Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me

Default Was it a sound card issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyctor View Post
    that fixed it thank you very much! I can finally play DDO since I kicked the girlfriend 6 hours away for the weekend
    I'm curious if the sound card was the problem. My son starting having this problem after I replaced his sound card. Putting the old card back didn't help. Reinstalling the program didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsbane View Post
    I'm curious if the sound card was the problem. My son starting having this problem after I replaced his sound card. Putting the old card back didn't help. Reinstalling the program didn't help.
    It most likely has a corrupt value in the configuration file for the Audio portion. When it tries to initialize the audio device it is failing and causing the game to crash as it access an invalid area of memory. If you go into your documents folder for DDO ( C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online ) you may just be able to replace the [Sound] section with one that removes all calls to it (i.e. disables the sound)

Code:
    [Sound]
    DMTextVolume=0.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=8
    SoundFeatures=Software
    SoundDisabled=True
    EAXEnabled=False
    UIVolume=0.00
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    MusicVolume=0.00
    MusicDisabled=True
    SoundVolume=0.00
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=0.00
    If that doesn't work, try backing up your userpreferences.ini file and you can download my very barebones one to see if it will resolve the issue for you:

http://perfectweb.org/ddo/UserPreferences.zip

Default Your file seems to have done the trick

I downloaded your ini file and it seems to have fixed the problem. My son is playing now, so I'll watch for awhile and see what happens.

His game does not always crash on load. I played on his computer the other night and for the first 45 mins or so, there were no problems. After about an hour the screen would freeze, but the game wouldn't lock up. If I hit alt-enter it would unfreeze the screen. I could then hit alt-enter again and continue to play in full window mode. However, the problem continued to get worse and eventualy crashed the game, giving me the error 131 and 132 message.

Thanks again for you help. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just patched my laptop with the latest update (I don't use it as my primary game platform so only getting to this now) and I am getting this error on XP as well.

I've not yet seen any fixes for this in digging around on the forums, any clues yet?

The Server Formerly Known As Aerenal ...and Cannith
    Legends of Aerenal: Officer - Gods and Heroes: Peon
    Allectus Siff, James Tiberius Kirk, Spanner Siff, Syphax Siff, Ulixes Siff, Etc.

Default Problem continues

I thought we had this one whipped. However, my son is still experiencing game crashes. They aren't happening as often as before, and the messages are now referencing DirectX.

Community Member

Has anyone here found the answer to this? I run this in Windows no problem but don't know how to help others find their solution but I'm interested because I'm running DDO in Linux, rather trying to, and I get the same Corestrings.dll 131 error. I found that I too get more success (meaning I saw a change in the command line behavior on attempt to load) when I disable sounds, but have not been able to figure it out. The error I get, I know it's Linux, not Windows, but it could be somewhat related, is with the graphics settings. Tells me I have to have it in 16 or 32 bit enabled in windowed mode or run it in fullscreen, error 125. I'm sure all of you Windows users have those settings already but it might lead to a fix. Sounds like the previous poster is having a graphics and sound issue where MAYBE the 131 error is coming up because of multiple errors and the corestrings.dll file doesn't know where to link the two errors to the correct error messages (not to forget the sound error). When I disable sounds with the usersettings ini file the 131 error goes away but I start getting the graphics errors. Just a thought for you Windows folks. I'm also hoping by posting here a spark will be ignited again to further the hunt for a fix. Thanks all.

Community Member

Problem solved on my end. Using this thread.

http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/...d.php?t=125098

Thanks

If anyone is interested in helping with further Linux issues see my thread here

http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/...ighlight=LInux

Community Member

Exclamation userpreferences.ini link is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    If that doesn't work, try backing up your userpreferences.ini file and you can download my very barebones one to see if it will resolve the issue for you:
    http://perfectweb.org/ddo/UserPreferences.zip
    I know this post is years old, but I just installed the app & after running the launcher & logging into a server, the character selection screen shows but any click results in a black screen. I have run through all the disable DX10, (re)install DX9, DX9 web (no changes made), no proxy, VSC redist, dotnet runtime, dotnet framework, run in 32bit, reset graphics settings, & other steps detailed on
    https://help.standingstonegames.com/...-the-launcher-
    and by Mindos, here:
    https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6494008

All to no avail!

I would like to try loading the userpreferences.ini file you provided with the minimal settings, but the link is dead.
    Any possibility you (or anyone else around) would be willing to link a fresh copy of a .ini with these minimal settings?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetZarquon View Post
    I know this post is years old, but I just installed the app & after running the launcher & logging into a server, the character selection screen shows but any click results in a black screen. I have run through all the disable DX10, (re)install DX9, DX9 web (no changes made), no proxy, VSC redist, dotnet runtime, dotnet framework, run in 32bit, reset graphics settings, & other steps detailed on
    https://help.standingstonegames.com/...-the-launcher-
    and by Mindos, here:
    https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6494008

All to no avail!

I would like to try loading the userpreferences.ini file you provided with the minimal settings, but the link is dead.
    Any possibility you (or anyone else around) would be willing to link a fresh copy of a .ini with these minimal settings?
    probably not since this is almost 2 decades old post.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin51 View Post
    probably not since this is almost 2 decades old post.
    Didn't see any harm in asking.

I edited the userpreferences file manually & was able to get it to launch.

I had to disable Fullscreen: in Windowed mode it launched fine!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12