Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Waterworks Gauntlet

As a means of getting to know more fellow Ghallandans, Valhalla Permadeath Guild invites you to participate in our Waterworks Gauntlet.

The rules and an FAQ are posted at this link:
    http://valhallapdguild.proboards.com...ead=212&page=1

You must be a brand spanking new Lvl 1 to participate. Send any Valhallan a tell and they will invite you to their party. You will then go on the quest and we will be your biggest cheerleader.

You do NOT have to join our guild to participate, but if you live we may really ask you to do so! If you die, we will still be nice to you, and you will join the ranks of our glorious dead who have flown with the Valkyries one last time on this gauntlet.

Thus far no Valhallan has completed the Gauntlet.

It is not easy and is worth a look.

Happy Hunting!

KG
    Play as a TEAM: Together Everyone Accomplishes More

This sounds like fun! I just might have to give it a whirl.
    Arobot - Consummate - Katanee - Leatherneck - Tanaki - Thejusticar - Transcendent - Tufelhunden - Ultimatum
    Forsaken Souls Ghallanda

Thumbs up

This may be doable. I'm pondering trying this.

Edit: Tried on a WF Wizard & died horribly LOL. ( I know not the best to try with, but it was fun.)
    Last edited by Nevthial; 03-13-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Calamitous Intent***The Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by tchurvul View Post
    ...I even took his robe as a trophy. It's so comfortable..and it reminds me of the sweet sweet taste of victory. All who oppose me meet such a fate, so let it be a lesson to you.
    773-360

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default 1 question

I read the questions and answers but here is my understanding

Waterworks on Normal
    Run at 1st level ONLY, even if I could level.
    Slay all spiders. Take a snapshot of you at the chest or paste your combat log
    Kill Bloodletter
    Kill the Ogre which OGRE is the ogre? Is this the one where it is an ogre or a named ogre? Is this the ogre up the middle ladder?
    Kill at least one ogre

I complete quest and get my Black Widow Bracers.(wishful thought) or a +2 light mithril or +2 heavy mithril shield. No idea what the other selections are because if I choose them I sell them.

I can now level and use action points. I can now be 2nd level.
    I can buy arrows or crossbow bolts.(I would pray to find a returning weapon)
    I can buy spell components.
    I can buy a base weapon. Can a dwarf buy a dwarven axe? Could I even affford one?

Waterworks on HARD
    Same as above. No leveling during quest.
    Once again I finish on HARD and pull Black Widow Bracers or maybe even feather falling boots.

I can now level and use action points. I can be 3rd level.
    I can buy arrows or crossbow bolts.(I would pray to find a returning weapon)
    I can buy spell components.
    I can buy a base weapon. Can a dwarf buy a dwarven axe? Could I even affford one?

Waterworks on ELITE
    As above, better hope I pulled lightning resists and one or two curse removals or else I am S C R E W E D.

Now the next question, have I even ran the tutorial yet, or did I just do that on Risia? Oy vey.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Monster AI tends to be a limitation of the engine - smart AIs cause more server lag. Boy am I going to get quoted on that or what.
    I survived the scary events in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2011 did not reward those that played by the rules.

Hmmm, I may have to try this.
    Proud Officer and Official A-Hole of Clan of the Twilight on Ghallanda

Default A Wiz is doable

Edit: Tried on a WF Wizard & died horribly LOL. ( I know not the best to try with, but it was fun.)[/QUOTE]

Depending on what spells you have a wiz is doable. I think the toughest for lvl 1 is a rogue.

With a wiz you have that Korthos Wand and can call up a "lot of dogs".

As a WF you can self heal HUGE advantage.

I've tried this a few times and used

Paladin - doesn't work. Lvl 1 you don't get enough died part 1

Rogue - horrible tactics in the pre planning and got smoked. (There is preplanning ...sell the ember bow for a short bow etc ..you can buynormal gear prior to the venture. sell some tools etc for arrows) died part 1

Dwarven Cleric - did very well but was overwhelmed byBLoodleter area...not enough firepower to tak on the mobs.

WF ranger ...made to lvl 4 on normal. Used about 3000 arrows.....Kite Kite Kite

KG

Default The tutorial

If it is your first character on a server you have to do the tutorial...if not ...you go right to the WW

Remember, you can buy arrows and normal non magical gear ...do this by selling off some of the Korthos stuff. An ember bow is a prime example. No need for MW and flame with only 100 arrows. Sell it and buy 2000 and a basic wooden shield and LS or maybe a QS so you can two hand and melee kite.

Rangers get to charm animals...HUGE....It saved me from two of the wolves...doesnt sound big but they can hit lvl 1 untwinked toons hard.

Use every trick in the book. Target monsters...go back and range...sneak up reset ...sneak away and fire.
    Use perches. There are three places you can pull monsters back to on part one where they have a hard time to hit you.

