Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    I noticed that you have greensteel Greataxe for AC. If you are wielding anything other then kama, Qstaff or handwraps for melee weapons, do you still get the Monk AC bonus thru Wis? Dont' you become uncentered?

I do believe that is correct.. have to use monk weapons, or you lose all monk abilities while uncentered...
    Roving Guns - Sarlona
    Cashery

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    I'll grant that you seem confident you either already have or can get all the tomes you listed, but this statement is still misleading. If tomes really did "drop like candy" there would be enough of a glut of them that some people would post them on the AH for less than the current 6- and 7-digit prices. As things stand at the moment, no one who doesn't already have a capped character is going to be buying any +2 tomes, and even +1 tomes most people have to put some time into bargain-hunting if they want them before capping a character.
    Well Arian, I know Davey (he's on my server) and unless I missed my mark I think his "library" probably has about 2 whole pages of +2 tomes of every flavor, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    I'll grant that you seem confident you either already have or can get all the tomes you listed, but this statement is still misleading. If tomes really did "drop like candy" there would be enough of a glut of them that some people would post them on the AH for less than the current 6- and 7-digit prices. As things stand at the moment, no one who doesn't already have a capped character is going to be buying any +2 tomes, and even +1 tomes most people have to put some time into bargain-hunting if they want them before capping a character.
    Yeah four +2 tomes and a half dozen specific raid items would make any build look good.

I have looted a couple dozen +1 tomes over the past two years, but have yet to loot a +2 or +3 tome other than the 1750 favor ones. So I don't have a problem with builds including a single +2 tome and all the +1 tomes they want, but beyond that it's just not a realistic build for anyone but the elite.
    Code:
     Sil - Human Paladin 14              Lava Divers           Tad - Drow Wizard 14
     Semolina - Elf Rog 13/Ftr 1             on              Rava - Drow Sorceror 7
     Riddikulus - Human Cleric 14          Khyber         Clamor - Warforged Barb 7
     Durum - Dwarf Ftr 10/Pal 3/Rng 1                Ridd - Dwarf Ftr 6/Rog 2/Pal 2

Well I certainly can't convince anyone that items are easily obtainable.

But I thought maybe there was a little more to this guy we could discuss other than what he's wearing.

+2 Tomes and raid loot are used (in my case) on a character build breakdown to show the potential. I mean it's not as if this build would be completely useless and no fun at all if he couldn't pull 1/2 the things on the list in the OP. It would just present you the challenge of getting those things and keep you motivated to pound those raids, if YOUR personal desire was to reach maximum potential of this character.

Different people play different ways, I suppose. I've always enjoyed rolling a character that would benefit greatly from some hard-to-find items, and the challenge of achieving those items.

That all being said. Would anyone:
    take a different feat than the 2nd toughness?
    Adjust the stats at all?
    Try this with a different race?
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaParlospiGodithGearey Gygax]

And as for the losing WIS bonus to AC for wielding a greataxe, that is absolutely incorrect.
    The requirement for the WIS bonus is to not wear armor/shield and not be encumbered.

I have a Ranger/Monk using rapiers/shortswords, and he very much enjoys his WIS bonus.

Not being centered keeps you from using monk special attacks, stances, and ki generation. None of which concerns this build at all.

Solid build Davey, here is my 2 cents...

1) I would dump one toughness and add something like cleave. With 450+ hp 18 extra hp < extra damage from cleave or another combat feat/extend spell ect

2) Eventually the dev's will fix the remining balanced while using non monk weapons (like they did evasion)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett View Post
    And as for the losing WIS bonus to AC for wielding a greataxe, that is absolutely incorrect.
    The requirement for the WIS bonus is to not wear armor/shield and not be encumbered.

I have a Ranger/Monk using rapiers/shortswords, and he very much enjoys his WIS bonus.

Not being centered keeps you from using monk special attacks, stances, and ki generation. None of which concerns this build at all.
    Thanks for the answering. I didn't know for sure about being uncentered and what you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondallar View Post

2) Eventually the dev's will fix the remining balanced while using non monk weapons (like they did evasion)
    That would be my guess.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by Jondallar View Post
    Solid build Davey, here is my 2 cents...

1) I would dump one toughness and add something like cleave. With 450+ hp 18 extra hp < extra damage from cleave or another combat feat/extend spell ect

1)Totally open to something other than the 2nd toughness. Cleave's certainly an option.
    2)Centered Bonus wasn't calculated in the AC of this build (center bonus and WIS bonus are two different things, with two different requirements).

Thank you for the comments/compliments, and nice to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
    So, In Order To "Fix" Paladins (From What I Gather)

1) Not Pure: You Need To Splash Monk
    2) Gear: You Need To Farm; Chattering Ring/Belt Of The Brute/+8 Armor Bracers/Icy Raiment/Head Of Good Fortune/(At Least)27 Large Ingredients 18Med & Small, 2 Shards Of Power, 2 Shards Of Great Power, 4(At Least) Shards Of Supreme Power/Boots Of The Innocent(Which Are Semi Negated As They Can Be Mailed If Already Owned)
    3) Need To Be Dwarf
    4) Need To Use 2hF

Not My Idea Of Fixing Paladins, Because Alot Of Non Power Gamers Will Never Be Able To Attain These Items, Im A Power Gamer Myself And Ive Done 60+ Titans On My 2hF Barbarian And Havent Looted A Belt Of The Brute Yet, Same With My 2wF Barbarian With 20+ Completions. Only Person Who Has it Actually Is My Caster Who Got It On His 40th Completion.
    Good student.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

CHA - 08 +3 Class Enhancement +1 Tome +6 Item - 18
    Discuss.
    Interesting build.
    One minor point, Dwarfs start with charisma of 6. So it would be:

CHA - 06 + 3 Class Enhancement + 1 Tome + 6 Item = 16

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore61 View Post
    One minor point, Dwarfs start with charisma of 6.
    Huh?! Ever heard of the point buy system and how it works?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore61 View Post
    Interesting build.
    One minor point, Dwarfs start with charisma of 6. So it would be:

CHA - 06 + 3 Class Enhancement + 1 Tome + 6 Item = 16
    Umm.. Unless I put 2 points into Charisma when I rolled the character.

I like the looks of this, and think I will try one out. I will let you know.

Im Kinda Just Scared For This Build, Incase The Dev's Change Wisdom Bonus To Ac, Like They Did With Evasion In Heavy Armor... Except You'll Loose 7 Ac... You Will Still Gain 2 Feats And Evasion, However.

Im Kinda Just Scared For This Build, Incase The Dev's Change Wisdom Bonus To Ac, Like They Did With Evasion In Heavy Armor... Except You'll Loose 7 Ac... You Will Still Gain 2 Feats And Evasion, However.
    It will happen, trust me. It is unintended.

We will still need you in VON 5

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    It will happen, trust me. It is unintended.
    It will NOT happen, it is NOT unintended.

Evasion wasn't 'nerfed', it was fixed to the rules of D&D

Quote Originally Posted by D20 SRD
    At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor
    The same rules of D&D state:

Quote Originally Posted by D20 SRD
    When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
    To 'nerf' this would just be ridiculous, and would deserve the title 'nerf.

It will NOT happen, it is NOT unintended.
    It is unintended. Because:
    1. Pen & Paper rules say unarmored.
    2. Eladrin told me so.

But, that is not important in your case... but currently, you can get the bonus while armored.

So, your build won't be affected.
    Last edited by Borror0; 06-30-2008 at 10:09 PM.

To 'nerf' this would just be ridiculous, and would deserve the title 'nerf.
    Your Only Losing Ac, You Still Gain 2 Feats And Evasion...

Edit: Not Sure If Things That "Uncenter" You Ie: Your Greataxe Will Be Affected By This.
    Last edited by Inspire; 06-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Edit: Not Sure If Things That "Uncenter" You Ie: Your Greataxe Will Be Affected By This.
    It shouldn't. It'd be plain stupid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast