Founder

Default Lesson Learned at AH guy

Sigh.

I had some stuff on my level 5 Cleric (my high level character) and wanted to give it to my wiffleball character, (the Drow Rogue/Ranger that I plan to play, at least until 1750 favor).

I was going to mail it, but thought, Hey! I can sell it on the AH and buy it with my other character and save a lot of money!!

So I put the asking price a bit higher than the thing was worth. Gloves +2 strength with some other ability. Then I saw a person I had grouped with on the starter island and was chatting with him when I saw the message.

It sold. Seems they go for about 10x what I asked for it.

DOH!!

Lesson 2
    I was also bidding on one of thsoe featherfall rings. it was 32,000 gold which was a good deal since they go for so much more and the time was running out and I kept myself in the running. Then I thought: I wonder if I can bid just slightly above the bid someone else puts in.

So, a higher bid came in and I adjusted my bid to be 1000 more (instead of 3000 more) and ....

The auction expired.

I had been constantly hitting the refresh button to see the current bid to make sure I could place a bid quickly and may have gotten a bid in before it expired... but ... alas...

I did manage to buy a +2 set of weave armor that is AC7 plus Dex bonus (which is pretty good (AC10) for level 3 dungeons )... not what I wanted ... but the stuff I bid on gets out bid and sells before I can bid again. It is both easier and harder then I thought to spend the money I got from Gornn and Slink.

Of course at level 3 (I'm not advancing levels so as to get the most exp from the Soloable dungeons so, I'm level 2 Rank 14) there is not much I can really use.

LIVE and LEARN!!!
    Alice laughed: There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.
    I daresay you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
    Alice in Wonderland

Community Member

WTS +2 STR gloves - 20pp.
    -----------------------------------
    aka Amabel, Milvus, Metella, Gracchus, Pyroclastik, Anil, Cryogenic, Arabell, Sallust, Initium, Concentric, Llebara, Gingerspyce, Putana, Erestem
    Phoenix Crusaders - Khyber

Founder

Default hehee

Quote Originally Posted by Amabel View Post
    WTS +2 STR gloves - 20pp.
    Were those the ones I sold??

If so, Ill buy them off ya!

Send a mail gram to Wiffleball. And I'll send you the money.

Thanks for taking pity on a Noob.
    I daresay you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
    Alice in Wonderland

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Shadow View Post
    Were those the ones I sold??

If so, Ill buy them off ya!

Send a mail gram to Wiffleball. And I'll send you the money.

Thanks for taking pity on a Noob.
    Wiffleball will have mail when I get home from work.
    aka Amabel, Milvus, Metella, Gracchus, Pyroclastik, Anil, Cryogenic, Arabell, Sallust, Initium, Concentric, Llebara, Gingerspyce, Putana, Erestem

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Look for some mail from me

Saal
    Last edited by Saaluta; 05-25-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Founder

Default night shift

I am working night for the next 3 weeks (working now from 4pm to 2am ... had to stay over today till 6am) so it will take a while for me to get there.

Thanks for the gloves
    Alice in Wonderland

Founder

Default Thanks!!!

Wow thanks guys/gals!

Thanks Amabel, Gornn , and Saaluta.

That ring o' feathers will be very handy in the dungeons. When I was trying to get favor to start Wiffleball the Drow, I would group with people and I would not know where to go in the dungeon and they would all be jumping down from heights, and I would have to climb down the ladders (learned to do that after dying twice from falling damage). Then of course I would be lost... the party would need healing and I would read "WHERE IS THE CLERIC ... ARE YOU ASLEEP!!!!"

To which I would have to say, "Um... I'm lost." where did you guys go?"

Thank you Gornn for the goggles. Wow ... +15 ... In paper and pencil D$D that would be considered Monty Haul loot.

And Amabel thanks for the gloves and gold. I have learned to look on the vendor for prices before posting stuff.

Oh ... What is up with the price of collectables? Like an Idiot, I deleted all my low level collectables when I needed space for higher level ones on my favor run. (A group of Level 16 characters carried me through some dungeon series for a necklas that gave death ward and I got 100+ favor for the day's work... Thanks Jaxx and Co.)
    Alice in Wonderland

Community Member

Ignore the price of collectibles. You won't need them until you've made your mineral II greensteel and farmed your icy raiments, and that's probably a little way off.

Ama

Community Member

I was going to mail it, but thought, Hey! I can sell it on the AH and buy it with my other character and save a lot of money!!

So I put the asking price a bit higher than the thing was worth.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

When you mail something between characters, it costs 2% of the base price +1sp in mailing fees.

When you sell something on the AH, they take 30% of the value it sold for in AH Fees.

Because you made the buyout price MORE than the base price of the item it was going to cost you MORE than 30% of the base price in fees, leaving you at least 28% worse off than if you had mailed the item.

If you're going to use the AH to transfer items between characters, you need to make the buyout 1cp and then you save a lot of money. But as you found out, it's not a safe way to do it.

The other way to save money on mailing fees is to get a friend to hold onto the items while you switch toons. Make sure it's a trusted friend though.

Good Luck.

Guild Leader of The Faithless Constructs.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by pscomputers View Post
    I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

When you mail something between characters, it costs 2% of the base price +1sp in mailing fees.

When you sell something on the AH, they take 30% of the value it sold for in AH Fees.

Because you made the buyout price MORE than the base price of the item it was going to cost you MORE than 30% of the base price in fees, leaving you at least 28% worse off than if you had mailed the item.

If you're going to use the AH to transfer items between characters, you need to make the buyout 1cp and then you save a lot of money. But as you found out, it's not a safe way to do it.

The other way to save money on mailing fees is to get a friend to hold onto the items while you switch toons. Make sure it's a trusted friend though.

Good Luck.
    Hmmmm ... You may have that backwards.

the item was going to cost me 400 and change to mail but only 28 or so to sell.

But I'm glad you were able to have a chuckle ... laughing is good for the mind and body. A laugh a day ... keeps the doctor away!!!
    Alice in Wonderland

Community Member

But I'm glad you were able to have a chuckle ... laughing is good for the mind and body. A laugh a day ... keeps the doctor away!!!
    Nah, he's right.

It cost you 28 to list the item. Upon sale, 30% of the sale price goes to the coin lords.

So, if your case had worked out and you posted the item for, say, 1000plat, when you got a mail from the auction house containing the cash from the sale, it will only contain 700plat.

Founder

ohhhhh.

Pretty sneaky. I would not have checked that. Wow... 30% that is a hugh commission.

Hmmmm ... Looks like mail is the way to go.

So much to learn...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ann Shadow; 05-26-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    Alice in Wonderland

Community Member

Mailing fees are 2% of base price of the item.

The AH has 4 durations that you can post the auction for. Each level of duration charges .5% of Base Value. If you post it for the full 3 days (tier 4) then it too costs 2% of Base Value in posting fee's.

A small bonus to this is, posting fees are returned if the item sells, but you pay the 30% selling fee.

Your item, worth in the vicinity of 20,000gp (400gp and change mailing fee) still should've cost 100gp in posting fee's if you chose to go for the default 8 hour (tier 1) auction duration. Not the 28gp you mentioned.

Guild Leader of The Faithless Constructs.

Community Member

And to get it onto an alt you lose the 30% sale fee!

I was scratching my head at the thought process behind the original post but it seems that the concept has been explained.

As far as collectibles go, don't junk them all. There are a few that you will want to keep, either to sell on the AH or else use them down the road when you get to higher levels. Some of the ones to keep are:

Vials of Pure Water
    Silver Flame Hymnals
    Tome: Prophecies of Khyber
    Luminescent Dusts
    Sparkling Dusts
    Fragrant Drowshood mushrooms
    Deadly Feverblanch mushrooms
    Lightning-Split Soarwoods

For the most part, these are the harder-to-find collectibles. Other collectibles can get you some decent potions, wands or items that can be handy in certain situations but those listed above are used for higher level crafting and can fetch a pretty penny on the AH if you play your cards right.

If you're newer to the game, turning in collectibles and selling the rewards to a barkeep is a nice way to earn money on the side. It can get a little tedious though.
    (TR)
    Elite Raiders and Twilight Alliance guilds
    Journal of an Experienced Newbie - Level 1 thru 10 - (Melee)