Community Member

Default Helf FvS monk dilletante questions

I recently rolled a Helf pure FvS. Her dilletante feat is monk, which I took for the +2 wisdom modifier to AC ( and yes, could have taken pal dil with that AC bonus and be able to wear armor. Or the barb dil for the DR.)
    Anyway, I can't wear armor now, though my Shield spell helps. There's also the centered thing. Should I be concerned about this? Is there a problem with using non monk weapons ? Conversely, what about using monk weapons as a FvS? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by bronzedragon18 View Post
    I recently rolled a Helf pure FvS. Her dilletante feat is monk, which I took for the +2 wisdom modifier to AC ( and yes, could have taken pal dil with that AC bonus and be able to wear armor. Or the barb dil for the DR.)
    Anyway, I can't wear armor now, though my Shield spell helps. There's also the centered thing. Should I be concerned about this? Is there a problem with using non monk weapons ? Conversely, what about using monk weapons as a FvS? Any advice is much appreciated!!
    Completely ignore the wisdom to ac. That's a trap, the armor bonus that provides to AC will never compete with real armor.

The powerful part of the monk dilettante is the 10% improved recovery enhancements. On a favored soul though, you won't be relying on scrolls or potions for your own healing, so healing amp is less important to you than say a fighter or barbarian. As for the centered thing, so long as you're Defensively centered (ie. not wearing a shield or armor) you're absolutely fine. You can equip any weapon you want, being offensively centered will not negatively impact your wisdom - AC score.

I'm not sure how many levels you've gained so far, but I do feel like you may well be better off swapping your feat for the paladin dill, or perhaps to a lesser degree the fighter dil.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    The powerful part of the monk dilettante is the 10% improved recovery enhancements.
    <snip>
    ...you may well be better off swapping your feat for the paladin dill, or perhaps to a lesser degree the fighter dil.
    Depends on his build. For a melee-focused FvS, I'd agree with you.

But for a caster FvS, Monk dil can get an extra +1 Wisdom. (Well, you can also get it from Clr/Drd/FvS dil, but I think the 10% heal amp is a bit better than 3 spell power.)

Community Member

Default oops

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Completely ignore the wisdom to ac. That's a trap, the armor bonus that provides to AC will never compete with real armor.

The powerful part of the monk dilettante is the 10% improved recovery enhancements. On a favored soul though, you won't be relying on scrolls or potions for your own healing, so healing amp is less important to you than say a fighter or barbarian. As for the centered thing, so long as you're Defensively centered (ie. not wearing a shield or armor) you're absolutely fine. You can equip any weapon you want, being offensively centered will not negatively impact your wisdom - AC score.

I'm not sure how many levels you've gained so far, but I do feel like you may well be better off swapping your feat for the paladin dill, or perhaps to a lesser degree the fighter dil.
    Should have added that my helf FvS is L2 , TWF and a caster build .And she has the Storm dragonmark ! oh and I`m going with the Angel of Vengeance prestige ...
    You`re right on the +2 AC , as far as it goes . i would point out , however , that the improved dil feat ups this to +5 Wis bonus by L6 , plus by taking the elven path ,in the racial tree , I can gain +1 dex . Add that to a + 1 supreme tome and a couple of Wis points , and you`re looking at an extra +2 to AC on top of my current 14 AC ( 10 +2 Dex +2 Wis ) , which gives 16 AC plus my Shield spell ups that to 20 ! Not bad for a L6 caster FvS ! Nor does this take into account items !
    2nd , you`re right again the 10% improved recovery is great ! Again though , I can duplicate and better that through the racial and Fvs trees ! And thanks for confirming the centered thing ! From testing , I already suspected as much , but wanted to confirm ...
    On the dil feats , I gave much thought to them . The Cleric , FvS and Druid dils went out the window firstly because they didn`t offer anything much to me . The Rogue dil didn`t fit her playstyle , nor did the Sor. and Wiz dils really offer anything as I always put points into UMD . The Fighter dil is tempting , the Martial Weapons feat is good ! OTOH , , my FvS is TWF , which knocks out several of the choices and my Sovereign Host feat offers longsword prof already . Most of what else I need is already covered as a caster FvS !
    The +2 to all saves on the pal dil is also tempting , but again , I can both duplicate and exceed that on the racial and AOV trees . The Bar dil DR is also tempting and I may yet change my dil feat , but the reasons I went with the monk dil is of course the AC bonus plus gaining access to some cool weapons ! i`ve already tested some +1 handwraps in combat and she`s surprisingly good with them , albeit with the aid of a summoned monster and a hireling . still my FvS more than held her own , Hmmmmm ....