Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Default Server merge - is my name gone forever?

I had my first D&D monk named Thelonious over 20-25 years ago.

I was a part of the DDO Head Start and on the first day I created a character on Fernia named Thelonious.

I've had several posts over the last 18 months about how excited I was to have this character. Some may have been purged off due to age, and others lost in last weeks forum merge. Here is the only one I could initially find:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...us#post1207421

So now after the server merge I don't have a character named Thelonious any more. I have Thelonious-Fernia. None of my other characters are named xxxxxx-Fernia.

I think I know why - over the last 18 months I've dropped the name only to pick it up immediately as I experiment with a couple character rerolls. So me not having the name for 10 minutes dropped me in the seniority rankings apparently.

I want a character named Thelonious on the same server as all my other characters/friends/guildies. I've held that name for 18 long months - just sitting there. No one else has ever held that name on Fernia.

Do I have any recourse? If I am missing something obvious I apologize in advance.
    Looking to (re-)acquire the character name Thelonious on Ghallanda server.

I don't see anything happening. You technically deleted him. Not really fair to the other guy who for all you know had his name just as long.

Yup, the guy who never re-rolled his is getting to keep it. You could try sending him an in-game mail to see if he may change it. You never know what he will say unless you ask.

Default Consider Yourself...

Consider yourself...I was going to say a bad word here, but had to reconsider due to the rules of this forum.

Yes, your name is gone forever.

Had Turbine decided to use a global naming system many would not be faced with this anguish. However, it was not a global system and this is the outcome.

You can bemoan the loss and then add a letter to your characters name. Or you can try and talk to the other guy who has your name.

See ya in Stormreach,

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rekker View Post
    Yup, the guy who never re-rolled his is getting to keep it. You could try sending him an in-game mail to see if he may change it. You never know what he will say unless you ask.
    But, he can't change his without GM intervention or DDO Premium Services. You are only awarded a self-rename token if you had -Servername added to your name.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Default Oh no

I've sat on this name patiently since the first hours of launch. 18 months x 30 days x 24 hours x 60 mins = over 750,000 minutes. And I give it up for 10 minutes to reroll. Oh man.

This probably seems silly to everyone else, but it meant everything to me.
    Looking to (re-)acquire the character name Thelonious on Ghallanda server.

Customer Service Representative Sparker's Avatar

Sorry that you lost the name Apollojuly. It is, unfortunately, as you suspected. Once you deleted the character and remade him, you lost any "seniority" over the name, so any other player that had the name priror to that is now the elder.

I'm afraid your only option is to choose a new name with your token. Sorry Apollojuly.

Quote Originally Posted by apollojuly View Post
    I've sat on this name patiently since the first hours of launch. 18 months x 30 days x 24 hours x 60 mins = over 750,000 minutes. And I give it up for 10 minutes to reroll. Oh man.

This probably seems silly to everyone else, but it meant everything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    But, he can't change his without GM intervention or DDO Premium Services. You are only awarded a self-rename token if you had -Servername added to your name.
    Right, but if its just a mule he has and doesn't play, can't he delete the toon allowing Apollojuly to create his ???

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rekker View Post
    Right, but if its just a mule he has and doesn't play, can't he delete the toon allowing Apollojuly to create his ???
    True, he could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by apollojuly View Post
    I had my first D&D monk named Thelonious over 20-25 years ago.

I was a part of the DDO Head Start and on the first day I created a character on Fernia named Thelonious.

I've had several posts over the last 18 months about how excited I was to have this character. Some may have been purged off due to age, and others lost in last weeks forum merge. Here is the only one I could initially find:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...us#post1207421

So now after the server merge I don't have a character named Thelonious any more. I have Thelonious-Fernia. None of my other characters are named xxxxxx-Fernia.

I think I know why - over the last 18 months I've dropped the name only to pick it up immediately as I experiment with a couple character rerolls. So me not having the name for 10 minutes dropped me in the seniority rankings apparently.

I want a character named Thelonious on the same server as all my other characters/friends/guildies. I've held that name for 18 long months - just sitting there. No one else has ever held that name on Fernia.

Do I have any recourse? If I am missing something obvious I apologize in advance.
    Only thing I can think of is to send an ingame email to the person who has that name. If you ask nice enough they may be willing to delete the character and let you have the name. Who knows they may not be attached to the name as you are.
    StanC
    "Are you a complete Idiot ?"
    "No some parts are missing"
    "What level Dungeon Master are you ?"

Thumbs down

The head start I paid for was part of the beta what cost me $7 per copy and I got three of them at my local best buy. But it depends on which promotion you got onto. Some people just got the preorder copy where you put $10 down then paid the rest when it came in. I know there was a few promotions out there that also gave you items but it totally depended on where you ended up getting it from.

If you would have come out and said make all of your characters the first day of the game and don’t delete them or you may loose your name when we cant find a way to keep people from leaving the game. that would have been one thing. But you didn’t. so that is why people are mad.

As for forcing us to reroll… are you freaking high? You totally changed out the way some of the feats work like lets see… evasion and armor? and I don’t even want to go into the “new” enhancement system. Then what about those of us that tried to make repeater builds… yea… when all you did with a repeater was sit there and blow bolts into nothing forever. Yea what was a useful feat. Now I know your going to come back with but we gave you a way to change out your feats… yea after a year of having the game up. How are we to plan what is going to pop into your head a year from now.
    blayhill 14 cleric
    shayon 11 wiz
    thundar 4 barb
    litchking 13 fight
    litchlord 5 wiz
    litchsong 1 bard

Community Member

A Thellonius by any other name would smell just as... Thelloniusian.

Quote Originally Posted by EP_Harlow
    "At times, death alone bears the memo regarding a change in strategy." -EP Harlow