Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

My biggest problem with the system is “looting” renown. It seems absolutely silly. If you guys really want renown to correspond with a challenge, it should be applied automatically upon the completion of a challenge! It makes absolutely no sense to have to loot it, and choosing it from an end reward sounds like an EXTREMELY poor way to implement it. You shouldn’t have to “choose” reputation in any way, it should just happen based on your actions. Now, maybe a little extra renown for declining a reward could be in order (so n so slayed the enemy and didn’t even want a reward), but implementing it into the DDO loot dynamic is kind of a joke imo.
    Dahnee (Clr) - Ro Shambo (Brb) - Donnie (TR FvS) - Selector (Brd/Rog) - Synthe (Wiz)
    Order of the Silver Dragons (http://silverdragons-lair.net) Argonnessen

Default Update to Suggestion

Renown System
    Currently we only know that you can gain renown for you guild from: Chests with the tokens, Collectible bags with the tokens, and End Rewards from quests that have the tokens.

Something I would like to suggest to make things more interesting to make it better for guild activities:
    • Each objective inside of a quest gives 25 Renown to each person's guild in the quest.
    • Each end boss fight in quests level 1-10 drop a bag for everyone giving 50 renown each.
    • Each mini-bosses for objectives for quests level 11-17 drop a bag for everyone giving 50 renown each.
    • Each end boss fight in quests level 11-17 drop a bag for everyone giving 150 renown each.
    • Each mini-bosses for objectives for quests level 18-25 drop a bag for everyone giving 150 renown each.
    • Each end boss fight in quests level 18-25 drop a bag for everyone giving 500 renown each.
    • Each boss fight in raids level 25(Epic) drop a bag for everyone giving 1,000 renown each.
    • Completing a quest level 1-10 gives 10 renown to your guild.
    • Completing a quest level 11-17 gives 50 renown to your guild.
    • Completing a quest level 18-25 gives 150 renown to your guild.
    • Each rare spawn in explorer zones where Rare Monster CR 1-10 drop a bag for everyone giving 25 renown each.
    • Each rare spawn in explorer zones where Rare Monster CR 11-17 drop a bag for everyone giving 50 renown each.
    • Each rare spawn in explorer zones where Rare Monster CR 18-25 drop a bag for everyone giving 150 renown each.

The above are in addition to the collectible bags that drop in quests. So to those that don't want to search every single collectible bag they still have a decent way to earn Renown for their guilds.

Note that not all quests have end boss fights. Some are just objectives you must do.
    Last edited by Daehawk; 06-08-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Argo: Saveric(18Pal/2Ftg), Daehawk(20Wiz), Syverious(13Rog/6Rng/1Ftr), Katasuki(8Mnk)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant
    (Guild): [Guild] +Tarrant: And then there was the whole "Wait is that me? Rewind. Pause! Looks like my shirt. Think those are my shoes. Definitely my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Well, now this strikes me as a very bad thing.

Just ran a 5 man Reaver with the DDO Daily guild. All 4 chests (including the warded chest) did not have any heroic deeds (renown).

So, we could spend 30 minutes doing a Raid and get no renown. Or we could spend 15 minutes doing a harbor quest and a few hundred.

This is really not seeming balanced. I definitely do NOT want to be spending hours farming low level quests. I'm sincerely hoping this is a bug, and not working as intended.
    I am new to reading about this guild stuff, but I definitely don't want it where you only get renown by raids only.
    Hands you a Cupcake One of Many of the O'Rum Ferretus's

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I am new to reading about this guild stuff, but I definitely don't want it where you only get renown by raids only.
    Not what I meant. Renown should come from any quest at any level. But I think it's rather crazy to run a raid and to not get any renown at all. Especially when it takes so much to make the higher levels.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    My biggest problem with the system is “looting” renown. It seems absolutely silly. If you guys really want renown to correspond with a challenge, it should be applied automatically upon the completion of a challenge! It makes absolutely no sense to have to loot it, and choosing it from an end reward sounds like an EXTREMELY poor way to implement it. You shouldn’t have to “choose” reputation in any way, it should just happen based on your actions. Now, maybe a little extra renown for declining a reward could be in order (so n so slayed the enemy and didn’t even want a reward), but implementing it into the DDO loot dynamic is kind of a joke imo.
    Not trying to change your mind or suggest that your opinion isn't as valid as ours or anyone else's, but all things being subjective, let me explain our thoughts behind this:

You see a little old lady crossing the street. She's having some issues, there are no traffic lights and the road can be dangerous. So you help her. She offers you a $5 reward. You decide NOT to accept the reward (e.g. you did this out of the goodness of your heart).

By foregoing the reward, you just did a good deed and, witnessed by others, your reputation grows.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Not trying to change your mind or suggest that your opinion isn't as valid as ours or anyone else's, but all things being subjective, let me explain our thoughts behind this:

You see a little old lady crossing the street. She's having some issues, there are no traffic lights and the road can be dangerous. So you help her. She offers you a $5 reward. You decide NOT to accept the reward (e.g. you did this out of the goodness of your heart).

By foregoing the reward, you just did a good deed and, witnessed by others, your reputation grows.
    Great explanation, you're really smart folks Turbine .
    My Portal: www.ddopl.com | DDOpl Twiter | DDOpl on Facebook | "Gildia DDOpl"
    Me plays gee-tar.
    "There is no easy way for an honest man today".

Personally, I take issue with looting guild reputation in two ways:

1. I hate looting stuff from mobs with a passion.

2. It feels artificial. Reputation is not material, so why should an item found in a chest or dropped by a mob increase my guild's reputation? From a purely flavor point of view, the best way to implement guild reputation it should be through completing quests ("You rescued the helpless princess from the dragon! What a courageous adventurer!") and/or from killing named mobs ("You killed the dragon! What a powerful guild you are!"). On the other hand, guild reputation dropping from chests and mobs feels silly.
    Last edited by Borror0; 06-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

I've been thinking about it, and here is my suggestion, for what it's worth:

I agree that it is crazy-weird for renown to be only reliably available from dead mob bags. That's just creepy. I think the best system would be to have some probability of renown mostly from end-rewards, with a greater probability of renown (and bigger renown) available as end rewards when you complete a quest on harder difficulties, and also more for finishing higher level quests.

I could even imagine a system whereby the chance of getting renown as an end reward is 100%, but you would have to choose between either individual benefit (taking the loot) or guild benefit (taking the renown).

The amount of renown could be tied directly to the challenge level of the quest, so approximately:
    Level 1-4 quests: 5/10/15/20 renown on casual/norm/hard/elite (with solo only quests treated as 'normal')
    Level 5-8 quests: 15/20/25/30 renown
    Level 9-12 quests: 25/35/45/55 renown
    Level 13-16 quests: 45/60/75/90 renown
    Level 17-20 quests: 75/95/115/135 renown [these are just rough numbers, obviously]

Raids/Epics would be scaled up proportionally. Plus, just like XP, there should be renown ransack penalties for repeatedly finishing quests.

In addition, there could be a possibility (not 100%) of renown from chests associated with named monsters and bosses, especially optionals. Same with named monsters/rares in explorer areas.

EDIT: ninja'ed by dev while I was writing this.

Given the system I would like to see a larger than normal 100% drop renown reward on the list for quest chains, like how the voice always drops from completing deleras.

Completing a quest chain should be worth a lot more renown than a normal quest.

Kambuk

Fair enough, and refusing a reward is valid enough for gaining renown (was a little hasty on my criticism of the end reward aspect at work, kind of contradicted myself and suggested that what you mentioned is a valid approach), but how does this methodology play into looting renown off of a carcass on an adventure where no commonfolk are linguring? Or in any other sort of other looting scenario?

Having to pick up something off the ground to gain a reputation doesn't really make sense, you dont choose to get a reputation...other than by your actions themselves. You also cant 'miss' the impression you make on others by failing to 'pick it up'

Beyond all that, if challenge=renown, it seems to me like they should be directly corrected...and not just as an option. It should automatically apply as the challenge is completed, shouldn't it?
    Last edited by Donnie; 06-08-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    Dahnee (Clr) - Ro Shambo (Brb) - Donnie (TR FvS) - Selector (Brd/Rog) - Synthe (Wiz)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Fair enough, and refusing a reward is valid enough for gaining renown (was a little hasty on my criticism of the end reward aspect at work, kind of contradicted myself and suggested that what you mentioned is a valid approach), but how does this methodology play into looting renown off of a carcass on an adventure where no commonfolk are linguring? Or in any other sort of other looting scenario?

Having to pick up something off the ground to gain a reputation doesn't really make sense, you dont choose to get a reputation...other than by your actions themselves. You also cant 'miss' the impression you make on others by failing to 'pick it up'
    It's simply an abstract way of recognizing your adventuring prowness. We thought it might make the experience a little more enjoyable if, when picking up collectibles, you had a chance of something else.

That being said, while *I* might mindlessly pick up every bag (only because using the hotkey makes it painless), it's pretty clear that most of you don't (and resent having to). So we're looking into changing this so that there would be no pickup required - i.e. it would be automatic and not a choice.

Default A Rose by any other name ...

If they had said you were picking up ears instead for your renown, no one would be complaining about the system or mechanic ...

lol

It's simply an abstract way of recognizing your adventuring prowness. We thought it might make the experience a little more enjoyable if, when picking up collectibles, you had a chance of something else.

That being said, while *I* might mindlessly pick up every bag (only because using the hotkey makes it painless), it's pretty clear that most of you don't (and resent having to). So we're looking into changing this so that there would be no pickup required - i.e. it would be automatic and not a choice.
    Yayyy! I really *really* hate having to pick up those bags. The only ones I ever bother clicking on are the ones in the subter.

(P.S. The hotkey doesn't make it painless for me. It's still a multi-step process: 1) See bag 2) Run over to bag 3) Press backspace and hope it selects the bag instead of some other random nearby object 4) Press "u" )
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Quote Originally Posted by TFPAQ View Post
    If they had said you were picking up ears instead for your renown, no one would be complaining about the system or mechanic ...

lol
    Not true. It's not the nomenclature, it's the annoyance of having to pick up bags. Especially since all bags look alike and so there is no way to determine whether or not it's worth the time to wait around after every dead thing to see if there is a bag to collect.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

To be honest, I also pick up most every collectible, in hopes that it gets included into crafting in the future

However, most people I know dont do this, and to be honest I would kind of feel silly having to encourage others to do so knowing they dont find it fun.

Either way, thanks for the responses and for considering a change in this mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    Not true. It's not the nomenclature, it's the annoyance of having to pick up bags. Especially since all bags look alike and so there is no way to determine whether or not it's worth the time to wait around after every dead thing to see if there is a bag to collect.
    Hrm, that makes me wonder if there's a way to make the 'renown' bags a different color from the normal purple collectible bags? Then once it dropped, you would know right away to pick it up.

You know though, the whole thing makes me think, why not give more use to the collectors by having collectable turn ins count towards renown as well. Not as a primary source, but as an additional way of gaining it. It actually makes sense and could interject some more life into a system that many see as meaningless without making it forced.

Personally, I haven't turned in a collectible in years. I just pick em up looking for crafting ingredients, and hoard the rest in hope that some day they are worth something. However I wouldn't mind turning in a few hundred loadstones if they actually meant more than a level 3 scroll (which are completely worthless to anyone but a brand spanking new player). If that collector was going to spread my guilds name around town, it may be worth it once and awhile when the guild needs a boost.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'd love to check out the new drop rates of renown...but unfortunately, Lamannia is still down.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Community Member

Auto collect would been nice... freaking click click click... Though problem with the bag system is it leaves more up to chance then it would be with quest completions and objective completions. I want the guild at the top to be the ones doing the dragon epic, dq epic, epic quest, tod, abbot, not someone that become good at collecting bags off epic von 1 mobs. Not saying other guilds do not have the chance to gain rank, but the ones that should be hitting the ranks frist are the ones completing hard quest not farming renown. That is way do not like the bag collecting.

Are there any negatives in the system toward being a large sized guild? Perhaps I missed it, but I do not see any negatives. My guild is a very tight small to medium sized guild this system would seem to hurt us. Any chance that you would be weight the degrading of renown for guild size i.e. an extremely active guild is more likley to prevent degradation then a guild where many of its members are less active.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast