Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABBOT Month.

Nice plan Dog. Don't know how much I'll be on, but if you need an extra body, you know how to find me.

~Missy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Not to be rude or unruly, but it amazes me to think people have been around since the beginning of the game and are just now starting to LEARN the Abbott. The abbott is being beat regularly now, but the puzzles still all have to be beat and by skilled players. It takes dedication and practice to learn it. If it weren't for DDO Korea showing there videos I probably still wouldnt have completed. Please do not think that just because you have decided to START running it, you are going to be successful. I had to run that quest 50+ times before we succeeded, partly because everyone needs to know what they are doing, not just a couple of people.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool Dog got this rolling, I am just amazed it took some of you this long to try more than a hand full of times. I dislike when people keep their secrets of how to run something smoothly, it seems too elitist for me, but in this case I am all for it. This quest has been tough to learn and figure out and I actually have come to really like it because of the sense of accomplishment it brings when you finally figure it out. Don't shortcut your experience by having someone tell you exactly what to do; run it enough times so you can figure it out yourself.

Good luck.

P.S.
    If you think the puzzles are the hard part you have another thing coming.
    Ooglys Pet WF 18Wiz/2Rogue, Oogli 18 Bard/2Fighter, Ooog Ly 12 fighter/6 Ranger/2 Monk, Ogly 20th Cleric, Oogly 20th Rogue, Ooogly 20th Paladin, Oooogly 20th Fighter , Gallion 20th Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by oogly54 View Post
    Not to be rude or unruly, but it amazes me to think people have been around since the beginning of the game and are just now starting to LEARN the Abbott. The abbott is being beat regularly now, but the puzzles still all have to be beat and by skilled players. It takes dedication and practice to learn it. If it weren't for DDO Korea showing there videos I probably still wouldnt have completed. Please do not think that just because you have decided to START running it, you are going to be successful. I had to run that quest 50+ times before we succeeded, partly because everyone needs to know what they are doing, not just a couple of people.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool Dog got this rolling, I am just amazed it took some of you this long to try more than a hand full of times. I dislike when people keep their secrets of how to run something smoothly, it seems too elitist for me, but in this case I am all for it. This quest has been tough to learn and figure out and I actually have come to really like it because of the sense of accomplishment it brings when you finally figure it out. Don't shortcut your experience by having someone tell you exactly what to do; run it enough times so you can figure it out yourself.

Good luck.

P.S.

I see what you are saying but, I also think there are a lot of us out there who don't like to beat our heads against a wall when there is no hope of completing the quest (Pre fix). Also a MAJOR problem with this raid is the raid loot is practically worthless now that the Shroud is around.

Hmmm, do I want a banishing longsword that does an extra 4d6 damage or do I want a longsword that does 10d6 base damage and has the chance to hit for 600-700 points of damage..? Easy decision there I think.

The loot in this raid has been sooooo underpowered from the get go that it doesn't generate the interest to learn the puzzles. If there were crazy items in there, people would jump on it. but, since the loot is poor so is the interest.

That being said, I am sure you will find plenty of people that would like to see the inside of this raid. I, myself haven't ever run the thing, even though I have beaten everything else to death in this game... I am sure I could find a few guildies who are interested too.

One question though... Does the Abbott drop large scales???
    Leader and Officer of Charming for the
    Burning Legion - Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Strumpoo View Post
    I see what you are saying but, I also think there are a lot of us out there who don't like to beat our heads against a wall when there is no hope of completing the quest (Pre fix). Also a MAJOR problem with this raid is the raid loot is practically worthless now that the Shroud is around.

Hmmm, do I want a banishing longsword that does an extra 4d6 damage or do I want a longsword that does 10d6 base damage and has the chance to hit for 600-700 points of damage..? Easy decision there I think.

The loot in this raid has been sooooo underpowered from the get go that it doesn't generate the interest to learn the puzzles. If there were crazy items in there, people would jump on it. but, since the loot is poor so is the interest.

That being said, I am sure you will find plenty of people that would like to see the inside of this raid. I, myself haven't ever run the thing, even though I have beaten everything else to death in this game... I am sure I could find a few guildies who are interested too.

One question though... Does the Abbott drop large scales???
    When it comes to the loot I completely agree, it is almost all ****, save the trinket. But like you have said, nothing is too tough of a challenge anymore and we have all ran everything else to death. This seems to come every two months after the new material has gotten old. So if everything else is a bore and you have not ran a certain quest, especially a raid, why does it take some a year before they would try a quest. Why take someone else's word that it is unbeatable, when in fact it never was. The puzzles have been beatable before the "fix" but a method had to be created. The method has been by many people running it numerous times. Truthfully, I don't know what they changed in raid now from the beginning besides the astroids falling slower at the beginning, they are just as fast at the end. (oh the original death penalty was ridiculous, I will give you that, but that has been gone for 6 months) None of the puzzles require chat, as we have completed them many times with nobody talking. So that old argument is gone. I don't know, maybe I am worng, just amazes me most would not even try.
    Ooglys Pet WF 18Wiz/2Rogue, Oogli 18 Bard/2Fighter, Ooog Ly 12 fighter/6 Ranger/2 Monk, Ogly 20th Cleric, Oogly 20th Rogue, Ooogly 20th Paladin, Oooogly 20th Fighter , Gallion 20th Sorcerer

Yeah, Almost everyone in our guild is keyed up and ready to go for the raid. We just never had an interest. I think a big part was the loot list that was out ahead of time. We saw what was in there and decided our time would be much better spent running the Titan and Queen, and then Reaver. So we never got around to it as a guild..

We had a few individuals in the guild try it, they reported the bitter failures of the group and their frustrations and basically the guild wrote it off and moved onto "greener" pastures so to speak.

The problem is now that more people would be willing to try it, there is absolutely NO interest from the game population as a whole to run it. So filling a PUG is nigh impossible. I have seen Oddlived and the like with their LFM's up before I start a Shroud, then after I finish it is still up, then I run the Hound, finish that, and yep he is still filling the same group...

I think this is a good idea will get the "regular" players running it and then maybe we will see more interest in it from the PUGGIES.
    Leader and Officer of Charming for the
    Burning Legion - Ghallanda

Oddlived have that LFM up to REGROUP faster, we spent about 3-4 hr each night just to learn the puzzle rooms. This is not reaver/titan raid/vons/queen raid, if u get what I meant

YES. like oogly said *If you think the puzzles are the hard part you have another thing coming*

Most of uber gears we have is useless in this raid, to cut down the repair cost from die trying, some of us learn to run it nake :P

PS. if you are loot driven, dont waste time on this raid.

Cool no title

Good luck.

P.S.
    Im guilty of that oogs. (can i call you oogs?) I've not been here since the launch, but im guilty of skipping the abbot **** completely for greener pastures and better more usefull loot elsewhere.

The reason I went abbot month vs say a week, is that I know its going to take many many attempts to get it right. I'm not watching videos untill ive personally tried 20 times or so. With that being said, people can keep secrets, its no bother to me, won't ruin my 15 buck fun at all. To be honest I went 2 months as a cleric before I bought my first heal scrolls. I didnt know you buy hundreds and spam them. I'm a pnp player, where noone has 2 million scrolls to sell you as many as you like. So, information tends to stay and follow people, and gather people together to run abbot and pre abbot **** should help facilitate that info flow....

I'm more of the explain what needs to be done, then let me try to do it, untill I can't figure it out, then tell me how its done. So I agree with you there.....I'm not aiming for a quick beatin of the abbot, more like an understanding of the abbot, which takes time and energy.

w00t

-dog

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Strumpoo View Post
    Yeah, Almost everyone in our guild is keyed up and ready to go for the raid. We just never had an interest. I think a big part was the loot list that was out ahead of time. We saw what was in there and decided our time would be much better spent running the Titan and Queen, and then Reaver. So we never got around to it as a guild..

We had a few individuals in the guild try it, they reported the bitter failures of the group and their frustrations and basically the guild wrote it off and moved onto "greener" pastures so to speak.

The problem is now that more people would be willing to try it, there is absolutely NO interest from the game population as a whole to run it. So filling a PUG is nigh impossible. I have seen Oddlived and the like with their LFM's up before I start a Shroud, then after I finish it is still up, then I run the Hound, finish that, and yep he is still filling the same group...

I think this is a good idea will get the "regular" players running it and then maybe we will see more interest in it from the PUGGIES.
    if you are pugging parts of any abbot stuff use the codes in your lfm and that might help...if burning legion wants to help get people ready, and help with anything, let me know, and post what you can help with at our forum page.....sotn.guildportal.com

I think we still need someone who knows inferno well to show people whats up, gop and vol are covered, mebbe some fleshmaker runs too....

-dog

We all know that beating the abbott needs practice and dedication... prolly letting out of the way casual players!
    we all know that....
    What i want to know is how do you guyz are affected so far by the "goggle bug"?

It happend to us "les seigneurs de Karrnath" EACH AND EVERY FREAKING TIME because yeah people WILL die at trying! But how can you expect peoples to go on whit dedication when it bugs at first try, so what are you guys doin about it?

I dont want your so hardly gain tactics on how to complete these puzzles because we can learn it as well as any other BUT is their a way to "bypass" or to go on without being affected by the goggle bug?

p.s. just to make sure we are talking about the same thing what i call the goggle bug is when you die with the goggles on and you can`t log out and log back in plus the last player who stay with you in the group once you`re dead can`t leave group as well. basically we need a DM each and everytime.

I know these guyz at turbine will never fix it otherwise it would be by now.. so what are you guys doin to go around it?

X DDO QUÉBEC X

Goggles disappear on exit for the players that die and rez. It's the OTHER guy with them on that was guiding the runner that is the hang-up. Make sure the guider removes/destroys them before he/she recalls.

Otherwise that person and last person to break group are hosed.

Borr.
    Ghallanda - The a team
    Borrigain Gnollslayer : Lorraidyn Terrakaen : Philonius Purge
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfire View Post
    p.s. just to make sure we are talking about the same thing what i call the goggle bug is when you die with the goggles on and you can`t log out and log back in plus the last player who stay with you in the group once you`re dead can`t leave group as well. basically we need a DM each and everytime.

I know these guyz at turbine will never fix it otherwise it would be by now.. so what are you guys doin to go around it?
    Depends on if you make it past the chasm puzzle. 1) If you complete it and two people have the goggles you are pretty much hosed in my exp unless you win. I've spent about (17 times with goggles x 4 hours average fix time = 68) 68 hours where I was unable to play on my only character due to the bug. 2) Take off the goggles prior to running accross the chasm and destroy them prior to attempting to recall or fight the abbot if your partner fails and you are still alive.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

thanx for the advice you guyz!

X DDO QUÉBEC X

I'm in. Where are the LFMs? If you see my characters on: Margolie, Beaaar, or Bareskin, hit me up. The first 2 are fully flagged. Bareskin needs some sigil pieces and the 4 flagging quests.
    Margolie L16 Wizard Beaar L16 Fighter14-Rogue2 Beaaar L16 Cleric Gwynneth L14 Paladin10-Cleric3-Sorc1 Relle L16 Ranger15-Rogue1 Aluzia L7 Bard Bareskin Rugg L16 Ranger2-Monk2-Fighter2 Manbearpigg L12 Cleric10-Monk2

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfire View Post
    We all know that beating the abbott needs practice and dedication... prolly letting out of the way casual players!
    we all know that....
    What i want to know is how do you guyz are affected so far by the "goggle bug"?

It happend to us "les seigneurs de Karrnath" EACH AND EVERY FREAKING TIME because yeah people WILL die at trying! But how can you expect peoples to go on whit dedication when it bugs at first try, so what are you guys doin about it?

I dont want your so hardly gain tactics on how to complete these puzzles because we can learn it as well as any other BUT is their a way to "bypass" or to go on without being affected by the goggle bug?

I am confused as to what your issue is. The goggle bugs if you try to leave with the goggles on or die with them on, dont do that. Problem solved. FYI, we have not used the goggles at all in the abbott room, destroy them before going in there, although there may be a use for them, it is not nessassary to beat the abbott. Once they fix the goggles, IF, we can try to figure out there use, and there are obvious possible uses to them.

It would actually be cool if they added a randomly placed invisible platform area in the main room (overhanging the lava), so you could use the goggles to see the platform which would be out of the Inferno AoE. Not talking a phasing platform here. Of course you could also find it by throwing things around the perimeter.
    Casual DDOaholic

Good luck.

P.S.
    Let me see if I understand this correctly. Are you suggesting that because fo the effort you have put in, you now have knowledge that makes this a repeatable quest and that if you were to divulge that knowledge others would be able to complete it without the hours of practice? You are saying that it is not some amount of hand/eye coordination, server lag, or other issues that are keeping people from completing it regularly, but rather some piece of knowledge held close to the vest that is the reason this is not a regularly run completable quest??

I also was not aware that the elite version of this did not have the -10 to all stat penalty any longer? From all of the information I have seen is that the elite version still has all of the old 'if you die you are worthless to the raid' stuff in it. If that is gone, I would most definitely try this raid more often. I refuse to do this if my only hope is that I 'might' be able to complete on normal when there are so many out there that have this on elite through less than honorable means. Granted if there were less than honorable mean to complete this on Elite, I would do it in a heartbeat at this point.

I am all for having content that is not doable by the masses, especially on elite. However, I believe that it should continue to be the highest leveled content in the game. The chances of completing the raid should become better as the characters gain in experience, equipment, practice, whatever. So that this raid, being MOD 5, should be easier for a party of 12 to complete at levels 15/16, then say a Vision of Destruction quest on elite. However, we all know that it just isn't the case. Unless they either modify the raid or introduce some other game altering feature, the Abbot does not seem like it will be easier at level 20 than it is if I take level 12 characters in there.

I have spent at least 75-100 runs attempting this quest and it seems no more completable to me today than it did the first 5 times I tried it.

I only wish I had started it the first week it was released so I too could claim 'victory' over it.
    Favorhor, Rangedeath, Inthedark, Healemup, Axaleal, Hackemlow, Singasong, Intheback

Community Member

I am confused as to what your issue is. The goggle bugs if you try to leave with the goggles on or die with them on, dont do that. Problem solved. FYI, we have not used the goggles at all in the abbott room, destroy them before going in there, although there may be a use for them, it is not nessassary to beat the abbott. Once they fix the goggles, IF, we can try to figure out there use, and there are obvious possible uses to them.
    The use is for the chasm that the abbott casts, or at least used to. With the goggles on you can see and avoid it, however, hardly nescessary.
    bred of an Ice Flenser and a Djinni Ravensguard
    "You people are insatiable." - Tarrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodasch View Post
    I do, it's true. I have a stick figure drawing with the word "Coldest" drawn above it and an arrow pointing from the name down to the drawing...

My issue with the abbot is that it's just a plain boring raid.
    Been ready forever, tried it over 50 times (we did try a lot back with BCB), but it's just a frustrating and not fun experience.
    I don't kknow, i log on for fun mostly.

Default Work sux but...

I should be back to the game with more time than 1/2 hour in a couple of dayz....Work has me doing 12 hours days while being on call...

sorry about RL ****, by wed I should be back on task.

-Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Venar View Post
    My issue with the abbot is that it's just a plain boring raid.
    Been ready forever, tried it over 50 times (we did try a lot back with BCB), but it's just a frustrating and not fun experience.
    I don't know, i log on for fun mostly.
    I know how you feel, I personally have done it a million times before we got it down, but it payed off and has become an enjoyable raid. But just takes practice and patience and you will get it.

Officer - Ravensguard - Ghallanda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12