Question Chaosgarde question

Regarding the following effect: "+2 Deflection Bonus to AC and +2 Resistance Bonus to saves from Chaotic enemies"

If I understand correctly, neither the Deflection nor Resistance bonuses would be effective if you engaged non Chaotic creatures and the only benefit to wearing the bracers would be the +2 Dodge Bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by adm5893 View Post
    Regarding the following effect: "+2 Deflection Bonus to AC and +2 Resistance Bonus to saves from Chaotic enemies"

If I understand correctly, neither the Deflection nor Resistance bonuses would be effective if you engaged non Chaotic creatures and the only benefit to wearing the bracers would be the +2 Dodge Bonus?
    Pretty much the case. But 2 AC is 2 AC and that matters to the right builds.
    Sarlona - The Ko Brotherhood :Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8+4E; Hennako-Human Cleric22; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15; lots more

That is correct. The +2 dodge is what makes those bracers attractive. Lawful (I'm pretty sure) and Neutral far outweigh the Chaotic enemies in this game.

Related question, for those in the know: Do the chaotic enemy bonus' stack with your typical protection and resistance items. If not, that even further weakens their effectiveness. The way the description is worded, I'd assume not.

Quote Originally Posted by Club'in View Post
    That is correct. The +2 dodge is what makes those bracers attractive. Lawful (I'm pretty sure) and Neutral far outweigh the Chaotic enemies in this game.

Related question, for those in the know: Do the chaotic enemy bonus' stack with your typical protection and resistance items. If not, that even further weakens their effectiveness. The way the description is worded, I'd assume not.
    It certainly looks like they wouldn't (resistance and deflection bonuses don't stack with others of the same type, after all), but then - Protection from Evil is worded similarly, and I've heard it's somewhat of a special case. Maybe Protection from Chaos is as well?

Question Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    It certainly looks like they wouldn't (resistance and deflection bonuses don't stack with others of the same type, after all), but then - Protection from Evil is worded similarly, and I've heard it's somewhat of a special case. Maybe Protection from Chaos is as well?
    Maybe we can get a dev or someone who knows the answer to respond?

Default chaosguard and protection from evil stacking

One a peripheral subject, chaosgarde and protection from evil bonuses to saves do stack with other typical sources of resistance bonuses. But, the chaosgarde bonus to saves, does not stack with the protection from evil bonus to saves.

The saves bonuses from chaosguarde and protection from evil do not show on the character sheet, stats panel, in the saves boxes. Therefore, the actual 'type' of these saves bonuses is not known.

My testing for these saves bonuses was against troglydite casters (chaotic evil in alignment) in the Freshining the Air quest, in the Marketplace, if you would like to see for yourself.
    Last edited by STROBE; 10-23-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Ah ha! Most excellent information. Thank you, Strobe.

Quote Originally Posted by STROBE View Post
    One a peripheral subject, chaosgarde and protection from evil bonuses to saves do stack with other typical sources of resistance bonuses. But, the chaosgarde bonus to saves, does not stack with the protection from evil bonus to saves.

The saves bonuses from chaosguarde and protection from evil do not show on the character sheet, stats panel, in the saves boxes. Therefore, the actual 'type' of these saves bonuses is not known.

My testing for these saves bonuses was against troglydite casters (chaotic evil in alignment) in the Freshining the Air quest, in the Marketplace, if you would like to see for yourself.
    Good info, thanks. I always wondered about that but never bothered to test it; I always figured the main point of having those was the +2 Dodge Bonus. It's funny to me because these have been around for a long time, are ML9 and you still have level 20's wearing them!
    Sarlona

Default Chaos Guarde Bracers and effect on armor class AC

As pertains to armor class and these, I recently tested (I was the target) with someone of chaotic good alignment. Following are the results of her attack rolls not counting her plus-to-hit which was kept constant. Note that the results are in this order: highest roll to miss, (rolls resulting in grazing hits), lowest roll to hit:

CONTROL, no chaosguarde, protection from evil, or 'deflection bonus to armor class' - 8 (none) 9

addeded protection from evil item --- 8 (none) 9

(results as expected)

removed protection from evil item,

added chaos guarde bracers --- 9 (10,11,12) 13

(the 13 to hit was expected because chaos guarde is +2 dodge bonus and +2 'unknown type' bonus)

removed chaos guarde bracers

added shield of faith +3 --- 9 (10,11) 12

(the 12 to hit was expected becuase of the +3 deflection bonus to armor class)

added chaos guarde bracers to shield of faith +3 --- 9 (10,11,12,13) 14

(the change from 12 to 14 is probably the result of the dodge bonus on the chaos bracers)

Conclusion: The 'unknown type' +2 bonus to ac from chaosguarde does not appear to be stacking with deflection type bonuses from other sources.

Question: why did these increases to armor class always result in the grazing hits, rather than resulting in clean misses?

[quote=STROBE;2528879]As pertains to armor class and these, I recently tested (I was the target) with someone of chaotic good alignment. Following are the results of her attack rolls not counting her plus-to-hit which was kept constant. Note that the results are in this order: highest roll to miss, (rolls resulting in grazing hits), lowest roll to hit:

CONTROL, no chaosguarde, protection from evil, or 'deflection bonus to armor class' - 8 (none) 9

addeded protection from evil item --- 8 (none) 9

(results as expected)

removed protection from evil item,

added chaos guarde bracers --- 9 (10,11,12) 13

(the 13 to hit was expected because chaos guarde is +2 dodge bonus and +2 'unknown type' bonus)

removed chaos guarde bracers

added shield of faith +3 --- 9 (10,11) 12

(the 12 to hit was expected becuase of the +3 deflection bonus to armor class)

added chaos guarde bracers to shield of faith +3 --- 9 (10,11,12,13) 14

(the change from 12 to 14 is probably the result of the dodge bonus on the chaos bracers)

Conclusion: The 'unknown type' +2 bonus to ac from chaosguarde does not appear to be stacking with deflection type bonuses from other sources.

Question: why did these increases to armor class always result in the grazing hits, rather than resulting in clean misses?[/quote]

Because you tested against a player not an NPC and all players on normal which is what pvp is probably considered score a grazing hit on a natural 10 or higher.