Default Khyber D&D 4.0 (PnP) poll

Just curious how many Khyberians are going to switch to or start playing PnP D&D 4.0 rule-set. Just got mine and am learning the differences and plan on playing some once the online toolset is in place and I'd like to play with some other Khyberians I'm used to playing with in DDO. So plz post and we all can keep in touch. I live in the Portland, OR area if there are others who would be interested in meeting (send PM) for a real PnP session also..

Arealdy in one home game game under 4.0, doing the first mod they released, a second planned to start up soon for series form the magazine... And will Play Living FR when it gets started up... mmm Gamming ... Will still have one 3.5 campaine running thorugh a big mod to
    Prophits of the New Republic-- Khyber--PnP Vetren of more years then I wish to admit
    Desteria MoonStar-Sorc20--Mcgruf The Crime Dog-Dwarf Ftr12/Pal3/Rgr5
    Annibelle of the Woods-Rgr20--St.Fut H'Tennek-H-Orc Barb 20
    Kwaiii Chang Caine-Monk 20--Sandradee-Bard 3

Community Member

Tonight our PnP group is playing our second session of a 4.0 campaign. Four of the six of us play DDO on Khyber.

We have three other campaigns in process -- two 3.5 and one DC Heroes. I think everyone is avoiding the question of how the two 3.5 campaigns will be impacted.

Ink

Thumbs up 4th Ed.

Hey Litz,
    We got the 4th edition books as soon as they came out and were playing with some online quickstart info even before that.
    We've got a full up weekly(ish) game already going but will be doing some odds and ends throughout the Summer.
    Oh yeah, I'm SE Portland. Loved the thunderstorm yesterday!
    There are some pretty big differences from 3.5 but it's been a heck of a lot of fun!
    Phortinbras
    Kelly's Heroes
    On Khyber
    Up with People! Down with Sanity!

I checked out and played 4.0 in the recent world D&D event and left very unimpressed. Really the whole game seemed dumbed down, there is less difference between classes, etc. If 3.5,3.0 etc, didnt exist 4.0 would be worthwhile, but they do so why play 4.0? It is an MMO masquerading as d&d, but I doubt it will attract a new group of people to pnp because alot of those people that 4.0 tries to attract would rather play video games then sit around a table and roll dice and scribble on a paper. It will also not attract a huge segment of people like myself who currently play 3.5 because we will feel 4.0 is dumbed down and would rather play 3.5...
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 06-30-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I checked out and played 4.0 in the recent world D&D event and left very unimpressed. Really the whole game seemed dumbed down, there is less difference between classes, etc. If 3.5,3.0 etc, didnt exist 4.0 would be worthwhile, but they do so why play 4.0? It is an MMO masquerading as d&d, but I doubt it will attract a new group of people to pnp because alot those people that 4.0 tries to attract would rather play video games then sit around a table and roll dice and scribble on a paper. It will also not attract a huge segment of people like myself who currently play 3.5 because we will feel 4.0 is dumbed down and would rather play 3.5...
    But what about the dumbed down people like me? We need a PnP rule-set too.. lol j/k You can very well be right. I just want to give it a shot. I don't like the fact there isn't sorcs, bards, monks, druids and some other things, but maybee like DDO its sloted to be a expansion thing.. The great thing about PnP is you can make the game into what you want instantly.. No need for months of wait for a patch day..

Not likely, unless my old tabletop gaming group (currently playing DDO due to having moved away from each other) decides to switch to the online version of 4.0. That is, of course, if the online tools ever get released...

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I checked out and played 4.0 in the recent world D&D event and left very unimpressed. Really the whole game seemed dumbed down, there is less difference between classes, etc. If 3.5,3.0 etc, didnt exist 4.0 would be worthwhile, but they do so why play 4.0? It is an MMO masquerading as d&d...It will also not attract a huge segment of people like myself who currently play 3.5 because we will feel 4.0 is dumbed down and would rather play 3.5...
    QFT

Our gaming group will NOT be making the switch. We like 3.5 well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Thac0 Ftw
    If you want to know why...

Community Member SteeleTrueheart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    That is, of course, if the online tools ever get released...
    If they do I will definitely play online more.

And since RPGA is switching to 4.0 then I was forced to crumble. My 4.0 books have just been sent by Amazon... but there is no way I am going to buy many splat books. I will just buy core and make do.
    Khyber - Officer in The Stormreach Thieves Guild
    Steeles (TR 1 Paladin 20 / 8 Epic - TWF) - Steeley (Monkadin - Pal 18/Monk 2/ 8 Epic - Unarmed) - Steeltruhart (TR1 Paladin 17 - S&B Bastardsword) - Steelforged (Pal 20 / 8 Epic - SWF) - Steeltruhurt (TR1 - Pal 8 / Ftr 2 - THF) Steelsouls (Clr 17 / Pal 3 /8 Epic)

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I will be, but not totaly sold on it and wont stay with it if the insiders with the virtual table doesnt work out as my old group hopes to use this to allow us to play together again. I ran one of the game days and it went ok, I really hate what they have done to casters and clerics I mean people were screaming they wanted vancian casting gone but this is almost the same but gives us less in my mind. The game is a bit simpler to play and I do like combat now but it really is basicly a new game now.

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Not likely, unless my old tabletop gaming group (currently playing DDO due to having moved away from each other) decides to switch to the online version of 4.0. That is, of course, if the online tools ever get released...
    Yeah if that doesnt work out I wont stay with 4E as its just doesnt feel fully like dnd not that its bad its just diff.

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    Thac0 Ftw
    Always hated thac0 and thats a fact. When I do run ad&d I use the 3.0-3.5 ac rules and spontanous casting for clerics.

Beware the Sleepeater

Default changes

Quote Originally Posted by Uska d'Orien View Post
    I will be, but not totaly sold on it and wont stay with it if the insiders with the virtual table doesnt work out as my old group hopes to use this to allow us to play together again. I ran one of the game days and it went ok, I really hate what they have done to casters and clerics I mean people were screaming they wanted vancian casting gone but this is almost the same but gives us less in my mind. The game is a bit simpler to play and I do like combat now but it really is basicly a new game now.
    Yeah, it really is a new game. The thing I noticed first is that the casters and clerics don't have the long lists of spells or at least the potential to cast a wide variety of spells. In battle it doesn't feel quite as different since we tended to have the spells we would have cast anyway. We're still 1st level so I'm curious to see how the utility powers (spells) and rituals will fill out the abilities for the casters. It is a lot more streamlined when it comes to combat and you can have some truly transcendent rounds where it feels like you change the whole battle with just a few actions.
    Just my 2 coppers... More to come I'm sure.
    Phortinbras
    Kelly's Heroes
    On Khyber
    Up with People! Down with Sanity!

Community Member

Reporting back in after the second session mentioned above:

Last night we had a very large fight -- ~30 versus 5 heroes. The 30 were roughly 3 waves -- 10, 15, and 5, all one encounter. Early in the second wave, we saw that we could be flanked from a second entrance we had overlooked, and split our party into 3 and 2 to protect ourselves and flank the enemy instead. It turned into a chess match. The villains and the heroes split into two groups trying to outmaneuver each other. It was a fun battle that turned out to be a lot more dynamic than any of our 3.5 battles. The battle turned on tactical position and the heroes' ability to control attacks and movement (through marks).

So far I am enjoying the change. What I like is that there are no marginal roles. In our 3.5 campaigns, we have basically 2 damage dealers and everyone else's role fades to the background. In 4.0, the tactical importance of space and movement seems much more relevant, and everyone plays a part.

Ink

I too have been trying out 4th edition, I do agree that it has been over simplified but in todays gaming market not many new to gaming folks want something complex. I am about to run our 3rd game in 4th edition and to quote the post above mine, it is sorta like an advance chess game with neat pieces that have different powers. My group went together and bought a wash and wipe mat that has a graph on it so we can play with the whole square rule. That made it more into a board game but don't get me wrong, it was fun. I am still not sure if I am going to buy it since I have spent so much on 3rd edition (I have a complete set of core stuff including all official campaign settings), but who knows maybe I will bow down in time. Especially if my group has fun and willing to chip in on it.
    Draz in all forms of the Prophets of the New Republic and Lava Divers / Khyber Original / R.I.P. E. Gary Gygax 03/04/08 / Supporter of the AEA / Owner of 4 birthday cupcakes Thank you Cupcake /Drazell Bergost leader of the Khyberian Ham Authority / Support your local Qwijymart!

Already into our 4.0 campaign as well...
    Riott Ad Infinitum ~20 Fighter ~ 67 AC unbuffed ~ "Riott, AC Intimi-Tank Build"
    Founder of the Twilight Avengers ~ Khyber Server ~ Owner of the Ultimate Gaming Table
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the rest of the day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life."