Default Downloader and launcher not working

Hello,
    I started playing DDO about 2 or 3 years ago.
    I guit several months back when nothing was updated ever. Also just generally frustrated with constant technically difficulties and overall unattracted to what the game was turning into at higher levels (time sinks ontop of time sinks to coverap lack of content).
    I PAID for a sub in August THINKING I was getting a new game, new class, new quests. What I got stuck with in August was more of the same boring game and realization of why I left so many months back. Surprise suprise update was late right?

Now I am trying to play the 'free play' which I think I've earned atleast a right to look at.

The launcher wont launch.

I got an email and went the site and downloaded the turbine download manager thing. I should have known it was a bad idea. I have heard many reports of it making the launcher just stop working. I had it at one time for LOTRO and I didn't really like it then either.

Right now the download manager turns on every time I try the launcher, every time I restart my computer. It restarts the download from SCRATCH. At one time it SAID it got all 4.8 gigs, then it just started over again. ITs like the download counter is counting up but nothing is every actually downloading... WHat gives????

I paid for a sub last month to see this content. Why is it such a major pain in the but to get the content? Why the new download method. Shouldn't I be able to turn-on the launcher and it automatically patch me? Why did I have to go to a seperate webpage and download a whole seperate program that runs in the system tray? I didn't need all that. I just wanted the dam launcher to work.

I don't want to waste several days deleting and redownloading software from multiple sites to get that dam thing to work. I have a life, I'm interested in content- not looking for a place to sink hours and hours of time. I'm not here for an escape from life like many users, I like normal life. My interest is real content and real game-play. I don't care how much it costs. IF its real content I'll pay for it, 20 bucks a month whatever. I don't want to sit for 4 hours watching my screen while a game redownloads over and over, whether its free or otherwise.

You guys gave yourself an extra month to get his right. I paid for that month to play an old game and wait. And still you (*&#(&$ it up.
    Khyber ShiffD (in jail),Poke (haggler), Duhhulk (retired), Docsensei (healer), Dorobo (wrench), Castur
    Orien Shiffd Cleric/thief/psychopath June 2010

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Its down right now until sometime in the morning for the big update.

Beware the Sleepeater

Default Too much to ask

Is it too much to ask that when a much much overdue content launch is a month late that the download servers, launchers etc. etc. all give you a message if they are down?

What I have now is programs telling me essentially they are broken. One says its working but isn't (the download manager) it just keeps downloading 4.8gigs and then restarting its counter over each time. And the launcher says invoker.exe can't be found... Maybe that is something to do with download manager, it may have just broken the launcher when I downloaded.

Why can't they program the launcher to tell us if it can't connect because servers are down? VERY VERY simple to do. Only way this wouldn't work is if everysingle website Turbine owns in teh world had to be down. All they have to do is have the launcher check a tertiary website for a simple code telling it about downtimes and how long, then launcher dispays code to user, 'launcher server down, try again later' etc. Why can't they do that? Is it too much to ask for a month late update.

Why did they send me an email with a link to a website that says everything is ready... if everything isn't actually ready? Why does the Download manager say 'you are seconds away from entering the massive world of blahblahblah'????

Are they just trying to toy with me???

And finally if the ahem launcher and download manager aren't connecting because servers are down, why is my computer being bogged down so that I can hardly access the internet? Why don't those programs shut off so I can use my PC to play other games that actually work at this time?
    Last edited by shiffd; 09-01-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    Khyber ShiffD (in jail),Poke (haggler), Duhhulk (retired), Docsensei (healer), Dorobo (wrench), Castur

Default Download manager is the most sophisticated software yet from Turbine

Now a program that is labeled 'download manager' must be designed to help manage downloads. Specifically give you information about how long the download will take, its size and progress. And of course it should manage your internet connection, and utilize it to the best of its ability.

The download manager is such a sophisticated program that when I completely unplug my internet form the wall.... IT KEEPS DOWNLOADING!!! HAHA! It doesn't even have to be connecte to the internet can it still downloads. What is even better is that it can download FOREVER!!! It just keeps verifying and creating the same 4.8 gigs of information... and all without using any real hardrive space, just ALL your RAM and computing power.

WHAT AN AMAZING PROGRAM!!!! Its like the giants that when you clicked on them were labeled elves, you know an elf in name and giant in form. Download manager in name, VIRUS in form.

THank you turbine!!!