating Cloud, Fog Cloud.... couple that with Web and you will be just fine.

Cloudkill + heightened web has always worked well for me.

Also, try using a WF main tank with an arcane dedicated to repairing them. They can be repaired through the curse so you don't have to worry about removing it.

As I said in a similiar thread the safest and surest way to kill the bats is for everybody except for the main tank and primary healer to break off from sulu when they spawn and work on killing them. That means melee, casters, clerics, ranged whatever is in the group. Then when the bats are killed go back on Sulu if Sulu is not dead by the time the second bat wave comes repeat the same procedure. There are two waves of about 10 bats each and then you are done. If the main tank should happen to die during the waves do not engage sulu but instead concentrate on killing the bats and avoid sulu until all the bats are dead....
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Break enchantment can remove the curse as well. Its AOE. If you Cycle Mass Protect, Break Enchantment, then Mass cures, you should be able to get through it.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

A variety of tactics can work well.

1) crowd control (people have mentioned this above)

web + symbols or cloud kills work really really well if you have a caster with high DCs (this typically only fails if the caster has low DCs, if the crowd control is put up too late, or if the crowd control is not refreshed if put up too early).

2) spam heals and mass protect

even with no crowd control, aggressively spammed healing mixed with mass protection can survive the bats. This typically fails if: 1) healers, buffers run out of mana; 2) the healer dies; or 3) too many melee have low hps (if the latter, than probably shouldn't be running this on elite). With crowd control, this works very well.

3) break up and kill the bats

When the bats spawn, the melees spread out and kill them (preferably ranging them) (whoever has boss agro stays with the boss). Several melee may die, but it should avoid a wipe.
    INFERUS SUS Sorcs (Socky, Sockie, Socklin), Rogues (Sockpuppet, Sockum), Clerics (Sockington, Sockase), FVS (Sockle), Intim (Tubesocks), Bards (Sockdolenger, Sockish), Rangers (Sockin, Sockel), Wizzy (Sockut), Kensai (Sockt), Monk (Sockfist), Arty (Sockficer, Sockcraft)

Dodge the bats, this normally works well;
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left right, b,a,
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Community Member Superspeed_Hi5's Avatar

Maximized/Empowered Horrid Wilting should kill them in 1-2 uses.

Quote Originally Posted by elraido View Post
    you forgot START...or was it SELECT?
    Grassi Grassii Neuk Trademarks Pantala

Freedom is an empty cup from which everyone wants to drink

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    use bladebarrier and symbol of death
    also spam prot from fire mass on the melees
    Do not spam prot mass this will lag out the fight and prevent a ton of heals from passing through.

Firstly your Tank should be getting his own curses during that last 5% since the clerics should be focusing on mass healing the party. For survivability they need to stand away from the party and away from eachother but targeting the party for mass heals... Just keep spamming them away... it's really easy. We used to run it all the time on Elite when 16 was the cap. Should be a no-brainer now.

PS - I miss Plague.

Val

CIRCLE OF NIGHT is Recruiting!
    Guild Leader:
    Valhelm / Valgrand

The tactics posted here are very reliable methods of doing it, but I thought I would just add one other option:

Have a survivable caster (probably warforged) with fireshield: cold stand across the room and coat the place with acid fogs. He'll draw the bats' aggro away from the party while the rest of you can finish them. He can run around and keep himself up.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by elraido View Post
    you forgot another b, a, and START

pfft, dont listen to Rock. She's never raided before...

Default Wail of the Banshee

Does this no longer work?? Sleet Storm & all the other coments that I have read.

I guess everyone has their own tactics. I always gather everyone on his tail and just spam mass heals. If you run you die unless you are a self healer. Had too many times in the past when a party member gets iffy and decides to run away from the group, dragging your mass heals with him. As a cleric I always just throw a BB, implosion, then start spamming mass heals targeted on myself on his tail. Let your casters stand with you, facing away throwing a few cones of cold, rangers many shotting, etc. If everyone sticks together no problem. Also, it should be a no brainer, but make sure everyone has some curse pots. Had a few runs where he turns before the bats pop, and 3-5 people get cursed at exactly the wrong time. There's too much damage being thrown to specifically target people, rem curse, then hoping they dont run away. If it happens, just let them die. The party as a whole needs to make it, not each individual. And I don't spam mass prot either. Any decent cleric will have a cure light go off for around 150+, 400 on crit, so if they cycle light, mod, serious, theres no reason anyone should die.
    There is no lag. Just because you had none before and can't play now doesn't mean the server move had anything to do with it.

This is posted in The marketplace forums because?
    Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown Sowyn

Crowd control is a very valid tactic for normal, and hard with a top-DC caster..

But elite, the bats get an incredible boost to there saves and SR.. Making them extremely tough to take down on a caster, no matter how you spin it. Only the best of the best caster on khyber can really pull that off effectively. To give you a numbers idea at 40 CHA with heigten, my sorcs web works maybe 10% of the time on elite.. There SR rivels that of the boss, at around 36, so symbol of death/stun/anything - ain't gonna work without some insane spell pen score.

So really the best solution is the one Norg posted.. Kill them, have everyone kill them (cept tank/healer ofcourse).

1-2 very skill THF melee can take them down very fast, or any 1-2 rangers with manyshot going. But it's much faster and safer to have everyone work on it.

As there's really not allot of the bats. IIRC it's 2 waves of 6-10 bats each wave, and thats it, no respawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweyn View Post
    This is posted in The marketplace forums because?
    Because the quest is in the marketplace...duh!
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast