Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    It did get one in, Mod 5? I forget which one but they tied ROF to your BAB and it increased ranged combat speeds by at least 30% for high level characters. I find ranged very effective when playing solo or in a group where multiple people have good ranged characters.
    Ranged has always been very effective in groups patient enough to use it.

...which translates to solo play, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    They're hitting so hard that they bash through armor and create new weak spots?
    Nah, that doesn't really make sense. I could understand an increased multiplier due to the shear force of their blows. I guess to me a higher multiplier for a raging barb and an increased threat range for a fighter in expertise mode(fighting more careful and picking their openings) makes more sense to me. It also makes more sense for a rogue to get a threat boost on sneak attacks(maybe the assasin line?) and rangers to have an increased threat or multiplier against favored enemies. Just my opinion though. And I know people will say that has no precedence in Pen and Paper, but show me crit rage in the books.
    Guildless-Khyber

Lendra/Lendraa/Mordachi/Deathsong and assorted other gimps

IMO the only repeaters worth using are the light repeaters. They have a much higher ROF. While thier DPS isn't as good you generally aren't really using them for DPS anyway (otherwise you'd be playing a ranged ranger or a TWF melee). If you want to spray stat/effects/etc faster the best way is the light repeater as it's reload rate is MUCH faster which allows you to get far more shots down-range before the nasties can close.

They also tend to have more and better effects than heavies and are generally far cheaper (and easier to obtain because everyone wants heavies)

Just my opinion, however.

Community Member KillingGameshow's Avatar

Having had no experience one way or another, can we verify that light repeaters load and fire faster? the damage difference is pretty narrow (1d8 vs 1d10) so it seems that the light ones would possibly be superior in light of this information

Quote Originally Posted by KillingGameshow View Post
    Having had no experience one way or another, can we verify that light repeaters load and fire faster? the damage difference is pretty narrow (1d8 vs 1d10) so it seems that the light ones would possibly be superior in light of this information
    There is no difference on the rate of fire. The only benefit to light repeaters is in their weight. 6lbs for a light vs. 12lbs for a heavy. On a high dex, low strength build this weight difference might matter. If weight is not a factor then go heavy as the little bit of extra damage can help bypass DR to allow weapon effects to proc (ie wounding)

There is a dmage curve in the game. Repeaters still rule at low levels because the monsters have fewer hitpoints and the repeater can dish it out small amounts fast over a distance. At higher levels though, with inflated monster hp and their damage reduction, repeaters fall behind. They still have their uses though, especially if you can find a wounding repeater of puncturing.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    There is a dmage curve in the game. Repeaters still rule at low levels because the monsters have fewer hitpoints and the repeater can dish it out small amounts fast over a distance. At higher levels though, with inflated monster hp and their damage reduction, repeaters fall behind. They still have their uses though, especially if you can find a wounding repeater of puncturing.
    Banishing/smiting/disrupting repeaters still have their place at higher levels.

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bragnor View Post
    IMO the only repeaters worth using are the light repeaters. They have a much higher ROF. While thier DPS isn't as good you generally aren't really using them for DPS anyway (otherwise you'd be playing a ranged ranger or a TWF melee).
    Completely untrue. Both Heavy and Light repeaters have the exact same RoF.

Being able to sit back in part 4 and 5 of the shroud firing away with a +4 Transmuting repeater of PG seems to work fairly well too, semi decent consistent damage.

I mainly use my WP one though, give yourself some space and nothing has a chance (other than undead)

I have a level 14 bard on my old server that was a repeater build. You don't really need rapid shot or rapid reload. With a good dps repeater, you will destroy everything at lower levels. At higher levels, you want to look for repeaters that will help out your group...cursespewing, destruction, etc. The biggest thing is that you will want to have a good collection of repeaters before you even make the character. I went drow with 20 cha and 18 dex to start. I put all of my level ups into charisma. Other than exotic weapon repeater, all of my other feats were aimed at being a caster. Oh yeah...one thing that can be a little tricky and irritating...when your bow is firing you can't cast a spell. That can suck if you find yourself needing to cast a cure in the middle of a shot. Other than that, it's a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12