Default Looking for THF (staves) FvS, any help appreciated

Looking to do FvS next with my would be completionist. At outset decided all lives would be done using staves. Never realy played caster, but am currently doing a cleric at the moment and is fun for now. Currently using https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-Cleric-Build and it is a blast. So anyone know of a THF FvS build I could use/adapt for my needs?

Thanks in advance

Emi

Use Numot's Soul Survivor Build as a start...

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...at-Tank-hybrid

I did this as Warforged with greatswords and battle priest enhancements... wow...

unfortunately there are no deities that like quarterstaffs... but much solid advice / guidance there.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emizand View Post
    Looking to do FvS next with my would be completionist. At outset decided all lives would be done using staves. Never realy played caster, but am currently doing a cleric at the moment and is fun for now. Currently using https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-Cleric-Build and it is a blast. So anyone know of a THF FvS build I could use/adapt for my needs?
    I think every staff build should have at least 2 rog lvls for Acrobatics (+15% atk speed) and Quick Strike (Acro version has shorter CD than Henshin's). Ideally you also have the +1 crit range & multiplier bonus from T5 Acro or Henshin as well; but that means doing something like rog 5 / FvS 15, rog 5 / <ftr | pal | monk> 3 / FvS 12, or rog 2 / monk 6 / FvS 12, which might mean sacrificing more spells than you want. OTOH, if you want to be melee-focused and FvS is just for buffs, heals, and PL feat, then the heavily-MCed options are fine.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Default Ubongwah advice is sound

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I think every staff build should have at least 2 rog lvls for Acrobatics (+15% atk speed) and Quick Strike (Acro version has shorter CD than Henshin's). Ideally you also have the +1 crit range & multiplier bonus from T5 Acro or Henshin as well; but that means doing something like rog 5 / FvS 15, rog 5 / <ftr | pal | monk> 3 / FvS 12, or rog 2 / monk 6 / FvS 12, which might mean sacrificing more spells than you want. OTOH, if you want to be melee-focused and FvS is just for buffs, heals, and PL feat, then the heavily-MCed options are fine.
    Fvs is either a more survivable battle cleric or an instakill caster With 17/18+ levels. The can add up to 6 caster levels for 6 ap if I remember right, which is huge. For my first completionist life I went 15 fvs 3 pally 2 ftr in undying court. I think I can give you 2 builds that would function enough to get you this past life and be fun enough.

I'm typing this on my phone and if you have questions that don't get answered by other commenters, feel free to PM me.

I don't know what races or what you have so I'll keep it as simple as possible.

First idea. Human 14 fvs 5 rogue 1 ftr.

14 fvs will net you blade barrier and heal. 5 rogue will make your stick feel godly, and 1 ftr for heavy armor and 1 feat. Assuming 32 pt builds, but max str or con when possible. These builds cannot be trappers, or it would be hard to do unless you have tomes and PLs.

Stat
    Str 16
    Dex 8
    Con 16
    Int 8 (10 if possible, but best used in str, con, or charisma first)
    Wis 8
    Cha 14-15

This will get you all you need to win the war and live. All ability ups in str and highest charisma item. Scroll divine power or grab the spell and use extend. Use tensor scrolls if you get UMD high enough. Should be backing around 40 or more str around 12 forward

Skills UMD, Heal, whatever is important to you, balance or spell power maybe.

Rog THF and Power Attack
    Fvs
    Rog Cleave (wear light armor until fight level)
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs extend
    Rog
    Ftr improved THF (should have six bab at level 8 w/ ftr, wear heavy armor here)
    Rog empowered heal
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Rog IC Bludgeon (take acrobat tier 5 for +1 crit range/multiplier asap)
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs greater THF
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs great cleave
    Fvs
    Fvs

1 in Human for damage boost
    31 in rog for crit range and multiplier

The second build is more complex, but just as fun, though centered and evasive defense isn't as superior to heavy armor these days. This build probably will not shine either until later after master of forms, but would crit harder.

Same starting stats as other build and skill priority. It is important to take the monk feats as is. I thought of feats first, not skill points, so rog isn't first level.

