Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Linking items to chat

Is there a way to link an item in your inventory to the chat window? I've tried everything I can think of from dragging and dropping, alt-click, crtl-click, shift-click... nothing seems to work. Would be very helpful for trading.

Far as I know there is no way of doing it in this game.

if it is freshly looted, you can copy the "you have looted" message and paste it, allowing you to "link it". Alternatively, there may be a way to use this to hand code items, but at the moment, the game doesn't have support for click-linking like you are asking for.
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

I know this is an option in WoW, and from seeing it there I am sooo glad it's not in DDO

Imagine general in harbour flooded with every nub showing off his muckbane or Kutik's bead.....

'Nuff said
    BLACK MANTIS - Sarlona
    A r n y a - T o r c h e - S l i m m - D e b t - E p o x y - R e t r o g r a d e - P i n e t r e e
    NOW YOU WILL KNOW TRUE POWER

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

No you cant and cant figure why you would want to.

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by JLonier View Post
    Is there a way to link an item in your inventory to the chat window? I've tried everything I can think of from dragging and dropping, alt-click, crtl-click, shift-click... nothing seems to work. Would be very helpful for trading.
    Well I do rememeber a bug in AoC where you could make some text look like a liked item and when you clicked it would remove you from your guild, and if you were a guild leader it would disband the whole guild. So yes I am glad there are no linkable things in chat here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Community Member

Like I said, I want to link stuff in trade chat making it easier for people to compare with what they've already got and see all the item stats without me explaining it. Not sure what the point of replying just to say you don't see why -I- want it when I've already explained it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    If someone puts something up in trade, I would like to look at what it does, particularly if it is not an item I am familiar with at all.

I think this is a very fun game, but there are little things like this (and that attitude amongst some players) that make me grind my teeth.

Another thing, along the same lines, is not being able to search at the auctioneer or in the shops for an item I need. For example, if I want an acid weapon, I have to scroll through every weapon to find it. If I could just select the category and use the search function for "acid" it would make my shopping efforts more satisfying and quicker.

But it seems to me that whenever anyone has a suggestion, there are a group of players who have the attitude of "well we don't do it that way here and you need to leave your newbness at the door."

And for crying out loud... more bag and bank space!! The lack of storage space in both LOTRO and DDO can only be compared to the orange juice shortage that only restaurants are aware of!

I can buy a gallon of OJ at the store for $3 or $4, but a 10oz glass of OJ at a restaurant is $2.50. Likewise, every other MMO (EQ, EQ2, SWG, DaoC, yes the evil WoW, Vanguard, etc.) does not have the stingy storage rules that Turbine seems to think is acceptable.

No Space, No Peace!

Ok, rant is over.
    Last edited by Dainen; 09-16-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Yes we can. You can link items and I can think of MANY reasons why someone would want to.

The only way I know how to link an item is by directly highlighting and copying the loot report showing the item of interest. I am not aware of any ability to link an item directly from your inventory unless you previously captured the item in the loot report.

You will need "Loot" turned on in a chat window so that it reports the loot being pulled from a chest. You then highlight the line with your cursor and press CTRL+C to copy it then CTRL+V to paste it into the appropriate window. A player can then view the item by clicking on the Item Name.

This is the raw form of what copying a loot table looks like although its much cleaner looking when posted in the ingame chat windows:

<Examine:IID:0x030F0000C878DF8E>Mysterious Bauble<\Examine> from the Chest.

If you know how to copy and paste a dmg report from the combat log it's not any different donig it with the Loot. I generally have the combat log set to display the loot pulled so it's a one stop shop when I need to review something without being inundated with spam.
    Last edited by Mindspat; 09-16-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    "Nuke 'm or Die!"

If the item is in the trade window you can examine it there before either player hits "accept".

Also try to remember that most of the vets in DDO play it precisely because it it is not WoW and resist changes that will make DDO more WoWish like an old man holding on to his rotary phone. Even if it may be a good idea.

Aerak the Bulwark-Awryn Shadowblade-Aerrik Lightbringer
    Member of D.W.A.T.

No, thankfully there is no feature like that here.

You are Chatting in Stormreach Harbor:

Drizztl11: luk I got [Muckbane]
    lolurfaceoff: lol, me too see?[Muckbane]
    Drizztl11: Awesome, do you have [tasty ham] for our [muckbane] party tonight?
    lolurfaceoff: yeh ur mom gave me [tasty ham] last night

ad nauseum, until our skulls caved in

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

And that's different from general chat how?

You don't have to click on the links, and if they added it just to the trade channel it would be a great boon for those interested in what those items were and what precisely they did.

Community Member

I second this. WoW or no, this is a **** good feature to have. Sometimes I have an extra item that I want to see if a guildie wants, but it's hard to do because we can't link items. Linking items makes things easy. LotR has it, no reason why this game shouldn't have it as well.

only way to show others your gear if bound is to get loot copy and save the code somewhere, then repost it later.

Heres a code for a ring from tod raid:
    <Examine:IID:0x030F0000D3C507B8>Kyosho's Ring<\Examine>

You can change the name, but I'd say you would only do it for a joke or your trying to rip someone off.

Wouldnt realy be that hard to put in, just most old ddo'ers have never realy demanded it, and have lived with it the way it is for so long.

Plus it was/is something that sets ddo apart, whats the point a wow copy or even a lotr copy? I leave those games an find something fresh and new like ddo.
    Last edited by Ganidel; 09-22-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Garrum, Spellcom, Xhak, Gand, Yodel
    Reaver's Refuge Crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganidel View Post
    only way to show others your gear if bound is to get loot copy and save the code somewhere, then repost it later.

Heres a code for a ring from tod raid:
    <Examine:IID:0x030F0000D3C507B8>Kyosho's Ring<\Examine>
    I'm pretty sure that doesn't work unless the item is in your possession or otherwise available for you to examine. As noted above, recently looted items can be clicked on to be examined from the [LOOT]: chat box - or if someone pastes the code, but you couldn't send that code to someone in the harbor and allow them to examine the item.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganidel View Post
    Wouldnt realy be that hard to put in, just most old ddo'ers have never realy demanded it, and have lived with it the way it is for so long.

Plus it was/is something that sets ddo apart, whats the point a wow copy or even a lotr copy? I leave those games an find something fresh and new like ddo.
    I understand how you feel, but there's nothing wrong with adding features from other games that improve the overall quality of life. It's my opinion that any MMO that allows for transfer of gear between players should have this feature. It's an improvement that should become standard. DDO will still be different from WoW even if this feature is added.

Though, I would like to have some way to view weapons and armor, too...but I guess that's asking for too much.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Mindspat View Post
    Yes we can. You can link items and I can think of MANY reasons why someone would want to.

The only way I know how to link an item is by directly highlighting and copying the loot report showing the item of interest. I am not aware of any ability to link an item directly from your inventory unless you previously captured the item in the loot report.

You will need "Loot" turned on in a chat window so that it reports the loot being pulled from a chest. You then highlight the line with your cursor and press CTRL+C to copy it then CTRL+V to paste it into the appropriate window. A player can then view the item by clicking on the Item Name.

This is the raw form of what copying a loot table looks like although its much cleaner looking when posted in the ingame chat windows:

<Examine:IID:0x030F0000C878DF8E>Mysterious Bauble<\Examine> from the Chest.

If you know how to copy and paste a dmg report from the combat log it's not any different donig it with the Loot. I generally have the combat log set to display the loot pulled so it's a one stop shop when I need to review something without being inundated with spam.

YOU dont need to be able to post an item shotin chat(photo) PERIOD
    Last edited by Uska; 09-23-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EDarkness View Post
    I understand how you feel, but there's nothing wrong with adding features from other games that improve the overall quality of life. It's my opinion that any MMO that allows for transfer of gear between players should have this feature. It's an improvement that should become standard. DDO will still be different from WoW even if this feature is added.

Though, I would like to have some way to view weapons and armor, too...but I guess that's asking for too much.
    Waste of dev time better spent on a billion other things.

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member Melkor_The_Mighty's Avatar

Default Take Lotro's item link system

Lotro has easy to use drag and item drop into chat window so others can click it to examine it. Not sure how great of a help that would be here since once you read what an item is here you know what it does and there are way fewer named items in this game as Lotro. Many there just link stuff to show off like how many times person X for example has looted the same Rift piece and is vendoring it when 99.99% of others havent even got I on 1 character. May help for the newer items especially for players who never read forums.

i dont by the "waste of dev time" excuse on this one. It would not take anytime to make a item link option. You can already click on the item if it is the loot report.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast