Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New & Returning Player Mentor Program

*** NOTICE TO EVERYONE ***

This thread has been adopted by Clay and will continue on in another thread. Please go to the link below:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=230838

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Levonestral; 02-14-2010 at 07:31 AM.
    Leader of The Madborn, Thelanis
    Searros, Kangaros, Xearos, Fearos, Tearos, Zenros, Rocknros, Rargasauros, Whilyros, Frostyros, Rosificer, Levonestral, Clankros, Stabbyros

i'm not sure when this program was first start but for as long as memory serves, one of our players, Mythe, have been helping and teaching new players since mid 2006. this was first in riedra and carried forward to khyber when the servers merge. lots of players have been helping out with the process be it helping physically or donating lowbie gear or plat. while your program is nice. i do hope that you can tie in with Mythe to follow up on his program rather than have a separate system

as for returning players, khyber is a wonderful community when pugging is our way of life. sure there are the nasty ones, but on average, most have been excellent. the players who lead pugs have been very gracious and generous in having an open mind to pugs. returning players can often hop on quests and raids without fear that they will be left out. most of the "stars" take time and effort to explain the details to them. so my question is, how is your program going to fit in? what is the purpose then?

no i'm not deriding your efforts but it seems to me that there is alot of duplication
    If you want to know why...

The newly formed YARK has begun a ''training acadamy'' that also mentors and helps where they can. You will find experianced players that are willing to answer question. Give gear an weapons, and lend a helping hand whereever they can. This has just launched so it is small at this point.

As you see by this thread...you have plenty help on Khyber to seek out. YARK would love to extend it's help to all those like Mythe an Levonestal, and other ''helpers'' among this thread.

Hi Aranticus,

It's great to see you guys have things already in the works on Kyber. I've added your comments along with the YARK guild to my main thread.

The purpose behind this thread is not to duplicate or replace any existing efforts, but to provide new/returning players a place in the forums where they can find a "starting point" for help. I have been in contact with Tolero and the idea is that these threads will be stickied so they will not be lost in the midst of other threads as to be server everyone needing help.

Hope this helps answer some of your concerns

Searros
    Last edited by Levonestral; 08-26-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    Searros, Kangaros, Xearos, Fearos, Tearos, Zenros, Rocknros, Rargasauros, Whilyros, Frostyros, Rosificer, Levonestral, Clankros, Stabbyros

Quote Originally Posted by Levonestral View Post
    Hi Aranticus,

It's great to see you guys have things already in the works on Kyber. I've added your comments along with the YARK guild to my main thread.

The purpose behind this thread is not to duplicate or replace any existing efforts, but to provide new/returning players a place in the forums where they can find a "starting point" for help. I have been in contact with Tolero and the idea is that these threads will be stickied so they will not be lost in the midst of other threads as to be server everyone needing help.

Hope this helps answer some of your concerns

Searros

so your mentoring program sticky is going to replace the unused mentoring program sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
    so your mentoring program sticky is going to replace the unused mentoring program sticky?
    Yes, that is the plan. In the 8-12-08 edition of the Stormreach Chronicle, Tolero mentioned that the mentoring program thread would be abandoned soon unless someone was willing to take it over. I've stepped up and am hoping to bring some life back into this program so that we as a community can make the new/returning player experience more enjoyable.

Searros

nah i just do not wish for Mythe's contribution to be forgotten. he is such an integral part of kyber that i think prolly why we have better pugs than most servers! lol

anyways, u can count on me for help, all my toons are listed in my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    nah i just do not wish for Mythe's contribution to be forgotten. he is such an integral part of kyber that i think prolly why we have better pugs than most servers! lol

anyways, u can count on me for help, all my toons are listed in my sig
    Awww shucks Thanks Aranticus. BTW he's a she You should drop by the Wavecrest sometime and by me an ale

Other servers have started a channel called help. I think this is an excellent idea and Mythe has started a help channel on Khyber. For newcomers reading this type /joinchannel help - ask a question and hopefully someone will be around to answer. It may take a few weeks but I intend to let every newcomer I come across know about this channel. Anyone who has time and patience to answer questions is welcome to join channel remember it may be a bit quiet at first until it gets going well.

Also I appologize if anyones mail has bounced back in the last 6-8 weeks. I've not been very well and have only been stopping in game to chat with my guild. Mythe is back at the Wavecrest again drinking all that ale the new ones are bringing up from the basement.
    Mythe
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Play what you want to play, and play it well.

Default Slasha As a Mentor !!!

Hey there, I've been dying in this game for the last two years, so I've at the very least I've picked up on how to survive most quests. I'd be delighted to mentor some newbies on Kyber. The problem is setting up a meeting time. I'm serious so I've included my email address (archidamus1@hotmail.com.au) or (archidamus1@hotmail.com) - - - try both. I suggest send email first and I'll arrange to be online when your punters or anyone wants to be taken on excersions I'll either generate new toon to help or log in with one of me oldies. I got toons at most levels up to me 16th fighter --> 'Agermendon the mighty' (retired). I got banks full to the brim with goodies to give away as well if they need it.

Kind Regards,

Gorsh
    (DnD Rule master - 52 year old PnP player & DDO player)
    Australian gamer

Not to intrude on your program... but this is truely something the guilds should be doing.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post

Not to intrude on your program... but this is truely something the guilds should be doing.
    actually not true emili, while my guild does not have open invites, we do ask unguilded players with a good attitude to join up. i'm really surprised by the number of players who choose to remain unguilded. if this programme is not in place, this would mean these players will remain "untrained". i do agree that guilds should have in place a training system be it to ensure their reps or to have better players, good and bad reasons. the problem is not all guilds are doing this for a multiple of reasons

ie established raiding guilds do not need a newbie mentoring program coz mostly experienced players join

ie some guilds (esp YARK) are already doing the rudimentary training to provide a constant flow of semi-experienced players

ie not all guilds are into powergaming, some are just an association of friends

ie not all guilds care, one particular guild come into my mind with only the desire to become large and "powerful" but consistently amaze me with the level of play (or the lack of)

If folks want to learn by watching, they can learn how not to die by not doing what I do in a quest...

-Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Quote Originally Posted by Hordo View Post
    If folks want to learn by watching, they can learn how not to die by not doing what I do in a quest...

muah hahahahahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    actually not true emili, while my guild does not have open invites, we do ask unguilded players with a good attitude to join up. i'm really surprised by the number of players who choose to remain unguilded. if this programme is not in place, this would mean these players will remain "untrained". i do agree that guilds should have in place a training system be it to ensure their reps or to have better players, good and bad reasons. the problem is not all guilds are doing this for a multiple of reasons

ie established raiding guilds do not need a newbie mentoring program coz mostly experienced players join

ie some guilds (esp YARK) are already doing the rudimentary training to provide a constant flow of semi-experienced players

ie not all guilds are into powergaming, some are just an association of friends

ie not all guilds care, one particular guild come into my mind with only the desire to become large and "powerful" but consistently amaze me with the level of play (or the lack of)
    I suppose you're correct, my typical suggestions on our guild invites are based on personality and attitude more then any other factor... experience is something simply gained by doing, which I tend to push guildies new to a quest into performing the actions rather then doing things myself, that way it sticks with them a tad better, aside from that am lazy
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Default Yark Yark

MAC's sister guild Yark has been on this for a few months now. It seems to work very well. Maybe you could join forces?

As always, the MAC members are welling to help. Be sure to tell those in need to stop a MAC member for details for YARK or if they just need a quick question answered.

All to serve one, for plat and or soul stones. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Talish View Post
    Awww shucks Thanks Aranticus. BTW he's a she You should drop by the Wavecrest sometime and by me an ale

Other servers have started a channel called help. I think this is an excellent idea and Mythe has started a help channel on Khyber. For newcomers reading this type /joinchannel help - ask a question and hopefully someone will be around to answer. It may take a few weeks but I intend to let every newcomer I come across know about this channel. Anyone who has time and patience to answer questions is welcome to join channel remember it may be a bit quiet at first until it gets going well.

Also I appologize if anyones mail has bounced back in the last 6-8 weeks. I've not been very well and have only been stopping in game to chat with my guild. Mythe is back at the Wavecrest again drinking all that ale the new ones are bringing up from the basement.
    To reinforce this, all new players are encouraged to /joinchannel help. Even the simplest tasks for someone who's been here for 2.5 years can be frustrating to a brand new gamer and there are no stupid questions on that channel...just stupid people responding! LOL (e.g. Hordo, Hordiva, Hordazzle, etc.)

Seriously, though, if you need anything from ansewring a question about what does an item do to how does one feat compare to another, this channel has very experienced and dedicated players who are willing and eager to help you out. We won't be shopping our guilds, or asking for anything in return either, just that you get the answer to your questions to your satisfacton. Well...you may have to buy Mythe an ale though!
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO

Quote Originally Posted by Hordo View Post
    To reinforce this, all new players are encouraged to /joinchannel help. Even the simplest tasks for someone who's been here for 2.5 years can be frustrating to a brand new gamer and there are no stupid questions on that channel...just stupid people responding! LOL (e.g. Hordo, Hordiva, Hordazzle, etc.)

Seriously, though, if you need anything from answering a question about what does an item do to how does one feat compare to another, this channel has very experienced and dedicated players who are willing and eager to help you out. We won't be shopping our guilds, or asking for anything in return either, just that you get the answer to your questions to your satisfacton. Well...you may have to buy Mythe an ale though!
    LOL Hey where's my ale???

Seriously. The help channel is expanding quite nicely. There are many very knowledgeable players who now monitor the channel. New players are being helped every day. I am actively trying to get the word out to those players who need this service.

Again if you are new to Khyber and have a few questions to ask please type : /joinchannel help

then use /1 MESSAGE to ask a question.

To players who do not have the time or patience to help new players you can help as well. If someone starts asking you questions tell them about the help channel. The channel not only helps new players but several established players still come into channel from time to time to ask questions about feats, enhancements or quests.

Finally thanks very much for those of you who are currently in channel helping out. Hordo owes you all an ale

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe View Post
    LOL Hey where's my ale??? Finally thanks very much for those of you who are currently in channel helping out. Hordo owes you all an ale
    Ales being served in Hordo's kitchen in a place called Collierville, Tennesse in a realm called Real Life. To collect your ale, contact Hordo!
    High Rabbi of DDO

All of my toons are willing to help new players! Unless I am running something at that time.
    I know Rangers and Sorcs better than anything else right now. I am learning Clerics with a new toon, not sure I like it tho.

Send Sroc and Ranger players to me and I will help them out any way possible.
    ??* Worth[R]Elf ??* Kittu[R/P]Dwarf ??* Alexo[S]Drow ??* Amida[R]Elf ??* Krsna[R/F]Warforged ??* vainangel[F/W]Human ??* Cundi[FvS]Drow ??* ♪♫.we are sarcastic.♫♪

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast