Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Having gotten a chance to skim over some of the books already...

There is a fair bit of mis-information in some of these posts reguarding specifics of the game. Not that it matters much in terms of the spirit of the thing.

What I don't quite understand is how any particular version of D&D make people play much differently than any other version of D&D. You can play any version with ot without minies and you can get as complicated or simple as you like in any version of D&D depending on your tastes.

Personaly my memories of childhood D&D are that it was pretty lame most of the time as folks hardly role played and were mostly jut keen on getting XP and treasure for thier characters so they could claim to beat up someone elses character by virtue of their vorpal sword of life stealing etc...

I think a lot of people kind of agrandize the days of youthfull RP. We all used to get a big thrill playing asteroids and donkey as well. Try sitting down to those for a few hours today and see how thrilling they seem. Were all pretty spoiled by generaly better games, but we often look back with nostalgia at the older ones.
    Former Host of DDOcast
    Member of The Madborn of Thelanis
    Streaming sometimes on twitch as SigTrent

Relic of the Last War
    Scholar of Adventure
    Founder

Post 1 Day Left

I agree about the nostalgia, sigtrent. Totally.

I do have to say you might not have played with the right groups of people involving RP. I've played RP table top games with people from every sector. Power-Gamers w/Loot Lust. Skilled Tacticians. Explorers and Wanderers with no idea how to truly play but wanting to check it all out. Those who like to create strife in the party as it is their own entertainment to make everyone else ****ed off for the rest of the game. And then there are the people that actually stay in character and don't metagame. It's pretty cool when you find mixes of these things.

My favorite adventuring groups were role-players with skilled tactics, exploration, power-gamers and character-maxers. When a person can balance all of these things and maintain their character's "pesonality, role and objectives," then you've actually got a very good player entertaining the rest of the group.

I was lucky to play with a group of guys my age that have their names in the credits of many-a-Shadowrun material publication (like the core rulebooks), so they were a blast as people and characters. I never felt like we were simply after loot or power or metagaming. It was all very balanced interaction and revolved around a plot and goals.

Ahh, I'm off my soap box.

1 Day until Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition is released!

Default 4th edition dnd

Well I have my 4th edition phb and I am not so impresed, 1 of my friends loves it, 1 other friend is not so excited as min max is hard to do now. Play testing it myself will see.
    limited edition founder# 2692
    just be happy with DDO and play or don't play I don't care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12