Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Unhappy Modifier Keys

MerceeSakes
    Community Member

Modifier Keys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone know if there is a command to make these keys work independantly? Like I use Mod Key #1 as Rt Cntrl then Mod Key #2 as Left Cntrl. But when I try to key-map my hot keys. Like Lft Cntrl 1 A then Right Cntrl 1 A. The 2nd one overwrites the 1st set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann_Shadow View Post

Edit: I went to the Xpadder home page and tried to download it there. They wanted $9.99 for the download and it would not proceed without paying. I went to the download page where it was offered free and downloaded it no problem. I am always leery of paying for something that can be gotten free. But, I don't mind paying for a product I get value from. Do you know if the Xpadder home page is legit? After all, it is a pretty common scam to get a domain name the same as a product and trap the unsuspecting.

TY
    Why are you downloading Xpadder? I'm not ever sure what that is (assuming a program for mapping the controller assignments)--I just used the in-game DDO keymapping UI.

Quote Originally Posted by MerceeSakes View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a command to make these keys work independantly? Like I use Mod Key #1 as Rt Cntrl then Mod Key #2 as Left Cntrl. But when I try to key-map my hot keys. Like Lft Cntrl 1 A then Right Cntrl 1 A. The 2nd one overwrites the 1st set.
    Uh, I'm not quite sure what you're attempting. If you mean that you're trying to make 2 separate modifier keys to triple the functionality (rather than double) of buttons, all I can say is that you can't do so with the DDO keymapping UI: it only seems to allow for a single modifier function that may be assigned to 2 keys, just like everything else. If you want to gain a second modifier you're going to have to work through a separate program (Xpadder I suppose, or perhaps the default software for your gamepad). I think Calebro may have mentioned this in one of his posts.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Why are you downloading Xpadder? I'm not ever sure what that is (assuming a program for mapping the controller assignments)--I just used the in-game DDO keymapping UI.
    I would assume because they are using a console game pad connected to their PC via USB rather than a USB gamepad meant for PC use. Those come with their own PC drivers, but game console controllers do not, so you need a third-party driver to get one recognized.
    I tried xpadder for my PS3 controller but it didn't work right. I think it's designed for XBOX. I used MotioninJoy instead, which is meant for PS3.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by prodONEg View Post
    I use this Saitek controller. With 6 face buttons plus the four hat positions I have 10 buttons - enough to address all of the buttons on a hotbar.
    That Saitek controller looks freaking filthy! With the Start/Select type buttons grouped with the other face buttons and the 8-way D-pad, I am drooling!

How accurate is the D-pad? I mean, is is actually 8 separate buttons, or is just emulating the analog axes and mashing two buttons at once when you press the corners?

Also, how comfy is it? I have small hands and I use this controller manufactured by Pelican (you can get them at Gamestop under the Gamestop brand). I love it because of the small size the unique L2 and R2 buttons placements.

That Saitek kind of looks like the old "Duke" XBOX pads! Is it smaller than it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by EruditeNight View Post
    That Saitek controller looks freaking filthy! With the Start/Select type buttons grouped with the other face buttons and the 8-way D-pad, I am drooling!

How accurate is the D-pad? I mean, is is actually 8 separate buttons, or is just emulating the analog axes and mashing two buttons at once when you press the corners?

Also, how comfy is it? I have small hands and I use this controller manufactured by Pelican (you can get them at Gamestop under the Gamestop brand). I love it because of the small size the unique L2 and R2 buttons placements.

That Saitek kind of looks like the old "Duke" XBOX pads! Is it smaller than it seems?
    I haven't actually played with the D-Pad's 8-way option, but I'll test it and let you know. Luckily xPadder has that as a configuration option, so it'll be easy to test quickly.

It's extremely comfortable. In fact, the L2 and R2 buttons are perfect for me because I have small hands. The L1/R1 buttons are small, but distinct. The L2/R2 buttons are larger and directly beneath the L1/R1, so it's VERY easy to use both with just one finger without hitting both by accident, letting me keep my other three fingers underneath (which is comfortable for me, as I assume it is for you by this question).

The Red button on it is designated as a FPS swap mode, but it's also map-able, creating an extra button on the face.

By the sound of your questions, I think you'll love it. Like I said, I'll try the 8-way and get back to you.
    Last edited by Calebro; 05-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    It's extremely comfortable. In fact, the L2 and R2 buttons are perfect for me because I have small hands. The L1/R1 buttons are small, but distinct. The L2/R2 buttons are larger and directly beneath the L1/R1, so it's VERY easy to use both with just one finger without hitting both by accident, letting me keep my other three fingers underneath (which is comfortable for me, as I assume it is for you by this question).
    Yes, exactly! As you can see from the pic of the gamepad I use now, I like it because I can keep my middle fingers on the R2 and L2 buttons while still keeping three fingers underneath the controller.

The Red button on it is designated as a FPS swap mode, but it's also map-able, creating an extra button on the face.
    Oh, that's just too much... That would be perfect for replacing one of my "too lazy for the mouse" keys like the Map/Quest/Inventory toggles I'm currently using on Start and Select.

EruditeNight is officially my new HERO! He just found me EIGHT new face buttons that I'd never noticed before!

Using xPadder (ymmv using official keymapping**, which I did not test**see below*) the 8-way D-pad is indeed 8 separate buttons instead of an emulation of both directions.

Four new on directional buttons on the D-pad & their modifiers makes Eight new buttons for me! I can't believe I never noticed that before.... It looks like I'll be figuring out a new configuration and getting rid of my second controller.

**logging in and testing now**

Official answer:
    Rats. In my initial testing it appeared to work properly. In actual gameplay it is in fact an emulation of both, regardless of DDO's official keymapping vs xPadder. The initial results (I thought) were distinct enough to differentiate, but I was wrong. It was fast enough to be deceptive to me, but it was in fact an emulation.

What I originally did was quickly map Hs^ to <mute>, Hs< to <email>, and Hs(diagonal) to <home> {yes, I use the controller for web browsing from my recliner sometimes}
    My audio software creates an onscreen mute visualization when muted, so I assumed that I'd have my answer depending on whether I went to email, home, or mute when that direction was pressed. Apparently the mute visualization disappeared before I had a chance to see it once it emulated the diagonal and my Home page appeared. It happened, but it was too fast for me to see it.
    In actual game play, regardless of whether xPadder was used or not, it always went Hs^ first.

In short.... no new face buttons x8.
    Last edited by Calebro; 05-06-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Community Member

EruditeNight is officially my new HERO! He just found me EIGHT new face buttons that I'd never noticed before!
    Woot! And then???

Official answer:
    Rats. In my initial testing it appeared to work properly. In actual gameplay it is in fact an emulation of both, regardless of DDO's official keymapping vs xPadder. The initial results (I thought) were distinct enough to differentiate, but I was wrong. It was fast enough to be deceptive to me, but it was in fact an emulation.
    In short.... no new face buttons x8.
    And then... all my hopes were DASHED!

Well on the upside, I did find this interesting post on a Guild Wars forum: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/g...tml?t=10210954

The screenshot of the software in the post seems to have an option for an 8-way D-pad. No idea if it works on any gamepad other than the 360. Edit: It also seems that the software mentioned in that post, Pinnacle Game Profiler, is $19.95, but has a 30-day trial.

I also came across this on a GW forum, about a different bit of software:

Originally Posted by MisterB
    As a matter of fact, I have been playing Guild Wars with a Dualshock2 since it was released, via controller to USB device(no driver needed) and a gamepad to keyboard/mouse freeware emulator. I can barely play the game without my controller, now; I find the keyboard too uncomfortable. I'm stubborn, that way.

The software I use: JoytoKey, allows up to 3 keys to bound to one button, so you can execute all the commands that Guild Wars uses(For example, you can bind Control+Shift+Spacebar to a button to call a target, if you want.), and you can assign a button to act as a trigger for combos via it's virtual gamepad function.For, example, I hold L2+ any other button to double the number of buttons I have available. I use L2+ D-pad and [] /\ O X for skills 1-8, as an example. With combo triggers like this, I have 45 keys available, but I only use 31, plus mouse cursor and wheel on the analog sticks.

The most recent dowload link for the software MisterB is talking about is here: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm

I haven't set about trying either of these yet, but I may give it a whirl this weekend.
    Last edited by EruditeNight; 05-07-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Community Member

Well on the upside, I did find this interesting post on a Guild Wars forum: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/g...tml?t=10210954

The screenshot of the software in the post seems to have an option for an 8-way D-pad. No idea if it works on any gamepad other than the 360. Edit: It also seems that the software mentioned in that post, Pinnacle Game Profiler, is $19.95, but has a 30-day trial.
    Well, I tried out Pinnacle Game Profiler and had no success with an 8-way hatswitch. I think I set the profile up correctly, but when I tried it in the game, I still had just the 4 directions. Not sure if this was because I was actually using a PS2 gamepad or if it was due to my own user error in creating the profile. Either way, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

Maybe someone with a USB Xbox 360 pad can try it out and see if it works. If it does, that would be reason enough for me to buy a wired 360 pad or an adapter for one of my wireless ones.

I still haven't tried JoyToKey, but when I do I'll report back.

Default Saitek P990 controller supports 8 different D-pad buttons

The good news is that I tried the Saitek P990 profile editor software and it does allow all 8 D-pad buttons to be mapped, and they all work in DDO.

The bad news is:

1. The way the diagonal buttons are made on the D-pad (the D-pad is one large button and the diagonals are all concave parts of it) I found it nearly impossible to reliably hit only a diagonal. I was constantly hitting one or both of the two main buttons near the diagonal I was trying to press.
    2. The Saitek profile editor does not allow either the analog or FPS buttons to be mapped like a regular button (at least not that I have found). It treats them as dedicated mode switching buttons for the controller, so you would lose two buttons Calebro.

So the 4 diagonals on the D-pad are not really usable.

If I could redesign the D-pad I would make it 9 separate buttons (up, down, left, right, center and 4 diagonals) that were close enough to be able to be used as a D-pad but with enough spacing to be easy to press separately. That would make 15 face buttons, and that would rock .

[*]The Saitek profile editor does not allow either the analog or FPS buttons to be mapped like a regular button (at least not that I have found). It treats them as dedicated mode switching buttons for the controller, so you would lose two buttons Calebro.
    Analog = no
    FPS = YES
    The Saitek profiler may not, but the DDO keymapping certainly does. I have that button mapped on mine. Twice if you count the modifier.

Try it again under the game's keymapping.

Default Not following you

Analog = no
    FPS = YES
    The Saitek profiler may not, but the DDO keymapping certainly does. I have that button mapped on mine. Twice if you count the modifier.

Try it again under the game's keymapping.
    I just figured out what you meant Calebro - wow. All this time I had no idea that the buttons on the pad were recognizable natively, i.e., without being mapped using a profiler. Wow.

I might need to rethink my control setup. At the very least I ought to be able to do what you suggest by just turning off my FPS button in the profile to get one extra button. For the rest I will need to tinker.

Thanks so much for opening my eyes .
    Last edited by prodONEg; 05-26-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Sorry Calebro but I'm not following you.

Because I use the Saitek profiler software for my controller keymapping, if I press either of those buttons on the pad it shifts my controller mode, which at best would just have all my buttons duplicated or, at worst, would shift them to a different map. Either way I can't figure out how to assign any "regular" key to either button, e.g., the "k" key.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the key mapping panel to assign buttons to a joystick. Do you have that? I run Vista and it sees my controller as what it is - a Saitek P990. Am I missing some additional integration that would allow me to map directly to the controller buttons in DDO?
    Well, I don't use the Saitek profiler (nor do I even have the software to test it) so I can't really comment on that. Can you disable the FPS button within that software?
    If so, disable it, then keymap it to whatever you want within DDO's keymapping.

With K as your example:
    Options > Keymapping > {whatever you wanted to map to K, let's call it Hotbar 2, button 4}
    Press {that} button on the left. A prompt will appear, telling you that the next button you press witll become that function.
    Press the button on the pad that you'd like to use for that function.

For the joystick, you're basically using the W, A, S, D buttons. Assign the movement that corresponds to WASD to ^v<> on the stick in the manner I described above.

Doing this will leave both the joystick and the keyboard active, as two options can be held for each function.

If that doesn't answer your questions, then maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I just figured out what you meant Calebro - wow. All this time I had no idea that the buttons on the pad were recognizable natively, i.e., without being mapped using a profiler. Wow.

I might need to rethink my control setup. At the very least I ought to be able to do what you suggest by just turning off my FPS button in the profile to get one extra button. For the rest I will need to tinker.

Thanks so much for opening my eyes .
    OK, cool. Glad to help!
    Yeah, I do use a profiler, but it's third party and has nothing to do with DDO or Saitek. I just use it because it has a few functions that I really enjoy. But it absolutely is NOT needed. It's a convenience for me, and nothing more.
    Last edited by Calebro; 05-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Edited slightly.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Any other players want to share their gamepad set-ups and preferences? I'll keep updating the front page with additional control schemes and such as people post them.

Community Member

Default a better way to use a gamepad than the OP's

I have been using a gamepad for PC games since the first programmable ones came out. IMO there is a better way than described by the OP. You use the mouse in your LEFT hand which allows you to use the gamepad one handed in the right hand. This gives you access to the right stick, the buttons, the right shoulder buttons and the start button without taking your hand off the mouse. The other gamepad controls can be used by either hand for functions that you aren't in a hurry to use like map, inventory and quest panels. I generally use the right stick for movement and turn or strafe and keep the mouse in mouse look mode. You will find that this arrangement will work in almost every game and untie you from the keyboard while retaining use of the mouse.

When I play games with a properly programmed gamepad I seldom have to use the keyboard and I have full use of the mouse. I've found mouse emulation on a gamepad to be unusable. I developed this style by luckily starting to use mice left handed. One of the reasons I started using the mouse in my left hand is that the number pad is on the right on a keyboard and I used this frequently at work as an engineer. I first used Saitek programmable joysticks because they are right handed and then I found out that a gamepad can be used one handed in the right hand, where most of the controls are.

I am currently using a Logitech rumblepad. If you use the Rstick to move you have access to the right shoulder buttons and the Rstick button while moving.

My current configuration is:
    Rstick: move forward, back, strafe (mouse in mouselook to move where you want)
    Rstick button: cycle weapon set
    button1: 1
    button2: 2
    button3: 3
    button4: 4
    Rshoulder 1: push to talk
    Rshoulder 2: jump (you need to jump while running)
    left POV: map, quest, inventory
    Lstick button: login password
    pause (9): 5
    start (10): 6

The only disadvantages to this set up are that you only have quick access to quickbar numbers 1 to 5 but you can still use the keyboard when necessary. You can also use start (10) to shift to a second set of button commands if you want.

You are probably thinking that switching to using the mouse in the left hand is going to be tough. You'll find that it won't take very long at all, you should be able to get comfortable in a few hours. If you decide to do this you might want to consider a permanent switch to make things easier. I think you will find this better than the OP's method and MUCH easier than the keyboard.
    Last edited by psikick; 01-27-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Interesting.

Why don't you care for the mouse emulation on a gamepad? The slower cursor speed?

Other than that, I'd imagine that just using a gamepad would be easier than this hybridized set-up, but everyone has their own preferences, which is why I have the links section at the end of the OP.

I will note, though, that on the Logitech controller, and similar hardware, you could use the mouse with either your left or right hand, since the gamepad is basically symmetrical. The D-pad arrows correspond to the 4 face buttons on the other side of the controller, and everything else is positioned the same with respect to grip.

I'll request that you edit the title of your post, though, Psikick, as there is no better or worse way to play a game.

I'm encouraging people to post their own set-ups as a way of giving players considering using a gamepad for the first time, or looking to enhance their usage, some options and food for thought, not outright insistence, which is what the tone of your post comes down to.

Some players prefer mouse and keyboard. Some mouse and joystick. Some gamepad. Some use something entirely different. No one way is better than the rest for each individual.

Community Member

I used this thread about a year ago and I'm never going back to a mouse.

I set up a playstation2 remote and love it. I had to buy an adapter off ebay that was dirt cheap. I'm able to use 6 hotbars. Which I never thought was possible at the beginning.

My biggest issue is setting up the MMO interacts. I cannot find a setting that will open portals and click on collectables and select text.. It seems like I can only set it up to do one or the other.. I used to be able to (I think) then when I got a new pc I had to redo everthing and maybe I set it up wrong. Hope that makes sense.

Any thoughts on that??
    Thorgred, Cavitycreep, Creeploaf, Creepingdoom of Thelanis. Member of C-L-A-W

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast