Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gem of Many Facets

I don't know if this have been discussed but the Gem of many Facets (new raid) allows you to equip only one item of certain set bonuses - in other words you could as a low level character have several of Khortons island set bonuses on at the same time getting a early needed boost.

Similarly the Epic version of the trinket provides the possibility to equip several red fen epic items without needing both for the set bonus.

There's a caveat - if you read the item it says something like

Gem of Many Facets - Trinket, Anger's Wrath, Protector's Heart, Nimble Hand, Pathfinders, Devoted Heart, Arcane Mind, Archivist, Troubleshooter

Epic Gem of Many Facets - Trinket, Greater Shaman's Fury, Greater Elder's Knowledge, Greater Vulkoor's Might, Greater Vulkoor's Cunning, Greater Divine Blessing, Greater Siren's Ward, Greater Raven's Eye, Greater Marshwalker, Yellow Augment Slot

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=275755

BUT - it's specific to what item it acts as a set bonus. For the low level version it's all necklaces. You cannot just equip one of the necklaces without the other part and get the set bonus - you have to equip the other part in order to get the set bonus (the trinket 'acts' like the necklace for purpose of giving set bonus).

That's all well and fine; all the unique items you can only get once per TR is the necklace anyways - you can redo the quest that provides the other item as many times as you want.

However - that's not true with the Epic version (red fen set bonuses).

for the greater marshwalker it acts like the ring - so you get the set bonus with the boots, not the ring alone. And for Raven's eye it acts as the gloves - you only get the trinket set bonus if you wear the goggles.

To me that's a slight dissapointment. I can understand the low level version; for that it's fairly easy to get most out of it since the set bonus is always a necklace. But dependent on class or race different parts of the epic red fen bonus can be very useful. When I first heard of the trinket I thought it was a great way of getting a better value out of the red fen epic stuff since they don't come with a augment slot. And for most part they kind of clash with other really good items that provide augment slots (not to mention the ToD rings).

It's not to say you cannot get an okay mix out of the different items that provide some value but that means that I have to unequip certain green steel stuff and other named items I've collected making once more the red fen epic stuff somewhat of a hmm-k kind of items compared to other things. And while the trinket is a very nice idea I feel less compelled to give up the bloodstone or other trinkets for it with these limitations on it.

It's a tough call, but to me the trinket and red fen stuff is slowly sliding into the whole interesting but possibly not worth it territory again.

One way of limiting the effect of it could be that the trinket can only provide 4 set bonus at any given time but acts as the closing circuit for any item equiped. it's a grind and a half to get the stuff anyways but it's frustrating that the limitations only apply to a few items that I can actually use. To put it like this; if there was no limitations I might've be able to equip 2-3 for the effect but with restrictions it's 1 or 2 - and that's not worth giving up a trinket slot that could go to any item like the new unlockes stones, the eardweller or the desert stuff I mentioned.

Personally I'd like Epic to feel epic - it suppose to be the best of the best - even better than green steel in many ways, but whenever something new comes out it always reinforces that green steel is about the only thing worth grinding for and a few of the original epic items that came out.

Didn't know that, kind stinks.

Which piece is it for the claw set? I hope it counts as the gloves, because I love to wear my epic spectrals and get the bonus at the same time.

and a free Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBlue View Post
    I have been convinced that Cupcake was Michael Jackson. I guess I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The AI in this game can be strangled with a cordless phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is a party buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oolung View Post

Didn't know that, kind stinks.

Which piece is it for the claw set? I hope it counts as the gloves, because I love to wear my epic spectrals and get the bonus at the same time.

and a free Bump
    It counts as the bracer for the claw set but what you can do is wear the raven goggles and the claw gloves and get +4 to hit and damage that way and then wear an Sneak Attack item somewhere else.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Thank you for the observations. It does seem to act strangely and non-intuitively. I think many people are surprised by your report as everyone had the same expectation as you did.

5. 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM

I had this feeling since it didn't say that it acted as the set bonus as long as you had one of the items; it writes as if it's the ring, the necklace, the gloves etc. So I decided to grind a little for it including running several of the new raid runs for items to try it out; spend half a day doing Khortos just for the set bonuses

And my gut feeling seems to be right. I understand the limitations but they're kind fo illogical in many ways. I would understand better if it was a matter of HOW many set bonus you could get out of it, as if it had some kind of 'charge' but the limitation to specific items feels like certain classes or races will benefit more from the gem than others. Like the sacred set bonus - it acts like the helmet so you can equip the ring for the set bonus but what if I as a healer have more use of the helmet than the ring because of my ToD set?

I understand that you can always work around the limitations; that's what we do normally but I rather find new items to replace the green steel grind with and that adds more flexibility. I will see if I can find more use out of the gem and red fen stuff but I don't think so for my FvS - maybe my ranger - but with bloodstone I'm not sure it's worth the trade off.

Hey, this is really disappointing. Considering it's epic, considering that this trinket limits you from wearing some of the best DPS items in DDO (bloodstone/LOTD), and that only a few of the Red Fens sets are powerful, why make it so choosy? What's the real risk of someone wanting the raven's gloves and the claw bracers? They're still giving up potentially 2 hit/dam or seeker 8 to get the set bonuses -- theyre just using 3 items instead of 4 to get the set boni.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Huh, interesting. That doesn't seem like it should be the intended functionality. I wonder if the system doesn't support this type of thing properly...

Here's hoping that this item counts towards the set bonus without counting as a specific piece of that set in the not too distant future.

I'm really hoping to see an item come up that I can use as Levik's Defender like this, as well as the other sets. Possibly an item that you can select which set it counts towards through the use of crafting, like epic crafting.

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that it's not WAI. I'd bug report it.

Community Member

I'm going to venture a guess that they can't code it to act as either part of a set because that would make the Gem alone give set bonuses. Which would end up with one item giving every set bonus it lists as possible just by equipping that one item. Purely a guess, however, as I don't know how their code is written and if they can do certain exceptions.
    Vasska - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by TheIvanovFamily View Post
    I'm going to venture a guess that they can't code it to act as either part of a set because that would make the Gem alone give set bonuses. Which would end up with one item giving every set bonus it lists as possible just by equipping that one item. Purely a guess, however, as I don't know how their code is written and if they can do certain exceptions.
    No, they can do it - look at DT armor completing the Levik's/Lorrik's set no matter what other pieces you wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    No, they can do it - look at DT armor completing the Levik's/Lorrik's set no matter what other pieces you wear.
    Thanks, forgot about those.

That means they would have to go and edit how the sets are coded from requiring X & Y (shown by Gem only working with 1 item for each fens set) to requiring Z # of items tagged as a certain set (as Leviks/Lorriks). Not sure how likely they would be to change it in that manner :v
    Vasska - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith

Personally I love the Red Fens sets and I especially enjoy how they are spread out to so many different types of items, it's great twink gear and allows you to get a lot of bonuses at once.

I would be really really really disappointed if they changed that so u had to wear one specific item slot all the time just to get the bonus, it would really limit them.

I mean there is so much great gear in this game, do you really need to have every single piece of it on one toon.....not that it's possible anyways.

Community Member

So it looks like the epic gem works as items that you get as reward from the final quest in the chain.

Community Member

Pray Pray Pray
    BEG BEG BEG

Make the Epic Gem of Many Facets work as the Gloves of the Claw...

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ

Any news on whether this is WAI or a proposed fix.

As it stands it's worthless on any of my toons. However would it work no matter what item was equipped it would at least have some potential for alternate gear setups.
    I am roleplaying. My toons are zergers.

Community Member

Wow, this is seriously disappointing. Here I was, all excited for my monk, because I thought I could finally get both a +4 Insight bonus and +4 dodge bonus to AC (epic gem, epic siren's belt, icy's), and finally get my AC into the realm of mattering, but then this is discovered. I'd still go for it, but the gem counts as the Siren's belt, easily the better of the two items. Also, based on what people are reporting the epic bracers of the claw to be, it's sad because the bracers seem like the better of the two items. Is the second item in the set (the one you get from Into the Deeps) always the better of the two items? If so...weak.

How does it hurt for this item to work like the DT armor? Why can't it replace any one item from the sets instead of a specific one? Again, massively disappointing.

To the OP: did you actually test this out? Would really like to know if this is verified fact, or just speculation (especially with regards to the epic gem). Thanks!
    Last edited by waterboytkd; 10-17-2010 at 01:59 PM.

How disappointing....

and here I thought we had the possibility of actually having an epic selection of gear...

Community Member

Epic Gem of Many Facets makes my Monk happy. Throw that in the trinket slot and combine it with the epic raven and claw sets + Epic Bracers of the Hunter and you're set. It seems better to me then epic spectrals, tharne's, litany, and epic jidz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecore View Post
    Epic Gem of Many Facets makes my Monk happy. Throw that in the trinket slot and combine it with the epic raven and claw sets + Epic Bracers of the Hunter and you're set. It seems better to me then epic spectrals, tharne's, litany, and epic jidz.
    Yes.
    Last edited by KiwiJoe; 10-19-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Twistedmetal - 20 Wizard Profiteer - 20 Monk Fingersmith - 18 Ranger/1 Fighter/1 Rogue Metalfatigue - 20 Barbarian -ELITE RAIDERS-

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    I think the difference there is that the DT set bonuses were actually added as a third piece of the set as opposed to being able to replace either of the other parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast