Default Win Vista/Geforce 8800 GT 512mb issues

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem w/ Vista and Geforce 8800 GT 512?

I can play DDO for about 30-40 minutes then the screen freezes and the sound loops. Basically have to unplug the PC ctr-alt del doesnt seem to work.

I dont know if it is the video driver or audio or something else?

I am reinsalling the OS and all drivers. As a precaution when I get that system back up I plan to add a second hardrive running XP. Have had no issues with XP but have not run XP yet w/ the new card.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Customer Service Representative

Posting a full dxdiag would help the most but please make sure you either reset the graphics options via the launcher or delete the userpreferences.ini file from my documents>ddo before playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Altumus View Post
    Posting a full dxdiag would help the most but please make sure you either reset the graphics options via the launcher or delete the userpreferences.ini file from my documents>ddo before playing again.

Altumus are you saying I should delete usepreferences from My Document?

Appreciate everyone's comments. I do not have an 8880 GTX or GTS. Just an 8800 GT 512.

My problem is solved I think. My game at least after playing intensively for an hour doesn't lockup like it used to i.e. screen locks and sound loops.

Here is what I did. I removed the user preferences ini from my launch folder. I also change the game engine speed from extremely hi to just medium. I switched power supplies and went from a 650 Toughpower Thermaltake to 850 Antec TruPower Quattro.

I suspect the PSU was not the issue as both PSU's are modular with 3-4 rails. I think the issue was that the game engine speed was set too high. Vista Home premium w/ Service Pack One for whatever reason has issues w/ game engine set to extremely high.
    Also before I toned the game engine speed down I downloaded a more recent driver from the EVGA website and my system still crashed. But, after lowering the game engine speed the crasing seems to have stopped.

just wondering where you found the game engine options?

true, I would be interested in that myself as I run vista too, would like to see what kinda diff that made in my sys performance in-game
    QTip Jones (20 Cleric) Nestorious 2.0 (20 Fvs) Eulogist Delivered (11 Rngr)

Quote Originally Posted by tolana View Post
    just wondering where you found the game engine options?
    Click on Options then select Troubleshoot--> then select your engine speed.

I solved the problem real fast yesterday: Just returned the card. Will never buy another one of these.

I have had odd lockups that resemble what you are having, but it only seems to happen once. After a reboot, DDO will work fine for hours. I can have the computer on for 5 minutes before going into DDO, or 5 hours and roughly 30mins or so in it locks up. Then reboot and it's fine. It's also only DDO, no lockups in other games at all.

XFX 780i Motherboard
    Intel Q6600 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz
    2GB OCZ PC6400 Memory
    XFX GeForce 8800 GT "Alpha Dog" w/512
    750GB Hard Drive Space (Pair of Seagate Drives)
    Antec NineHundred Case
    OCZ GameXtreme 850watt SLI-Certified Power Supply
    Windows Vista 32bit

Think it has anything to do with the obsolete Net Framework 1.1 that DDO requires to run?

Community Member

A lot of the 8800 GT's have their fan set to run at 20%. I was having problems similar to the OP's until I got Rivatuner and manually increased my fan speed before starting DDO.