Default Keyboard monster/target selection is still broken

Bug reported it to death in beta/lamannia. You still can't target objects super-close to your character.

1) Run against a door, hit your select-nearest-object key, nothing.
    2) Run against a monster/portal, hit your select-nearest-enemy key, nothing.
    3) Even with the new targeting cr4p off, killing a monster or having your current target teleport away will auto-select a new monster.

All stuff that was reported in beta multiple times, all still broken.

I had a different problem as well. I was running on my cleric from a group of mobs trying to heal myself. unfortunately every time I was trying to fire off a spell targeting system was on one of the mobs which ran around even after I pressed F1 to select myself.
    I will try to play with options but it really got me frustrated.

Is your "Soft Targeting" on or off? What about the "Auto Target Monsters". There are a TON of new targeting options in there and I found I had to fiddle with them to get it to where I like it.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."
    -Barry LePatner

Quote Originally Posted by Mercules View Post
    Is your "Soft Targeting" on or off? What about the "Auto Target Monsters". There are a TON of new targeting options in there and I found I had to fiddle with them to get it to where I like it.
    I turned off the new targeting system (defaults to g key) and then removed the toggle key from my keymap so I could not accidentally turn it on. According to Turbine's claims during the beta, this should leave me with the old system exactly as it was.

In general, it works ok with the above exceptions.

My cleric turned her soft tageting off and found it much easier to heal and cast--esp since all the new battles have porting monsters that kept jumping into my soft target.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post
    I turned off the new targeting system (defaults to g key) and then removed the toggle key from my keymap so I could not accidentally turn it on. According to Turbine's claims during the beta, this should leave me with the old system exactly as it was.

In general, it works ok with the above exceptions.
    Ok... look through the list, I believe there are about 3 other things that cause you to "soft target" things but I can't recall the names and I am at work.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."
    -Barry LePatner

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercules View Post
    Ok... look through the list, I believe there are about 3 other things that cause you to "soft target" things but I can't recall the names and I am at work.
    Oh, there are...

BUT, when you copy your preferences and keymap file like they suggest before updating, then copy it back after updating, the system merrily applies all the new defaults (including the soft-target and auto-target ones) to your settings when it doesn't find a reference to them in the old-version files...so if you're expecting your Mod8-style preferences to remain you're SOL. You'll get to "enjoy" everything new but your old keymaps...I *think* retaining the old keymap file might actually work for those...didn't find anything out of place in my limited run last night.

Speaking of which, ran around a little bit last night and even knowing roughly what to expect I found myself rather frustrated trying to FvS-heal folks. After the adventure I went in and roto-rooted through the targeting options...hope I found everything. No caster of mine can use the new system, be they healer or arcane. Guess it's another "great for melee...what do you mean there are other classes than melee ones?" moment in the dev cycle. Next time I play I'll find out...I'll have to pick a small encounter or two before any serious play to make sure.
    Suggestion to Turbine: Have new character slots open up automatically based on months since account start date.
    Update: EU+Store = close enough. Thank you.