Community Member

Default Monk: Warforge or Halfling

Both races has their advantages:
    WF: +2 Armor, Immunities (Hold person & Level drain) and Waterbreathing
    Half: +1AC, ATK, Saves.

The problem becomes Stats and where to put them...
    32 Pt Builds:
    WF: (Option 1)
    Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 15
    Int 8
    Wis 15
    Cha 6
    Is this sacrificing too much Dex and Wis for Con?

WF: (Option 2)
    Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 8
    Wis 16
    Cha 6
    Is the +1 Wis worth the change in Con (from Option 1)?

WF: (Option 3)
    Str 16
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 8
    Wis 12
    Cha 6
    Found in the forms, wanted opinions.

Half:
    Str 13 (opens up Power Attack Feat, if not then Str 12)
    Dex 17
    Con 11 (If Str 12, Then Con 13)
    Int 8
    Wis 17
    Cha 8

Which is the best option? End game, Half will have far better AC due to Racial and Class bonuses but WF should have more hitpoints. Are Dex monks the best option and not Str or Con monks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudrad View Post
    Both races has their advantages:
    WF: +2 Armor, Immunities (Hold person & Level drain) and Waterbreathing
    Half: +1AC, ATK, Saves. DON'T DISCOUNT HALFLING GUILE EVER!

The problem becomes Stats and where to put them...
    32 Pt Builds:
    WF: (Option 1)
    Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 15
    Int 8
    Wis 15
    Cha 6
    Is this sacrificing too much Dex and Wis for Con?

WF: (Option 2)
    Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 8
    Wis 16
    Cha 6
    Is the +1 Wis worth the change in Con (from Option 1)?

WF: (Option 3)
    Str 16
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 8
    Wis 12
    Cha 6
    Found in the forms, wanted opinions.

Half:
    Str 13 (opens up Power Attack Feat, if not then Str 12)
    Dex 17
    Con 11 (If Str 12, Then Con 13)
    Int 8
    Wis 17
    Cha 8

Which is the best option? End game, Half will have far better AC due to Racial and Class bonuses but WF should have more hitpoints. Are Dex monks the best option and not Str or Con monks?
    You better go with WF since you've put more thought into it than Halflings.

I am, Rameses!
    Argonnessen's only Halfling Paragon.
    Ascent

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sudrad View Post
    Which is the best option? End game, Half will have far better AC due to Racial and Class bonuses but WF should have more hitpoints.
    Actually, their AC ends up pretty equivalent (if built/geared similarly), particularly since the WF can use the 10-minute-long Shield spell from the Titanic Docent.

Dont under estimate humans for monks as well...

WF = Neg level immunites and increase DPS from strength and WF AP's

Halflings = AC and Sneak Damage DPS

Humans = versatility, adpatability and healing amp

If you are trying to make a DPS/Tank build, dont make a monk, you will be out tanked by other players with solid DPS tank builds.

As far as your question halflings and WF... either would be a good choice, but would only recomend WF to experienced players.

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Actually, their AC ends up pretty equivalent (if built/geared similarly), particularly since the WF can use the 10-minute-long Shield spell from the Titanic Docent.
    So can my human monk... but I use 10th level shield wands...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mobeius View Post
    So can my human monk... but I use 10th level shield wands...
    Good choice, +5 UMD boost on a class without UMD as a class skill is very significant. Have you actually gotten to UMD 38? Or close enough? Are you able to keep a pretty good supply of 10th level Shield wands?
    Last edited by rimble; 11-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Good choice, +5 UMD boost on a class without UMD as a class skill is very significant. Have you actually gotten to UMD 38? Or close enough? Are you able to keep a pretty good supply of 10th level Shield wands?
    I can hit about 75% UMD on the wands right now with Human Versatility 2, I am fixing to dump cleave for Skill focus UMD and still looking for a charisma ring out of TOD as well as my normal ring.

UMD = +9
    7 fingered gloves = +5
    20 Charisma = +5 (+6 stat item, with exceptional cha that would be +1)
    Head of Good Fortune = +2
    Walk the Sun = +2
    Greater Heroism = +4
    Human Versatility = +2 to +5 (I have +3)
    Skill Focus UMD = +3
    GS item +3 to charisma based checks

For that would equal to UMD check of 36 (Eventually)

I find sheild wands on the AH for decent prices time to time, I dont use the sheild wand all the time, just for the quests that force missles are prevalent.

Community Member

I played a Halfling monk up to level 7 but only a 28 point build. I was remaking it as a 32 and couldn't decide on which race to choose.

The difference between the Halflings sneak and the WF AP, which is more powerful?

Which WF option is the better one?

Does the WF "Healer's Friend" enchantment and the Monk "Improved recovery" enchantment stack?
    Last edited by Sudrad; 11-02-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Community Member

/bump

Trying to get some more activity here.

aye the healing enhancements stack.

halflings can get higher base ac without grinding, but you're almost hedged into a dex based build due to the lower strength. (not necessarily a bad thing)

Warforged...I've never liked this choice for a monk even if it is decent because the monk immunites and the warforged immunities dont stack, they get less benefit from fist of light path, they do free up a bracers slot by way of their docent but fleshies can get +8 bracers whereas wf can only get +5 (+2) docents.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Community Member

For that would equal to UMD check of 36 (Eventually)

I find sheild wands on the AH for decent prices time to time, I dont use the sheild wand all the time, just for the quests that force missles are prevalent.
    I think you've inspired me to go for UMD upon Reincarnation. Was planning on Conc, MS, Hide, and Spot...but yeah...UMD, that'd be delicious...I'd even take a 50/50 on these things, and that's not hard at all to get to.

...off to start Reincarnation planning...

Ok, it works out something like this for an 8 Cha Halfling fellow like me:

Cha 8 (+2 Tome, +6 Item = 16)

Ideal Skill (for activating items, not qualifying for constant UMD 20+, that's not really my concern)
    11 UMD
    3 Cha
    4 Greater Heroism
    2 Walk of the Sun
    5 Seven Fingered Gloves
    2 Head of Good Fortune
    6 Shroud Exc Skills
    ----

Probably better off with just +3 Exc Cha Skills though as you mentioned, either on Shroud item or DT armor, unless you have piles of Shroud ingredients burning a hole in your backpack to go for the full +6. So looking at a 30, actually at 60% on those wands, not too bad to do when necessary. Also, it makes it less painful to change from Lawful Good to Lawful Neutral, I was sad about losing my Raise Dead ring, but now I could use Raise Dead scrolls, and not suffer a penalty from Litany, if I can ever get it. Probably make a Tier 2 +3 Cha Skills and Raise Dead item to have at least one mid-combat Raise clicky still.

Of course Bard makes it go up, Alchemical House D Potions if you want, get a junk Mod 9 ring with +2 Exc Cha, eventual +4 Tome, and so on.

I'm goin' for it!
    Last edited by rimble; 11-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Almost all my toons are UMD junkies... LOL hence why all of them start out with a charisma of 12 or better, cept one, my rogue started an 8, but he has UMD as a class skill. I can hit a 33 UMD currently with Skills Boost 3 on my monk, which actually allows me a 30% chance to UMD greater Teleport, but only when neccessary, I do have a royal mask for other places.

Hmm... don't know WF at all, do they get strength enhancements? I would guess so based on your ST 12 builds. I have 2 halfling monks, my first was a dex wis build and I mistakenly put points into int (11) for combat expertise...oops! I have second one that is lvl 13 what I call a strength balanced build starting with planned level ups and enhancements at 20 in ()
    15 (1level, 2tome, 6item)=24
    15 (2e,3L,6i,2t)=28
    14 (6i,2t)=22
    15 (3e, 2t, 6i)=26

my only concern here is that I don't have a way to get 18 base con without a +4 tome... so I can't get the earth strike4... maybe not such a big dealeo...
    I am also fiddling with another build on paper right now with:

gonna fiddle around with the planner to get 18 base in St, Dx, Con, and Wis. But ultimately I will take GM in air and earth, adept in water and disciple in fire. But that is really just a matter of enhancement respec to try out other combinations of strikes and stances...

Almost all my toons are UMD junkies... LOL hence why all of them start out with a charisma of 12 or better, cept one, my rogue started an 8, but he has UMD as a class skill. I can hit a 33 UMD currently with Skills Boost 3 on my monk, which actually allows me a 30% chance to UMD greater Teleport, but only when neccessary, I do have a royal mask for other places.
    Wow, I cannot see how, at higher levels that sacrifice is worth it, regardless of what scroll or RR weapon/item you can use, I suppose you must make drow monks...

Warforged get a big boost if you're trying to make a hate tank, of course. And the monk class is geared to be a great hate tank... I just can't understand why earth stance doesn't increase hate generation.