Default leveling on Wayfinder - a real Challenge

Hi,

my main server is Cannith where I have 11 toons from level 1-20. I just recently made a toon on Wayfinder to check out the "german" community there (I'm german). I made a sorcerer ("Nuklear") since I thought that should be easy and nice to level. I tried to get an elite streak going, so I decided to quickly do the Korthos quests on elite.

First thing I realized: Oh, I don't have Veteran Status, so I have to start at level 1. And really, burning hands on level 1 is not the most powerful spell. Especially when you don't have any means of enhancing its power (no potency, no combustion, no inferno clicky). Since I didn't even have a single coin, I couldn't even get a hireling to heal me...

So I failed in my try to solo the level 1 quests on elite. I never had these problems on my main server, because I have twink gear for all the levels and enough money to buy any potion/hireling/weapon I need. But without money this is not an option.

Furthermore, I noticed that the AH is almost empty, especially for gear I usually use a lot on casters - like superior spell enhancement clickys, False life items, Major Lore items and so on. I couldn't even find a robe of heavy fortification yet.

So almost all of my gear is found or I got it as quest rewards. Can you imagine how happy I was when I finally pulled a Superior Inferno II mace from a quest? Finally a way to boost my Scorch and Scorching Ray damage! On my home server I have several clickys lying around, and if I need anything else, I just buy it at the AH - these things are in abundance on Cannith, and they are not even expensive...

So in my experience, leveling a first time toon is a bigger challenge on wayfinder than on any other server where you can at least buy the needed items from the AH. Furthermore, I noticed how much the ship buffs from a level 70 guild (including large guild crystals) made the low level content even easier (I actually died from Kobold Shamans lighning bolts). And its even harder if you try to keep an elite streak up, since you usually have to solo the elite quests, (lfms fill very slowly once you left harbor/marketplace or if you are doing P2P content). I already had several occasions, where I actually had to release and reenter the quest, to get my quest completion.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting experience - it has a kind of "new and fresh" feeling attached to it.

So what I'm saying is: If you are bored of the game at your home server, try to level a fresh toon on Wayfinder while keeping an elite streak going - this is a real challenge!

Cheers

Baloran (Nuklear on Wayfinder)

Community Member

Welcome to the daily life of a Mortal Voyage PD player. Where an encounter with a Kobold Shaman is to be dreaded.

Glad to see you having fun on a brand new untwinked toon. Sure brings a sense of challenge back.

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post
    Welcome to the daily life of a Mortal Voyage PD player. Where an encounter with a Kobold Shaman is to be dreaded.

Glad to see you having fun on a brand new untwinked toon. Sure brings a sense of challenge back.
    I really can't imagine to do this on Permadeath. I guess I would still be level one if I always rerolled after I died.

On the other hand I could imagine it could be done in a full group who actually uses teamplay plays and tactics in encounters.

Cheers

Baloran

Community Member

Hope your having fun! Already tr'd on the server and working my way back up. Hit me up in game if you need something crafted ~Schnellcast

Community Member

Ja kann ich mir sehr gut vorstellen

Ich hab jetzt auch 2x 4,3 millionen xp hinter mir (2 TRs auf Drache) um mein Feat wiederzubekommen und musste meinen letzten TR 95% solo bestreiten da es fast niemanden gibt der ebenfalls xp braucht

Da ich viel Geld und Twink Items habe ist das natürlich im Rahmen des Möglichen gewesen.

Aber auf meinem Weg zu 20 konnte ich so doch einige interessante Solo Abenteuer bestreiten...ua. Elite Cursed Crypt mit 14, Normal Gianthold Tor mit 15, Alle Shroud Flag Quests auf Elite mit 18.

Alles Dinge die ich auf meinem vorigen Server nicht gemacht hätte. Hat aber im endeffekt Spaß gemacht und war ne Herausforderung.
    Orien: Drache-V36, Merkades-V6 , Askasia-Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Baloran View Post
    Nevertheless, it is an interesting experience - it has a kind of "new and fresh" feeling attached to it.

So what I'm saying is: If you are bored of the game at your home server, try to level a fresh toon on Wayfinder while keeping an elite streak going - this is a real challenge!

Cheers

Baloran (Nuklear on Wayfinder)
    I approve this message.

Cogdoc

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post
    Aber auf meinem Weg zu 20 konnte ich so doch einige interessante Solo Abenteuer bestreiten...ua. Elite Cursed Crypt mit 14, Normal Gianthold Tor mit 15, Alle Shroud Flag Quests auf Elite mit 18.

Alles Dinge die ich auf meinem vorigen Server nicht gemacht hätte. Hat aber im endeffekt Spaß gemacht und war ne Herausforderung.
    Sehe ich genauso. Ich musste mich aber bereits geschlagen geben als ich Tangleroot Elite solo mit meinem Level 5 Sorc versucht habe. Ich habs dann nach ein paar Anläufen auf Hard gemacht (und meine Elite Streak aufgegeben), habe inzwischen aber wieder eine Elite Streak am laufen. Ich bin aber gespannt, wie lange ich Elite auf meinem schlecht ausgerüsteten Sorc noch durchhalte. Als nächstes stehen bei mir die Level 9 Quests auf Elite an.

Mal sehen wie weit ich noch komme, bevor ich ein bis zwei Gänge zurückschalten muss...

Viele Grüße

Baloran

If you are playing untwinked and self-found, crafting is your friend. Superior Inferno II is a level 11 recipe, which means you have a 50% chance of making it fresh off the boat. Do the tutorial and you have a 60% chance of making it. I play all of my toons untwinked, self-found and solo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuntherBovine View Post
    If you are playing untwinked and self-found, crafting is your friend. Superior Inferno II is a level 11 recipe, which means you have a 50% chance of making it fresh off the boat. Do the tutorial and you have a 60% chance of making it. I play all of my toons untwinked, self-found and solo.
    I actually already did visit the Crafting Hall to see what I need to craft a Superior Inferno IV clicky (I want that for firewall). Then I realized that I don't even have a single Greater Fire Essence yet.... Since I sell / AH most stuff which I don't need for myself (I need some money), I don't have enough left for deconstructing. I also have the impression that the drop rate of essences in chests was greatly reduced (and suddenly we can buy essences in the DDO store - interesting coincidence...).

Therefore I don't have enough Essences to craft anything useful yet.

But I will keep it in mind.

Cheers

Baloran

I actually already did visit the Crafting Hall to see what I need to craft a Superior Inferno IV clicky (I want that for firewall). Then I realized that I don't even have a single Greater Fire Essence yet.... Since I sell / AH most stuff which I don't need for myself (I need some money), I don't have enough left for deconstructing.
    I don't know how things are on Wayfinder as I have only played there a little bit. On all the other servers, I make my money selling collectables. See my "Make Money Fast" thread in my sig. Selling your items that you can deconstruct on the AH is a money winner in the short term, but I think a money loser in the long term.

I also have the impression that the drop rate of essences in chests was greatly reduced (and suddenly we can buy essences in the DDO store - interesting coincidence...).
    I wish we would have some Dev guidance on this. I decided to write a "Make Money Fast (in U11 DDO)" thread, so I started a new toon on Ghallanda and completed all of the level 1 quests on Normal and completed enough level 2 quests on Normal to level up. No essences in chests. I then decided it would be better if I did the toon on a different server, so I created a new toon on Sarlona. I did all of the level 1 quests on Normal and all of the level 2 quests on Normal. No essences in chest. OTOH, my level 13 toon is finding essences in chests, though not as often as prior to U11. Regardless, I think the price of essences on the AH are less now than prior to U11. So I don't think it is "Turbine nerfed the drops to make people buy from the store" thing and more of a "Turbine nerfed the drops to keep the bottom from falling out of the essence market" thing.