Community Member Electric_Pulses's Avatar

Default I need your help!

My account got hacked, rocker was deleted and 95% of my items lost, sent in ticket and was told I can't have acc. rolled back to thursday, can't be told who is responsible if they discover who, can't be told if they cant trace ip of who logged onto my acc. and link it to another acc., cant be told if my stuff got deleted or mailed off to a character and if so who, but I must get an answer from someone for this last question cuz its driving me insane; should i still play ddo?

is it worth restarting after having done it all and putting so much work in that would take a long time to recover from? is it worth risking it happening again? so should i quit or stay?

I wouldn't give any money to a company that can show that you were screwed by someone else and does nothing to correct it although they can easily do so and just won't for no good reason.

3 Rules

#1. Never make your password Love, Secret, Sex of God. (Movie Hackers)

#2. Don't play drunk. Cause you might not remember what you did the night before.

#3. Don't decide to roll up a monk..........
    Last edited by Bunker; 05-30-2009 at 02:56 AM.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    3 Rules

#1. Never Make Your Password Love, Secret, Sex Of God. (movie Hackers)

#2. Don't Play Drunk. Cause You Might Not Remember What You Did The Night Before.

#3. Don't Decide To Roll Up A Monk..........
    Hack The Planet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by al73r View Post
    Hack The Planet!!!
    "Hack the Planet!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Electric_Pulses View Post
    My account got hacked, rocker was deleted and 95% of my items lost, sent in ticket and was told I can't have acc. rolled back to thursday, can't be told who is responsible if they discover who, can't be told if they cant trace ip of who logged onto my acc. and link it to another acc., cant be told if my stuff got deleted or mailed off to a character and if so who, but I must get an answer from someone for this last question cuz its driving me insane; should i still play ddo?

is it worth restarting after having done it all and putting so much work in that would take a long time to recover from? is it worth risking it happening again? so should i quit or stay?
    I have more than a little experience with hacked accounts. I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish with your post. No one can answer whether it's still worth playing. Obviously, most of us reading the boards still think the game is worth playing. From a entertainment stand point whether your account was hacked or not it's still worth playing if the game itself entertains you. Loss of a character won't change that.

I suspect what your really hoping for with the post is to engender some sort of outrage that Turbine won't help. Well that won't happen either. 99% of the time in a situation like this the account wasn't truly hacked. Hacking would indicate a malicious use of a key-logger, etc. It's pretty rare these days. The normal case is that someone you know gained access to your password. This can be someone with access to your computer, a friend who you gave access to, a family member, someone in your house, etc. The fact that they actually deleted your character adds credence to this. A hacker, stripping the account, usually doesn't care enough to delete and sabotage the account itself.

That being said, Turbine isn't an investigation organization, especially since most of these situations pertain to friends, family members, etc. They will provide IP information if they are contacted by the appropriate authorities, but only to those authorities. If they provide it to individuals they open themselves up to a massive amount of litigation. Frankly, it's your job to safeguard your account. Not theirs.

Investigating it on their own also opens up other rather thorny issues regarding who actually owns virtual items, and how to value them.

In the older days of MMO's hacking was much more prevalent, but that is because accounts and items could be worth tens of thousands of dollars. Because of that, it was possible to have a police department, or in a few cases the FBI make a request for an IP trace. I know of a few cases where actual jail time was received due to theft of goods on Ultima Online accounts. In those cases, we could clearly establish value and transfer of property. That's tough to do these days. You would have a rough time establishing that DDO items and currency have enough real world value to interest anyone.

Basically, it's not that turbine won't help. It's that they can't for very valid real world reasons that protect us all. You can't expect them to and you can't blame them. It's your own responsibility to protect your account. Truth is if you had fun leveling your character and making him what he was, then the game had entertainment value to you. Do it again. Doesn't matter that you lost the character. Lord knows many of us have been deleting very good capped toons lately because we are bored waiting for Mod 9. The entertainment value of starting over is still there for us.
    Proud Member of D.W.A.T - Dwarven Weapons and Tactics
    Muligan - Rounders - Snack - Straight - Dunk - Gy - Judge - Circuits - Kraaken - Nystil

Quote Originally Posted by Electric_Pulses View Post

Issue covered nicely already by Wrigley. (except maybe for that "we" he let slip in there...) ( )

I'll only add - look around home for your culprit. Have a fight with somebody recently? Have another player in the house (or a visiting friend) who may have become covetous?

Unfortunately, from Turbine's point of view, it could also be an attempt to scam them.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 05-31-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by al73r View Post
    hack The Planet!!!
    Trashing Trashing!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
    Whats going on here? Walk in my shoes hurt your feet then know why berry and I do dirt in the street. Like he said, this is an IFV thread now, get off my block son...

Quote Originally Posted by Berryman View Post
    Trashing Trashing!!!
    "Hack the Planet! Hack the Planet!"

who gives a ****

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    "Hack the Planet! Hack the Planet!"
    **** I want to watch Hackers now.... Maybe I'll run to DVDplanet and pick it up... Angelina Jolie is f'ing HAWT in that movie. "You're Crash Override!?" "I hope you don't **** the way you type..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
    Whats going on here? Walk in my shoes hurt your feet then know why berry and I do dirt in the street. Like he said, this is an IFV thread now, get off my block son...

reroll. I will help you lvl up rocker!
    Rakellalea, Razakiller, Spritefire, Eekk THELANIS
    Originally Posted by eclipsechild
    My problem is getting worse. I tried to involve her, so I rolled a human female barbarian two handed tank with low Int and named it after her. What did I do wrong?