Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mod 6 - Vista Launcher Information

Module 6 includes many improvements to the DDO launcher for better compatibility with Windows Vista. While the changes will allow for a much smoother experience when installing DDO for the first time, it may require some necessary configuration changes for those already running the game in Vista. To help alleviate any confusion or issues after the Module 6 update, we wanted to provide some additional instructions on what to do after you have patched to Module 6 on a Windows Vista machine.

After you have completed patching your client, the launcher will prompt you to allow it to restart. Upon restart, you may receive an error that states you cannot run this program as an administrator (due to the fact that previously, many people had to check the “Run as Administrator” option in order to get DDO to run on Vista). If you receive this error message, ensure that “TurbineLauncher.exe”, “TurbineInvoker.exe”, and “dndlauncher.exe” all have the option “Run as Administrator” unchecked:

1) Open Computer (or My Computer) in the Start Menu and browse to the program directory for DDO (the default path is C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons and Dragons Online)
    2) Right-click on the file “dndlauncher.exe” - depending on your system settings, you may not see the .exe at the end. If this is the case, just select the one that is labeled as an Application
    3) Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab
    4) Under Privilege Level, unselect “Run this program as an administrator” and then click OK
    5) Repeat this process for the files “TurbineLauncher.exe” and “TurbineInvoker.exe”

As with any update, you may need to remove the current exceptions in your firewall, and then add exceptions for “TurbineLauncher.exe”, “TurbineInvoker.exe”, and “dndclient.exe”. If you have the game installed in the Program Files folder, you may need to leave “Run this program as an administrator” checked ONLY on dndclient.exe.

As always, Technical Support is available via chat, email, and the forums for any questions. We hope this information is helpful!

Community Member MyrddynDraconis's Avatar

Default Nice

But Shouldn't it have been fixed for the Players That We ALREADY HAVE instead of making it easier for those that MIGHT come?
    I mean we have already been put upon because of ya'll Lack of readiness for the peculaur aspects of VISTA. It (software update to compatibility of Vista) is Usally the responsibility of the Developers to insure that part. IE look at all the software/hardware problems still in effect from the original outpouring of Vista onto the market Those companies have had to upgrade or choose not to, and be left behind. Just a Thought Mind you, but I do see it has something YA"LL should fix instead of making something rigged up to excuse ya'lls lack of performance Thank You

Default I'm not a big whiner, but...

I've been playing DDO for over a year. When I first got it I was running XP. Never had a problem other than the fact that it was an old computer and gameplay could have been better. Then I got a new computer with more ram and better everything to enhance my gameplay. While the gameplay itself is leaps and bounds better, the rest of my experience has been agonizingly painful because the new computer runs Vista.

Upon first installing the game it took me forever to figure out the 'run as administrator' issue. Then, every time they did maintenance or updates of any kind I had to completely uninstall the game and re-install. But wait! It gets even screwier. Here's what I had to do every update:

Uninstall the game
    Re-install the game
    Wait for a launcher update
    Restart the launcher
    Wait for it to start updating game data (these days those files number in the high 9000's)
    When it starts the game data update, shut down the program
    Restart the program
    Then wait for it to do a game update of maybe 15 to 20 files
    Then I could play

Today? Today was all new and different. Today I get to wait for all 9700 some odd files to update!

Oh joy is me!
    Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
    ----------------
    Ghallanda: Olympe/QFU/Huflungpu/Lunch/Cartouche/Imall/Broad
    Sarlona: Pahu/Piers/Patchouli/Percussion/Poloi

Default I feel ya, toots.

Hey Cartouche. Shizima here.

I thought I found my way around that Vista admin's rights problem by right-clicking the launcher (from D&D files under "my computer") and changing the launcher's security clearance under Users and Trusted Installer to "full control". It has worked through the last few patches; but after patching today, I'm getting some strange "you do not have the correct version of the client installed" message. I guess I wasn't as smart as I hoped I was. Now I have to figure out how to get things back to working without uninstalling everything... grrrrrrrr.

I don't know what you all are doing wrong but I have run DDO fine with Vista since April

sure the General error message comes up but a simple right click and selecting a run as admin fixes that
    the one and only issue I have had was on occasion it would allow running without the right clicking when I forgot and have had to update the latest patches..... no need to wait through it though as running as admin fixed it yet again

I know that has something to do with log in and permission but it is extrememly minor.... are you sure you are all using it properly because I have never even come close to having to reinstall just to play the game

worked like a charm, thank you very much.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

*sheds tears for those who have been so burdened
    Now where did that Englishman go???
    "Somewhere some lucky bastard is having a heart attack"
    -Jack N.

Quote Originally Posted by Toots View Post
    <cut>While the gameplay itself is leaps and bounds better, the rest of my experience has been agonizingly painful because the new computer runs Vista.<CUT>
    You are sort-of right, as Turbine could probably have put more resources into this and improved it some. But the real blame shouold be pointed at Microsoft. If being very (very) generous to Microsoft, one might say:
    Windows XP = a used Lexus with a V6

Windows Vista = A brand new Lexus with a V8, but towing a trailer, and with an after-market security system that often locks up and won't let you drive it.
    Really, much of this problem is not at all Turbine's fault.
    Sarlona - Nyr Dyv Raiders
    Bloodbath, Smasher · Sonnkral, Finisher · Sentient, Caster

The powerful druid Ciwansule Ciwansule's Avatar

Default Getting into game

I have the same problem and I have tried all the different suggestions given to get it to work and it still does not work on my computer that has Vista on it.

Please start a new thread if you have an issue. Be as detailed as possible with what is currently happening and what you have already done.

Community Member

Angry Complete ****

Look Turbine...I pay you guys money to sort this **** out and fix it before it becomes my problem. I can't get the new module to work on my Vista computer despite having 2 x dual-core AMD processors at 2.6ghz, 16 GB (yeah that's right GB) of Ram and 2 x NVIDIA 4500s. I've tried your administrator changers to client, invoker and the other one and they don't work. My error message is "you do not have the current version of the client installed." How do I unscrew this?

Default reply to bracken

Bracken, a few of us are having the same issue as you. Discussion is currently in this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=134274

Community Member

Smile Thanks Kamim

Thanks...I'll redirect.

Esoitl,

I don't mean to be rude, but how can I be using it wrong? You click on a file icon to start a program. That's it. I DO have it set to run as admin. I don't get a general error message. It simply won't update the launcher. I get the dreaded red "X" unless I re-install the game. I went through the troubleshooting tips (downloading and replacing files, etc.) given me that were supposed to solve the problem , yet, it did not.

What may at least alleviate the problem somewhat is if I had a more current installation file. I'm no computer guru, but I'm not a rube either. I've had two friends more knowledgeable than I look at the problem too and they're stumped. Most people I know running Vista have had issues and they're almost all different. It's not always "user ineptness".

The fact is, Turbine has not given sufficient attention to this problem for a long time. My first request for help netted me nothing but a link to something that didn't help. My second request went ignored. I'm not asking that they do something about Vista itself, just that they provide a better troubleshooting guide for it. If I didn't love the game so much, I'd pull my monetary support and go elsewhere for fun.
    Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
    ----------------
    Ghallanda: Olympe/QFU/Huflungpu/Lunch/Cartouche/Imall/Broad
    Sarlona: Pahu/Piers/Patchouli/Percussion/Poloi

Default Well Toots,

Looks like I'll be reinstalling, myself. Not having a security issue, but a version issue/possible corrupt download. Won't be able to run with you (or anyone else) today. See you tomorrow!

ps. Thanks for mailing me that screencap.... looks good!

Erm mine keeps telling me I can't run the game with admin priviledges. My user account IS an admin on the box. How do I fix this beyond creating ANOTHER account on the system just to play this game with?

The ever helpful tech support team informed me that to run the game it must be run under a 'standard user account'. Which is BS since for the past 6 months it's run fine under my admin level account. The error coming up is generated by the application itself. There is no reason whatsoever to have this file refuse to be run under admin priveledges. Now in order to run the game I either have to demote my account to a standard user account or create a 'spare' account on the computer just to run the game.

To put it bluntly: This is unacceptable.
    Last edited by Bragnor; 01-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Default Blah

I'm having the same "Error You Do Not Have Current Version of Client Installed" problem. I'm trying all of the suggestions, to no avail.

I'm looking at the knowledge base download Yeti provided and I'm curious as to why there are 2 choices.. Standard Resolution or High Resolution.
    If I choose the Standard Resolution will I not be able to change it in my options during gameplay to high res? Just want to know, because it takes long enough to go through one installation. I'd like to get it right the first(?) time around.

For now I'm trying the install I currently have, again.

Good luck to the rest of you and if you find a fix.. share with the class
    Ghallanda
    Raenah/Lumen/Faolan/Aphira
    Misara/Sumting Wong/Aisllyn
    Descendants

Cool A funny thing happened on the way to upgrade to Vista...

So I installed DDO on my Vista laptop. I did the whole Administrator thing and whoopie! It worked like a charm (it actually runs pretty well on my Dell Inspiron 640m/1405).

I installed it on my desktop and did ALL the same things and I could never geit it to run. I finally had to re-install it to my newly created 'Special Program Files" folder and it's been up and running ever since.

{sigh}
    Thelanis - Lightbearer - Cleric 20, Sareeshi - Ranger 20 (TR from AA to AA, yea, that's right), Roggiegal - 16/2/2 Rogue, Pally, Fighter, Pyranas - TR Sorceres 19, Pallyguy - Pally 19, Littlebigman - 20/2 (dwarf) Ranger/Fighter (tempest), Locksmythe - 11 Rogue and others...

Angry admin prob, tried all fixes, nothing works...

I have tried all the admin privilege fixes suggested and i still get the, cannot run as administrator error. (The boxes for run as admin were never checked in the first place.) I have tried the fixes posted, anything else i can try? I put the folder on shared and created a guest account, for some reason there i get "updater failed to intialized," This update has made my game unplayable. Please help. Thanks.
    "Good pitching is countered by better hitting and vice-versa."

Default Vista

Quote Originally Posted by sneax View Post
    I have tried all the admin privilege fixes suggested and i still get the, cannot run as administrator error. (The boxes for run as admin were never checked in the first place.) I have tried the fixes posted, anything else i can try? I put the folder on shared and created a guest account, for some reason there i get "updater failed to intialized," This update has made my game unplayable. Please help. Thanks.
    Reinstall the game only this time don't let it install in the \Program Files folder. Make a different one. On my machne it's "\Special Program Files". Vista "guards" the Program Files folder and by installing it elsewhere you can bypass this. Good luck!
    Thelanis - Lightbearer - Cleric 20, Sareeshi - Ranger 20 (TR from AA to AA, yea, that's right), Roggiegal - 16/2/2 Rogue, Pally, Fighter, Pyranas - TR Sorceres 19, Pallyguy - Pally 19, Littlebigman - 20/2 (dwarf) Ranger/Fighter (tempest), Locksmythe - 11 Rogue and others...

21. 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast