Thread: Drowsy Name

Community Member

Default Drowsy Name

This is to the owner of the name Drowsy on Sarlona. I sent you mail in the game, but I haven't heard anything back from you yet, so I figured I'd try here as well.

Anyway, I had the name Drowsy on Adar, but obviously I lost out in the recent server merge re-naming sweepstakes. I'd love to keep my name, so if there's any way we can make a deal, please let me know. I have a vorpal bastard sword I wouldn't mind trading.

Community Member

Well, two things:

1) It's not just Adar that was merged into Sarlona. Aerenal was too, and the "original" name could just as likely be from there.

2) Since the "original" Drowsy wasn't renamed, it'd cost that player money to rename (only characters that got their server appended got a free rename token). I doubt a Vorpal Bastard Sword would offset that cost.
    Something not seem right? Think you found a bug?
    Submit a Bug Report

Bug reports help make the game a better one.

Default goodness

why dont you just make your name like drowsie, or like drowsey

there are ways to keep your name but just change the spelling i do it allllll the time =)
    Untouchables
    Leoniidis Lv 15 Barb,Gotta Have Faith Lv 16 Rog, Leonida Lv 16 32 pt clr, Forceful Quickstep Lv 11/3 32 Pt WF ftr/Paly, Calipso Lv 14 32 pt Death Sorc Leonidan lv 12 Paly

Geez, lay off the guy. He likes his name and wants to see if he can reach an agreement with the guy who won the naming lottery. It's not like the guy who won can't just tell him to go pound sand on his own.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Default yikes

hey i was just trying to be helpful, no need to start freakin out
    Untouchables
    Leoniidis Lv 15 Barb,Gotta Have Faith Lv 16 Rog, Leonida Lv 16 32 pt clr, Forceful Quickstep Lv 11/3 32 Pt WF ftr/Paly, Calipso Lv 14 32 pt Death Sorc Leonidan lv 12 Paly

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    He likes his name and wants to see if he can reach an agreement with the guy who won the naming lottery.
    And that makes the OP and you assume that the person who kept the name even reads the forums.

And my second point still stands: The person who has the name would have to spend $10 of their money and lose the name for a Vorpal Bastard Sword. Personally, I wouldn't spend 5 cents for a virtual item that I maybe can't use on any characters I have, let alone $10.
    Submit a Bug Report

Goodluck Drowsy!
    Last edited by Lost_Leader; 07-11-2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Leader of Lost Legions
    ~Sarlona~

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTheEternal View Post
    And that makes the OP and you assume that the person who kept the name even reads the forums.
    Why don't you keep your nose out of it? You don't need to blast the OP for just trying to find someone.

The OP said he tried in-game mail, I assume he also tried /tells. And now he's here trying the forums. Whether or not the person he is trying to reach reads thses forums is irrealevant. Perhaps someone who know this person reads this.

And about your point #2, you can /changename once for free. The person who has the original Drowsy, may just be using their character as a mule, or doesn't even use them at all.
    BLACK MANTIS - Sarlona
    Founder
    NOW YOU WILL KNOW TRUE POWER

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTheEternal View Post

And my second point still stands: The person who has the name would have to spend $10 of their money and lose the name for a Vorpal Bastard Sword. Personally, I wouldn't spend 5 cents for a virtual item that I maybe can't use on any characters I have, let alone $10.
    He has no guarantees that the nameholder reads the forums. However he has a decent probability of finding the person because we're on the official DDO forums.

As for spending money. That's nice that you wouldn't pay for a virtual item. But here on planet earth we have things like PayPal which would allow the OP to reimburse the nameholder. The vorpal would just be incentive to give up the name.

This goes back to my original rant. Why do you care? And why are you flaming the OP for trying? The OP is trying to open a dialogue with someone and they are under no obligation to give up the name.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

As for spending money. That's nice that you wouldn't pay for a virtual item. But here on planet earth we have things like PayPal which would allow the OP to reimburse the nameholder. The vorpal would just be incentive to give up the name.
    They wouldn't have to pay to change their name. DDO has allowed everyone to change their name once for free with /changename. Or is that only if you have a server name attatched to your name? Does anyone know for sure? Is it everyone or only people that have a server name attatched to their name?
    BLACK MANTIS - Sarlona
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Tunes Steele View Post
    They wouldn't have to pay to change their name. DDO has allowed everyone to change their name once for free with /changename. Or is that only if you have a server name attatched to your name? Does anyone know for sure? Is it everyone or only people that have a server name attatched to their name?
    Each character that is renamed will receive a token that can be used to select a new name. To change your first name simply type /changename in the chat window. If you want to change your name again, after using the rename token we gave you, you will need to use the Character Rename service available at http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/turbinesu...p?kbid=37&ao=t.
    From the server merge FAQ
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

You're link is broken. But it looks like the /changename only applies to characters that have been renamed.
    BLACK MANTIS - Sarlona
    Founder

Ya, the link will be up next week when all the premium services are back online.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Community Member

Why don't you keep your nose out of it? You don't need to blast the OP for just trying to find someone.
    Why don't you back off? I'm not blasting the OP. I'm making points.

And about your point #2, you can /changename once for free. The person who has the original Drowsy, may just be using their character as a mule, or doesn't even use them at all.
    No you can't. Ghoste pointed it out.

As for spending money. That's nice that you wouldn't pay for a virtual item. But here on planet earth we have things like PayPal which would allow the OP to reimburse the nameholder.
    Which assumes that the original nameholder has or wants a PayPal account. And if he doesn't, the only other methods require giving away personal information.

This goes back to my original rant. Why do you care? And why are you flaming the OP for trying? The OP is trying to open a dialogue with someone and they are under no obligation to give up the name.
    You can back off, too. I'm not flaming the OP. Do you see me say anything like "you're a moron for thinking he'll rename for you"? No. I made rational points.

My second point wasn't berating the OP, it was making the exact same point that was brought up later in this thread. It was pointing out that the person with the name didn't get a free rename, something some people (like the other person accusing me) might not know or are confused about.

More luck to the OP if he really wants to get that name, but I honestly believe the extra hassle put on another player is a huge wrench in that plan.
    Last edited by ChaosTheEternal; 08-09-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Bah, typos.
    Submit a Bug Report