Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Help

Default Vista Help

I just got Vista on my computer and have seen threads of Vista doom on here before. What do I need to do to make sure DDO runs right on Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyctor View Post
    I just got Vista on my computer and have seen threads of Vista doom on here before. What do I need to do to make sure DDO runs right on Vista?
    You will have to give the client permission to access the web...this will take the form of answering yes to a few question boxes, and choosing "remember this setting" whenever possible.

One of the surest methods is to NOT double click on the icon to start the game. Rather, you should RIGHT click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator" from the list that appears.

Other than that, you should expect better graphics now!
    GOOLAN

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyalsip View Post
    You will have to give the client permission to access the web...this will take the form of answering yes to a few question boxes, and choosing "remember this setting" whenever possible.

One of the surest methods is to NOT double click on the icon to start the game. Rather, you should RIGHT click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator" from the list that appears.

it was quote by tech support that you should NOT run as admin when playing the game. this could cause file errors. what OP should do is to give the window account he plays with admin rights. run the game as per normal. the ONLY times he would use the run as admin function is when 1) installing, 2) updating. rest of time he should run it as per normal
    If you want to know why...

Customer Service Representative

Under vista do not run as admin, as he stated above, and disable UAC. That should allow you to play.

And you wont get better graphics then Xp. Why should there be a difference?

What will happend though is he wil see a about a 10% or more reduction in FPS. and some other annoying issues.
    Member of Mythical

Community Member

The other important thing to be sure of is you have at least 2 Gigs of ram. If you have 1 Gig you may run into problems and I believe it would be like me running on 512 Megs right now on Windows XP.

Vista on a fresh install at idle at startup uses about 650 megs of memory. As it memorizes the apps you use most often, it will use more if the memory is there to support it.

Turbine Technical Support

If you aren't using Vista Basic, you'll want to disable Aero, as it uses up a large amount of your system resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Altumus View Post
    Under vista do not run as admin, as he stated above, and disable UAC. That should allow you to play.
    I am curious about what files, exactly, can be damaged by running the client as admin. Can you supply more detail?

The reason I ask, is that it seems extremely reckless to disable User Account Control. You do realize that, taking your advice, most users will just LEAVE the UAC disabled permanently. Would you choose to amend your advise by suggesting that users only disable UAC when they wish to play the game...and then enable it again when they are done? Such an action will require an OS restart with each enable/disable...they won't like that.

Whereas, running the DDO Client as Admin, only allows admin rights for THAT APPLICATION, while leaving UAC enabled to protect normal (non-game) web access from the attacks that we DEFINITELY KNOW EXIST. If a user disables his UAC, then after he plays DDO awhile (and shuts the client down) his very next trip to the web will expose him to malware and possible virus attacks.

So, unless you can supply some detail as to what problems running the client as Admin can possibly cause, I must maintain that my method is just as effective and certainly safer overall. Unlike Shugar, I am not willing to accept this as gospel "just because a tech support guy said so", and then regurgitate it up like I know what I'm talking about...I need to know why before I accept.
    Last edited by jeffreyalsip; 08-02-2007 at 02:15 PM.
    GOOLAN

Community Member

Default What works for me

Though I'm sure somebody will let me know how wrong I have it, everything seems to work fine for me by simply running the game in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode.

I just right click on the DDO icon on my desktop, hit properties, go to compatibility, choose WinXP SP2, and check the compatibility checkbox. Everything runs fine for me after that. Of course I always launch the game from that icon. Before I switched to compatibility mode I would get a hang on the "checking files" part of the login sequence.

System details:
    Vista 64-bit Ultimate Ed.
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2
    Nvidia 7900 GT video card (July 26th, 2007 drivers)
    4 GB RAM (800 MHz DDR2)
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Soundcard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard

I am curious about what files, exactly, can be damaged by running the client as admin. Can you supply more detail?

The reason I ask, is that it seems extremely reckless to disable User Account Control. You do realize that, taking your advice, most users will just LEAVE the UAC disabled permanently. Would you choose to amend your advise by suggesting that users only disable UAC when they wish to play the game...and then enable it again when they are done? Such an action will require an OS restart with each enable/disable...they won't like that.

Whereas, running the DDO Client as Admin, only allows admin rights for THAT APPLICATION, while leaving UAC enabled to protect normal (non-game) web access from the attacks that we DEFINITELY KNOW EXIST. If a user disables his UAC, then after he plays DDO awhile (and shuts the client down) his very next trip to the web will expose him to malware and possible virus attacks.

So, unless you can supply some detail as to what problems running the client as Admin can possibly cause, I must maintain that my method is just as effective and certainly safer overall. Unlike Shugar, I am not willing to accept this as gospel "just because a tech support guy said so", and then regurgitate it up like I know what I'm talking about...I need to know why before I accept.

Disabling UAC will not harm anything on your computer at all. It is an added feature from Vista to make you feel that your system is more secure. So turning it off essentailly makes it as secure as XP was. Tho i am sure people will disagree. UAC just adds that add protection in which it asks you 40 million questions before continuing.

DDO was not built for Vista so running under Vista somet things need to be altered on certain computers.

If you have a firewall up wich Vista also has on by default. you just need to add the dndclient.exe and the dndlauncher.exe to the exception list.

Also most people have a spyware/virus scanner that scans the internet for malware before you go to the website. It is not as big of a deal as microsoft make it out to be.

edit - also running as admin does not always fix the DDO issues.
    Last edited by Recovery; 08-03-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Community Member

Ok I have vista (got it for AOC with 8800 for DX10) my problem is I can click on shortcut the load up screen comes on it starts going down the list...

Connect.....Done
    Examine programs.........Done

Update programs...... ( this is were a timer starts counting down then hits 0 and restarts)

Below this it says-

An update error occurred:

General access denied error

What going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Ok I have vista (got it for AOC with 8800 for DX10) my problem is I can click on shortcut the load up screen comes on it starts going down the list...

Connect.....Done
    Examine programs.........Done

Update programs...... ( this is were a timer starts counting down then hits 0 and restarts)

Below this it says-

An update error occurred:

General access denied error

What going on?
    You can try running as administrator. Go to the install folder of DDO and right click on the dndlauncher.exe and goto properties and click on run as admin. do the same with the dndclient.exe

If that does not work

Disable UAC (user access Control)

Under control panle, user preferences, uncheck UAC for the current user. It will tell y ou to reboot. Reboot and that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Altumus View Post
    Or roughly translated for those of us who haven't jumped thru Microshafts latest hoop, "Don't go there til we have to."
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Default just went through this earlier this week

It's only during file updates that you run into problems. I created a standard account on my and turned off UAC for that account. When I need to update I log into that account and update. I then go back to my normal(full access uac enabled) account to play.

I played for about 4 hours last nite without any problems.
    flaltyne2001
    Xanther Falshun - 16Rogue - Baz Axeman - 8Fighter - Xanone 5Wizard - Argonnessen
    proud member of Prophets of Velah

AllowFakeFullScreen=False

... else you'll crash everytime you zone between gianthold and any of the 'old zones'

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery FUBAR View Post
    Disabling UAC will not harm anything on your computer at all. It is an added feature from Vista to make you feel that your system is more secure. So turning it off essentailly makes it as secure as XP was. Tho i am sure people will disagree. UAC just adds that add protection in which it asks you 40 million questions before continuing.

DDO was not built for Vista so running under Vista somet things need to be altered on certain computers.

If you have a firewall up wich Vista also has on by default. you just need to add the dndclient.exe and the dndlauncher.exe to the exception list.

Also most people have a spyware/virus scanner that scans the internet for malware before you go to the website. It is not as big of a deal as microsoft make it out to be.

edit - also running as admin does not always fix the DDO issues.
    The security in Win XP was simply not good enough...that's why Vista was developped. I can understand turning off the UAC just for playing the game, but if you leave it off when surfing the web then YOU ARE A STRAIGHT-UP IDIOT!

Adding dndclient to firewall exceptions was addresses in my original response. Thanks for repeating.

What "ddo issues" are NOT fixed by running as admin? Care to be more specific (if possible)?
    GOOLAN

The security in Win XP was simply not good enough...that's why Vista was developped. I can understand turning off the UAC just for playing the game, but if you leave it off when surfing the web then YOU ARE A STRAIGHT-UP IDIOT!

Adding dndclient to firewall exceptions was addresses in my original response. Thanks for repeating.

What "ddo issues" are NOT fixed by running as admin? Care to be more specific (if possible)?
    Then i am an idiot... oh well i guess i should just give everyone my ip and passwords now. How could we have ever survived with out UAC for so long. I am being sarcastic. But if you think UAC is the ultimate internet protector... i would do some more research. I am not here to flame, or be rude.

I am guessing you have been hacked before.

I would not rely on anything Microsoft makes to protect me from the internet, including UAC. Use a firewall router, use spyware/antivisrus software. There are tons of things better.

DDO was not built for Vista.

So some people will need to jump through hoops to get it working. All a turbine tech is going to say is that it was not built for Vista and they cannot support it as of yet.
    Last edited by Recovery; 08-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery FUBAR View Post
    Then i am an idiot... oh well i guess i should just give everyone my ip and passwords now. How could we have ever survived with out UAC for so long. I am being sarcastic. But if you think UAC is the ultimate internet protector... i would do some more research. I am not here to flame, or be rude.

I am guessing you have been hacked before.

I would not rely on anything Microsoft makes to protect me from the internet, including UAC. Use a firewall router, use spyware/antivisrus software. There are tons of things better.

DDO was not built for Vista.

So some people will need to jump through hoops to get it working. All a turbine tech is going to say is that it was not built for Vista and they cannot support it as of yet.
    I am not here to flame either. My home network consists of several workstations (XP, Vista, and even a couple Mac's), several servers, and a high quality network appliance. As a Network Consultant, I maintain this "test lab" for the benefit of my several customers. To answer one of your questions: "No, I have never been hacked!" But this is not about me, or what you WANT to be.

The average (overwhelmingly) user, who has bought a PC or laptop since the beginning of the year, will have a machine running Vista. They will also (overwhelmingly) be bringing that system home and hooking it straight up to their internet providers modem (wired or wireless) and trusting the manufacturers choice of software to protect them from harm. For all practicle purposes, this protection will be quite adequate UNLESS they listen to that "hacker kid" down the street who tells them to "turn off" the enabled protection...then they become vulnerable.

I submit that YOUR advice, to users of this type, is harmful and downright dangerous. Pardon me for saying so, but you sound like some kid who read some book, or something (maybe a pamphlet).

DDO was not created for Vista, but I participated in the beta testing of Vista, and was specifically asked to try out DDO for my report. DDO did make the approved games list for Vista...based primarily on the extensive testing done by myself and a handful of other gamers.

So here is the best advice (Im still waiting for Tech Support to provide counter-facts) that we can give at this time...to the average user (as described above):

Right click on the DDO Icon and choose "Run as Administrator". Leave your UAC settings alone. Indeed don't change ANYTHING from what the Vista loaded as default. This is the easiest and safest way to run. Period. Keep in mind, that Turbine Tech Support's main objective is to get THEIR game working on YOUR system...they have no reason to be concerned about your continued system security AFTER you shut down the client. That is, quite simply YOUR concern. Unlike FUBAR, I am attempting to give advice that addresses BOTH concerns. Please take it...or don't.
    Last edited by jeffreyalsip; 08-06-2007 at 02:09 AM.
    GOOLAN

I am not here to flame either. My home network consists of several workstations (XP, Vista, and even a couple Mac's), several servers, and a high quality network appliance. But this is not about me, or what you WANT to be.

The average (overwhelmingly) user, who has bought a PC or laptop since the beginning of the year, will have a machine running Vista. They will also (overwhelmingly) be bringing that system home and hooking it straight up to their internet providers modem (wired or wireless) and trusting the manufacturers choice of software to protect them from harm. For all practicle purposes, this protection will be quite adequate UNLESS they listen to that "hacker kid" down the street who tells them to "turn off" the enabled protection...then they become vulnerable.

I submit that YOUR advice, to users of this type, is harmful and downright dangerous. Pardon me for saying so, but you sound like some kid who read some book, or something (maybe a pamphlet).

DDO was not created for Vista, but I participated in the beta testing of Vista, and was specifically asked to try out DDO for my report. DDO did make the approved games list for Vista...based primarily on the extensive testing done by myself and a handful of other gamers.

So here is the best advice (Im still waiting for Tech Support to provide counter-facts) that we can give at this time...to the average user (as described above):

Right click on the DDO Icon and choose "Run as Administrator". Leave your UAC settings alone. Indeed don't change ANYTHING from what the Vista loaded as default. This is the easiest and safest way to run. Period. Keep in mind, that Turbine Tech Support's main objective is to get THEIR game working on YOUR system...they have no reason to be concerned about your continued system security AFTER you shut down the client. That is, quite simply YOUR concern. Unlike FUBAR, I am attempting to give advice that addresses BOTH concerns. Please take it...or don't.
    UAC is useless, especailly to a new user.

A new user who has very little computer knowledge will see these warning pop ups on everything and after while these UAC warnings will just be clicked on so fast they wont be reading them anymore, what good are they then. Its like crying wolf

You can still get virus and **** on your computer with UAC on, I know I did, being stupid.

For most people turning off Uac is for the best and you should use a good virus protection, adware protection, Firewall(hardware, not software, like windows)

I Beta tested Windows OneCare, after that, I will never, ever trust MS to protect me from anything.

And as for DDO running on Vista, yeah, it will run, but that does not mean much, its not optimized for Vista and it was never tested. People will have problems(not all) with graphics, and Sound(more then likely) because of some last minute changes to the way Vista handles Sound(just ask any creative user)

AS of now, Im back to WinXP. I have flip-flop twice now and this time I will stay until Vista gets its first SP1 and its better optimized for gaming. But atleast my Vista ready, DX10 card runs fricken awsome in XP as it ran like a slug in Vista and DDO.

AMD 64 3500(oc)
    2 gigs
    BFG Nvidia 8800
    BFG nforce4
    Raptor HD
    X-FI
    plus other stuff
    Member of Mythical

Quote Originally Posted by Theboz View Post
    UAC is useless, especailly to a new user.
    Wrong. It is a free tool that can only HELP a new user.

A new user who has very little computer knowledge will see these warning pop ups on everything and after while these UAC warnings will just be clicked on so fast they wont be reading them anymore, what good are they then. Its like crying wolf

You can still get virus and **** on your computer with UAC on, I know I did, being stupid.
    But not EVERYBODY has to be stupid.

For most people turning off Uac is for the best and you should use a good virus protection, adware protection, Firewall(hardware, not software, like windows)
    For "most people"?!?! Most people are not willing, or even required to, buy an expensive Internet Appliance for their one-computer home system. For those who are willing to learn more, and take this extra "hardware" step, I advise you to do an Internet search for the word "Smoothwall". But even this is not necessary if you trust the security that you have.

I Beta tested Windows OneCare, after that, I will never, ever trust MS to protect me from anything.
    Care to give more details? Exactly what was it that YOU did wrong?

And as for DDO running on Vista, yeah, it will run, but that does not mean much, its not optimized for Vista and it was never tested. People will have problems(not all) with graphics, and Sound(more then likely) because of some last minute changes to the way Vista handles Sound(just ask any creative user)
    Are you short on attention span? I just told you that I was part of the Vista Beta testing...and SPECIFICALLY tested DDO. I hate repeating myself.

AS of now, Im back to WinXP. I have flip-flop twice now and this time I will stay until Vista gets its first SP1 and its better optimized for gaming. But atleast my Vista ready, DX10 card runs fricken awsome in XP as it ran like a slug in Vista and DDO.
    So, you have a PC that does not stack up to Vista standards...therefore you MUST run XP to get acceptable performance. Once again (repeating myself AGAIN) I was addressing my response to people who bought their system SINCE the beginning of the year....a system that CAME with Vista preloaded, because their NEWER computer DOES meet the Vista Standards. For those of you (like yourself, apparently) whose computers are sub-standard, this is no reason to hate other users (and their computers) which do meet these standards.
    GOOLAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast