Default Poor Behavior and Speaking Out

For some reason this really bugs me.

Was in a PUG last night on my mid level pure rogue (yes, I know, a PUG, you never know what you are going to get).

There was another pure rogue in the group that was three levels below me, although he leveled partway through the quest chain and was then two levels below me.

He did a few things that I wasn't that fond of, but I don't want to derail things here.

What really got on my nerves was that on three occasions, while we were fighting either a horde of mobs or a boss, there was the creaking sound of a chest opening and in chat you could see him looting. On one of these occasions, one of our party members was incapped at the time. One of the times, I had drawn aggro which is rough for a rogue, and was jumping around like a sorc in a firewall chugging pots trying to stay alive.

Each time he did this I told him that was bad form. He did not respond, nor did anyone else in party say anything.

At the end of the first part of the chain (Sorrowdusk) he dropped group without a word. The party leader wondered aloud if he dropped because of being called on looting while others were dying, and that if so that was fine because it is really bad form to do that. The rest of the party agreed, although nobody had said anything to him at the time.

My point is this. Many of us from time to time do things that others may find to be irritating, or even damaging to the party or the chances of finishing the quest. Too many of us don't say anything about it for whatever reason. That should change.

Be polite, but be firm. It may be that they just don't know, or haven't considered how their actions may look to others. If nobody says anything to them, they will never change.

I have run with a few people who are very good at this. They are nice about it, but don't tolerate garbage. IMO, that makes this game better. It's a learning experience for somebody. Either the person learns that it bothers people when they loot while the rest of the party is fighting, or the rest of the party learns something about the looter.
    Thelanis; Strngrdanger, Likkerpig, Byrnt, Obgynkenobi, Severancepay, Buffystmarie.

While I agree, looting a chest while a battle is going on is poor form, I'm going to play devils advocate for a sec.
    This guy may have been used to running with what appears to be an increasing number of Zerger runs lately, who often have several capped toons, and don't need that lvl 8 chest, and often don't stop to loot it after the fight is done. He might simply have been trying to loot and keep up. Recently I ran that chain in a group with my solo player. my toon is built for solo play, and when in the zerg group I joined, I could keep up, but was as useful to the party as a wet tissue, with a couple exceptions.
    Getting people to listen can be the hard part though. One run we had 5 dungeon crawlers and 1 zerger. after several complaints and requests for the zerger to slow down both typed and in voice chat, half the party dropped group before the end of the quest... TO which the Zerger said "What...Why...???" And when told... " You should have said something if it was bothering you"
    Yeah, be polite, but don't be rude when pointing out poor form.
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

i'm with ya. I pug exclusively so I run into this sort of thing occasionally.
    usually all it takes is one: "/p hey buddy, notice we're all fighting here? the chest
    will still be there when the fight is over."
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Default Some people are just going to do their thing.

ran a shroud last night with a sorc who had....

6 kills in part one....ok no big deal - guy is learning - not a problem.

wants to burn the crystal and sprints towards the center before the named mobs are pull - desipite being told by a guildy to stop and acknowleding that guildy that he would stop - he activates the mobs, dies, but manages to pull the devil from the center.

While a solid guild run would have pulled this off without a problem, we were in an average PUG that needed things to go as planned. After 15 min of killing and resetting the caster in question pulled the devil again, died, and the devil bugged in the wall. Much to the clerics relief, we called it.

My point, no matter what you say, how nice you say it, some people are just going to do thier own thing regardless. If your going to Pug just put them on the list (you know, the list we all have that details the people we no longer wish to run with) and move on.

Proud member of Pestilence!!! Alts include Littlemack, Scooter, Undercover, Blutoe, and Pressley.

Well said, Op...
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unionyes View Post
    My point is this. Many of us from time to time do things that others may find to be irritating, or even damaging to the party or the chances of finishing the quest. Too many of us don't say anything about it for whatever reason. That should change.

Be polite, but be firm. It may be that they just don't know, or haven't considered how their actions may look to others. If nobody says anything to them, they will never change.

I have run with a few people who are very good at this. They are nice about it, but don't tolerate garbage. IMO, that makes this game better. It's a learning experience for somebody. Either the person learns that it bothers people when they loot while the rest of the party is fighting, or the rest of the party learns something about the looter.
    To focus on what you didn't want to focus on for a second, everyone knows (or should know) that it's selfish to loot a chest while the rest of the party needs help. You don't need experience in DDO to know that.

How does someone demonstrate "not tolerating garbage" in a quest/raid instance? In the instance, they have no leverage other than: 1) telling the person to stop doing that; 2) stop helping the person's character during the quest, possibly letting the character remain dead most of the time); 3) adding the character to one's DNG list; 4) threatening to drop the character when the quest/raid is over (possibly good leverage if it's a multi-parter; 5) something else? Leaving the character dead might be enough leverage, given that no looting is possible (possibly "forcing" the player to drop from the group), but that doesn't stop the dead character from earning XP or favor (thus allowing the player to stay in the group and "leech" XP and favor).

personally, when I get near a loot chest I have my pali diplo the mobs on to the caster while I raid the chest.... It is just good tactics.. if the party wipes, at least i got the chest, right? and besides that, what if i have to take a mid quest afk for a smoke? gotta get the chest first right, b/c Gaaawwdd knows some times those smoke breaks can take a while...
    Next time you get a lecture, just remember the national average salary of any forum admin is comparable to that of your local McDonald's assistant manger........ stating facts must suck.....

Community Member Fluffy_the_Goth's Avatar

You see me lootin'
    You hatin'

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartcom2000 View Post
    personally, when I get near a loot chest I have my pali diplo the mobs on to the caster while I raid the chest.... It is just good tactics.. if the party wipes, at least i got the chest, right? and besides that, what if i have to take a mid quest afk for a smoke? gotta get the chest first right, b/c Gaaawwdd knows some times those smoke breaks can take a while...
    Especially when you have to roll your own.

maybe he was role playing? To a rogue this is not really bad form.
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

if his name was asdfkerfklk then he might have only been there for the loot
    PESTILENCE······Thelanis
    Roggane·····Marsten·····Tramire·····Virulence·····Teng
    Archfiend·····Hellcat·····Despoiler·····DespoilerII·····Abbynormal

For some reason this really bugs me.

Was in a PUG last night on my mid level pure rogue (yes, I know, a PUG, you never know what you are going to get).

There was another pure rogue in the group that was three levels below me, although he leveled partway through the quest chain and was then two levels below me.

He did a few things that I wasn't that fond of, but I don't want to derail things here.

What really got on my nerves was that on three occasions, while we were fighting either a horde of mobs or a boss, there was the creaking sound of a chest opening and in chat you could see him looting. On one of these occasions, one of our party members was incapped at the time. One of the times, I had drawn aggro which is rough for a rogue, and was jumping around like a sorc in a firewall chugging pots trying to stay alive.

Each time he did this I told him that was bad form. He did not respond, nor did anyone else in party say anything.

At the end of the first part of the chain (Sorrowdusk) he dropped group without a word. The party leader wondered aloud if he dropped because of being called on looting while others were dying, and that if so that was fine because it is really bad form to do that. The rest of the party agreed, although nobody had said anything to him at the time.

plat farmer maybe?

X DDO QUÉBEC X

I've been in PUGs more than usual recently and have noticed increasing numbers of players that simply don't respond to voice, party chat or tells. I don't know if they're being idiots on purpose, if they're kids or if they don't speak any English.

Quote Originally Posted by bartcom2000 View Post
    I think I've run with you before...

The Server Formerly Known As Aerenal ...and Cannith
    Legends of Aerenal: Officer - Gods and Heroes: Peon
    Allectus Siff, James Tiberius Kirk, Spanner Siff, Syphax Siff, Ulixes Siff, Etc.

- Recall, drop group and reform around him.
    - Add him to your blacklist or "friends" list, so you can avoid him in the future.
    - Don't sweat the ss. You shouldn't need a rogue to power-level yourself. Run the quest, dump the dead weight, get a new crop of pileons for next quest, rinse and repeat until you have a decent group. Keep the good names handy so you can look them up and level together.
    - If the good ones choose to group with others next session then you're the pileon.
    [RENEGADE (Monk) - LEGION - FOUNDER AUG 2005]
    Blutus, Bodak, Diablo, Guilloteen, Jellybean, Mantikor
    Marauder, Renaissance, Rigormortiss, Ungajinga, Valkyrie
    1st ww Tower/Vision/Abbot/Shroud, Epic VoN/Chrono, Reaver Xoriat * 1st capped Permatoon

Well said.
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

More importantly. Was there anything good in the chests?
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    More importantly. Was there anything good in the chests?
    Nope.
    Thelanis; Strngrdanger, Likkerpig, Byrnt, Obgynkenobi, Severancepay, Buffystmarie.