Thread: A Lv of Rogue?

Community Member LordEricoftheDragons's Avatar

Question A Lv of Rogue?

Hey guys thinking of scrapping my ranger and starting over. Thinking of starting as a rogue for lock picking trap busting skills and extra damage from sneak attacks. Just wondering what you guys think of taking a lv of rogue over a full ranger.

That's the route I took the second time around. Just make sure to take rogue at level 1 for the skill points. I played a ranger to 10 and rogue to 14, before I made my build, so it's probably pretty solid. The trickiest part is fitting in all of the equipment bonuses you need. If you need some suggestions, let me know.
    Last edited by Sani Medicor; 05-05-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Community Member LordEricoftheDragons's Avatar

Hey I need some suggestions on how to manage the equipment like you said in the last post.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEricoftheDragons View Post
    Hey I need some suggestions on how to manage the equipment like you said in the last post.
    Googles are your ally. Hotswapping them affects your Spot, Search and Disable Device in that order. Rings are a good choice too.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Talking About 1 Rogue Level

Definitely consider UMD as a skill also if you can fit it in with that one level of rogue. With possible access to some Tier III charisma skills greensteel gogs you could be getting close to a low-fail rate on a heal scroll or self greater heroism / true seeing, etc.
    Current Project: Cercivesoul Uzuaki 17 Fav. Soul / 2 Monk / 1 Fighter
    Cersivsoul Uzuaki 20 Fav. Soul
    "Spreading ignorance and chaos among the forum community."

Community Member Larhanya_Theliel's Avatar

If the opinion of a forum newb counts for anything, :-P I love my Rogue 1/Ranger 11 precisely for the reasons you mentioned: trapsmithing, lockpicking, and those lovely extra damage numbers when close enough to get a sneak (Larhanya is a ranged ranger; she recognizes that she would have more sneak attacking if she wasn't).

My only regret? I didn't know a thing about UMD when I rolled Larhanya and I'm too attached to her to ever reroll her! But as Xithos said, it might be a handy thing to have.

As for equipment, I second the goggles suggestion and can only say that I am in raptures about the advent of quivers!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sani Medicor View Post
    That's the route I took the second time around. Just make sure to take rogue at level 1 for the skill points.
    That is not necessarily a good idea. It depends on your intelligence, race, and what skills you actually want: do you only need UMD, or also Disable Device and Open Locks?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    That is not necessarily a good idea. It depends on your intelligence, race, and what skills you actually want: do you only need UMD, or also Disable Device and Open Locks?
    Rogue at level 1 not necessarily a good idea?

It does not depend on your intelligence, it's only amplified by your intelligence.
    It does not depend on your race. Skill points don't change for 1 race over another.
    It does not depend on what skills you want. More is always better. What's so hard about that?

It might depend upon the monkey-at-the-keyboard's intelligence, but Rogue at level 1 if only 1 level is being taken is ALWAYS a good idea.

I challenge you to come up with 1 logical argument why a build's single Rogue level should not be at level 1.

Default took my rogue level @ 2

Built her as a ranger rogue she is now level 10 ( ranger 1 rogue) with spot and search goggles and a dd ring she trapsmiths very well on par with anyone at level. I just max out search spot dd and umd at every level up. Rolled her as a drow as hadn't unlocked 32 point builds on my main. with a +2 strength tome and 3 +1 tomes her lowest stat with +6 items will be 18s. I am very happy with her thus far for what she is meant to do shes perfect (ranged umd trapmonkey) just a bit squishy for tanking/zerging but playing a caster as my main I'm used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post
    It does not depend on your race. Skill points don't change for 1 race over another.
    ...unless you're human

Although I do agree with your point

Quote Originally Posted by cm2_supernova View Post
    ...unless you're human

Although I do agree with your point

Some races get some minor adjustments to skills... Dwarves get a +2 to search, IIRC. There are others, but can't think of them right off the top of my bald spot. Halflings and elves have some roguish bonuses of some sort....

Not enough to base a build on, but there are a few differences race-wise.

Opinion: One use for a rogue splash is getting access to extra places/chests that are locked - especially true if you plan to solo/duo much. Blends well with ranger class skills, so aren't gimping your main skills to do it. The extra number of skill points for first level rogues are nice.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member Larhanya_Theliel's Avatar

Larhanya as Elven Rogue 1/Ranger 11 does only duo (!) with my husband's Dwarven cleric 11/paladin 1. It's good times. We can get through pretty much any quest that doesn't require more than two people (or two people + a couple summoned pets) because she can open doors and disable traps. Larhanya is like The10man's build, though: a little squishy. If I can't "fell my target before it reaches me" (shoutout to old AC players), then I pull out the rapier and shield so I don't get hacked to bits. Cleric hubby doesn't appreciate squishy elf doing TWF.