Thread: Dual Wielding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dual Wielding

If I use a Longsword in my main and a shortsword in my offhand will that affect me in a bad way? Im a elf ranger. Dex Based.

If by dex based you mean high dex low strength then yes. The longsword is not finessable so it will use your strength bonus for to-hit rather than dex.

Shortsword as an off-hand weapon is fine though.

well my base strength with no Rams might or any other items is 14 and my base dex is 19

Quote Originally Posted by ltrambo85 View Post
    well my base strength with no Rams might or any other items is 14 and my base dex is 19
    Then i'd recommend maxing out your dexterity and using finessable weapons only. That's all light weapons and the rapier (rapier in main hand only for best to-hit bonuses)

Edit: This requires the Weapon Finesse feat in case you don't know that already.

Yeah i plan on getting that at lvl6 I hope. Isn't that when I get the chance to pick it again?

Yeah i plan on getting that at lvl6 I hope. Isn't that when I get the chance to pick it again?
    Should be. What feats have you already taken? People usually take that early on, so wondering what you took instead.

Community Member

If I use a Longsword in my main and a shortsword in my offhand will that affect me in a bad way? Im a elf ranger. Dex Based.
    A few things wrong with that, nothing too major necessarily:
    1. Longsword doesn't work with dex. If your dex is a lot higher than strength, you should be using rapiers or shortswords and get the Finesse feat.

2. Longswords are inferior to rapiers. Even if your strength is higher, a rapier does better damage.

3. Longswords are slash and shortswords are pierce, which means the feats that would boost one don't boost both. Primarily that means Imp Crit, which you'll want after 8th level.

In short: use rapiers instead of longswords!