Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The 3.5 magic item creation system also allows you to make things that don't conflict with body slot restrictions. You can have 2 normal rings and 19 unrestricted rings, at double the creation cost for the 19 (and one very unpleasant equipping procedure).

I'm going to guess that won't be an option in DDO crafting.
    -Valok of Khyber, The Free Companions
    Still furious about the horrendous CS mismanagement of the so-called Abbot timer "exploit," and not going to let anyone forget it.

In the end, it was up to the DMs who in either simple-minded lack of creativity or fealty to Gary and friends stuck with it. The rules were always more of a guildline and common sense and creativity and what the players agreed to play with were the real limits. I always ran with DMs who allowed multiple rings, double-ended wands, etc. Sometimes it was integral to the story cooked up.

As a general rule in DDO I'd say we should have multiple rings allowed, but careful rules on stacking of powers such as fire and cold enhancing rings not being worn at the same time, but the complexity might be a bit much.

Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online: Franz Kafka Unlimited

Community Member

My Barbarian is a bit of weirdo. You know that left hand ring slot in the inventory window? Well that's not where he wears that ring. And it still works

Limiting the number of rings, and therefore the number of magical item slots is just a simple way of limiting the number of non-spell effects in place on a toon at one time. You could have 12 ring slots or 12 headgear slots and the effect would be the same, but items wouldn't be as varied, or cool.

What you could do is allow multiple items in a slot, as long as it made sense, and the total number of items worn didn't exceed 12. So rather than a "headgear" slot, you have a "head" slot that would allow one circlet, one helmet/hat, ten earrings/nose rings/lip rings/eyebrow rings/tongue studs or any combination thereof.
    Last edited by transtemporal; 03-27-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    Some toons with Cow in the name, and some without.

Default I don't care how safe it claims it is

I REFUSE to wear my Prince Albert of Protection +5.

Be careful what you wish for, what you say is best; for sometimes what you seek is found, not at the end of the quest.
    I AM, -- the truthseeker

Quote Originally Posted by query View Post

I assume you're wearing your Shocking Grasp 3/day clickie there instead??
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by KristovK View Post
    Seems balance is only required for the players, not for the NPCs
    You finally figured that out?

Hey, do you have Prince Albert in a can?

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep debating on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well-armed sheep defending it's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day Trial Monkey View Post
    My Barbarian is a bit of weirdo. You know that left hand ring slot in the inventory window? Well that's not where he wears that ring. And it still works

must be a childs pinky ring hehehehe ...

Default wow...

...an anatomically correct warforged? I hate to be the crafter who crafted you!

I think the magic item was called "Hand of Glory" from the DMG 3.5. It was a mummified elven hand with a necklace cord, and it allowed you to wear a third ring without magical dissonance from the multiple energy field.
    knghtstalkr
    <Many Heroes on Ghallanda ><4 Heroes on Argo><Plus more!>
    NOW PLAYING --- Zymph the Flamedancer 10th Wizzie/2nd Trapsmith
    Shoot straight and stay safe!

Then there is the hand of glory - its a severed hand that you wear around your neck. Lets you put a ring on a neck slot. Also, I am not 100% sure, but I believe the rule is NOT 2 rings, it is 1 ring PER HAND. For example, a Marilith can 6 rings (7 if she has a hand of glory). Ettins can have 2 rings, up to 4 if they have 2 hands of glory (2 neck slots) - of course, I could be thinking 2nd ed. I will look it up and see if I can find it in a 3.5 book.
    -Aspect
    -14Wiz/2Rog
    -Thelanis (formerly Tharashak, Thrashek, Ther.. however the heck you spell it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    As others have said, this is a PnP based control. There are PnP items and feats that let you wear extra items, but I imagine that would be a coding nightmare in this game...
    Doesnt anyone else get tired of this excuse(coding)? isnt that the reason the dev's have all that education and get paid the big bucks....so that they might actually have to do some hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Scant View Post
    Doesnt anyone else get tired of this excuse(coding)? isnt that the reason the dev's have all that education and get paid the big bucks....so that they might actually have to do some hard work.
    All the big bucks paid devs are probably coding for LOTR, Turbines money maker. As of the state of this game I'd imagine that ddo generates enough funds to stay in business and satisfy the core ddo player base but nothing more. I would expect turbine to pay what they can afford for this game. What they can afford may not = the educated big bucks coder type your thinking about... I mean no disrespect to the current ddo devs. They do an awsome job and design an enjoyable game nonetheless.
    Morkai - lvl 16 human Sorcerer Enchantment*Fire*Illusion
    Razziel - lvl 14 TWF Str Slashing Elf Fighter/2 Rogue
    Its Blacklist *****

Quote Originally Posted by L'Scant View Post
    I think the issue here is not that the devs couldn't do it if they wanted to, but rather that there are limited dev resources available and expanding ring slots would be a ton of work for very little return. The devs probably would rather put that effort into new classes, races, magic items, quests, etc. Adding in extra ring slots would also tend to alienate the pencil and paper crowd (of which I am a member) by straying even further from the D&D rules for the sole purpose of powering up characters even more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12