Thread: economy

Default economy

Well im kinda new to the game... but one impression i had is that the economy is pretty much f*ed up by twinks...
    since ddo started there were servers added?
    how long it took till the economy got sick and twisted? :P

im planing to play really serious on canith so I wanted some old players impressions if you dont mind =)

thanks

dan

rawr \o/
    Cannith: Laurania Wildfire, Blu Trapspringer.

Like most MMOs it took about 3 days from launch
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by uhgungawa View Post
    Like most MMOs it took about 3 days from launch
    Probobly just a bit of exageration here...

I'd give Cannith about 90 Days to be on par with the other servers economy.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kkobold View Post
    Well im kinda new to the game... but one impression i had is that the economy is pretty much f*ed up by twinks...
    Not quite like that, but it's true that the DDO economy doesn't perform the functions that it probably should for better gameplay. A character who has powerful items given to them will be much more powerful than one using only what he's personally looted, at least until you've been at the XP cap for a while.

Honestly if they wanted a good "economy" the devs would've had to restrict it to be more like the conditions of PnP D&D, where you simply can't trade with a substantial number of other characters. The idea of a D&D player sending a magic item from one character to a lower-level one is just laughably out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Not quite like that, but it's true that the DDO economy doesn't perform the functions that it probably should for better gameplay. A character who has powerful items given to them will be much more powerful than one using only what he's personally looted, at least until you've been at the XP cap for a while.

Honestly if they wanted a good "economy" the devs would've had to restrict it to be more like the conditions of PnP D&D, where you simply can't trade with a substantial number of other characters. The idea of a D&D player sending a magic item from one character to a lower-level one is just laughably out of bounds.
    Or just have items be binds-on-equip - that way, you can send that Min Level 2 +1 acid of pure good shortsword to an alt - but if you do, it leaves the economy for good.

Sure new ones will get looted, but they will remain scarce.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Or just have items be binds-on-equip - that way, you can send that Min Level 2 +1 acid of pure good shortsword to an alt - but if you do, it leaves the economy for good.
    That still means that characters belonging to a player with higher-level characters will be solidly above the power of one who does not.

New players are triply weaker than their other party members:
    1. Less skill and knowledge
    2. 28 point builds
    3. No gift items

Honestly i felt dizzy...
    when i got my first 3k gp.. i went after the auction house to buy a new sword.. and well had a laugh :P
    its kinda funny to see the price of a brooch of shielding and think a lil on dd pnp.

yeah.. boe works great for wow.. but sometimes its a setback.

There are a few adjustments that could make it work.. but they would be rather unpopular... like the removal of auction houses.. or fixed maximum prices on the item base valuex2 or something.

rawr \o/

Honestly i felt dizzy...
    when i got my first 3k gp.. i went after the auction house to buy a new sword.. and well had a laugh :P
    its kinda funny to see the price of a brooch of shielding and think a lil on dd pnp.

There are a few adjustments that could make it work.. but they would be rather unpopular... like the removal of auction houses.. or fixed maximum prices on the item base valuex2 or something.
    There have been a ton of threads on things like your last idea, and once you think about how things work in the game, realize that any attempt to legislate the economy in that fashion will not work. It will revert to what we had BEFORE the AH was in place, and that was the friends and guild networks. That meant that new players without a guild were often woefully underequipped compared to their peers and that that had almost no way to offset that. Except for a small handful of uber items, one can obtain quite an array of good items for reasonable prices at the AH and vendors.

Once you character hits double digit levels, the rate at which you can earn gold in the game is amazing compared to what happens at lower levels. Also do not discount the advantage of haggle when it comes to buying and selling loot. It can really add up.
    Sarlona - The Ko Brotherhood :Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8+4E; Hennako-Human Cleric22; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15; lots more

supply and demand
    "Player testers have done an excelent job and I really do appreciate the testing done by the players that report the issues which then get ignored ......."

Honestly i felt dizzy...

You sparked an idea. The only way that turbine could keep the economy from getting all jacked with out taking away the ability for us to mail items back and forth from our own accounts would be....
    1) fixed AH prices.
    2) Any item that you equip on a character is now account bound.

I'd personaly be totaly cool with that. I love to twink my characters... but paying 30k gp for a +1 long bow..come on that is just rape

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Probobly just a bit of exageration here...

I'd give Cannith about 90 Days to be on par with the other servers economy.
    Sounds about right

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Zenako View Post
    There have been a ton of threads on things like your last idea, and once you think about how things work in the game, realize that any attempt to legislate the economy in that fashion will not work. It will revert to what we had BEFORE the AH was in place, and that was the friends and guild networks. That meant that new players without a guild were often woefully underequipped compared to their peers and that that had almost no way to offset that. Except for a small handful of uber items, one can obtain quite an array of good items for reasonable prices at the AH and vendors.

Once you character hits double digit levels, the rate at which you can earn gold in the game is amazing compared to what happens at lower levels. Also do not discount the advantage of haggle when it comes to buying and selling loot. It can really add up.
    Black markets are always fun... I think it would actualy fit quite well into the unique mysticism of the D&D atmosphere.
    just think of the whispers on the street "psssst... talk to Clawkin. He's got some wicked Kopeshes but it'll cost you"

Quote Originally Posted by Clawkin View Post
    Black markets are always fun... I think it would actualy fit quite well into the unique mysticism of the D&D atmosphere.
    just think the whispers ont eh street "psssst... talk to Clawkin. He's got some wicked Kopeshes but it'll cost you"
    yeah.. you dont really buy vorpal swords everywhere..
    i think that should be a limit on ah..
    if you want to makes alot of money and profit on a rare item you can just try to sell it overpriced

another way to help the economy is to realize that the inn kepper or bartender doesnt have 20k plat to buy your lvl 16 **** loot.

Things are expensive because when you reach cap you keep making alot of money just from selling **** stuff to vendors.. remove the ability to do so (or limit the vendors fund) drastically diminishes the money circulating and dropping prices alot.
    That way ah wouldnt need to be limited...

Would take a while till somone burn their 100 million plat but eventually things would fall in place.

anyways... just ideia... based on "supply and demand"... after all the bartender doesnt really need the **** he buys.

rawr \o/