Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Level sigils ?

Quote Originally Posted by Serverdown View Post
    Should change the name from DDO Unlimited to DDO Completely Limited. Not only do you charge for people to level, but you charge for old content, INCLUDING base release content. The concept of a "free to play" system is cool except for the fact that everything short of inviting someone to your group has a buy button next to it.
    You don't have to pay to level. Got a copper sigil (5-8) first quest, and he was level 4 when this was announced.
    Finding ones past, present, and future in the threads of destiny.

Community Member

Here is a recommedation for those people trying out the free to play, pay for just one month VIP and you will get 500 TP's for the trouble.

In addition, once you go back to free to play you will be a premium free to play. So 4 characters slots, less restrictions, etc.

Considering that a character slot is 595 TP's (or round about $9) x 2 = $18, paying for a $15 subscription for just one month is very good value.

Alternatively go through bargain bins at gaming stores and pick up the DDO box, it has been found for as cheap as $1 (but probably paying around $10-$20). That will give you a VIP subscription for 1 month.

And in that VIP one month, you will have access to all the content. So level up a toon as much as you can, earn favor as much as you can (because you earn TP's from doing that as well!) and when you go back to free to play you will only need to get leveling sigils for that toon past the level you are at, eg lvl 11 toon, only need to get 13-16 and 17-20 sigil's.

I'm already Premium actually. I had a pre-existing account, but wasn't active. Can't renew just yet either. Banks closed, so I can't put money on my pre-paid visa.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMonk2 View Post
    Here is a recommedation for those people trying out the free to play, pay for just one month VIP and you will get 500 TP's for the trouble.

In addition, once you go back to free to play you will be a premium free to play. So 4 characters slots, less restrictions, etc.

Considering that a character slot is 595 TP's (or round about $9) x 2 = $18, paying for a $15 subscription for just one month is very good value.

Alternatively go through bargain bins at gaming stores and pick up the DDO box, it has been found for as cheap as $1 (but probably paying around $10-$20). That will give you a VIP subscription for 1 month.

And in that VIP one month, you will have access to all the content. So level up a toon as much as you can, earn favor as much as you can (because you earn TP's from doing that as well!) and when you go back to free to play you will only need to get leveling sigils for that toon past the level you are at, eg lvl 11 toon, only need to get 13-16 and 17-20 sigil's.
    I'd go review the updated info about the differenced between Free, Premium, and VIP access. http://www.ddo.com/vip

While I know you're just trying to help new players get a "better deal", the truth is, you can get the same 4 character slots, and open access to chat, mail, and the auction house (as well as the removal of the maximum gold per level restriction)... all with smply purchasing the lowest package of points from the DDO Store (400 TPs for ~$7). The only major difference being that a single month of VIP would grant access to WF, Monk, and all purchasable content from the get-go... which would be removed upon cancelling the sub at the end of the month. So, pay the $15 VIP access and essentially 'rent' open access for a month for $7.50, and the other $7.50 effectively pays for the "free" 500TPs you gain as a short-term VIP (and still have to pay out for the shared bank/WF/Monk/etc. after the end of the month)... or just pay for a points package, and possibly save money if you only get the lower quantity.

Cent-for-cent, VIP is worth the money if you are planning on really pushing for Favor and moving straight to Lvl.20... You get free access to zones that will allow you to level as efficiently as possible, especially since Lvl.13+ practically requires purchased content to reach.

My advice for the seriously money-conscious would be to get a pre-paid C/C, pay for a points package (and purchase WF/Drow/Monk/FS, if you really wanted any of them for your main or three alternate characters), and level as far as you feel comfortable in finding groups and quests you enjoy. When you either reach the current leveling limitations imposed by the purchase-only content, or just decide you want to see some of the areas that other players keep going on about, then reconsider going VIP for full access. (content-wise, VIP is the way to go if you're planning on playing for the long haul... piecemeal content purchases, while permanent regardless of account status, are certainly the more expensive prospect).
    Dinenae Althenineth - Reclusive Survivalist (Rog/Rng/Ftr) - Khyber
    Kaljnir "Kael" Swiftaxe - Dwarven Dervish (Rng/Ftr) - Khyber
    SEPARATE - ISOLATE - NULLIFY

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MagicianBlade View Post

The game is also just way more fun at the higher levels, too.
    The game is SIGNIFIGANTLY more fun at high lvls, as is the case with almost all games. Also getting into a good guild wll help wit the "fun" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicianBlade View Post

I just can't figure out how people with 10 character slots find themselves in need of more, it's just unfathomable that you could ever repeat that starter quest that many times, without wanting to blow your own head off

* I'd really hope that they'll add in a way to skip the tutorial quest, and go straight to Korthos.. because it's going to be a painful experience for me to run that one more time..

Trust me, sometimes the vets do want to blow their heads off with the low lvl content. However, once you have completed the tutorial quest (called ingame as "The Grotto"), along with miserys peak at least one time - the next time you talk to jeets the rogue upon creation of a new character, he does give the option to skip The Grotto and go strait to (sunny) Korthos!

P.S: sorry if this has allready been discussed to death by someone else, but i never read the whole thread :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Whooops. We clearly were out of line with several of these ingredients. Including items like Dreamspitter and Chattering Ring is an embarrasing error on our part and was in no way intentional.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by merrylady View Post
    Its the game killer for me. I have several issues with it all so far (and its only day 1 lol) but that one is the one that does it for me.

There are 2 things I hate doing in games more than anything. One is grinding and the other is grinding. I refuse to do it. Not for favor to get the level sigil through the store, not to repeat dungeons/quests in the hopes that it might drop.

The adventure packs are another issue for me but I will never get that far. However, in my opinion, barring content is not going to be the smartest decision they made when they did this F2P thing.

That all being said I am having fun in the starter area and will get as far as I can get without falling prey to the grind. Most every one in there with me seems to be having fun as well however I have seen a few ppl today claim that they "were done" due to one issue or another. Anyway, I wish Turbine and DDO all the best and I hope this plan works for them. That its not "my cup of tea" doesnt make it a bad game or anything, I just wont pay to play a so called free game, and dont have the time to go "VIP".

Good luck all.

M
    Do you also raid your neighbour's trash cans for Pizza leftovers? Seriously, how tight are some people that a one time payment of around 5 bucks is too much money to spend in a game that has no monthly subscriptions.

Best thing to do is go VIP.....If you plan on really playing then you will be better off just paying the monthly fee and have access to EVERYTHING.
    This F2P is, IMO, an advertising bump. "Let's get them in with the F2P, and when they realize how much of a pain in the A$$ it is to purchase everything, they will just subscribe."
    Excellent tatic if you ask me, because it doesn't take long to get addicted to the game.

I AM THE FPOON!!!
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots KHYBER

I understand why VIP would be worthwhile for people who plan on playing long-term, and I can certainly see the appeal, but the thing with F2P is that it allows people to play who otherwise would not be able. I myself am an example of someone who loves the game, and would happily pay the subscription fee for VIP, but is lacking both money and a credit card and can't go VIP. So being F2P, even if I have to pay for some areas/races/classes etc; allows me to play the game without forking over money I don't have.

And more on-topic with the original stream of thought, I got a level sigil as an end reward from the Den of the Kobold Brothers quest from Durk the Deranged in the Leaky Dinghy, and was at level three at the time. Perhaps I just got lucky, but it seems like they aren't too hard to find if you are doing quests that offer a selectable end reward.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrell View Post
    Do you also raid your neighbour's trash cans for Pizza leftovers? Seriously, how tight are some people that a one time payment of around 5 bucks is too much money to spend in a game that has no monthly subscriptions.
    Where does my post say that I wouldnt pay it if it were worth it? My issues are with repeated content and time, not money. Id happily fork it over, heck Id sub on up, if the game were worth it to me. Its not. Im just dabbling around until I either get stuck due to no leveling sigil or am forced to repeat content in order progress. Since I already know that the game was purposely made to require repeating content I wont be all shocked and come in here screaming how bad the game sucks when that happens. Ill just take my leave. I havent repeated a thing yet and have made level 3 tho so who knows lol.

Oh, and you could try to be a little nicer to people you know nothing about.

M

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by abull74 View Post
    Best thing to do is go VIP.....If you plan on really playing then you will be better off just paying the monthly fee and have access to EVERYTHING.
    This F2P is, IMO, an advertising bump. "Let's get them in with the F2P, and when they realize how much of a pain in the A$$ it is to purchase everything, they will just subscribe."
    Excellent tatic if you ask me, because it doesn't take long to get addicted to the game.

I AM THE FPOON!!!
    I would agree but for one thing. If someone really dug the game and was willing to grind their guts out they can actually purchase all that stuff in the store with TP that they earn while doing so. It CAN be totally free to play in full. Which actually is kind of cool.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Faelyndel View Post
    I understand why VIP would be worthwhile for people who plan on playing long-term, and I can certainly see the appeal, but the thing with F2P is that it allows people to play who otherwise would not be able. I myself am an example of someone who loves the game, and would happily pay the subscription fee for VIP, but is lacking both money and a credit card and can't go VIP. So being F2P, even if I have to pay for some areas/races/classes etc; allows me to play the game without forking over money I don't have.
    I understand that finances can be tough and that obviously people wish everything was free but really the amount of money that it costs to VIP is negligible. If you can afford to have a computer capable of playing DDO and if you can afford monthly internet access for that computer you can afford to be a VIP you just choose not to. You might even have convinced yoruself that you can't afford it but you can ... about 50 cents a day.

And more on-topic with the original stream of thought, I got a level sigil as an end reward from the Den of the Kobold Brothers quest from Durk the Deranged in the Leaky Dinghy, and was at level three at the time. Perhaps I just got lucky, but it seems like they aren't too hard to find if you are doing quests that offer a selectable end reward.
    Congrats! I still haven't found one.
    There's a fine line between ignorance and arrogance and only I can cross that line.
    id(-.-)bi

Quote Originally Posted by idbi View Post
    I understand that finances can be tough and that obviously people wish everything was free but really the amount of money that it costs to VIP is negligible. If you can afford to have a computer capable of playing DDO and if you can afford monthly internet access for that computer you can afford to be a VIP you just choose not to. You might even have convinced yoruself that you can't afford it but you can ... about 50 cents a day.
    That's a good point. I probably COULD afford it. Problem remains, though, that I lack a method of paying.

That's a good point. I probably COULD afford it. Problem remains, though, that I lack a method of paying.
    Could do what I was doing before getting a reloadable Visa Buxx card. I would go to my bank every month and get a 20 or 30 dollar prepaid visa gift card. This was fine actually. I just got tired of having to cancel every month and put in a new card.

Community Member FlameofAngband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abull74 View Post

I AM THE FPOON!!!

That really depends on how long you think you are going to play this game, if you think you will play it for at least 2 years, and you trust that Turbine will still have the servers up in that time...you are actually probably better off buying all the adventure packs/races/classes and getting out of VIP. You'll save money.
    Meredeath, Asherion, Xullthrae-- Thelanis Server
    www.sparkstudios.deviantart.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Robi3.0 View Post
    P.S. VIP is not the only way to go some people like the idea of owning a game over renting it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serverdown View Post
    Should change the name from DDO Unlimited to DDO Completely Limited. Not only do you charge for people to level, but you charge for old content, INCLUDING base release content. The concept of a "free to play" system is cool except for the fact that everything short of inviting someone to your group has a buy button next to it.
    that's funny, i've played through to level 6 now, without a single need to buy anything. However, I do understand that once you get to around 8th level, if you haven't bought some content, you're going to prboably be pretty bored with what's available.

btw, got my first level sigil at 3rd level

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    Could do what I was doing before getting a reloadable Visa Buxx card. I would go to my bank every month and get a 20 or 30 dollar prepaid visa gift card. This was fine actually. I just got tired of having to cancel every month and put in a new card.
    You couldn't just recharge the gift card?

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi101 View Post
    You couldn't just recharge the gift card?
    My bank offers 2 types of stored value visa. The first is non-reloadable visa gift cards. The second is a Visa Buxx card. The buxx card is a stored value visa that is reloadable.

Community Member

Default Was offered Copper Sigil as quest reward

My level 2 wizard was offered a copper Sigil as a quest reward in one of the early Harbor quest, a level 2 quest. As a note, this NPC offered about 20 items to select from as a reward rather then a hand full like a lot of the NPC's offer.

So, instead of taking the first item wiched looked realy good, I scrolled throght all of them and there the Copper Sigil was down tward the bottom. So I think the NPC's that offer a lot of differnt rewards could be replayed and maybe a Sigil will be generated after a few times.

Community Member

Well, if your problem isnt $$ but the plastic, go to your local Blockbuster, 7-11, Walmart, or gaming store and see if they have Ultimate Game Cards. Its another way to get TP or subtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    Slimes and oozes damage whatever weapon you hit them with, except Muckbane.
    Or get some "Everbright" weapons. They are immune to rustys or oozes, too. And come in much better shapes and enchantment boni than a +1 club.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast