Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How would you build your 2 man party?

Last night after playing some DDO I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep and started to think to myself "What would be the best 2 man party to complete most quests in DDO?"
    My conclusion was a wf caster and ranger. At first that sounds kind of odd. A caster that can heal himself, sure that makes since, but why a ranger? TWF rangers have great dps and dwarven and wf rangers have plenty of hitpoints, but that's not why I chose that class either. I chose that class really for camouflage and mass camouflage.
    Ghoste has shown us how a pure wizard can sneak past all kinds of danger (without camo).
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ghlight=ghoste
    So the idea is to use sneak and crowd control to get around some of the tougher mobs. When a fight can't be avoided (which is actually rarer then you probably think) then the wizard might have to be prepared to throw out some repairs while he/she is nuking or putting up CC.
    In most quests sneaking is just for fun. A good caster and a good ranger can duo a lot quests without sneaking. And if they do plan on sneaking then a ranged ranger works out great as well since multishot will reset often when creaping through a quest.
    How would you build your two man party???
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 20 sorc - 4 Epic /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/17pal /// Vindicate life 6 lvl 18rgr/1ftr/1clr - 2 Epic /// [COLOR="Red"]

the Tukaw build and a human FVS16/paly2/rog2. These 2 builds running together would have no problem blasting through quests.

I AM THE FPOON!!!
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots KHYBER

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by daniel7 View Post
    So the idea is to use sneak and crowd control to get around some of the tougher mobs. When a fight can't be avoided (which is actually rarer then you probably think)
    The toughest mobs are virtually always the ones whose death is obligatory to advance the quest.

It's a standard pattern in video games which DDO obeys more often than not: Your mission is to defeat Mr. Big, who is phyiscally stronger than any of the minions working for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    The toughest mobs are virtually always the ones whose death is obligatory to advance the quest.

It's a standard pattern in video games which DDO obeys more often than not: Your mission is to defeat Mr. Big, who is phyiscally stronger than any of the minions working for him.
    But it's certainly easier to take down Mr. Big, if you get to him with all your resources intact instead of using them on the minions...

which is what I think was his point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

DDO Official Troubadour Taurnish's Avatar

Lightbulb duo questing

I think a WF wiz Ghoste build and a WF tempest ranger would be a good team for most quests (eventually dual wield khopeshes). You would need to invest some points in hide/ move silently though and maybe splash a lvl or two of rogue on one of them for those "must do" traps.

Just my opinion. The immunities on both will help out a good bit.
    Cannith! Too many alts to list. Lorrtusk, Lorrtank (my main), Lorrgar, Jimipage, Taurnish, etc.

Yeah I do agree with you lorthean that if one of them splashed a rog level or two then you could get rid of some of some traps and get to some more loot but at the same time you can get past most traps with good timing.....but you can't have good timing if you are sneaking through a trap like in Monestary. In some of those cases you can summon a monster or charm one guy to grab aggro while you run past a trap and then go back to sneaking.

The good thing about duo wizard and ranger is you can both kite mobs around some cloud kill or firewall if you have to keep your distance.
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 20 sorc - 4 Epic /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/17pal /// Vindicate life 6 lvl 18rgr/1ftr/1clr - 2 Epic /// [COLOR="Red"]

A light path monk, and another light path monk.

Quote Originally Posted by soubal View Post
    A light path monk, and another light path monk.
    That's an interesting one. Are you thinking two humans with healing enhancements?
    Ghallanda

Any wf high dps build and a wf sorc

Yeah wf'd dps'r and a wf'd wiz. IMO a wiz with a back pack full of mana pots is one of the most powerfull classes in the game. If built to do even decent melee, forget the second guy.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I've two-manned a lot of quests with a similar combo.
    My Stealthy Wiz and my friends Rgr. We weren't WF though.
    I've also done a lot of quests with his Rgr and my Rgr/Rog build.

But we didn't use stealth the way Ghoste did (not often anyway).
    My friend didn't really have the patience for stealth very often.

More recently, I've taken a very dtrong interest in stealthy chars and shadow mage builds specifically.

Playing an assassin build Rog opened my eyes alot.

Anyway, Rgrs are very good choices for shortmanning quests.
    And the Wiz provides a lot of power to handle mobs.

Adding WF for healing is a great idea. But you really need to conserve the Wizard's SP. (which you can do with stealth)
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

I think the WF Fighter/Rogue here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=196370 and a good WF Sorc would do fairly well too. Granted my opinion is biased on the build :shrugs:

I think that with the new 'dungeon alert' system sneaking past a lot of enemies is going to be a lot tougher and maybe even has the potential to cause 'performance issues'. So some heavy melee would be a nice addition especially with just a 2 man group. The rogue side should be able to do most traps even into the high end content. Needless to say locked doors and other secret passages shouldnt be too difficult with proper gear applied.

Some say that only a 'splash' of rogue is needed to do most traps in the game, but if you are planning on going through to elite on upper end quests then more than a splash will be necessary IMO

WF definately is the way to go either way and as long as one of you are an arcane or have strong arcane level content in the build you should be in pretty good shape.
    I believe in mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Sarlona! Yep, back again.

Personally I would go Warforged X/2 Wiz/Rogue and Warforged X/1/1 Ranger /Monk/Fighter. With dungeon scaling you'll have few problems cleaning up everything.

All Warforged:
    2rogue/6ranger/12wizard twf
    traps, stealth, melee, ranged, nuking, healing
    2monk/2paladin/16sorc thf
    stealth, melee, nuking, healing

Option 2
    20Barb Berserker
    18Bard/2rogue Warchanter/traps
    Buff the Barb, heal the barb, add some dps

The Tukaw build and a WF sorc can duo pretty much anything.

Me and my buddy two-manned to level 14 with these two. Could've gone further, but we decided to stop there.

With having two self sufficent WFs, the caster dosent have to waste mana on heals and buffs.

2 wf wizzards

starting stats:

16 str
    16 con
    18 int

use masters touch and great axes.

me and my buddy w/ identical builds duo'd our way to lvl 9 then started pugging w/ gianthold.

it was definitely challenging and difficult, but the best times were completing the quest while dead in our firewalls.. very VERY good memories!
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

personally I would like to stay away from the WF duo/solo builds for this kind of problem.
    IMO I would say that a bard 18 rog 2 for buffing healing and traps (possibly 16/2/2 with 2 fighter lvl's for feats to gain TWF or THF) along with a high DPS fighter would be a fun way to go. I have personal done something like that and it turned out very well

it basically goes bard buffs up the fighter and the fighter will kill everything in the way while the bard can get the heals and traps ect. with the bard being a battle bard both can fight for a bit of speed although the bard would probably be reduced to the person doing the vorpal, banishing, smiting paralyzing ect. as the damage output is not very high on boss fights.

also on a side note, evasion is a nice thing to have while short-manning but is not mandatory so if you like try fighter 18 monk or rouge 2, or alternately drop the fighter for a ranger that may or may not open up the stealth option the OP is talking about.

well I do have a bit of time on my hands, here are the builds I would use.

bard 18 rouge 2
    race: human
    take rog at lvl 1 and 10
    starting stats (32 pt)
    str 12
    dex 16 +2 lvl 4 lvl 8
    con 14
    int 10
    wiz 8
    cha 16 +3 lvl 12 lvl 16 lvl 20

skills
    keep perform, umd, open, search and dd maxed at the very least. recommended balance, concentration as well

feats:
    human: TWF
    1: WF pierce
    3: extend
    6: PA
    9: ITWF
    12: weapon finesse
    15: IC: pierce
    18: GTWF

notable enhancements

rouge haste boost
    warchanter
    max healing line
    max SP
    max wand/scroll damage

use rapiers

ranger
    lvl 20 dwarf ranger

stats:
    str: 16 all lvl up here
    dex: 14
    con: 16
    int: 10
    wiz: 14
    cha: 8

skills keep balance, hide, MS, spot up whatever else is fine

feats:
    1: dodge
    3: mobility
    6: spring attack
    9: IC: slash
    12: toughness
    15: PA
    18: maximize

notable enhancements

tempest III
    max healing line
    dwarf axe damage
    max SP
    favored enemies

use dwarf axes
    Khyber. Shanayney TR wiz. Sahanna 20 Cleric. ossifer of MADM

18. 08-30-2009, 09:56 PM

I made a thread along these lines (more aimed at newer players) - it's here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=194961

That said, (for experienced players only) I'd recommend a Clr18/Mnk2 evasive battlecleric (Dex/Wis build not Str) and a Brd18/Rog2 evasive trapskilled warchanter for beating unknown content. Good to great DPS for a two-player group (to beat the rare encounters with minimum DPS requirements, like the rednamed Eladrin in Running with the Devils), mediocre to solid trapsmithing (for rare quests like VON5, elite STK and VOD that are extremely tough to beat without them, good, hard to resist AoE burst DPS once the cleric gets Bladebarrier, and when it helps, the cleric can 'hate tank' if the bard slows up a bit on DPS (perhaps by pulling out a Treason).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Or, with mod9 upon us, how about a FvS/Sorc(/pal?) arcane & divine (&melee) all in one, all CHA based. Second char is a dex monk with a rogue splash for traps. Monk has high AC, good saves (esp with the pally aura) & improved evasion, so takes pretty minimal damage. If that red bar's dropping too quickly for the self heals to keep up, the FvS healing can join the party. FvS (+pal) gives some good melee damage as well, and the sorc levels can give some arcane spells+wands(+enhancements)

So..

FvS/sorc/pal + Monk/rogue.

I'd say an paladin-based intimitank along with a wf wiz with a 2-lvl rogue splash. Given how much soloing I did on my tank, getting someone to handle traps, do some light buffing and some CC would make duoing almost anything possible. DPS may be a little low, but survivability can make up for it in this case.

The second character should probably have UMD for some wand/scroll healing through really tough fights.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast