Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sweet thanks! Never shall I have to give up on a 5x5 again
    The guards eye you suspiciously...

Practice 5x5 here

it's lights out, though. You have to turn them all off, instead of on, but it's the same algorithm.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

I've been using this guide for the better part of a year, and it's been great!

I did notice that there was one pattern that showed up a few times on the 5x5
    that isn't covered in the original guide. I even saw it a couple of times in the
    website game. So, here's a revised 5x5 map with an 8th row added that includes
    this "missing" state.

Last edited by ArgentMage; 08-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.

or or www.perfectweb.org

, but good guide
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Concerning the last 5x5 combination. I am not quite understanding it; when I have tried it in solvers I have not been able to get a reliable result. Can this combination be explained to me? It is the one missing from the chart on the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    Concerning the last 5x5 combination. I am not quite understanding it; when I have tried it in solvers I have not been able to get a reliable result. Can this combination be explained to me? It is the one missing from the chart on the OP.
    Since I haven't seen it very often, my guess is that this pattern typically appears
    when you make a "mistake" solving down. So that might explain why the solvers
    don't get it. But since I haven't tried the solver, I can't say for sure. But using
    the flow-down method, it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    I've been using this guide for the better part of a year, and it's been great!

I did notice that there was one pattern that showed up a few times on the 5x5
    that isn't covered in the original guide. I even saw it a couple of times in the
    website game. So, here's a revised 5x5 map with an 8th row added that includes
    this "missing" state.

I understand why the 8th row does not work. It's a non-solve. It's a mirror image of 2,4 out that doesn't solve out. You get a full unlit row.

However, I see what you're going at. Working through a solver, here's the combinations I ended up coming up with:

With 1,5 unlit on bottom: 1,2 OR 4,5
    2,4 unlit: 1,2,3 OR 3,4,5 OR 1,4 OR 2,5
    1,2,3 : 2 OR 3,4
    3,4,5 : 4 OR 2,3
    1,3,4 : 5 OR 1,3
    2,3,5 : 1 OR 3,5
    1,2,4,5: 3

Thank you for this thread which showed me how to do these puzzles very effectively; the list there should be comprehensive for the 5x5's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Default same concept, prettier picture(?)

I find solving down much faster and more reliable than using the solver on perfectweb.
    (I'm pretty good at jumping to spots, but still accidently hit tiles that I'm not supposed to.)

I did spend hours playing/practicing with the solver on perfect web though.
    (If you do decide to play/practice with the solver, I suggest checking to make sure you working on a puzzle that can be solved.
    You can do this by resizing your browser window so that it doesn't show the answer when you click the solve button, then click the solve button.
    The program will tell you if the puzzle can't be solved.
    I spent waaaaay too much time trying to solve puzzles that couldn't be solved, and thinking "dang, am I really that stupid?")

I made a forced perspective version of the original post and want to share it.
    (It's my way of putting into pictures what eyepuppy has explained with words)

Here's the link to full explanation with all the pictures:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...30#post3763730

Here's the prettier (and possibly easier to use) version of the 5 x 5 chart.

Thanks again to eyepuppy and jjflanigan.
    Cleary I'm standing on the shoulders of giants.

Sir Kermit
    Last edited by Sir_Kermit; 05-15-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234