Community Member

Default Drow Assassin/Mechanic... pitfalls?

Real basic approach. 3rd life Drow, so full stat point allocation. Started out with 20's in both Dex and Int. Focusing 1st on Assassin, then will expand into Mechanic. all the level ups are going into Dex. Currently only level 6, and hunting is a bit of a challenge. Ok.. in light armor and low impact on my strikes, its kind of a nightmare. However, I'm confident that getting into Epics will change things significantly, if only for the access to better equipment to make up for short comings.

Best part is, fully maxed skill points in every single relevant skill set, so locksmithing should be awesome, along with sneak, hide etc... Strength based skill sets will lag heavily until I can get into some better equipment. I REALLY hate not being able to wear heavy plate.. SO much win with that, but couldn't afford the 2 feats needed to get into it and make it effective. Had to take Finesse and Precision to improve my attacks and options

I took Drow because it is the ONLY race that can dual 20 at start with Dex and Int, both the absolute pinnacle for a Rogue... everything else can be gained/repaired later, but the Skill Points and Dex are too important to not take advantage of. SR helps a bit too at early levels... smart hunting is what keeps me alive, using bluff and intimidate to draw things out and weed down the opposition/mobs. I have no desire for this build to be a tank, zerg, or anything else.... looking at a traditional Rogue, with traditional role and techniques.

Always interested in folks personal observations and ideas, as well as advice.. thanks!

What weapons are you going for ? Repeaters or daggers or what?

The biggest pitfall is mobs that are hard to sneak attack and whatever else you are using(poison/bleeding, and so on). Undead and stuff. Also healing. CC is kinda hard to do too. Also lack of feats is bad. And you gotta spend a lot of money to UMD stuff you don't have clickies for them.

But pitfalls largely depend on your build. Also how gimp is your CON ? Drow rogues always gimp con, and get instakilled, when rolling a 1 or getting hit with fort save spell, or getting held by wis save(get prot from evil, and FoM, if you can).

So yea, umd all the basic (and possibly extended) protections, and you be ok.Stoneskin, blurr, element resist,prot from evil and healing wand. Jump, invis, heroism Sleet/ice storm, Lightning Sphere and so on.

If you go repeater get a holy of undead bane (add +2 or +3 shard for the extra +[0.5]W damage, if you want, as you level up), if you have crafting level for it. Its like min level 6( or 8? cant remember lesser/regular bane minimum levels). Use flame arrow wand for bolts.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    What weapons are you going for ? Repeaters or daggers or what?

The biggest pitfall is mobs that are hard to sneak attack and whatever else you are using(poison/bleeding, and so on). Undead and stuff. Also healing. CC is kinda hard to do too. Also lack of feats is bad. And you gotta spend a lot of money to UMD stuff you don't have clickies for them.

But pitfalls largely depend on your build. Also how gimp is your CON ? Drow rogues always gimp con, and get instakilled, when rolling a 1 or getting hit with fort save spell, or getting held by wis save(get prot from evil, and FoM, if you can).

So yea, umd all the basic (and possibly extended) protections, and you be ok.Stoneskin, blurr, element resist,prot from evil and healing wand. Jump, invis, heroism Sleet/ice storm, Lightning Sphere and so on.

If you go repeater get a holy of undead bane (add +2 or +3 shard for the extra +[0.5]W damage, if you want, as you level up), if you have crafting level for it. Its like min level 6( or 8? cant remember lesser/regular bane minimum levels). Use flame arrow wand for bolts.
    For blades will end up going Dagger/Kukries for the most part, some short swords... going Gxb for ranged >_< Con isn't very good... here's the lineup at 8

Str 15
    Dex 30
    Con 14
    Int 23
    Wis 14
    Cha 17

129hp, 9 Fort, 21 Reflex, 10 Will

Numbers are a bit higher then you would think... I'm wearing the Chronos set & a set of Light Armor with Greater Stability on it.. so that helps a TON. Also got a couple decent random gen items for stat boosts & effects..
    Last edited by LargoKeyWest; 05-06-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Ultimate Lord of Shadows Dreppo's Avatar

Do you have Harper, and if so, why go DEX-based rather than INT-based?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    Do you have Harper, and if so, why go DEX-based rather than INT-based?
    Yes I have Harper... but going Int based thru Harper takes points away from the Assassin and Mechanics trees. Also not interested in costing YET ANOTHER feat just so I can use Int for Reflex saves... no thanks

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Well, you can see my Mechassin thread for a pre-U25 build. The main downside is still lack of feats for both melee & ranged DPS; and only being able to take one set of T5 abilities. And APs are pretty tight regardless.

I have been contemplating Assassin builds who use throwing daggers as a backup. BTW, does Lethality work with throwing weapons or is it melee-only?
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Well, you can see my Mechassin thread for a pre-U25 build. The main downside is still lack of feats for both melee & ranged DPS; and only being able to take one set of T5 abilities. And APs are pretty tight regardless.

I have been contemplating Assassin builds who use throwing daggers as a backup. BTW, does Lethality work with throwing weapons or is it melee-only?
    QUOTE:
    Lethality will be changed to only work with one handed weapons.

Sev~
    END QUOTE.

not sure if one handed weapons are considered one handed throwing daggers.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Usually when Turbine says "one-handed weapons," they mean one-handed melee weapons, because throwing weapons can't be put into your offhand. [Also with regards to SWF, it's definitely melee-only.] But I'm kinda hoping this is an exception to the norm, since it would make throwing daggers into 18-20/x4 weapons, same as regular daggers.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.