Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need some opinions...

Ok so my very first toon is a fighter. I am now lvl8 and my HP is only at 124. I was told that toughness helps raise HP but now I am afraid because I didn't choose the feat at an earlier level that I have to live without it. If this is so, is there anything I can do to boost HP or should I re-roll this one and chauk it up to a lesson learned? Any input is helpful.

Oh yeah, my CON is only at like 15 base but my STR is 20+. I think that is where I went wrong.

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

If you've a 15 base CON then you should be sitting good Id imagine.

A few things you gotta get before screaming reerollz!! A CON item. At 8 you can wear a plain jane +3 CON item
    to put you to 18 CON. You can get a false life item, adding +10 HP's (or maybe even 20 HP's at level 8, not sure.)
    At higher levels you can get yourself a +30HP item. Minos Legens will give you another +16HP's. A +1 CON tome
    will set you to 16 base, later on a +6 CON item will bump that to 22.

Toughness can be swapped out for another feat at any time. Speak to the mindflayer Fred, under the garden in
    House J. Bring a stack of cash and a dragonshard though.

Ive never had a fighter, but a base 15 CON seems to be a very good number to start with.
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

My base CON right now at level 8 is 15. I have a couple +1 CON items but they don't appear to stack like I thought they would. But anyhow, Fred can swap out the feat for me? I would think that when I leveled last night I would have been able to aquire the Toughness feat I so desperately want/need? I will have to check tonight. Thanks for the input!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoxxa View Post
    My base CON right now at level 8 is 15. I have a couple +1 CON items but they don't appear to stack like I thought they would. But anyhow, Fred can swap out the feat for me? I would think that when I leveled last night I would have been able to aquire the Toughness feat I so desperately want/need? I will have to check tonight. Thanks for the input!!
    Like bonuses do not stack. No matter how many con items you have on, only the highest bonus will apply. As to the toughness feat: It applies its bonus retroactively. It doesn't matter what level you take it, you still get the same bonus. As to why you couldn't take it when you leveled to 8. It is not a fighter bonus feat. You can only take a feat from a small class list on the even levels. Your next opportunity to take toughness will be at level 9.
    Guildless-Khyber

Lendra/Lendraa/Mordachi/Deathsong and assorted other gimps

My fighter was relying on AC for the build so I gimped con. Started with a 10 or 12.. This is a 28 point build. At lvl 16 I have just a 18 con, but with several layers of toughness I hit 460 hp (including the 30 from GFL). At times I wish I had more HP, but then I get my rez and I forget about it.

Not having a super uber amount of hitpoints is actually overcomeable. The first thing you will want to do is get lots of healing pots. The more you heal yourself, the less anyone will care how many hitpoints you have as long as it is >0. I would also try to maximize any defensive capabilities you have, ie. AC, DR, Dodge, Increase HP otherways, Elemental Guard, Fearsome, etc etc.

As previously stated, there are still lots of ways to get your hitpoints. When you take toughness doesn't matter, as I know, you still the 15+3/level. (As if you had it from the beginning). As a fighter it is always a feat worth taking, imho (it won't hurt you to have it).

Rerolling is not out of the question (like if you put lots of points into wisdom for will save or int for skill points and would rather have them in con now). I had to reroll my barbarian 3 times before I got him "right." Even then, if I had it to do over, I would change a few things. You can now respec feats and enhancements. This makes builds a lot more flexible than when you selected a feat that was it, or you only had 4 enhancements to choose from and couldn't change until your next AP. So with that said, I wouldn't rush to reroll until you try changing somethings around. I would reroll when you find there is no way to get around what you've done without it.

Also, I know it has probably taken you some time to get to level 8. However, you can reroll or roll another fighter and get back to level 8 a lot faster the second time around. This is especially true if you have experienced players/guildies running you through things you know really fast.

Edit-If you have anymore questions, feel free to look me up in-game and I can help you!
    Last edited by Citymorg; 04-14-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoxxa View Post
    Ok so my very first toon is a fighter. I am now lvl8 and my HP is only at 124. I was told that toughness helps raise HP but now I am afraid because I didn't choose the feat at an earlier level that I have to live without it. If this is so, is there anything I can do to boost HP or should I re-roll this one and chauk it up to a lesson learned? Any input is helpful.

Oh yeah, my CON is only at like 15 base but my STR is 20+. I think that is where I went wrong.
    Hmm, you should have a +3 Con item by now, from tangleroot if nothing else. That gives you +4 HPS/level.

You should have 20+80+32 = 132. So, you are about right. What is your race?
    Indel
    Athealas - L20 Dr Cl, Indel - L20 Elf Rngr(ranged), Zirak - L20 Dw Barb(2WF), Axen - L13 Dw Barb(2HF), Aghilles - L20 H Ranger(Tempest), Ankalegon - L20 Dr Sorc, Ingole - L7 TR2X Drow Mage, Azealas - L18 Dr Cl, Kamaivin - L20 H Mo, Turaneuma, L13 Dr Mechanic Rogue

Race is Human. If 124 HP is normal then I guess I am just whining but I hear about other fighters and their enormous amount of HP and figure I must be donig something wrong. I am at work right now but I can get my total stats and gear list when I get a chance to from home. Thanks again all for your help and thoughts!
    Flyntock--Fighter/9
    Ganomir-- Cleric/5

Dont listen to all these gimps.....run Tangleroot a few times to get a +3con belt from there.....Take toughness at lvl9 and you will be set. You do not need to reroll..as toughness can be taken at anytime and multiple times.....so no worries

....everyone knows the Fpoon see you all as GIIIIIMPS....hahahaha
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots KHYBER

You're just item starved!

A 15 con starting is a good starting con... tome it with a +1 ... at level 13 with a +6 con item = 22, add in toughness and the toughness enhancements (another 50hp from those). Add a heavy fort item and you're set... Hate to say it but HP maxing is not the end-all-be-all some people make it out to be... I know plenty of fighters who are squishy compared to others yet they'll end up standing in the end collecting stones... because the key to good melee is to watch what's going on with everyone in the party ... including yourself.

so then
    15 +1 (+2 or +3) tome (use +1 con human adapability if a +2 tome used) +6 con item in the end nets 22-24... next GH favor adds 10, Minos Helm adds another toughness feat and take a toughness feat or so in the next 8 levels add in the toughness enhancements and you very much on par with most human fighters ... Now I mentioned heavy fort because it's spikes which kill so it best to prevent crits against when you can.
    Last edited by Emili; 04-22-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice. I have kept this toon and visited Fred, after a lengthy wait to get the Imperfect Shard and the money, and got Toughness. That with the enhancements to it and I think a +2 or +3 Con item, I now have almost 200HP. I also got to level 9 which helped a bit. But anyhow, thanks again for saving the life a poor n00b's toon.
    Flyntock--Fighter/9
    Ganomir-- Cleric/5

Lvl 16 Fighter-

20 - Heroic Durability
    160 - Fighter Base Hp Lvl 16
    112 - 24 Con (15 Base Con + 2 Tome + 6 Item +1 Human Versitality)
    30 - Greater False Life Item
    18 - Toughness <Edited>
    50 - Fighter Toughness I-IV
    10 - Draconic Vitality
    = 400 <Edited>

35 Shroud Item
    = 435 <Edited>

Don't think i missed anything
    Last edited by Kamboe; 06-05-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    THE Hand of the Black Tower Member
    Kamboe ~ 16.9 Drow Sorc 35 Cha 2195 Sp [=+=] Inflict ~ 16.9 Dwarf Cleric 418 Hp 1535 Mana
    Camboe ~ 16.9 Bard/Fighter 32 Str [=+=] Minimum ~ 16.9 Halfling Ftr 384 Hp