Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Big Brother Is Watching

Anyone else slightly disturbed by my.DDO.com?

Being able to look up any player and see exactly what they're wearing and what their stats are? Seems a bit stalker-ish to me

Quote Originally Posted by aramtruen View Post
    A round of applause for Sohryu, please.

Don't like it? Then, don't turn your players from anonymous. You can't hide it all.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Uh, not at all. This has been around since the days of UO.

Hell, most people don't bat an eyelash at the Yellow Gremlin AoC database, and the people who run that site aren't affiliated with Funcom.

Isn't there an option to set your profile to private? If not, there should be.

But in principle, nah doesn't bother me at all.
    Sarlona

Paranoid people seems to be everywhere. This SAME EXACT topic came up many times when my.lotro.com came online.
    **Heirs of Elhini** --Aundair server--Keldrick - Human Monk - lvl 4 | Nevrik Belladonna - Drow Ranger - lvl 2 / Bard - lvl 9
    Simkin Tavish - Elf Rogue - lvl 5 | Milamber - Human Sorcerer - lvl 7 | Amonaug Truehammer - Dwarf Paladin - lvl 5 | Andojar Shield - Warforged Fighter - lvl 5

Quote Originally Posted by AldaronTavish View Post
    Paranoid people seems to be everywhere.
    Didn't you hear? The conspiracy theorist and the NBO want to make us go insane.

Quote Originally Posted by AldaronTavish View Post
    Paranoid people seems to be everywhere. This SAME EXACT topic came up many times when my.lotro.com came online.
    Not paranoid, just don't see the need for it. I'd rather have more than 7 new quests than this. Besides it's no one's business how many HPs I have, what my saves are, what armor I'm wearing or what's in my belt slot.

the fact is you should not have to ask to hide on the site, or to have you toons removed from the site/ anonymous. you should have been asked to put said information onto an open viewing for people at their leisure.

ya it would ok to show what a toon is by lvl class and guild, but not every item said person has on, and character info.
    I would have a sig, but Someone might be offended by it so I will just list characters.
    Vicinity, Proximity, and far to many bank toons too list.
    -Sorry to any bank toons that are offended by me not listing mine-
    Ravensguard, Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by lifestaker View Post
    the fact is you should not have to ask to hide on the site, or to have you toons removed from the site/ anonymous. you should have been asked to put said information onto an open viewing for people at their leisure.

ya it would ok to show what a toon is by lvl class and guild, but not every item said person has on, and character info.
    Exactly. People should have been able to choose to participate, in other words, my.DDO starts out blank and if you want you can go there and upload all your character info. Just automatically putting up everyone's information without their consent kinda goes too far, IMO.
    Last edited by Sohryu; 09-08-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Why? Why should youre stuff be blank unless you decide to list it for peeps to see?
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Technically the info is Turbine's and can do what they want with it.

What's the big deal? Not like someone can track you to your home or anything. Some people just like to compare.

Even though I haven't checked out my.ddo.com yet there should be options to turn public viewing off. Things like that were added to my.lotro.com and I think it was on by default.

Suggest going to the lotro forums and search for similar subjects, trust me it was beat to death there.

In fact just signed in to my.ddo and this is what it says when I list my characters

"Character Visibility Current Sytem Default: Anonymous - This is subject to change. If a character does not have a radio button filled in, this value will be used."
    Last edited by AldaronTavish; 09-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    **Heirs of Elhini** --Aundair server--Keldrick - Human Monk - lvl 4 | Nevrik Belladonna - Drow Ranger - lvl 2 / Bard - lvl 9
    Simkin Tavish - Elf Rogue - lvl 5 | Milamber - Human Sorcerer - lvl 7 | Amonaug Truehammer - Dwarf Paladin - lvl 5 | Andojar Shield - Warforged Fighter - lvl 5

WOW.....

that is all.....

No its not all.....

You actually care about this???

Like Really.....

Really Really????

I suggest a long vacation and then a nap, after that maybe another vacation, cause I think you might need to lighten up a little bit.

If your life's work can be completed in your lifetime, you're thinking too small.
    ~~Wes Jackson~~

Community Member

When signing up for the forums, Turbine recommends that the user not use their in-game name for their forum name. While I disagree with in-game anonymity, I respect the desires of others to remain anonymous.

Turbine should have considered this before opting everything as public, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltire View Post
    WOW.....

that is all.....

No its not all.....

You actually care about this???

Like Really.....

Really Really????

I suggest a long vacation and then a nap, after that maybe another vacation, cause I think you might need to lighten up a little bit.
    Wow, last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion different from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Turbine should have considered this before opting everything as public, IMO.
    The default setting is anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohryu View Post
    Anyone else slightly disturbed by my.DDO.com?
    Is it any worse then my.yahoo.com?
    "Nuke 'm or Die!"

"Why...so...seriousss!", the Late Heath Ledger as the Joker StormLord Mascot

It's been pretty entertaining seeing how many Drizzts and Raistlins there are out there....
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
    Does not work, all my characters are still visible.

The only privacy setting I see other than this is something about being found on search engines.

I'd rather just have a box I can check to disable this feature altogether, to effectively "not exist" on my.ddo.com.

pretty cool
    Ghallanda Guild Keepers of the Asylum & Plague -[ Beowulfs 14 fighter/3 pal / 3rog Drow]

Some note from the my.lotro forums, please note the "Privacy Please" section

Things I wish everyone using my.lotro.com learns quickly before making more posts about these subjects...

• Coin Balances Visible: No one can see the coin balances on your characters except for you...when you are logged in.

• Avatar Upload Problems: The tool for uploading player profile avatars is currently a bit weird. Do not start out with images sized to final dimension. Start with big images or screen shots (500x500 pixels or larger seems to be working well), and use the in-place crop tool to make them the size you want.

• Anonymous Not Working: Setting your character to anonymous means that it is anonymous TOWARDS YOUR PLAYER ACCOUNT. Anonymous means the link between the player account and the character is invisible...NOT that the character will be removed from my.lotro.com. Everyone will still be able to look-up and see stats for any character, they just can't trace it back to your player account.

• Character Event Info: Character event timestamps will have options to be hidden in a future update. Per Marketroid: We're currently testing an update that will remove the character log display entirely for characters that are not associated with a public profile (ie. Anonymous). http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php...&postcount=101

• Privacy Please!: Multiple suggestions have already been made about having options for the display of character specifics. Please consider posting replies to one of those threads before creating a new thread on the subject. However, please remember that per Section 5 of the the End User License Agreement (EULA), Turbine has the right to display your character names and game data http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/218-eula .

• ___ Doesn't Show: If you are having problems seeing your player, kinship, or character accounts, it may be due to having a semi-colon in the profile text fields. A work-around is discussed here http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=236465

• Where is My Account/Character: Accounts or character that have had names changes may not be appearing in the system. This is a known issue. Additionally, there are problems with the system recognizing names that have a form of punctuation in the name (periods, etc.). Another known issue is the fact that the search field requires three characters, however, there are some two-character names out there.

• Main Character Designation: By default, your highest level character associated with your player account will show as your "main." To change this to a different character, log in, go to the character list on the side of your player account main page, and look for the little yellow button to the right of the character names. Clicking that button will make the associated character your default character.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast