Thread: Inscribing?

Default Inscribing?

OK, so I have the Symbol Of lame scroll. On it it says minimum level 5, caster level 7. So I bought spell inscription lvl 5 stuff and tried to inscribe. It says I don't have the required components. So I bought a level 7 set, it says the same thing, so I bought a lvl 6 set for feces n giggles, same thing. What the f...?! Those inscription materials are pricy!
    Jesus saves, Buddah enlightens, Cthullu thinks you taste good with mayo.
    Swimming is not a sport, swimming is a way to keep from drowning.

Default Check the *spell* level

IIRC Min level 5 is what you have to be to use the scroll, caster level is what level the scroll will cast as (cast as if you were a level 7 caster, no metter what your level really is.)

The spell level for Symbol of Flame is.... ahh, Im too lazt to look it up right now, and I haven't played caster in a long time..... but you can look it up easy and check the level of the spell.

HTH

Edit Okay so I was unusually unlazy.... it is a level four spell.
    Last edited by S1gma; 04-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S1gma View Post
    IIRC Min level 5 is what you have to be to use the scroll, caster level is what level the scroll will cast as (cast as if you were a level 7 caster, no metter what your level really is.)

The spell level for Symbol of Flame is.... ahh, Im too lazt to look it up right now, and I haven't played caster in a long time..... but you can look it up easy and check the level of the spell.

HTH

Edit Okay so I was unusually unlazy.... it is a level four spell.
    I'm lvl 7 pure wiz. Scroll says "minimum level 5, caster level 7".

Community Member Electric_Pulses's Avatar

Lightbulb your answer

it's a lvl 4 spell therefore inscirbe it using lvl 4 inscription materials

Quote Originally Posted by Electric_Pulses View Post
    it's a lvl 4 spell therefore inscirbe it using lvl 4 inscription materials
    I got it. Why on the scrolls is the spells actual level printed on it? Not all of us memorize every single spell lvl/description!

Community Member

Lightbulb Trouble using spell after inscription.

Are you supposed to move it to the spellbook after you learn it to use it? Or is it like the PNP version (depending on DM of course.) where you learned the spell and you can use it freely?

Quote Originally Posted by McNastySavage View Post
    Are you supposed to move it to the spellbook after you learn it to use it? Or is it like the PNP version (depending on DM of course.) where you learned the spell and you can use it freely?
    Some people will complain about necroing an 11 year old thread, but I actually like it!

If you play a Wizard or an Artificer, you have an Inscribe Spell feat that you can put on the hotbar. You can then select a scroll and iscribe it in your spellbook: you will need level appropriate spell inscription materials, that you can buy in arcane shops.

After that, the spell will be permanently avaiable in your spellbook (until you reincarnate) and you can select it in an available spell slot in a tavern or after resting at a shrine (there is a shiny icon in the upper left corner of the screen when you can do that). To prepare spells, go to your character sheet, under the "Spells" tab.

Useful links:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Inscribe
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Inscription_Material
    Last edited by Morningfrost; 11-06-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    --
    Originally posted by C-Dog

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck but it's undead, then it's an undead duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    OK, so I have the Symbol Of lame scroll. On it it says minimum level 5, caster level 7. So I bought spell inscription lvl 5 stuff and tried to inscribe. It says I don't have the required components. So I bought a level 7 set, it says the same thing, so I bought a lvl 6 set for feces n giggles, same thing. What the f...?! Those inscription materials are pricy!
    I bet casting symbol of lame on an end boss would be hilarious

Community Member

[QUOTE=Morningfrost;6178407]
    After that, the spell will be permanently available in your spellbook (until you reincarnate) and you can select it in an available spell slot in a tavern or after resting at a shrine (there is a shiny icon in the upper left corner of the screen when you can do that). To prepare spells, go to your character sheet, under the "Spells" tab.

Reincarnate? As in start as a past life? Or resurrect?
    So basically, you have to use a spell slot that you have open in your spellbook. Moving it into an Lv3 Spot or so on?

Community Member

Default Cant inscribe cause fear scroll

I am level 2 wizard, have a cause fear scroll and level 1 inscribing materials. Select scroll. Try to inscribe, nothing happens, no error message, no don't have materials, no already have spell. Nothing. What does happen is all items in inventory have that one-time spin thing happen on the icons. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

They need to roll inscription materials into one universal item instead of having leveled versions..

On the item is info re usage, not re the spell itself. Use the Wiki to look up what actual level a spell is, and so what inscription mats you need.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Spells

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    OK, so I have the Symbol Of lame scroll...
    At first I just thought you were bitter about the whole process and over it.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Driss View Post
    They need to roll inscription materials into one universal item instead of having leveled versions..
    THIS.

It serves no purpose to have inscription materials for every level. It only serves to confuse people because of the multiple level #'s (caster level, min level, and spell level) that are quoted for each spell. Heck, I've been playing the game since day 1 and I still have to go to the wiki to figure out the right inscription materials I need to memorize a spell. I can only imagine how confusing it is for people new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Luskan View Post
    THIS.

It serves no purpose to have inscription materials for every level. It only serves to confuse people because of the multiple level #'s (caster level, min level, and spell level) that are quoted for each spell. Heck, I've been playing the game since day 1 and I still have to go to the wiki to figure out the right inscription materials I need to memorize a spell. I can only imagine how confusing it is for people new to the game.
    Add to that^ where different classes get the same spell at different levels.

Making the Inscription Materials one universal thing would be a nice QoL change.

[[ The thread may be a necro, but the question/answers/suggestions are all still relevant today. ]]
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

@Lyn remember when you were tasked with making things suck less? Like how you eventually got the Sigil in Necropolis to work better? This could easily go on the list!
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.