Human
    Fvs extend/emp healing
    Monk THF
    Monk power attack
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Monk cleave/ fist of light
    Monk
    Fvs
    Monk improved THF
    Monk deflect arrows or whatever
    Fvs
    Fvs IC bludgeon
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs master of forms or gthf
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs gthf
    Fvs
    Fvs

Run in eart stance when you pick up master of forms.

22 ap in war priest for amorelating strike
    32 in monk stick tree for 1 crit and range and other monk goodies
    11 in acrobat for 15% attack speed and 25% ds 14 for attack speed action boost if it's still there.
    11 in ninja for shadow veil. Dodge, reflex save and dodge cap, SA are good choices
    1 in human for 20% damage boost

It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian69 View Post
    Fvs is either a more survivable battle cleric or an instakill caster With 17/18+ levels. The can add up to 6 caster levels for 6 ap if I remember right, which is huge. For my first completionist life I went 15 fvs 3 pally 2 ftr in undying court. I think I can give you 2 builds that would function enough to get you this past life and be fun enough.

I'm typing this on my phone and if you have questions that don't get answered by other commenters, feel free to PM me.

I don't know what races or what you have so I'll keep it as simple as possible.

First idea. Human 14 fvs 5 rogue 1 ftr.

14 fvs will net you blade barrier and heal. 5 rogue will make your stick feel godly, and 1 ftr for heavy armor and 1 feat. Assuming 32 pt builds, but max str or con when possible. These builds cannot be trappers, or it would be hard to do unless you have tomes and PLs.

Stat
    Str 16
    Dex 8
    Con 16
    Int 8 (10 if possible, but best used in str, con, or charisma first)
    Wis 8
    Cha 14-15

This will get you all you need to win the war and live. All ability ups in str and highest charisma item. Scroll divine power or grab the spell and use extend. Use tensor scrolls if you get UMD high enough. Should be backing around 40 or more str around 12 forward

Skills UMD, Heal, whatever is important to you, balance or spell power maybe.

Rog THF and Power Attack
    Fvs
    Rog Cleave (wear light armor until fight level)
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs extend
    Rog
    Ftr improved THF (should have six bab at level 8 w/ ftr, wear heavy armor here)
    Rog empowered heal
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Rog IC Bludgeon (take acrobat tier 5 for +1 crit range/multiplier asap)
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs greater THF
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs great cleave
    Fvs
    Fvs

1 in Human for damage boost
    31 in rog for crit range and multiplier

The second build is more complex, but just as fun, though centered and evasive defense isn't as superior to heavy armor these days. This build probably will not shine either until later after master of forms, but would crit harder.

Same starting stats as other build and skill priority. It is important to take the monk feats as is. I thought of feats first, not skill points, so rog isn't first level.

Human
    Fvs extend/emp healing
    Monk THF
    Monk power attack
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Monk cleave/ fist of light
    Monk
    Fvs
    Monk improved THF
    Monk deflect arrows or whatever
    Fvs
    Fvs IC bludgeon
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs master of forms or gthf
    Fvs
    Fvs
    Fvs gthf
    Fvs
    Fvs

Run in eart stance when you pick up master of forms.

22 ap in war priest for amorelating strike
    32 in monk stick tree for 1 crit and range and other monk goodies
    11 in acrobat for 15% attack speed and 25% ds 14 for attack speed action boost if it's still there.
    11 in ninja for shadow veil. Dodge, reflex save and dodge cap, SA are good choices
    1 in human for 20% damage boost

It's a start.
    Emp heal also boosts amorelating strike when turned on, not sure if it gives monk's fist of light a boost, but I assume

Community Member

On my last life of my completionist, druid, i went for a wis-based staffy/caster with 2 rogue levels. This only works with stave of the seer, and dont forget adamantine ritual on it since it breaks easily. Having two seer staves would be even better, but its annoying to farm. If you dont want to farm for the stave, better go str based.

Im on my 4th staffy life now, this time going for 14 pally 3 rogue 3 monk (looks a bit strange, for a pure str based melee staffy 14/5/1 or 15/4/1 is better, but mine is dex based with a strong shuriken option). Having a collection of the better named staves helps a lot (especially Chieftains, Theurgists and Stave of the Seer).

About the build which "cant go trappers": drop con and cha to 14, raise int to 14, get those trapskills. 30% more xp in many quests. No reason not to go trapper with 5 rogue levels. My current build started with 10 con.
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Thanks for the feedback guys. Have barb, fighter, Pal, monk, rogue, bard, ranger and druid pl's currently working on cleric. Gear isnt a problem, neither are tomes. Just dont want someone to accept to lfm's expecting to get a healer, will probably solo most, but there are quests where i will need lever pullers and such.

Sort of allergic to monk, too many buttons for me.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

It sounds like you're leaning towards a heavily MCed melee-focused option; so the second question is do you want centered toon or not? If you do, I think rog 2 / monk 6 / FvS 12 is the way to go; that gets you Shadow Veil, 3 extra feats, and Adept of Forms. If not, here's one possibility: rog 5 / pal 3 / FvS 12.

12/5/3 Favored Soul/Rogue/Paladin
    Lawful Good Human

Level Order

1. Rogue. . . . . .6. Favored Soul. .11. Rogue. . . . . 16. Favored Soul
    2. Paladin. . . . .7. Favored Soul. .12. Rogue. . . . . 17. Favored Soul
    3. Paladin. . . . .8. Favored Soul. .13. Favored Soul . 18. Favored Soul
    4. Rogue. . . . . .9. Favored Soul. .14. Favored Soul . 19. Favored Soul
    5. Paladin. . . . 10. Rogue . . . . .15. Favored Soul . 20. Favored Soul

Stats
    . . . . . . . .36pt. . .Tome . . Level Up
    . . . . . . . .----. . .---- . . --------
    Strength. . . . 17 . . . +6. . . .4: STR
    Dexterity . . . .9 . . . +6. . . .8: STR
    Constitution. . 16 . . . +6. . . 12: STR
    Intelligence. . 10 . . . +6. . . 16: STR
    Wisdom. . . . . .8 . . . +6. . . 20: STR
    Charisma. . . . 16 . . . +6. . . 24: STR
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: STR

Feats

.1. . . . : Two Handed Fighting
    .1 Human. : Power Attack
    .2 Deity. : Follower of: Sovereign Host
    .3. . . . : Cleave
    .6. . . . : Great Cleave
    .8 Deity. :
    .9. . . . : Improved Two Handed Fighting
    12. . . . : Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    13 FavSoul:
    14 Deity. : Unyielding Sovereignty
    15. . . . : Greater Two Handed Fighting
    18. . . . : Precision
    18 FavSoul:
    20 Deity. :
    21 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
    24 Epic . :
    26 Destiny:
    27 Epic . :
    28 Destiny:

Enhancements (80 AP)

Human (3 AP)

• Damage Boost

1. Improved Recovery

Thief-Acrobat (36 AP)

• Staff Control

1. Acrobat Staff Training, Thief Acrobatics III, Fast Movement
      2. Acrobat Staff Training, Quick Strike III, Haste Boost III
      3. Acrobat Staff Training, Sweeping Strikes III
      4. No Mercy III, Staff Lunge III
      5. Staff Specialization, Spinning Staff Wall, Vault

Warpriest (22 AP)

• Smite Foe, Resilience of Battle, Sanctuary

1. Divine Might III, Sacred Touch III
      2. Smite Weakness, Wall of Steel III, Inflame III
      3. Inflame: Energy Absorption III
      4. Ameliorating Strike

Sacred Defender (6 AP)

• Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense

1. Item Defense I, Durable Defense III

Knight of the Chalice (13 AP)

• Slayer of Evil, Courage of Heaven

1. Extra Smite II, Attack Boost I
      2. Exalted Cleave III, Melee Power Boost I
      3. Divine Sacrifice I, Exalted Smite I

This is only a partial build; I haven't put any thought into optimizing leveling order nor did I pick every feat. Since I took Exalted Cleave and Sweeping Strikes, instead of CL+GC, you could take a couple of metamagics if you move up the FvS lvls; or tactics feats like Stunning Blow if you think you can get your DCs high enough. I specced for lt armor to keep Evasion and use Spinning Staff Wall; but it can be tweaked for med/hvy armor and Gtr Defensive Stance.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    It sounds like you're leaning towards a heavily MCed melee-focused option; so the second question is do you want centered toon or not? If you do, I think rog 2 / monk 6 / FvS 12 is the way to go; that gets you Shadow Veil, 3 extra feats, and Adept of Forms. If not, here's one possibility: rog 5 / pal 3 / FvS 12.

12/5/3 Favored Soul/Rogue/Paladin
    Lawful Good Human

Level Order

1. Rogue. . . . . .6. Favored Soul. .11. Rogue. . . . . 16. Favored Soul
    2. Paladin. . . . .7. Favored Soul. .12. Rogue. . . . . 17. Favored Soul
    3. Paladin. . . . .8. Favored Soul. .13. Favored Soul . 18. Favored Soul
    4. Rogue. . . . . .9. Favored Soul. .14. Favored Soul . 19. Favored Soul
    5. Paladin. . . . 10. Rogue . . . . .15. Favored Soul . 20. Favored Soul

Stats
    . . . . . . . .36pt. . .Tome . . Level Up
    . . . . . . . .----. . .---- . . --------
    Strength. . . . 17 . . . +6. . . .4: STR
    Dexterity . . . .9 . . . +6. . . .8: STR
    Constitution. . 16 . . . +6. . . 12: STR
    Intelligence. . 10 . . . +6. . . 16: STR
    Wisdom. . . . . .8 . . . +6. . . 20: STR
    Charisma. . . . 16 . . . +6. . . 24: STR
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: STR

Feats

.1. . . . : Two Handed Fighting
    .1 Human. : Power Attack
    .2 Deity. : Follower of: Sovereign Host
    .3. . . . : Cleave
    .6. . . . : Great Cleave
    .8 Deity. :
    .9. . . . : Improved Two Handed Fighting
    12. . . . : Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    13 FavSoul:
    14 Deity. : Unyielding Sovereignty
    15. . . . : Greater Two Handed Fighting
    18. . . . : Precision
    18 FavSoul:
    20 Deity. :
    21 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
    24 Epic . :
    26 Destiny:
    27 Epic . :
    28 Destiny:

Enhancements (80 AP)

Human (3 AP)

• Damage Boost

1. Improved Recovery

Thief-Acrobat (36 AP)

• Staff Control

1. Acrobat Staff Training, Thief Acrobatics III, Fast Movement
      2. Acrobat Staff Training, Quick Strike III, Haste Boost III
      3. Acrobat Staff Training, Sweeping Strikes III
      4. No Mercy III, Staff Lunge III
      5. Staff Specialization, Spinning Staff Wall, Vault

Warpriest (22 AP)

• Smite Foe, Resilience of Battle, Sanctuary

1. Divine Might III, Sacred Touch III
      2. Smite Weakness, Wall of Steel III, Inflame III
      3. Inflame: Energy Absorption III
      4. Ameliorating Strike

Sacred Defender (6 AP)

• Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense

1. Item Defense I, Durable Defense III

Knight of the Chalice (13 AP)

• Slayer of Evil, Courage of Heaven

1. Extra Smite II, Attack Boost I
      2. Exalted Cleave III, Melee Power Boost I
      3. Divine Sacrifice I, Exalted Smite I

This is only a partial build; I haven't put any thought into optimizing leveling order nor did I pick every feat. Since I took Exalted Cleave and Sweeping Strikes, instead of CL+GC, you could take a couple of metamagics if you move up the FvS lvls; or tactics feats like Stunning Blow if you think you can get your DCs high enough. I specced for lt armor to keep Evasion and use Spinning Staff Wall; but it can be tweaked for med/hvy armor and Gtr Defensive Stance.
    This I like, but would probably invest more in Sacred Defender for 2nd lot of Sacred Defence and go up to 13 AP for +3 to saves. That aside, and I do need to consider it, I think you have nailed it Unb. TYVM.

Emi