Community Member

Default query for the knowledgeable re Chaosgarde

I seem to recall seeing something about this before, but can't seem to find it...
    so:

Chaosgarde: +2 dodge bonus
    and the Chaosguard effect: (+2 deflection bonus to AC , +2 resistance bonus) vs. Chaotic enemies

The question: does the deflection bonus and resistance bonus stack with the prot 5 deflection item and the +5 resistance item as a special case, ignoring the normal stacking rules?

Again, seem to remember seeing this before, but can't confirm atm.

Only the dodge bonus stacks with other bonuses. If you have +5 deflection AC and +5 Resistance items already, then the 'chaosgaurd effect' will not be utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorby View Post
    Only the dodge bonus stacks with other bonuses. If you have +5 deflection AC and +5 Resistance items already, then the 'chaosgaurd effect' will not be utilized.
    Correct.

Edit: apparently it's not supposed to stack but it does anyway. *boggle*
    Last edited by Timjc86; 07-13-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gorby View Post
    If you have +5 deflection AC and +5 Resistance items already, then the 'chaosgaurd effect' will not be utilized.
    Nope. Chaosgarde's save bonus is not "Resistance". It's what can be called an "alignment" bonus.

Just a thought. I think this could be answered with the correct spells casted in the pvp arena wearing the CG and not. So an and so forth. That is if there is not enough sufficent correct answers here on the forums.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Nope. Chaosgarde's save bonus is not "Resistance". It's what can be called an "alignment" bonus.
    Angelus_dead is right. I just tested it on my fighter...

Save without chaosgarde vs. fire reaver's flame strike... 25.
    Save with chaosgarde vs. fire reaver's flame strike... 27.
    Save without choasgarde but with prot. from evil... 27.
    Save with chaosgarde and prot. from evil... 27.

My fighter has a +4 resistance item always equipped. The save bonus from protection from chaos stacks with it, but not with protection from evil.

Yeah, like AD said, this falls into the alignment bonus category. Similar to rightousness and vs evil effects these bonuses always stack.
    Dahnee (Clr) - Ro Shambo (Brb) - Donnie (TR FvS) - Selector (Brd/Rog) - Synthe (Wiz)
    Order of the Silver Dragons (http://silverdragons-lair.net) Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Actually, the devs seem to think it's a resistance bonus as well, even though it's pretty easy to demonstrate that it does stack. Link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silthe
    ...No. Resistance bonuses do not stack with other Resistance bonuses. Both Protection from Evil and resistance items give Resistance bonuses to saving throws, so they should not stack. Spells like Heorism give Morale bonuses to Saving Throws so that will stack with either Resistance bonus...
    Quote Originally Posted by vyvy3369 View Post
    "Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
    - Henry Jones, Sarlona
    All done with Completionist (again) and Epic Completionist. First character to 30 on Sarlona* (before the rollback).

*Sigh*

I'm just going to stop posting replies to threads like this, because I am never correct, no matter how sure I am. Original post edited.

Actually, the devs seem to think it's a resistance bonus as well, even though it's pretty easy to demonstrate that it does stack. Link.
    I dont see where Silthe mentioned Chaosguarde specifically, but did mention that other types of resistance bonuses do stack. I think it was more our confusion of what type of resistance bonus Chaos provides than the devs.
    3 Rules to Life

1.) "Dont teach a pig how to sing because it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    2.) "Never wrestle a pig in mud, because you get dirty and the pig enjoys it."
    3.) "Never argue with an idiot because people watching cannot tell the difference."
    Krago - Dwarven Barbarian

Community Member GunboatDiplomat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timjc86 View Post
    *Sigh*

I'm just going to stop posting replies to threads like this, because I am never correct, no matter how sure I am. Original post edited.
    I never knew this about chaosgarde either, I was wondering why the saves on my tank were slightly higher in than they should be. (but then when they're all in the 30's its not really important )

Quote Originally Posted by Krago View Post
    I dont see where Silthe mentioned Chaosguarde specifically, but did mention that other types of resistance bonuses do stack.
    Actually, he/she quite clearly stated "Resistance bonuses do not stack with other Resistance bonuses".

No, it wasn't specifically about Chaosgarde, but the ability in question quite clearly states in its description that it gives a "+2 Resistance bonus to saves from Chaotic enemies". I'm fairly certain I asked specifically about Chaosgarde/PfE in that thread, but I don't recall seeing a response to it.

Either way, as of the last dev post I've seen on the matter, they're both confused and wrong on this subject. As others have mentioned, it really seems to behave as more of an alignment bonus, since IIRC Chaosgarde doesn't stack with PfE.
    "Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
    - Henry Jones, Sarlona
    All done with Completionist (again) and Epic Completionist. First character to 30 on Sarlona* (before the rollback).

Oh Wow, I never knew this. I'll have to keep an eye on the saves the next time I have a chance to test this, not that I don't believe I was wrong heh. If AD says it's not resistance as stated on the item, then I stand corrected