Run nasties t hrough traps you can avoid by twitch skills....

Use every nasty tactic you can find. It does make it a LONG quest....but it is fun and doable. Part of the reason we are happy to group with you is because it is very long and as a solo that takes its toll- although playing it with the l ights out at night was pretty trippy and scary.. Look up any Valhalla officer and explain.. They "should" be happy to let you tag along in their group just for moral support.

Good luck.

is this also a very big xp mooching experience as well whereby you get your permadeath characters later into the xp pool by the work/challenge of others?

edit: I may or may not be interested...depends on the drudgery of wanting to actually level another toon....
    Last edited by Ranmaru2; 03-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

Default Xp

We don't join them in the quest. We allow them to enter our party as we are running other quests. This way if they have a question or just want to chat they can do so.

Our guild rules do not allow repeat of quests on same setting, and piking is also not allowed.

In other notes....
    Kobolder made it through the normal run and will run on hard at some time soon.

KG

Think im gonna do some practicing before i formally attempt this.

Seems like a really really cool idea and a great challenge! Of course I don't know if I can suppress my zerging nature for something like this lol

Default Practice

Zerging won't work. Ranging works.

So far a Ranger and a Sorc have made it all the way through to the second phase. My best shot was with a ranger also who got through Part III but pulled an ogre badly in part IV.

Feel free to go to Ghallanda and we'll join you in a group - although we don't enter the instance - to cheer your efforts on.

KG
    Last edited by KGWiking; 04-04-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Community Member DragoonPenguin's Avatar

this sounds like a friggin blast man!
    Ravensguard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA_MIKE View Post
    Diehard for the win.

Sry, this is all about poor AI. "Climb a ladder they made and kill them, they cant climb there own ladder." ETC. Not saying it isnt hard, but to be brought out as a challenge from a perma guild kind of defeats the purpose of perma.
    Ooglys Pet WF 18Wiz/2Rogue, Oogli 18 Bard/2Fighter, Ooog Ly 12 fighter/6 Ranger/2 Monk, Ogly 20th Cleric, Oogly 20th Rogue, Ooogly 20th Paladin, Oooogly 20th Fighter , Gallion 20th Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by oogly54 View Post
    Sry, this is all about poor AI. "Climb a ladder they made and kill them, they cant climb there own ladder." ETC. Not saying it isnt hard, but to be brought out as a challenge from a perma guild kind of defeats the purpose of perma.
    Ya, Oog, like you've never used cheese tactics.
    Sohryu ~ Raven's Guard ~ Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Traps in DDO don't actually deal damage, they politely ask your avatar to damage themselves.

Default Re

So .....using a height advantage is cheesy....okay.

I guess I missed that memo...

Ever here of the concept of making an enemy fight on the ground of your choosing ....
    It's a concept called...."tactics".

This is a hard challenge, and I've not been able to complete past part IV on normal actually.
    Congrats to those who do...in particular LA Mike who is the first I know to complete the series.... You can run in my group anytime!.....

KG

Quote Originally Posted by KGWiking View Post
    So .....using a height advantage is cheesy....okay.

I guess I missed that memo...

Ever here of the concept of making an enemy fight on the ground of your choosing ....
    It's a concept called...."tactics".
    Well go talk to the dev who changed A Relic of a Sovereign Past and then get back to me OR how about the frost giants in the white dragon's valley....
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

I didn't post the challenge to create a rash of my play style or any playstyle is better than yours. It was done to promote something a community could share in, and I shouldn't have replied the way I did. Perhaps you can see your initial reply was also a bit out of line, I hope so, if not no big loss.

If you don't think that this was an accomplishment or that the challenge is not worthwhile fine.

As far as I know this was the only successful attempt of about 30 that I know of. The overwhelming majority did not get out of normal part one - including a lot of players who typically only run very high level content.

Did you bother to try it? If so how did you fare? If not is there a reason?
    Also, maybe you should come up with a similar challenge in which the entire DDO community could participate.

KG
    Last edited by KGWiking; 04-04-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KGWiking View Post
    I didn't post the challenge to create a rash of my play style or any playstyle is better than yours. It was done to promote something a community could share in, and I shouldn't have replied the way I did. Perhaps you can see your initial reply was also a bit out of line, I hope so, if not no big loss.

If you don't think that this was an accomplishment or that the challenge is not worthwhile fine.

As far as I know this was the only successful attempt of about 30 that I know of. The overwhelming majority did not get out of normal part one - including a lot of players who typically only run very high level content.

Did you bother to try it? If so how did you fare? If not is there a reason?
    Also, maybe you should come up with a similar challenge in which the entire DDO community could participate.

KG
    Nah KG, it was too much of a challenge for Oogly, he couldn't bring his Wounding of Puncturing rapiers
    Sohryu ~ Raven's Guard ~ Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Traps in DDO don't actually deal damage, they politely ask your avatar to damage themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast